App Recommendations?

by Courtney on September 22, 2012

Soooo, here we are. Another lovely Saturday in September. And in a couple short hours, I’ll be out the door and off to…you guessed it…another wedding. I’m tellin’ ya – it’s caraaaaaazy wedding season around here this year!

But don’t get me wrong, I really do love weddings. And today’s is going to be extra special because it’s for my cousin, Denise. You may remember me attending her shower and bachelorette party this past summer, and today’s the big day. The wedding is pretty much an ALL day event too, so I have no doubt that it’s going to be fantastic.

It also has an early ceremony, which means that I need to quit yappin’ and finish up this post so I can get ready without hubby rushing me along…so here we go.

Breakfast this morning may sound boring. Toast and coffee. But I promise you…it was anything but boring.

In fact, with all the flavors I had goin’ on, it was more like a party.

First up was a pumpkin + almond butter combo, topped with banana slices, raisins, and chia seeds.

And next up, because I can’t get enough of it, classic PB&J topped with more chia seeds.

I am on a SERIOUS PB&J kick this week. I don’t know what my deal is.

As for my latest toy…

I actually haven’t had much time to play around with it yet! We had to rush to leave after Jay got home from work yesterday, so we didn’t get to activate them. We spent the evening out for dinner and drinks with our friends Joe & Kate and didn’t get home until late. BUT, they are activated now, and I have had a little bit of time to download some essential apps (Facebook, Twitter, Pinterest, Instagram) and transfer my contacts.

So now I’m trying to figure out what other apps or fun stuff I need to download…do you have any app recommendations for me?? The App Store intimidates me. Help!

Alright, it’s time to go get readyyyyy. Happy Saturday!

(p.s. – I think I’ve answered all of your cupcake questions from the last post – if I missed any, just yell at me)

1 Khushboo September 22, 2012 at 9:46 am

Pretty pretty toy :)! Download frametastic- great for making collages to upload on insta!
Khushboo recently posted..Five Favorites For Friday

2 Briana September 22, 2012 at 10:01 am

I like mapmyfitness to track my running or hiking distances and of course the pinterest app!

3 Brandi September 22, 2012 at 10:04 am

Thanks for answering my question Courtney! Have a great day at your cousins wedding! :)

4 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 22, 2012 at 10:07 am

I really love FX Studio and PicFrame for photo editing! Have a fun time at the wedding :)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... exercising on vacation .

5 Blog is the New Black September 22, 2012 at 10:21 am

Words with Friends, Runtastic/RunKeeper, LOVE camera+ for pics and snapseed (but that one is a whopping $5, but worth it I think!), there is also fingerfocus, which is cool. Foodgawker is great to have on your phone, methinks! The STARBUCKS app may came in handy for you and your #psl!!! I like GWhizz for my google reader. Amazon and Etsy if you are an online shopping addict…. and I usually scan to see what the top 25 free ones are, etc… just experiment!!! :) Enjoy!

6 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles September 22, 2012 at 10:25 am

Pandora for sure!!! Along with Nike+ Running for outdoor runs- it’s wonderful! ….I’m also a fan of Camera+ for photos…… All sorts of good stuff out there just watch to see how much space they will take up on your phone :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Almond Butter

7 Mailoha September 22, 2012 at 10:38 am

AT&T app, youtube, pandora….

8 Kelsey Y. September 22, 2012 at 10:40 am

My 4S was the best money I spent, especially for someone who LOVES to be organized.
Here are some suggestions:
– Clear: to make lists
– The Weather Channel: it is a MUST (much better than the regular weather app)
– Map My Run: it uses GPS to track you; love it (good gadget since I don’t have a “watch” GPS yet)
– Pandora / Songza / Spotify: all great for music; Pandora explains itself, Songza gives music suggestions for a particular time of day, and Spotify is just awesome!
– Wordpress: still getting my first blog up and running (!!) but I’m certain this will help!

I could go on and on, but those are some of my staples on my iPhone!

9 Tara September 23, 2012 at 12:00 am

I agree. Map my run is the best. It obviously maps your distance, but calories and pace. NFL 12, Shazam, Starbucks, Safeway, Words with Friends, and Googe Chrome are always good apps if you dont have them already!

10 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey September 22, 2012 at 10:43 am

You are certainly a busy wedding go’er this summer/fall! Sheesh! :) have fun!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

11 Abbie September 22, 2012 at 11:02 am

All of above mentioned are great. Also, Shazam for when you’re in the car and a song comes on the radio and you NEED to know the name of it. ScannerPro is nice, but I got it for super cheap when it was on sale (idk how much it is normally).

12 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 22, 2012 at 11:02 am

Have a great time at the wedding! I think I’m going to join the iPhone family this weekend ;)

13 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance September 22, 2012 at 11:07 am

Pandora, Flixter (for movies), Keychain (to organize all the stores that want you to carry a discount card like Ulta, Jewel, etc). Have fun!
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Friday’s Five!

14 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath September 22, 2012 at 11:08 am

I’ve been on a major PB&J kick lately too, and I’m not sure why! :)

Also–my phone is an Android, but I love the Nike + app, Picasa for photos, and Pandora! Have a great day! :)
Amanda @ Let Me Be What’s Underneath recently posted..Fall Bucket List!

15 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers September 22, 2012 at 11:11 am

Your breakfast looks delish! Sorry I have no app recommendations!!! Have a great weekend!!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Comment on Green Tea Frappe by marbaird

16 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat September 22, 2012 at 11:15 am

Pandora and Heytell
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Tough Mudder Utah 2012

17 Chelsea @ GlitterAndSweat September 22, 2012 at 11:32 am

I love putting raisins on my toast!! it just tastes so good!! enjoy your wedding :)
Chelsea @ GlitterAndSweat recently posted..Old Man Creeps!!

18 Megan S. September 22, 2012 at 11:35 am

I like Fooducate – you can type in a specific food or brand of food and it will tell you the grade and why. Makes you think sometimes! All the ones listed above are great too. And…Scramble with Friends for a game app!

19 Emily Petersen September 22, 2012 at 11:37 am

i love my banking apps! i can check my wells fargo and pay my cc through the chase app. its great!

20 Molly Antos September 22, 2012 at 11:42 am

I think you should download the instagram app! you’d take some good pictures :)

21 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction September 22, 2012 at 12:14 pm

Sound Hound – If there is a song on the radio you don’t know you can have the app listen and it will tell you the song and who sings it.
I also like PicFrame $.99 – After you are done you can upload to instagram, edit some more, then post.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..My Monday

22 Ellie@Fit for the Soul September 22, 2012 at 12:47 pm

I don’t have an iphone but my husband does! Errr haha, this may sound TMI but he looooves to record my symptoms and moods, etc. and sometimes asks me to do it, on this app he has that helps you know your menstrual cycle. Pretty much b/c I’m terrible at that kind of stuff and never know what’s coming, and it also doesn’t help that my symptoms vary from month to month. I thought you might like this because you’re on your road to better health with the whole HA issue…:) I hope it’s helpful! Have fun at the wedding Courtney!
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Fitness Vlog and Hazelnut Cappuccino Bread

23 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes September 22, 2012 at 12:49 pm

I use the Starbucks, Dunkin’ Donuts, and Weather Channel apps most frequently. Coffee and weather are very important. :)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Tastes Like Childhood

24 Meghan @ After the Ivy League September 22, 2012 at 1:28 pm

Have fun at the wedding! I’m actually heading to one too today, but I don’t need to leave the house till a little after 3, so I’m still hanging around. First time meeting The Boy’s parents and family….ack! I’m nervous
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Tastes Like Childhood

25 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake September 22, 2012 at 1:29 pm

Many people already said this, but of course, Pandora!

I also love all of the different photo apps out there… one of my favorites is Aviary!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..A Lovely Little Friday

26 Jessi September 22, 2012 at 1:30 pm

There’s an app where you can bet that you’re going to do your workout and make money – how cool is that?! It’s called Gym Pact

27 Kelsey September 22, 2012 at 2:22 pm

My fave apps are Songza, shazam, charity miles, endomondo, gymboss, flashlight, gmail, myfitnesspal, and solitaire!
Kelsey recently posted..Comment on Paperback Love by Bethaney

28 Melissa September 22, 2012 at 2:32 pm

My period tracker. It’s free and I think might useful with some of the challenges you have dealt with lately. I have normal cycles, but I like to keep track of my bloating, acne breakouts, moods, etc.

29 Megan@funsizedfitness September 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm

You’ve got to try Words with Friends! I play it with my in-laws all of the time…so fun! (it’s like Scrabble, but better :) )
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..Warehouse Clubs…Yay or Nay?

30 Michelle@Peachy Palate September 22, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Random interest…as I have no app recommendations! What are your favourite peanut butter and almond butters???
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..My favourite alternative

31 Courtney September 24, 2012 at 9:40 am

Favorite PB butter is probably Jif Natural or Skippy Natural. Favorite almond butter would have to be Justin’s :)

32 Michelle@Peachy Palate September 24, 2012 at 11:14 am

I’m a big Justins fan but lately I’ve been loving no stir Maranatha Almond butter, so creamy!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A new plan of action

33 Kelsey@ kelseyruns September 22, 2012 at 3:43 pm

The Nike running app is great for tracking walks and runs, it even gives you cheers when you complete a goal! I love picstitch for making fun photo collages for instagram! If this is your first iphone, welcome to the family! You’ll never get another non-iphone again :)
Kelsey@ kelseyruns recently posted..Fall is in the air

34 Divya @ Eat. Teach. Blog September 22, 2012 at 4:15 pm

I love Pandora and FitRadio.

Also I downloaded Yelp – I use this A LOT. Especially in a new town, because of the built-in GPS, to find out restaurants and attractions near you.

Netflix! Sometimes if you’re just doing a casual walk on the treadmill, it’s nice to be able to watch something.

The Starbucks app – obviously. :) You can just scan your phone to pay, which is great when I go for a run (in the direction of Starbs). I don’t need to take anything but my phone!

Pinterest!

And Find iPhone app
Divya @ Eat. Teach. Blog recently posted..Classroom of Success

35 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 22, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Diptic is great for creating photo collages, iMensies is great for those “lady” times, MyLists for creating grocery lists, and Words With Friends. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fall 2012 Bucket List

36 Katie September 22, 2012 at 5:02 pm

Man oh man, where to start with apps?!? Getting a new iPhone is so much fun! Most people have mentioned the ones I would also suggest, just to reiterate; picstich (for collages), Gymboss (just as good as having the real thing), Nike Training (tons of free workouts), SoundCloud (lots of fun dj mixes on here for free), Groceries (great for making lists & you can email to someone else) & Around Me (great for finding something in an unfamiliar area). Enjoy all of the fun new “toys”!
Katie recently posted..Watering the Golf Course

37 Anne Marie September 22, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I just recently stumbled onto your blog, and I have really enjoyed reading it so far! I noticed that you bake a lot of cupcakes which I can relate to I love baking cupcakes:) An app that I found really helpful was the Micheals app because you can get coupons almost every day and the cashier can scan them right at the cash (or at least thats what they do in canada!) And I found they have a lot of cupcake stuff like liners, tips and cute little decorations.

38 Bek @ Crave September 22, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Your breakfast looks yum! Only buy free apps- it’s the only way to go ;) Get bump- easy to transfer files amongst phones.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Mad Mex

39 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 22, 2012 at 6:03 pm

Have fun at the wedding!! :) I love weddings!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Why didn’t I think of that?

40 Linz @ Itz Linz September 22, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Words with friends is a fun game… if you like scrabble.. you can play against people you know or randoms and itz on your own time… you can have multiple games going and just make a move when you have time which I like :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..I’m a… Lion?

41 dee September 23, 2012 at 1:57 am

I don’t have the iphone, but I do have an ipod touch! So I’m currently addicted to instagram (dtea2!), jewels with buddies, podcasts (“stuff you should know” and “stuff you missed in history class”), aviary and labelbox (for photos), bag it yes, a game where you bag groceries, haha), logosquiz, hanging with friendsn and flixter! I think those are my top apps at the moment :)

42 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness September 23, 2012 at 8:49 am

I’m dying to switch over to an i phone! Can’t wait to read through all your app recommendations! Hopefully I’ll be needing them soon too!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Pumpkin Post Workout Power Cookies

43 Shannon September 23, 2012 at 11:44 am

I highly recommend The Weather Channel app as well. It’s quite useful.

Other apps I have and are great are Movies by Flixster (so you can see what movies are coming in theaters from as late as 2014, and movie showtimes to theaters located near you). They also have release dates of movies onto DVDs so you can know ahead of time when your favorite movie is out. Pandora Radio is a must- I use it more than I do my own music to find new songs to buy for my iPod…but it drains the battery sometimes. :( I also have Zap 2 It’s What’s On? app which shows tv listings and you can mark your favorite shows. Once those shows are marked as favorites, you now know when the next episode airs up to 2 weeks ahead of time! If you want different backgrounds for your home screen, I recommend an app called Backgrounds. Some of them are really pretty/cool.

Finally, I have an app called Sit or Squat. It detects the cleanest public bathrooms from where you are so if you have to go and don’t want to use a dirty bathroom, that solves your problem. It also shows the stores’ hours so you know if they’re closed or not.