A Humbling Experience

by Courtney on September 26, 2012

Ohhhhh boy, was today’s lunch a good one.

So far this week, I’ve been pretty snacky when it comes to lunchtime. Nothing has been sounding overly appealing to me and I’ve basically just been snacking my way through in an attempt to find something that satisfies me. Not the most ideal situation, but hey, it happens.

Today, however, I was alll about a real lunch. First, I steamed up the rest of my container of cauliflower (which ended up being more than I expected, awesomeness) in the microwave with a olive oil and some spices.

The cauliflower was good…but this wrap was WAY better. I loaded up a LaTortilla Factory low-carb whole wheat wrap with lettuce tomato, hummus, turkey bacon, provolone cheese, and avocado.

It just really hit the spot. Don’t you love when that happens??

Earlier today before lunch, I headed down to the basement to bust out my Timed Stability Ball Circuit Workout. Seeing as though this is probably the hardest I’ve worked at a workout since, umm, May?, I decided to keep it easy and just stuck with two rounds instead of three.

Talk about a humbling experience…

It’s sort of incredibly sad just how much of my strength endurance I’ve lost; suddenly, my 10lb dumbbells feel like lead rods. But you know, that’s alright…I’m okay with it. I’ve got the rest of my life to worry about workin’ on those ‘ol guns of mine. Winking smile

*****

Jay and I are having company over tonight and I’ve got lots of yummy food on the agenda. Gotta love a dinner date with friends to break up the week!

Question for the Afternoon:

What do you your mid-week evenings typically look like? Free of plans, always on the go, a little mix of both?

1 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud September 26, 2012 at 3:03 pm

mid week evenings are usually pretty mellow for me! Which is a welcome change. Summer was busy in general – so it is nice to have a few nights of “down time” now!

2 Natalie @ Free Range Human September 26, 2012 at 3:04 pm

We are homebodies in the extreme so our weeknights almost always consist of catching up on our favorite TV shows and out like a light by 10:00 ;)
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Ramblings on a Random Tuesday

3 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries September 26, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I had quite the humbling experience when I tried to do some running intervals on the treadmill this weekend… Ha! Wowee! It felt like I had never run a day in my life!
Most of our evenings are pretty chill during the week except on Wednesdays, which is when we have church. Cody helps with the youth group, and I am in charge of the 5th/6th grade group.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #53: A Rainy Day

4 Kerry @ Totes My Oats September 26, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I love your workout attitude! I tell myself the same thing and it just gives me more motivation to move forward.
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Fall Bucket List

5 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine September 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I have been trying to keep it pretty mellow lately and just spend my time unpacking after work in the evenings. It’s always nice to go out with friends though :)
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Garlic Broth for soup

6 Beks September 26, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I have two jobs, plus volunteering, so Wednesdays are my only nights off. I usually crash on the couch and watch TV with my dad. I used to be available seven days a week, but I’ve been so zonky lately that giving myself one day to not work has helped a LOT.

As for the workouts, when I moved back home, I’d been getting pretty active, but then life got in the way, and I ran out of time in the day. Stepping on the treadmill again after having not worked out in awhile, I was amazed how quickly I got out of breath. Something to work back to, I suppose.

7 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets September 26, 2012 at 3:29 pm

My weeknights really vary! I usually have one or two nights at home during the week (to blog, do chores, workout, etc) and then are out all the others. It sometimes feels like I don’t have enough “down” time!
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..09.23.12 weekend wrap + weekly plan

8 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom September 26, 2012 at 3:46 pm

Turkey Bacon and Provolone in the same wrap, of COURSE it was good!!!

This week has been pretty calm for us but it is usually filled with homework and cheer practice for my daughter. Thankfully that has dropped to one day per week so we are able to relax a bit more in the evenings.
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..WIAW #15 = Semi Couch to 5K

9 Courtney September 26, 2012 at 3:47 pm

Tuesday nights we hang out with friends. My husband goes with the boys for a beer while us girls shop, get our nails done, etc.. Its a nice way to break up the week! I can’t wait to try the stability workout tomorrow morning. I’ve been slacking lately..

10 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie September 26, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I’m there with running right now and it’s a little depressing, but you have the right outlook! I’m excited for your foods!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Not What I Planned

11 Lauren September 26, 2012 at 3:52 pm

Girl you are so much stronger than you know. Your strength always carries me through. ;)
Lauren recently posted..Coffee Sex Talk: Dads Degrading Women

12 Alexandra September 26, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I’ve been completely cutting back on workouts for the exact same reasons that you have expressed here on your blog. While it was pretty difficult at first, it has been getting a bit easier lately as I am seeing “progress in the feminine field” haha I keep reminding myself I’ve got my WHOLE LIFE to focus on getting in shape and getting buns of steel! Gotta prioritize!! ;)

13 Brittany @ Little b's healthy habits September 26, 2012 at 4:00 pm

Usually a little mix of both. I try to do yoga about 2-3 times a week, but the other nights are spent either blogging or just relaxing with the fiance.
Brittany @ Little b’s healthy habits recently posted..My Knee!! And What I Ate Wednesday

14 Megan@funsizedfitness September 26, 2012 at 4:09 pm

My mid-week nights are usually pretty low-key…tv watching and going on walks after dinner are the typical events. Oh, but on Tuesday nights I go to Turbo Kick!
*Your wrap looks really good – I need to buy some more LaTortilla Factory wraps!
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..Bananas, Bananas, and More Bananas!

15 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles September 26, 2012 at 4:16 pm

This week my nightly plans are busy – a BBQ tonight and out for dinner tomorrow night. Otherwise, I’m all about the relaxing nights at home during the week!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW #3–Relearning My Tastebuds.

16 Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats September 26, 2012 at 4:18 pm

Well, with two little ones and me working part time (just Tues-Thurs) our mid weeks are often busier than our weekends! But, I relish once the kids are in bed and I can sit down with my book, or my fave TV show, or my husband and just RELAX.

17 Amy September 26, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Courtney,
I wanted to let you know that I recently found/discovered your Blog. Wonderful Blog…and by-the-way, I really can relate A LOT with your story and experiences in many ways. I am really looking forward to taking more time to read through your recipes and posts.

I recently began my own Blog…so I’m all new to this. Do you mind “sharing” with some of your readers my site to draw more people over there? I’d really appreciate it, if you could. Thank you! It’s found at:

~Amy
Amy recently posted..Kashi & Yogurt Protein Shake – Recipe

18 Michelle@Peachy Palate September 26, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Just come from a midweek tutorial…it’s 10pm and I’m tucked up in bed :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Stepping outside my box

19 michelle kim September 26, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Oooh… I’ve lost a lot of muscles and strength, too! I used to play-wrestle my boyfriend and be able to break free. These days, I’m nowhere near being able to compete.
michelle kim recently posted..I Ran to the Ocean

20 Amanda @ .running with spoons. September 26, 2012 at 6:12 pm

Oh that wrap looks good! I just adore the combination of turkey, cheese, avocado, and hummus – it never, ever fails to satisfy. And I know what you mean about how humbling it can be to get back into working out after taking some time off… I don’t even want to know how much strength and stamina I’ve lost over the past few months! But like you said, it’s definitely not something that’s been lost forever, and there’ll be a time to work on it again :)

Have a great evening!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... treating yourself and a typical tuesday… .

21 Shannon September 26, 2012 at 6:23 pm

Middle of the week nights are pretty relaxed. Wednesdays are the days to get a little bit of homework done- I have a bunch of free periods on Thursday- and watch The Middle and Modern Family. Are you watching the premiere tonight?

22 Danica @ It's Progression September 26, 2012 at 6:23 pm

That wrap sounds delicious!
As far as weekday evenings, I definitely like them to be low-key. After a full day of teaching I’m wiped out and if I can make it to the couch by 7 or 8, if at all, it’s a good night :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..9.25: McDonald’s to Post Calories and the Yellow Umbrella

23 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance September 26, 2012 at 6:56 pm

Great perspective, Courtney!
And don’t worry– A baby will make up for that 10 pound weight after about a day or two (from what I hear ;) )
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..Parm on Parm

24 Kristen @ notsodomesticated September 26, 2012 at 8:26 pm

Definitely a little of both. I don’t like to be busy every night, but I usually have a couple of things scheduled during the week … usually a Bible study or dinner/coffee with a friend. :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..There’s something I’ve been meaning to tell you …

25 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More September 26, 2012 at 9:47 pm

I had done mostly body weight training workouts lately so now that I’ve started using free weights and weight machines at the gym again, I’ve definitely had a few humbling experiences. I’ve been thankful it’s coming back quickly but definitely a reminder that I need (and want) a combination of everything in my workout regime so I’m always staying at my best.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

26 Kelsey@ kelseyruns September 26, 2012 at 11:09 pm

Mid week evenings are always pretty mellow come fall time! During the summer I feel like no matter what night of the week it is there is ALWAYS something going on. It’s nice to have mellow nights to just relax and of course catch up on all the new fall TV!
Kelsey@ kelseyruns recently posted..What I’m lovin’ Wednesday!

27 Iris Lee September 26, 2012 at 11:34 pm

I know what you means about being humbled by fitness. I recently sprained my ankle and have been avoiding all cardio/jumping/impact to help it recover, and I was so shocked when I got winded going up and down the stairs a couple times today. I definitely agree with you that other priorities (whether it’s helping your body heal or letting my ankle recover) may sometimes take precedence over our fitness goals!
Iris Lee recently posted..Shoe Heaven and Vanilla Date Pear Muffins

28 Ellie@Fit for the Soul September 27, 2012 at 12:38 am

Wow, nice job for such a great attitude Courtney! I hope you keep on hanging in there and do what your mind and body need, instead of what they tell you that you SHOULD be doing. :)
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..The Crazy Happenings

29 Khushboo September 27, 2012 at 1:00 am

I sometimes feel the same with running- a year ago, 4 miles used to be an easy run for me…these days anything over 3 feels like a long run. The good thing is that one form of activity is not the only indicator of health and fitness! :)

30 Miz September 27, 2012 at 5:41 am

Im so boring.

you can guess what my weeknights are like :)
Miz recently posted..Blog reading: fun relaxation or necessary evil?

31 Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl September 27, 2012 at 8:30 am

I feel the same way when I haven’t ridden my horse in awhile and then I get on and expect to have the same endurance I had. Its amazing how fast are strength goes away and yet how long it takes to gain it back. :/
Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl recently posted..{Giveaway} E3 Elite Equine Evolution Horse Products

32 Faith @ The Cheap Girl's Guide to Chic September 27, 2012 at 9:14 am

Sometimes, I think we need humbling fitness experiences. I helps remind us that there’s more to life than working out. Like you said, we have our entire lives to get jaaaaacked ;)

And as for weekday nights, I’m usually wiped after work and prefer to keep things low-key. Cook dinner, watch some NFL or a light movie, and just relax. Last night I went out though, and I really enjoyed breaking up the usual monotony!

33 Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset September 27, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Such a good attitude regarding your loss of strength and endurance. I am experiencing the same exact thing. You are a constant source of inspiration on my own path to recovery and gaining back my monthly lady friend ;)
Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset recently posted..Food Bucket List

34 Min September 27, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I can totally relate to what you mean…makes me really sad, but you’re right! We have the whole rest of our lives to work on our muscles! Just temporary…
Min recently posted..Weekend Getaway in Sunny California

35 Bek @ Crave September 27, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Mid week I’m usually plan free- although I’ll have work and Body Step classes to teach.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Lorna Jane Skort