A Humbling Experience

Ohhhhh boy, was today’s lunch a good one.

So far this week, I’ve been pretty snacky when it comes to lunchtime. Nothing has been sounding overly appealing to me and I’ve basically just been snacking my way through in an attempt to find something that satisfies me. Not the most ideal situation, but hey, it happens.

Today, however, I was alll about a real lunch. First, I steamed up the rest of my container of cauliflower (which ended up being more than I expected, awesomeness) in the microwave with a olive oil and some spices.

The cauliflower was good…but this wrap was WAY better. I loaded up a LaTortilla Factory low-carb whole wheat wrap with lettuce tomato, hummus, turkey bacon, provolone cheese, and avocado.

It just really hit the spot. Don’t you love when that happens??

Earlier today before lunch, I headed down to the basement to bust out my Timed Stability Ball Circuit Workout. Seeing as though this is probably the hardest I’ve worked at a workout since, umm, May?, I decided to keep it easy and just stuck with two rounds instead of three.

Talk about a humbling experience…

It’s sort of incredibly sad just how much of my strength endurance I’ve lost; suddenly, my 10lb dumbbells feel like lead rods. But you know, that’s alright…I’m okay with it. I’ve got the rest of my life to worry about workin’ on those ‘ol guns of mine. Winking smile

*****

Jay and I are having company over tonight and I’ve got lots of yummy food on the agenda. Gotta love a dinner date with friends to break up the week!

Question for the Afternoon:

What do you your mid-week evenings typically look like? Free of plans, always on the go, a little mix of both?

Comments

I had quite the humbling experience when I tried to do some running intervals on the treadmill this weekend… Ha! Wowee! It felt like I had never run a day in my life!
    Most of our evenings are pretty chill during the week except on Wednesdays, which is when we have church. Cody helps with the youth group, and I am in charge of the 5th/6th grade group.
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #53: A Rainy Day

I have two jobs, plus volunteering, so Wednesdays are my only nights off. I usually crash on the couch and watch TV with my dad. I used to be available seven days a week, but I’ve been so zonky lately that giving myself one day to not work has helped a LOT.

As for the workouts, when I moved back home, I’d been getting pretty active, but then life got in the way, and I ran out of time in the day. Stepping on the treadmill again after having not worked out in awhile, I was amazed how quickly I got out of breath. Something to work back to, I suppose.

3. Courtney says

Tuesday nights we hang out with friends. My husband goes with the boys for a beer while us girls shop, get our nails done, etc.. Its a nice way to break up the week! I can’t wait to try the stability workout tomorrow morning. I’ve been slacking lately..

4. Alexandra says

I’ve been completely cutting back on workouts for the exact same reasons that you have expressed here on your blog. While it was pretty difficult at first, it has been getting a bit easier lately as I am seeing “progress in the feminine field” haha I keep reminding myself I’ve got my WHOLE LIFE to focus on getting in shape and getting buns of steel! Gotta prioritize!! 😉

Well, with two little ones and me working part time (just Tues-Thurs) our mid weeks are often busier than our weekends! But, I relish once the kids are in bed and I can sit down with my book, or my fave TV show, or my husband and just RELAX.

Courtney,
    I wanted to let you know that I recently found/discovered your Blog. Wonderful Blog…and by-the-way, I really can relate A LOT with your story and experiences in many ways. I am really looking forward to taking more time to read through your recipes and posts.

I recently began my own Blog…so I’m all new to this. Do you mind “sharing” with some of your readers my site to draw more people over there? I’d really appreciate it, if you could. Thank you! It’s found at:

~Amy
    Amy recently posted..Kashi & Yogurt Protein Shake – Recipe

Oh that wrap looks good! I just adore the combination of turkey, cheese, avocado, and hummus – it never, ever fails to satisfy. And I know what you mean about how humbling it can be to get back into working out after taking some time off… I don’t even want to know how much strength and stamina I’ve lost over the past few months! But like you said, it’s definitely not something that’s been lost forever, and there’ll be a time to work on it again :)

Have a great evening!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... treating yourself and a typical tuesday… .

8. Shannon says

Middle of the week nights are pretty relaxed. Wednesdays are the days to get a little bit of homework done- I have a bunch of free periods on Thursday- and watch The Middle and Modern Family. Are you watching the premiere tonight?

I had done mostly body weight training workouts lately so now that I’ve started using free weights and weight machines at the gym again, I’ve definitely had a few humbling experiences. I’ve been thankful it’s coming back quickly but definitely a reminder that I need (and want) a combination of everything in my workout regime so I’m always staying at my best.
    Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

I know what you means about being humbled by fitness. I recently sprained my ankle and have been avoiding all cardio/jumping/impact to help it recover, and I was so shocked when I got winded going up and down the stairs a couple times today. I definitely agree with you that other priorities (whether it’s helping your body heal or letting my ankle recover) may sometimes take precedence over our fitness goals!
    Iris Lee recently posted..Shoe Heaven and Vanilla Date Pear Muffins

I sometimes feel the same with running- a year ago, 4 miles used to be an easy run for me…these days anything over 3 feels like a long run. The good thing is that one form of activity is not the only indicator of health and fitness! :)

Sometimes, I think we need humbling fitness experiences. I helps remind us that there’s more to life than working out. Like you said, we have our entire lives to get jaaaaacked 😉

And as for weekday nights, I’m usually wiped after work and prefer to keep things low-key. Cook dinner, watch some NFL or a light movie, and just relax. Last night I went out though, and I really enjoyed breaking up the usual monotony!