First Session of the Challenge

Well good afternoon! I’m so, so excited to see that there’s already bunch of you who are IN for the October Yoga Challenge. Hopefully by month’s end, we’ll all be nice and limber and feeling totally OHM-tastic.

I actually got things kicked off early this morning with my first session of the challenge!

IMG_0104IMG_0105

A very humbling 30 minutes of Jillian Michaels’ Level 1 of Yoga Meltdown. I say humbling because, good lord, was I feeling out of it. It definitely was not my best yoga session ever, but hey, they can’t all be great, right? Regardless, I was still happy I did it and am feeling super pumped for this challenge.

Before I hit the yoga mat though, I actually made a date with the treadmill for a little interval walk with some inclines.

Overall, today’s workout lasted a bit longer than usual, but it felt good after taking the weekend off. Monday mornings are always a great motivator for me to get back to business.

Also motivating me today was the fact that I had a yummy breakfast waiting for me once I was finished up.

We’re all out of eggs right now so I had to stick with egg whites this morning; I paired about 1/2 cup of egg whites with fresh spinach, grape tomatoes, and ketchup.

On the side was the thing I was most looking forward to: a slice of browned butter banana bread topped with some peanut butter.

I know I mentioned this yesterday and a few of you are curious about the recipe…I’d love to say it was mine, but the credit has to go to Cooking Light. I came across THIS RECIPE in my latest issue of the magazine and had been waiting ever since for a batch of overripe bananas.

My changes: half whole wheat flour and no glaze (although I’m sure it’s incredible)

I would absolutely, 100% recommend you try this recipe out. The caramelized bananas are, well, just that…bananas. Winking smile

I spent most of the morning working on a few odds and ends and by the time 12:00 hit, I was ready for a little lunch.

I put together a little snack plate with baby carrots + hummus, an apple + peanut butter, and a handful of Sea Salt Chip-Ins (aka, my latest salty snack obsession that I have been chowing on for the past three days).

Now that I’ve got a full belly, I think I’m safe to take care of the grocery shopping.

Empty stomach + Courtney grocery shopping = a not-so-happy wallet or hubby. Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

What are some things you’re looking forward to this October??

Comments

mmmmmmmmmm your breakfast is making me want banana bread now :) I like your yoga challenge – I have only done bikram 3 times and I just get so bored. I need to make it a point to relax more and yoga is obviously good for that. I love JM so I will check out her dvd..thanks!

October is a great month! loving all things pumpkin.. who isn’t?!
    Eva @ Committed2Nutrition recently posted..October already? Weekend things. FULL FAT dairy baby

Ohh if only I could get my bananas to that perfect state of ripeness. I tend to go through them like crazy so they never quite make it there before I end up eating them first… Your banana bread seriously has me craving some, though, so I think I’m going to have to hide some bananas from myself and bake up a loaf.

What am I most looking forward to this month? Halloween! Seriously can’t wait to start working on a costume and picking up some candy :D
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... monthly favorites – september 2012 .

3. Briana says

Honeycrisp apples! I had my first one today and it was amazing. Too bad they are so expensive. I bought 3 and it somehow ended up being $4.50? Whatever, I can plan my budget around them :)

I like how the number of servings of that bread is 16 according to the website. I have NEVER in my life been able to get 16 servings out of a loaf of quick bread. Not even 12. It’s more like 8 or 10, if I’m lucky. I would be very curious to know how they get 16 servings. I mean, what are they slicing it with? Dental floss?
    Shana recently posted..Hungry Games

5. kristin says

October is one of my favorite months – I love going to all the different hayrides and pumpkin patches with my daughter and family. Carmel apples, ANYTHING pumpkin and the fall weather.

Did you know target (PA) is now selling the Justin’s almond butter!!! – I finally got to try some and omg it was wonderful! fully addicted

6. Kelsey LaPaglia says

You must have used the cooking light recipe for that bread! Made it last week and it was to die for!

I’ve been actually trying to talk myself into incorporating more yoga into my routine now that I’m training for a half marathon and my body seems to be sore more often than not. You just might have brought this up at the right time ;) I’m excited for all of the Halloween themed decorations-I feel like once Halloween comes around, the holidays are in full swing, and it’s my favorite time of the year!
    Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..Weekend Recap

• Courtney says

I LOVE her video – it’s a nice change of pace from my other yoga DVD’s. A bit more upbeat and I definitely count it as some cardio too. ;)

Level 1 of Jillian Michael’s Yoga Meltdown is definitely a workout! I tried Level 2 once, but there were several poses that I couldn’t handle (required too much flexibility!)…
    I’m looking forward to trying out lots of pumpkin recipes this October :)
    Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..Halloween Sprinkles :)

I made that bread the other day- saw it in my Cooking Light magazine & as soon as I read the recipe I knew I had to make it :) It was SO good…and even Craig, who hates banana bread (yes, he’s a weirdo ;) ) loved it!
    Now I just want to make more & more breads…this is dangerous :)
    Holly recently posted..8.5 Months