First Session of the Challenge

by Courtney on October 1, 2012

Well good afternoon! I’m so, so excited to see that there’s already bunch of you who are IN for the October Yoga Challenge. Hopefully by month’s end, we’ll all be nice and limber and feeling totally OHM-tastic.

I actually got things kicked off early this morning with my first session of the challenge!

IMG_0104IMG_0105

A very humbling 30 minutes of Jillian Michaels’ Level 1 of Yoga Meltdown. I say humbling because, good lord, was I feeling out of it. It definitely was not my best yoga session ever, but hey, they can’t all be great, right? Regardless, I was still happy I did it and am feeling super pumped for this challenge.

Before I hit the yoga mat though, I actually made a date with the treadmill for a little interval walk with some inclines.

Overall, today’s workout lasted a bit longer than usual, but it felt good after taking the weekend off. Monday mornings are always a great motivator for me to get back to business.

Also motivating me today was the fact that I had a yummy breakfast waiting for me once I was finished up.

We’re all out of eggs right now so I had to stick with egg whites this morning; I paired about 1/2 cup of egg whites with fresh spinach, grape tomatoes, and ketchup.

On the side was the thing I was most looking forward to: a slice of browned butter banana bread topped with some peanut butter.

I know I mentioned this yesterday and a few of you are curious about the recipe…I’d love to say it was mine, but the credit has to go to Cooking Light. I came across THIS RECIPE in my latest issue of the magazine and had been waiting ever since for a batch of overripe bananas.

My changes: half whole wheat flour and no glaze (although I’m sure it’s incredible)

I would absolutely, 100% recommend you try this recipe out. The caramelized bananas are, well, just that…bananas. Winking smile

I spent most of the morning working on a few odds and ends and by the time 12:00 hit, I was ready for a little lunch.

I put together a little snack plate with baby carrots + hummus, an apple + peanut butter, and a handful of Sea Salt Chip-Ins (aka, my latest salty snack obsession that I have been chowing on for the past three days).

Now that I’ve got a full belly, I think I’m safe to take care of the grocery shopping.

Empty stomach + Courtney grocery shopping = a not-so-happy wallet or hubby. Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

What are some things you’re looking forward to this October??

1 Khushboo October 1, 2012 at 1:27 pm

I haven’t made banana bread in so long- this post confirms that the hiatus needs to end NOW!
Khushboo recently posted..#TheLittleThings

2 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom October 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I have heard that Jillian Michaels’s yoga meltdown in no joke!!! I may have to pick it up one of these days just to add something a little different to my workouts.
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Grocery Store Finds

3 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 1, 2012 at 1:39 pm

I am so looking forward to getting back on the trail! We have a backpacking trip scheduled for a few weeks from now and I can’t wait!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Weekend in Pictures

4 Sara @ The Foodie Diaries October 1, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I have actually NEVER done yoga before. I think this is the best time to start, just in time for your Yoga Challenge :)
Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Blueberry Banana Overnight Oats

5 michelle kim October 1, 2012 at 1:48 pm

For this October, I’m looking forward to the pumpkin-flavored EVERYTHING. Also the pumpkin recipes I’ll be seeing in blogs.
Glad your yoga session was challenging! Sounds like a great time to start doing yoga (since the weather will be getting chillier).
michelle kim recently posted..6:30AM Run With The Running Addicts

6 Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 1, 2012 at 1:53 pm

mmmmmmmmmm your breakfast is making me want banana bread now :) I like your yoga challenge – I have only done bikram 3 times and I just get so bored. I need to make it a point to relax more and yoga is obviously good for that. I love JM so I will check out her dvd..thanks!

October is a great month! loving all things pumpkin.. who isn’t?!
Eva @ Committed2Nutrition recently posted..October already? Weekend things. FULL FAT dairy baby

7 Sana October 1, 2012 at 1:54 pm

Boot and scarves! I can’t waitt!
Sana recently posted..Crappy Run. Literally.

8 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 1, 2012 at 2:04 pm

I’m increasing my yoga this month too. Good luck with it!

I’m looking forward to more football and more oktoberfest beers – gotta get it while the gettin’s good. ;)
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Just Do It

9 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie October 1, 2012 at 2:12 pm

Good for you getting into the chellange immediately! I am craving homemade bread like crazy right now!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Apple Butter Pancakes

10 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 1, 2012 at 2:27 pm

Ohh if only I could get my bananas to that perfect state of ripeness. I tend to go through them like crazy so they never quite make it there before I end up eating them first… Your banana bread seriously has me craving some, though, so I think I’m going to have to hide some bananas from myself and bake up a loaf.

What am I most looking forward to this month? Halloween! Seriously can’t wait to start working on a costume and picking up some candy :D
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... monthly favorites – september 2012 .

11 Shana October 1, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Buy extra bananas and freeze them (peel them first). Once they’re frozen, you can use them any time the craving strikes!
Shana recently posted..Hungry Games

12 Briana October 1, 2012 at 2:28 pm

Honeycrisp apples! I had my first one today and it was amazing. Too bad they are so expensive. I bought 3 and it somehow ended up being $4.50? Whatever, I can plan my budget around them :)

13 Shana October 1, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I like how the number of servings of that bread is 16 according to the website. I have NEVER in my life been able to get 16 servings out of a loaf of quick bread. Not even 12. It’s more like 8 or 10, if I’m lucky. I would be very curious to know how they get 16 servings. I mean, what are they slicing it with? Dental floss?
Shana recently posted..Hungry Games

14 erica October 1, 2012 at 2:43 pm

i’m looking forward to all things halloween! costumes, decorations, candy!
erica recently posted..weekend rundown

15 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 1, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I was a on the banana bread buzz over the weekend too, nothing beats it! Did my longest run yet this morning, so right, Monday is a great motivator! :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A little less cooked

16 kristin October 1, 2012 at 2:59 pm

October is one of my favorite months – I love going to all the different hayrides and pumpkin patches with my daughter and family. Carmel apples, ANYTHING pumpkin and the fall weather.

Did you know target (PA) is now selling the Justin’s almond butter!!! – I finally got to try some and omg it was wonderful! fully addicted

17 Rachel October 1, 2012 at 2:59 pm

that banana bread looks and sounds amazinggggg… whenever my mom makes hers I always ask if I could have a piece and she just gives me this look haha — I’m allergic to bananas.
Rachel recently posted..MIMM #9: Lots O’ Pumpkin

18 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 1, 2012 at 3:08 pm

I’m definitely looking forward to increasing my yoga time, continuing to increase my running miles and really figure out what’s next for my education and career.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Rocked!

19 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 1, 2012 at 3:35 pm

October is probably my favorite month. We celebrate our anniversary, I love the cooler weather and changing leaves, and all of the fall foods are my favorite!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..Tips to Make “Healthy” Part of Your Busy Lifestyle + New Workout Plan

20 Annette@FitnessPerks October 1, 2012 at 3:38 pm

I neeeeeed this challenge!! Hah. Gotta get me some yoga time ON. :)

Fall is fun–now that it’s OCT. I hate when it starts early b/c I am a summer gal. Haha. But yes, loving the pumpkin stuff–I made pumpkin bread. MMMMM!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..BodyPUMP Release 83 Review

21 Kelsey LaPaglia October 1, 2012 at 4:20 pm

You must have used the cooking light recipe for that bread! Made it last week and it was to die for!

22 Courtney October 1, 2012 at 4:24 pm

You betcha! That’s why I linked to it above ;)
It is seriously incredible!

23 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire October 1, 2012 at 4:44 pm

I’ve been actually trying to talk myself into incorporating more yoga into my routine now that I’m training for a half marathon and my body seems to be sore more often than not. You just might have brought this up at the right time ;) I’m excited for all of the Halloween themed decorations-I feel like once Halloween comes around, the holidays are in full swing, and it’s my favorite time of the year!
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..Weekend Recap

24 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 1, 2012 at 4:48 pm

I love banana bread but it’s pretty rare I actually have enough bananas get ripe enough to actually make a batch! Pretty sure I eat at least one a day.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Fitness Plans and Puppies.

25 Shannon October 1, 2012 at 4:59 pm

My own bag of candy on Halloween!

26 Jess October 1, 2012 at 5:21 pm

You always make healthy food look so delicious! Love the pictures! :)
Jess recently posted..Monday, October 1- Thursday, October 4

27 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 1, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Those Chip-Ins look like Popcorners, which I love!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..September Goals Recap

28 Lauren October 1, 2012 at 8:08 pm

Cooking Light has some of the best recipes. I credit cooking light to my cooking obsession. I used to look through that website for hours just for ideas. (pre-blog days)
Lauren recently posted..Pumpkin Banana Almond Butter with Sea Salt

29 Chelsea @ GlitterAndSweat October 1, 2012 at 8:41 pm

i’m not sure why i haven’t thought about putting PB on banana bread sooner lol..

i always look forward to pumpkin spice lattes, and apple hill, love the fall :)

30 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 1, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Love the workout from today! Looks like a good one!

Hmmm this October? I really can’t even tell you what else I’m looking forward to except for this weekend!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..weekend recap

31 Courtney October 2, 2012 at 10:32 am

JEALOUSSSSS

32 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 1, 2012 at 9:05 pm

That banana bread sounds so amazing! I’m just looking forward to our first autumn season in Atlanta, celebrating my husband’s birthday, and watching my belly get bigger. ;) I’m 13 weeks today, and I hope I start showing soon! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Catching you up!

33 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath October 1, 2012 at 9:42 pm

I am so looking forward to enjoying some Fall weather this October! :) Happy October 1st! :)
Amanda @ Let Me Be What’s Underneath recently posted..Product Review: Burt’s Bees Face Cleanser

34 Alicia October 2, 2012 at 12:14 am

I would love to try the Yoga challenge but I am just not ready for it. I think this months challenge will be just making sure that I am working out. But this month I am most looking forward to my birthday! Yay!
Alicia recently posted..Weekend Updates: Hiking, Neptune, and Mazes Oh My

35 Miz October 2, 2012 at 6:07 am

OOOH
I had no idea jillian had a yoga dvd.
I wonder if Id like that?
Miz recently posted..Kickball: MizFit style.

36 Courtney October 2, 2012 at 10:29 am

I LOVE her video – it’s a nice change of pace from my other yoga DVD’s. A bit more upbeat and I definitely count it as some cardio too. ;)

37 Megan@funsizedfitness October 2, 2012 at 7:19 am

Level 1 of Jillian Michael’s Yoga Meltdown is definitely a workout! I tried Level 2 once, but there were several poses that I couldn’t handle (required too much flexibility!)…
I’m looking forward to trying out lots of pumpkin recipes this October :)
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..Halloween Sprinkles :)

38 Kim @ The Family Practice October 2, 2012 at 8:34 am

I’ve never done Jillian’s yoga DVDs but I can bet that they are anything but relaxing. While I usually prefer the more calm and “quiet the mind” type yoga, I think I’ll try this out for the simple fact that I love every other Jillian workout I’ve tried.
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Its Not All Unicorns and Rainbows

39 Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit October 2, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Jillian Michael’s Yoga Meltdown has been on my wish list for a while now. What did you think of it? Would you recommend it?
Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit recently posted..Generic Brands, Love ‘Em or Snub ‘Em? + Meatless “Monday” Spinach Enchiladas Recipe

40 Courtney October 2, 2012 at 1:08 pm

Oh definitely! I’ve been using (and loving) this one for a while now :)

41 Jenny October 2, 2012 at 9:03 pm

You are doing wonderfully and everything looked delicious. I am learning to eat healthier and always have a snack before I go grocery shopping so I avoid buying those unwanted snack items that should not be in the house anyway.
Jenny recently posted..Dental CE Opportunity: “Advancing your practice through office design”

42 Holly October 5, 2012 at 9:13 am

I made that bread the other day- saw it in my Cooking Light magazine & as soon as I read the recipe I knew I had to make it :) It was SO good…and even Craig, who hates banana bread (yes, he’s a weirdo ;) ) loved it!
Now I just want to make more & more breads…this is dangerous :)
Holly recently posted..8.5 Months