No Bucket Lists Required

I got to thinking about a couple things this morning.

Now with a new month upon us, I feel like everywhere I turn, I’m seeing mentions of “monthly goals” and “bucket lists” (or “fall bucket lists,” to be exact). When I read them all, I think, “wow, okay cool. That all sounds like a lot of fun…maybe I should do one of my own?”

But then I realize that is just totally not my thing. I’ve never been great with the whole monthly goals thing (although, if we’re gonna call my Yoga Challenge a goal then I guess I’m lying) or bucket lists. Or even yearly goals, for that matter; I did end up making a list of 2011 Goals, and I guess that was cool…but obviously not enough to repeat for 2012. Plus, come the end of 2011, I had no idea what was on that list. Woops.

Sure, I most definitely have a list in the back of the ‘ol noggin, full of things I’d like to do this month or by the end of the year, but I guess I never really get the desire to write them out. I wonder why that is?

Perhaps to avoid the disappointment I’d have when I inevitably don’t finish all of them? Or maybe because I’m just too lazy to list them all out…who knows?

Instead, I think what I’d rather do is look back on whatever month/year/etc just happened and think about all of the things I did or accomplished. For example, in September…

So yeah, looking back, I had fun. A lot of fun. I didn’t do anything crazy, but it was a good September. No bucket lists required. Winking smile

What do you think of monthly goals and bucket lists? Is it for you? Why/why not?

*****

I guess it’s a good thing I had more to talk about this morning since today’s breakfast isn’t all that exciting…not to mention, pretty much the same thing you saw yesterday.

HOWEVER, I did decide to get wild and crazy this morning and just had plain ‘ol scrambled eggs…with NO ketchup. I’m livin’ on the wild side today, friends.

Then I had a delicious hunk of banana bread topped with peanut butter.

It’s just so hard to stay away from this stuff.

Some Reading Material For Ya:

Happy Tuesday, everyone! (By the way, it’s another fun numbers date: 10-2-12)

Question for the Morning:

It’s up there ^ sillies. Winking smile

Comments

I like bucket lists for seasons, it helps me and my husband remember all those fun things we want to make sure we do. I am also a fan of a having a few monthly goals, but nothing too serious, just stuff I want to accomplish each month and if not it is no biggie!
    Lindsey recently posted..How is it October 1st?

I typically give myself a little Summer Bucket List, and give myself from May – Labor Day to get the things accomplished. The only reason I do that is because there are things that I really like to do in the Summer, but I get so busy doing other things, that I tend to forget about the things I actually enjoy or new activities that I want to try out. So, having a list helps me get them done before the Summer disappears. The only thing I didn’t get to accomplish this year was to try geocaching. Hoping I can try it out on a Fall hike or something this month… as long as the weekends don’t fly by as fast as September did!
    Jillian recently posted..I did it!

I am a pretty big fan of bucket lists and lists in general. I don’t know why, but writing down my goals helps signify them in my mind. Of course there are those goals that always seem to end up on the list every month and never get accomplished, but maybe one day.. :)
    Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Lemon-Butter Salmon

I do monthly goals, but it’s smaller and more manageable than a lot of the lists I see around the blogworld. For example, my September goals involved working on my flexibility, getting my apartment organized and being social at school. So nothing too extreme!
    Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Rehashing September.

I’ve got to say I actually like the whole bucket list thing! I think it’s a good way for me to organize my thoughts/goals/things I want to accomplish. My Bucket list has everything from wanting to run a marathon, to visiting Egypt to learning to paddle board. Helps me keep track, whether or not I will STAY on track is a different sotry!
    Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Things I Love about October

I actually like having a “bucketlist,” but I am the type of personality that does better if I set goals for myself.

I really like your idea of reflecting after the matter! Sometimes it’s easy to forget all of the little things we accomplish!

I had a very similar breakfast yesterday morning! Always loving your breakfasts.

I decided to go ahead and make a fall bucket list for the season, mostly because I feel like when I write things down I’m more accountable for them, and I more actively try to do them. If I don’t I feel like time just slips away from me and I miss out on things I really wanted to do! Plus, I’m a planner, and I love lists, so it works :)
    Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..My Food Story Part I: High School, College, and My Early Twenties

• Courtney says

Which is the crazy thing for me, because I’m a total list maker too! But for some reason, the bucket lists just aren’t for me? Weird :)

September was an absolutely fabulous month- my husband and I got married, I worked at my first trade show [started a new job this spring], I turned 23, and one of my best girlfriends got married 😀 I like making weekly to-do lists and checking things off, it gives me a feeling of accountability and accomplishment!
    Life’s a Bowl recently posted..His Steak, Her Salad

I used to do monthly goals on my blog. I quit that. I was realizing that I wasn’t accomplishing them, and then I felt bad. But you know what … I was accomplishing so many things that WEREN’T on my list, I still had lots to be happy about :)
    Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Tidbits

I have to 100% agree with you on this one. Writing down goals at New Year’s or even monthly have never worked for me. I either forget or just don’t follow through. I am so the type that just needs to live for today and live in the moment, kind of thing. Sure, I had one major goal in 2011 and that was to become a zumba instructor, but other than that..nada. I also love reading all your posts and getting to know you through this blog..and I totally think the idea of reflecting on last month is much more rewarding :)
    Eva @ Committed2Nutrition recently posted..October already? Weekend things. FULL FAT dairy baby

I’m horrible when it comes to goal setting, and I think I’d like to make a conscious effort to get better at it. I recently interviewed for a job with lululemon (that I didn’t end up getting…boo) and their company is HUGE on goals. They make all of their employees come up with 10, 5, and 1 year goal plans. I was kind of intimidated :) but it did get me thinking!
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Vitamin A, The Delicious Way (Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies)

I’m not really one for setting out monthly goals either, because I find that I tend to get a little overzealous, make too many goals, and end up not sticking to them… which the only makes me feel bad at the end of the month and discourages me from trying to get things done.. I have a few larger and more general goals that I try to stick to, and I find that kind of mentality works the best for me.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... good food, good mood .

Ha! So true that “Goal Lists” are everywhere—I just wrote a post about it. I think whatever is “right” for you is where you should focus your energy. If you won’t pay attention to goals, don’t worry about them. Love the idea of focussing on positives from the previous month. Time seems to be speeding up so recollecting on positives is just as important!
    Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..October Goals & a Buttload of Veggies

I am definitely a list maker and use them for any occasion I can!! I don’t know what it is but I feel really accomplished marking things off as I complete them. I have daily lists, weekly lists, monthly, seasonal, grocery, clothing…basically if it can be made into a list, I do it. Yeah…..this might fall into my slight OCD behavior that I have!!
    Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Pumpkin Palooza

I am the same way!! I always read other people’s goals, and I have my list of life goals, but to write about different goals every month…I guess it’s just not my thing. On that note, I am always writing lists of things I “need” to do. I have too many notebooks to keep things straight!!

I’m not a bucket/goal list maker. I always hated making resolutions because I felt like I LIMITED myself. What if I achieved my resolution? Then what? Instead I just think about things I want to accomplish, and go after them. If I fail, I keep trying and if I succeeded I add another thing to the list. Goals shouldn’t remain the same, you should always want MORE for yourself and keep pushing yourself forward :)
    Sara @ The Foodie Diaries recently posted..Chicken Enchilada Pasta and Week 1

I’m definitely a bucket list maker, but I’m not someone who has made a LIFE-LONG bucket list. Maybe part because I fear I will forget what’s on it and not finish it, or maybe because it seems to overwhelming to think what I feel like I MUST accomplish with the rest of my life. I enjoy the seasonal bucket lists because it’s usually more manageable for me and I’m able to REALLY set out to achieve each thing, and in some ways, it’s a way to force me to have fun! 😉
    Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..The Timeline

I don’t do monthly goals but I do weekly ones. Monthly ones seem like so much work and so far into the future, I like to think only about 7 days ahead at a time. Weird I know. LOL I think about work day weekly goals and weekend goals too. And trust me those plans change as needed too. Have a great day. ^_^ Of course one of my goals this week is your Yoga challenge. 😉
    Becka @ simplybecka recently posted..the small things, celebrate them…