Quick Question About Baby Carrots

by Courtney on October 3, 2012

Boy, I’ll tell ya…it felt great to MOVE today.

I wound up taking yesterday off from any workouts, just for the mere fact that I was feeling completely wiped and unmotivated. I was more sore than expected from Monday’s workout (I blame the yoga!) and since I hadn’t suited up in my workout gear right away in the morning, I lost any motivation to do something later in the day.

Hey, it happens.

Today, however, the workout clothes went on right away and shortly after breakfast settled, I was ready to rock ‘n roll. Nothing crazy…about 20 minutes of power walking + 2 rounds of my timed stability ball circuit. It really feels great to lift those weights again!

It was probably only about 10am by the time I was finished up, so I wanted to get some protein into my system since lunch was a ways away…enter a new-to-me kind of protein powder: GNC 100% Egg Protein in Vanilla Ice Cream.

I received this protein to try out as a part of my partnership with GNC, but hadn’t had an opportunity to try it out until today. This was my first time trying egg protein powder, which honestly, sounded super odd to me at first.

I typically try to avoid most whey proteins, since I have yet to be able to find one that doesn’t upstate the ‘ol tummy, so having something new to try that is more easily digestible was pretty exciting.

The verdict? It’s crazy good! The ‘vanilla ice cream’ flavor really lives up to its name; it’s sweet and super creamy (and I only mixed mine with water). I would totally tell you guys if it was a miss for me, but it was definitely a hit!

By the time I finished that and got ready to shower, I noticed that my buddy Cody was still in our bedroom window.

Jay actually opened it early this morning for him, since we saw he was eyeballing it, and he’s seriously been in it ALL morning long. I don’t know what he’s been seeing out there, but he is lovin’ life in that window today. Smile

Lunch

I’m already excited about I’m planning for dinner tonight (breakfast for dinner, baby – omelettes, turkey bacon, toast!) so having to think of something for lunch wasn’t all that exciting…but hey, look at that?! I managed to get in some veggies today. WOOP.

Baby carrots + hummus and a wrap, made with turkey, avocado (I promise, it’s in there) honey mustard, lettuce, and tomato.

Ok…quick question for you guys about baby carrots (I want to know if I’m the only one who’s nuts to notice this): Do any of you ever eat a baby carrot and think, “wow that was a good one,” then eat another one and think, “ehh, that wasn’t that great”?

I know, this is totally random. But I just want to know that I’m not the only crazy one. Winking smile

I knew I was going to need a little something sweet after lunch today, so I grabbed a dark chocolate Adora disk from the pantry.

I came across this bag a few days ago so now that I know it’s there, I’ve been taking full advantage on the extra chocolate calcium.

Gotta get ready for a couple phone conferences, and then I’m toying with the idea of venturing out to Trader Joe’s for some pumpkin treats…we’ll see whether or not I make it!

1 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets October 3, 2012 at 2:02 pm

LOVE breakfast for dinner!
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..a perfect fall weekend + weekly planning

2 Mollie K October 3, 2012 at 2:18 pm

I ALWAYS do that with carrots…grapes too, and blueberries :)

when a baby carrot is good, it’s REALLLLL good. and when it’s not so good, yuck!

Enjoy the rest of your day!

3 Catherine Culligan October 3, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Ha – same thing with me when it comes to carrots & grapes! I thought I was the only one that felt that way.

4 Angela @ Health's Angel October 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm

YES to your random thought about baby carrots. That might be one of the reasons I don’t buy them very often. Sometimes I get too many “off” tasting ones in a row and it’s just not a pleasant snacking experience. I’ve found myself drawn to raw bell pepper strips lately instead!
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Vitamin A, The Delicious Way (Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Cookies)

5 JenG October 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm

i do that too. i’ve even taken a bite of one and thew the other 1/2 away. Love baby carrots, but ugh the bad ones are really bad!

6 Brigitt October 3, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Haha definitely!! Some are sweet and so good. Some are kind of bitter and almost make me want to spit them out!
Brigitt recently posted..Mashed Carrots

7 Rachel October 3, 2012 at 2:20 pm

I’m eating baby carrots as I’m reading this haha! I totally know what you mean though! Some are super good and sweet and others are kinda blah haha
Rachel recently posted..A Big Bowl of Deliciousness

8 Brittany @ ReadRunRepeat October 3, 2012 at 2:22 pm

You are definitely NOT crazy — I pretty much do that all the time! Some are super sweet and carrot-y and others are just bitter! blech!! Egg protein — interesting…
Brittany @ ReadRunRepeat recently posted..September Foodie PenPals :)

9 Mary Beth October 3, 2012 at 2:22 pm

Totally agree on the carrots! Sometimes they taste awesome and sometimes they taste dish soap-ish (ew!). I go through phases with them, I’m glad I’m not the only one :)
Mary Beth recently posted..3 for Thursday

10 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 3, 2012 at 2:33 pm

Oh I can definitely relate to comparing each baby carrot! It’s so true… Some of them taste great, and then others taste kind of bitter and not as tasty for whatever reason.

Good to hear you loved the egg protein powder… I’ve been intrigued by it since I’ve seen it on some other blogs. I’m assuming your stomach did okay with it too? Mine can be sensitive to some protein powders too.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #54: In the Classroom

11 Courtney October 3, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Yes! No problems with the tummy at ALL with it…thank GOODNESS :)

12 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions October 3, 2012 at 2:34 pm

I’m completely with you on the carrots. They’re not like some other produce either where you can look at it and be like, “Yes, this is going to be distinctly nasty.” I hate that! It’d be so much easier if the gross ones actually looked gross haha.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Long Weekend

13 Amanda October 3, 2012 at 2:35 pm

Not at all crazy. Carrots are a big hit or miss for me. I don’t really like them, but every once in a while I’ll get one that makes me rethink my taste for them. But I’ll eat another one and will not like them again.

14 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 3, 2012 at 2:36 pm

I’ve actually been pretty lucky with my baby carrots lately because they’ve all been tasting really good! I’ve definitely come across the odd bad one though, so don’t worry… you’re not going crazy ;) I find taste to be a lot more variable when it comes to normal sized carrots… some of those I can’t even seem to stomach.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... fig and date oatmeal bars .

15 Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer October 3, 2012 at 2:38 pm

Haha, I totally get the baby carrot thing. My dog actually likes baby carrots! I always take a bite of one before I give him the rest, to make sure its a “good one”. Only the best for my pooch!
Emmarie @ Bananas and Beer recently posted..Urban Legends

16 Amanda Brezgel October 3, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Totally with you on the baby carrots thing! :)

17 Life's a Bowl October 3, 2012 at 2:42 pm

Carrots are so strange! I agree that there are some better bites than others- I like the fatter babies, bigger snap:) My mom likes the skinnier ones, she claims they’re crunchier… Haha! And I’ve noticed that if I eat carrots too quickly I get hiccups?!
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..First Month as a Mrs.

18 kim@hungryhealthygirl October 3, 2012 at 2:48 pm

I know what you mean….some are just sweeter than others. Heading out to TJ’s for some pumpkin treats sounds like a great idea!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..microwave muffin & WIAW

19 Kristi @ lifesprinkles October 3, 2012 at 2:50 pm

I totally get the baby carrot thing – it seems like every bag has at least a few ‘duds’! :) I LOVE having breakfast for dinner – baby omelets sound really good!
Kristi @ lifesprinkles recently posted..Insanity

20 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’m all about breakfast for dinner–it never fails! And I’ve totally thought the same thing while eating baby carrots. I actually got so frustrated with the “not great” ones that I now buy normal carrots and cut and peel the myself. It’s a little extra work, but it’s worth it. :)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Shopping for New York City—Complete!

21 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 3, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I’m not sure on the baby carrot thing…but I think it’s the same whatever the size! some carrots are just nasty for some odd reason! Be careful on the calcium supplements…check out my post to see what I mean! http://peachypalate.com/2012/09/18/a-different-type-of-learning-2/
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..The joys of new ingredients

22 Liz October 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Hahahahaha, you’re not the only one. I have a love-hate relationship with baby carrots just because some are good and some are not good at all!!! They taste like dirt or something! Have a great night!

23 Sarah October 3, 2012 at 3:02 pm

Totally agree about baby carrots. And how about how different regular carrots are as opposed to baby carrots. Hey call me crazy but I can totally tell a difference!

24 Libby October 3, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Yum! We are big “breakfast for supper” eaters..especially if its cool or rainy! That’s funny about baby carrots! I examine my carrots really close before eating..I’m picky…and I HATE it when they get really wet in the bag:( Icky! I can’t wait to see what pumpkin treats you get!

25 Meg October 3, 2012 at 3:07 pm

bahahaha you my girl are the cutest! i totally think that too!!!!
Meg recently posted..WIAW: September Eats

26 Meredith @ Dare You To October 3, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Yes, I have those feelings about baby carrots. Some are great, some are not so great. You’re certainly not alone :)
Meredith @ Dare You To recently posted..WIAW: Making it Paleo

27 Olivia @ Liv Lives Life October 3, 2012 at 3:11 pm

I TOTALLY know what you mean about the baby carrots! Sometimes they taste too “carrot-y” or “root-y”. I’m glad to see I’m not the only one who gets picky with baby carrots! :-)
Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..Homemade Clif Bars – Chocolate

28 Kim October 3, 2012 at 3:19 pm

I dread my daily baby carrots for this reason! I get 13 good ones and 2 horrible ones! I try to avoid the weirdly shaped carrots – I’ve convinced myself that those are the bad ones. I’m glad I’m not alone!

On another note, I’ve heard so much about Adora calcium lately – I think I might have to grab a package and try them out! :)
Kim recently posted..Fact or Fad: Apple Cider Vinegar

29 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 3, 2012 at 3:24 pm

i am SO with you on the baby carrots! sometimes i get ones that make me want to spit them out and other times i get ones that are super yummy.
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..WIAW: First One in College!

30 Nicole October 3, 2012 at 3:25 pm

So funny about the carrots I do that ALL the time! Guess we’re special :)

31 Taylor October 3, 2012 at 3:26 pm

See! You’re not alone on the carrot-front! I do it as well :) Also, do you ever notice that some of the best looking baby carrots that LOOK like they’re going to taste great, actually end up being “meh” compared to some funny looking ones? Or is that just me on this one? Haha either way, it SO happens!

On another note….if my period is MIA (has been for about a year and a half) due to a low weight, do you recommend those Adora discs? I see Chelsey eats them quite often as well!

PS- I’ve been meaning to mention this for a little while…we have almost the exact same looking cats! Plus, my furry little orange buddy does crazy jumping action/awkward stretching positions/just plain cute stuff that Cody does :)

32 Courtney October 3, 2012 at 3:46 pm

I honestly just like them because they’re chocolate :)
I already get my calcium via other foods and vitamins

33 Beks October 3, 2012 at 3:29 pm

I actually read awhile back that since baby carrots are just regular carrots cut down to size, they take the leftover carrots (after they’ve bagged the “good” ones as straight up carrots), and put them through a process for getting the baby carrot shape. Totally not making this up.

I’ve experience that with carrots, too, so after I read that info about how they’re made, I started just buying regular carrots and cutting them into carrot sticks. A bit more time-intensive, but regular carrots are cheaper (I’ve found), and tastier. To each their own, though.
Beks recently posted..Attempting to be adventurous…

34 Natalia October 3, 2012 at 3:37 pm

TOTALLY with you on the carrots thing! My brothers and sisters and I were just talking about it the other night, too!

35 Amanda October 3, 2012 at 3:44 pm

I did Jillian Michaels level two on Monday and when I tried to run yesterday I literally just COULDN’T. My inner thighs and hamstrings still hurt when I just WALK. Crazy! And I’m the same way with the carrots – some taste sweeter than others? I thought the same thing when I had some at lunch today!
Amanda recently posted..Foodie Pen Pals Reveal

36 Alysia @ Slim Sanity October 3, 2012 at 3:52 pm

I buy regular carrots and peel/chop them for hummus for that very reason!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..WIAW #21: best grilled cheese. EVER.

37 Silvia @skinny jeans food October 3, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Cody says “what’ s not to like: fresh air, live sounds, and no damn pumpkin decorations.” :-)
Silvia @skinny jeans food recently posted..Chili and roasted squash

38 Courtney October 3, 2012 at 3:56 pm

LOL!!! :-D

39 Nicole October 3, 2012 at 4:02 pm

So weird, my coworker and I were just having that conversation about baby carrots this morning! Some of them are great, then others are wayyy bad!

40 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 3, 2012 at 4:05 pm

I totally agree with you about the carrots! It’s so weird, but one bag can have a myriad of flavors!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..If It’s Not This….It Would Be Something Else

41 Maria October 3, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Agree on the baby carrots! I don’t even risk it anymore. I snack on snap peas.

We recently purchased optimum nutrition vanilla custard. So good! I use this one in my overnight oats. It has a creamy flavor. Yum!
Maria recently posted..Winner Winner Chicken Dinner

42 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 3, 2012 at 4:09 pm

I know exactly what you mean with the baby carrots – I go through bags of the stuff, and it’s always half great ones, half ok ones. :-p
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW # 3–Upping My Protein.

43 Jessie October 3, 2012 at 4:17 pm

I made TJ’s pumpkin bread last night… so good!

44 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 3, 2012 at 5:20 pm

My cat is always in our window too…he’s obsessed with looking at the birds!

I bought a bag of Adora disks a little over a week ago and yea….they went fast. I actually started to worry that a person could eat too much calcium? But I feel fine so I guess it was no big deal haha, those things are delicious!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..My Food Story Part II: Blogging Hiatus Explained

45 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 3, 2012 at 5:29 pm

I’m with ya on the baby carrots. Sometimes I get an entire bag of bad tasting ones, and I almost wonder if I need to wash them off before I eat them!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..A Pretty Muddy Hike

46 Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 3, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I actually love egg white protein powder, it’s just a wee bit expensive so haven’t actually purchased more than sample packs yet from WF. but I LOVE it. I absolutely agree with carrots – it’s bizarre. some are really orange, and some, not so much. Also need to get Adora disks, too bad Whole-lotta-money-Foods is the only place I’ve seen ‘em!
Eva @ Committed2Nutrition recently posted..WIAW – Crock Pot Chicken my way

47 michelle kim October 3, 2012 at 5:42 pm

Yay! Pumpkin treats from Trader Joe’s.
And Cody is soooooo adorable!
michelle kim recently posted..Grossed Out by My Own Painting

48 Steph October 3, 2012 at 6:22 pm

This is so random but every time I see the wraps you make I wonder how the heck you cram all that stuff in and still atoll it up all neat and tidy! You should seriously do a tutorial or video on how to make a proper wrap cause mine are always a total mess! Haha!

49 Michelle (Better with Berries) October 3, 2012 at 6:22 pm

I think I know what you mean about baby carrots – I sometimes get that with grapes. Some of them taste like dirt, to be honest. But the good ones (most of them) make it worth the occasional dirt-grape :-)
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Chopped Chicken Apple Salad

50 Holly October 3, 2012 at 7:17 pm

You’re spot on on the carrots. Some taste like little pockets of sweetness. Others taste like dirt. No idea how it works…

51 Danyelle Franciosa October 3, 2012 at 7:20 pm

Carrots is one of favorite. I quite don’t know more about baby carrots but I think it is still like carrots that is my favorite. :)
Danyelle Franciosa recently posted..Timber Sliding Doors To Make Best Use Of The Space In Your Home

52 Megan@funsizedfitness October 3, 2012 at 8:05 pm

I have a thing about the baby carrots with strings hanging off of their ends, weird dents, and brown nubs at the bottom. They scare me!
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..Dear Salmon, I Love You!

53 Lauren October 3, 2012 at 8:36 pm

Hahah, no I totally get you! Sometimes, I get baby carrots that are sooo sweet and delicious and other times, they are just meh.
Lauren recently posted..Pumpkin Pie Smoothie

54 Kierston October 3, 2012 at 9:21 pm

Some baby carrots are definitely better than others. I can usually scope out the good ones out of the baggy! ;)
Kierston recently posted..WIAW: Fitness Competitor Friendly Potluck!

55 Katy @ Naner-A-Day October 3, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I love when you get a good “rot”

56 Shannon October 3, 2012 at 11:06 pm

YES! I actually thought about this yesterday while eating baby carrots! Not that I find some bitter, but some are super crunchy and good texture where others are soft and bland. SO weird. haha!

57 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 3, 2012 at 11:12 pm

Coming from a major carrot lover…yes, some are definitely better than others!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW October 3, 2012 + Baked Sweet Sesame Tofu Recipe

58 Ann October 4, 2012 at 12:40 am

Hey Courtney…sorry, totally random, but it should be ole or ol’ not ‘ol cause the ‘ is replacing the d! And love you!

59 Courtney October 4, 2012 at 6:57 am

Hahaha, and this is why I love how I have readers who are better with grammar than I am ;)
Thanks, Ann!

60 Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset October 4, 2012 at 8:57 am

Totally agree with you about baby carrots! I find the same thing often happens with different squash, different apples and other similar fruits and veg. Guess they’re all just unique! ;)
Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset recently posted..How long?

61 Bek @ Crave October 5, 2012 at 12:48 am

I notice that with normal carrots- some will be sweet and beautiful and others aren’t all that special.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Body Balance 58