Quick Question About Baby Carrots

Boy, I’ll tell ya…it felt great to MOVE today.

I wound up taking yesterday off from any workouts, just for the mere fact that I was feeling completely wiped and unmotivated. I was more sore than expected from Monday’s workout (I blame the yoga!) and since I hadn’t suited up in my workout gear right away in the morning, I lost any motivation to do something later in the day.

Hey, it happens.

Today, however, the workout clothes went on right away and shortly after breakfast settled, I was ready to rock ‘n roll. Nothing crazy…about 20 minutes of power walking + 2 rounds of my timed stability ball circuit. It really feels great to lift those weights again!

It was probably only about 10am by the time I was finished up, so I wanted to get some protein into my system since lunch was a ways away…enter a new-to-me kind of protein powder: GNC 100% Egg Protein in Vanilla Ice Cream.

I received this protein to try out as a part of my partnership with GNC, but hadn’t had an opportunity to try it out until today. This was my first time trying egg protein powder, which honestly, sounded super odd to me at first.

I typically try to avoid most whey proteins, since I have yet to be able to find one that doesn’t upstate the ‘ol tummy, so having something new to try that is more easily digestible was pretty exciting.

The verdict? It’s crazy good! The ‘vanilla ice cream’ flavor really lives up to its name; it’s sweet and super creamy (and I only mixed mine with water). I would totally tell you guys if it was a miss for me, but it was definitely a hit!

By the time I finished that and got ready to shower, I noticed that my buddy Cody was still in our bedroom window.

Jay actually opened it early this morning for him, since we saw he was eyeballing it, and he’s seriously been in it ALL morning long. I don’t know what he’s been seeing out there, but he is lovin’ life in that window today. Smile

Lunch

I’m already excited about I’m planning for dinner tonight (breakfast for dinner, baby – omelettes, turkey bacon, toast!) so having to think of something for lunch wasn’t all that exciting…but hey, look at that?! I managed to get in some veggies today. WOOP.

Baby carrots + hummus and a wrap, made with turkey, avocado (I promise, it’s in there) honey mustard, lettuce, and tomato.

Ok…quick question for you guys about baby carrots (I want to know if I’m the only one who’s nuts to notice this): Do any of you ever eat a baby carrot and think, “wow that was a good one,” then eat another one and think, “ehh, that wasn’t that great”?

I know, this is totally random. But I just want to know that I’m not the only crazy one. Winking smile

I knew I was going to need a little something sweet after lunch today, so I grabbed a dark chocolate Adora disk from the pantry.

I came across this bag a few days ago so now that I know it’s there, I’ve been taking full advantage on the extra chocolate calcium.

Gotta get ready for a couple phone conferences, and then I’m toying with the idea of venturing out to Trader Joe’s for some pumpkin treats…we’ll see whether or not I make it!

Comments

1. Mollie K says

I ALWAYS do that with carrots…grapes too, and blueberries :)

when a baby carrot is good, it’s REALLLLL good. and when it’s not so good, yuck!

Enjoy the rest of your day!

• Catherine Culligan says

Ha – same thing with me when it comes to carrots & grapes! I thought I was the only one that felt that way.

2. JenG says

i do that too. i’ve even taken a bite of one and thew the other 1/2 away. Love baby carrots, but ugh the bad ones are really bad!

3. Mary Beth says

Totally agree on the carrots! Sometimes they taste awesome and sometimes they taste dish soap-ish (ew!). I go through phases with them, I’m glad I’m not the only one :)
    Mary Beth recently posted..3 for Thursday

Oh I can definitely relate to comparing each baby carrot! It’s so true… Some of them taste great, and then others taste kind of bitter and not as tasty for whatever reason.

Good to hear you loved the egg protein powder… I’ve been intrigued by it since I’ve seen it on some other blogs. I’m assuming your stomach did okay with it too? Mine can be sensitive to some protein powders too.
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #54: In the Classroom

I’m completely with you on the carrots. They’re not like some other produce either where you can look at it and be like, “Yes, this is going to be distinctly nasty.” I hate that! It’d be so much easier if the gross ones actually looked gross haha.
    Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Long Weekend

Not at all crazy. Carrots are a big hit or miss for me. I don’t really like them, but every once in a while I’ll get one that makes me rethink my taste for them. But I’ll eat another one and will not like them again.

I’ve actually been pretty lucky with my baby carrots lately because they’ve all been tasting really good! I’ve definitely come across the odd bad one though, so don’t worry… you’re not going crazy 😉 I find taste to be a lot more variable when it comes to normal sized carrots… some of those I can’t even seem to stomach.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... fig and date oatmeal bars .

Carrots are so strange! I agree that there are some better bites than others- I like the fatter babies, bigger snap:) My mom likes the skinnier ones, she claims they’re crunchier… Haha! And I’ve noticed that if I eat carrots too quickly I get hiccups?!
    Life’s a Bowl recently posted..First Month as a Mrs.

9. Liz says

Hahahahaha, you’re not the only one. I have a love-hate relationship with baby carrots just because some are good and some are not good at all!!! They taste like dirt or something! Have a great night!

10. Sarah says

Totally agree about baby carrots. And how about how different regular carrots are as opposed to baby carrots. Hey call me crazy but I can totally tell a difference!

11. Libby says

Yum! We are big “breakfast for supper” eaters..especially if its cool or rainy! That’s funny about baby carrots! I examine my carrots really close before eating..I’m picky…and I HATE it when they get really wet in the bag:( Icky! I can’t wait to see what pumpkin treats you get!

I dread my daily baby carrots for this reason! I get 13 good ones and 2 horrible ones! I try to avoid the weirdly shaped carrots – I’ve convinced myself that those are the bad ones. I’m glad I’m not alone!

On another note, I’ve heard so much about Adora calcium lately – I think I might have to grab a package and try them out! :)
    Kim recently posted..Fact or Fad: Apple Cider Vinegar

13. Taylor says

See! You’re not alone on the carrot-front! I do it as well :) Also, do you ever notice that some of the best looking baby carrots that LOOK like they’re going to taste great, actually end up being “meh” compared to some funny looking ones? Or is that just me on this one? Haha either way, it SO happens!

On another note….if my period is MIA (has been for about a year and a half) due to a low weight, do you recommend those Adora discs? I see Chelsey eats them quite often as well!

PS- I’ve been meaning to mention this for a little while…we have almost the exact same looking cats! Plus, my furry little orange buddy does crazy jumping action/awkward stretching positions/just plain cute stuff that Cody does :)

• Courtney says

I honestly just like them because they’re chocolate :)
      I already get my calcium via other foods and vitamins

I actually read awhile back that since baby carrots are just regular carrots cut down to size, they take the leftover carrots (after they’ve bagged the “good” ones as straight up carrots), and put them through a process for getting the baby carrot shape. Totally not making this up.

I’ve experience that with carrots, too, so after I read that info about how they’re made, I started just buying regular carrots and cutting them into carrot sticks. A bit more time-intensive, but regular carrots are cheaper (I’ve found), and tastier. To each their own, though.
    Beks recently posted..Attempting to be adventurous…

15. Natalia says

TOTALLY with you on the carrots thing! My brothers and sisters and I were just talking about it the other night, too!

I did Jillian Michaels level two on Monday and when I tried to run yesterday I literally just COULDN’T. My inner thighs and hamstrings still hurt when I just WALK. Crazy! And I’m the same way with the carrots – some taste sweeter than others? I thought the same thing when I had some at lunch today!
    Amanda recently posted..Foodie Pen Pals Reveal

So weird, my coworker and I were just having that conversation about baby carrots this morning! Some of them are great, then others are wayyy bad!

I actually love egg white protein powder, it’s just a wee bit expensive so haven’t actually purchased more than sample packs yet from WF. but I LOVE it. I absolutely agree with carrots – it’s bizarre. some are really orange, and some, not so much. Also need to get Adora disks, too bad Whole-lotta-money-Foods is the only place I’ve seen ’em!
    Eva @ Committed2Nutrition recently posted..WIAW – Crock Pot Chicken my way

19. Steph says

This is so random but every time I see the wraps you make I wonder how the heck you cram all that stuff in and still atoll it up all neat and tidy! You should seriously do a tutorial or video on how to make a proper wrap cause mine are always a total mess! Haha!

20. Holly says

You’re spot on on the carrots. Some taste like little pockets of sweetness. Others taste like dirt. No idea how it works…

21. Shannon says

YES! I actually thought about this yesterday while eating baby carrots! Not that I find some bitter, but some are super crunchy and good texture where others are soft and bland. SO weird. haha!

22. Ann says

Hey Courtney…sorry, totally random, but it should be ole or ol’ not ‘ol cause the ‘ is replacing the d! And love you!

Trackbacks