Stupid Toaster

by Courtney on October 6, 2012

Happy weekend to you all! How are things shaping up so far for ya?

Jay and I got our weekend started last night with a fun dinner out with friends. I took the night off from snapping pictures, so I don’t have any to share…BUT, we did end up going to Jose Malone’s and had some amazing food (you may actually remember that Jay and I went there back in August for our Surprise Date Night Game).

I wound up ordering a Pineapple and Goat Cheese Quesadilla for dinner (after snacking on a bunch of their delicious chips and homemade salsa) and that thing was SO good. I’d definitely say it gave the BLT Quesadilla a run for its money. YUM!

After dinner, we walked over to Brown’s and spent some time hanging out at a table outside on the patio before calling it a night. Nothing wild and crazy, but just fun to be out with friends.

This morning I’m on my own for a while, since Jay is out helping some friends with house renovations, so I decided to tackle a small project I’ve been putting off for a while now…

I receive both Cooking Light and Rachel Ray magazines in the mail. I also subscribe to FITNESS and SHAPE magazines, which often times have some good recipes in them. Nine times out of 10, I’ll read the magazine immediately after it comes, skim through and find recipes that I’d like to make, put it back in a pile, and usually never check through them again.

I’m so bad about that…anyone else?

So today, I’m making an attempt to quickly go through each of the magazines, rip out any recipes that I’m sure I’d make at some point or another, hole punching them, and tossing them in my recipe binder (<—super old post alert – lots of !!! and SmileSurprised smile happening).

So hopefully now I’ll actually have some recipes that I’ll use, rather than just having them sit around in a pile taking up space on my counter. We’ll see.

In the midst of working on my binder, I took a break for some breakfast.

I used up the last two pumpkin spice waffles from the box, and sadly enough, I burnt them. Our stupid toaster is a terd and never knows how it wants to cook – sometimes it’ll take two tries to get things toasted. Other times it gets burned on the first round.

I guess today was just not my lucky day with the toaster.

Thankfully, they were still edible (I really despise burnt stuff…these were manageable) and topped them with some pumpkin, peanut butter, banana slices, chia seeds, and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Then again, I’m sure you guys already have this combo memorized after this past week, so I probably didn’t even need to tell you that, now did I? Winking smile

*****

I’m about to go get back to workin’ on that binder, then once this breakfast is settled, it’s YOGA time. Gotta get my third session in for the week! How’s everyone else doing on their Yoga Challenge?

1 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling October 6, 2012 at 9:43 am

I had a similar breakfast this morning, but I used pumpkin spice bread and cinnamon instead of chia seeds ;)
Molly@This Life Is Sparkling recently posted..Friday Facts

2 Jen N October 6, 2012 at 9:49 am

I do the same thing with my mags, but I’ve taken to dog-earing the pages I want to save so it’ll be easier when I get around to tearing them out. Of course, I still have a pile of mags to go through. :)

3 Blog is the New Black October 6, 2012 at 10:25 am

Funny, I just did the same thing last week!

4 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 6, 2012 at 10:33 am

I do the exact same thing with recipes! For me though, it’s usually recipe emails that I receive. I always save the ones I want to try, but rarely get around to them!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..The Easiest Crock Pot Roast Ever

5 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 6, 2012 at 10:33 am

Toasters all have a mind of their own….I go with the grill when I have the time though it requires a watchful eye! :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..It starts with what you eat

6 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 6, 2012 at 10:58 am

Ugh I hate burnt stuff too, so I can feel your frustration! I almost bought those waffles the other day at the store… Would you say they’re worth it? Were they so good that you plan to buy them again? I can’t decide.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Perfect Pancakes + Week 1 Workout Recap

7 Courtney October 6, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I’d be willing to bet they’ll wind up in my cart the next time I hit up Target ;-)

8 Liz October 6, 2012 at 4:16 pm

They’re really really good Ashley….We actually bought extra and put them in the big freezer since they are a seasonal product and will disappear off the grocery store shelf sooner rather then later. :)

9 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 6, 2012 at 11:11 am

I have the exact same problem with finding recipes in magazines, ripping them out, and then setting them in a pile to be used who knows when…I am actually in the middle of a similar project, but had to put it on the back burner to work on a huge project for school. It is due next week so once it is finished hopefully I can get back to being more organized with my recipes. I also need to seriously take care of organizing all of the recipes I have “favorited” on my computer…WAY TOO MANY! :(
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Area Eats: Motos Public House

10 Renee October 6, 2012 at 11:15 am

I’m a binder girl too I have a binder for everything- my husband makes fun of me for it but it’s the only way to keep things where they belong! Good Luck to you!
Renee recently posted..Foam Roller, I love you

11 Jade October 6, 2012 at 11:15 am

I do the same thing with recipes from magazines! And I love !!!!! and smileys…I will never stop!!!! ;)

12 Jennifer October 6, 2012 at 11:52 am

I did the same thing with all my magazines! Makes it easier!!! And I actually use it
Jennifer recently posted..Oh Happy (Fri)Day!

13 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 6, 2012 at 12:04 pm

I’m so guilty of marking off recipes and then never making them! It’s Thanksgiving weekend up here in Canada and I’ve been looking for recipes that I had marked off a while ago, and finding them again is proving to be a lot more difficult that I’d hoped! I should really get more organized… that binder is a great idea!

14 Courtney October 6, 2012 at 12:27 pm

Happy thanksgiving to you up in Canada!!

15 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 6, 2012 at 12:14 pm

I do that too! I’ve gotten better of at least ripping out the articles or recipes I want to save and then tossing the magazine but then I end up with a folder full of stuff and it’s too intimidating to go through. For awhile I was putting them in magazines and I’m not quite sure why I stopped?
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Playing Catch Up!

16 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 6, 2012 at 12:36 pm

I’ve really been thinking I need to do the same with my magazines! There’s so many recipes I mark for later but then I completely forget about them.

I have a yoga session planned for tomorrow! :-D
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..What Makes Me Happy.

17 Jennifer {Pure & Simple Organizing} October 6, 2012 at 12:44 pm

I have a self professed love of all things binder related. Menu planning is MUCH easier with my Recipe Binder … which I re-organize about once a month.

I also have a holiday binder … that I drool over each holiday season.

Printing out cute dividers for each section warms my heart … although I’m a little organized crazy when it comes to some stuff. ;)

18 Ashlee@his n hers October 6, 2012 at 1:06 pm

What all was in that ‘dilla! I want to recreate it badly. Red onion and cilantro would be yummy!

19 Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset October 6, 2012 at 1:26 pm

I have the same problem with my toaster! Sorry it ruined your last two :( I have a feeling they’re like pizza though- even bad (*burnt*) pumpkin waffles are still pretty darn good ;) Maybe next you should try to make homemade pumpkin waffles and then share the recipe with us all? :D
Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset recently posted..Goals, glorious goals…

20 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 6, 2012 at 1:32 pm

I need to do a recipe binder as well. I do the exact same thing. There are ton of recipes that I want to try from my Cooking Light magazines, but I always forget about them and end up doing the same old thing.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..5 X 5 For Friday!

21 Taryn October 6, 2012 at 2:44 pm

Oh My Wow! Your recipe binder looks amazing!

22 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 6, 2012 at 4:22 pm

I’m bad about finding a recipe that I like, ripping it out of the magazine, and then never making it! I’m much more likely to cook recipes that I find online, for some reason.
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..What I ate my first trimester …

23 kristina October 6, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Does Jay have similar eating habits as you? My boyfriend and I have been talking about what it will be like when we are married- me the health nut, and him..not so much…Does Jay typically eat similar kinds of breakfasts and lunches? or does he buy his own breakfast/lunch food items?

24 Danica @ It's Progression October 6, 2012 at 5:56 pm

I’m loving the yoga challenge so far! I’ve done 3 sessions in the past 6 days and that’s easily a record for me :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..My Travel Bucket List

25 Karleen October 6, 2012 at 6:14 pm

I have a desk FULL of workouts and recipes I’ve torn out of magazines that I am still too lazy to organize and therefore even use due to the disorganization! Lol this has motivated me to get going and clean that deskaroo out ASAP!!

26 Becky Przy October 6, 2012 at 6:52 pm

Haha, great minds think alike…I just did the same thing w/my magazines/torn out recipes last weekend. The husband looked at the stack and said “those are all recipes?!”

Yoga challenge going strong for the first week–got in 3 sessions:-)

27 Bek @ Crave October 7, 2012 at 2:08 am

I’m the same. I dog tag recipes I like in my magazines and then forget about them. Or if I remember the recipe I never know what book it was in! I have a lot! Haha.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..New found love

28 heidi kokborg October 7, 2012 at 8:28 am

I also have tons of magazines that I save because of the recipes but then I forget all about them like you do! I think I have to start the project as you – I just feel like there is never time to make all of the recipes and there is no way I can finish all of that food by myself, but I guess I just have to invite a lot of people over! :)
heidi kokborg recently posted..Apricot Almond Muffins

29 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction October 7, 2012 at 9:59 am

I have been meaning to set up a recipe binder forever! I have all of the materials but not enough time!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..September Recaps

30 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets October 7, 2012 at 10:20 am

I have a recipe binder, too! :) And sometimes it gets VERY overwhelming and I’ve got recipes in there that I don’t even remember coming across! Now I try to select a few new recipes to try each month and decide whether to keep them in the binder or toss them out! Good luck and have fun!
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..PUMPKIN MADNESS: gluten-free pumpkin spice muffins + gluten-free chocolate pumpkin protein Pancakes

31 Andrea @ Barbells and Buttercream October 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm

I keep magazine pages in an accordion folder with labeled tabs. When I use the recipe and like it, I move it onto a recipe software program. When I don’t like it I file it in the trash! I also have one for non-recipe magazine pages (i.e.: vacation spots, crafts, decorating ideas, etc.)
Andrea @ Barbells and Buttercream recently posted..Apple Pie with Crumb Topping

32 Becka @ simplybecka October 8, 2012 at 9:14 am

I am with you I find so many good things to cook but don’t get them organized to cook them. LOL I too like to put mine in a binder with those plastic sleeves to keep my recipe clean. Have a great day. ^_^
Becka @ simplybecka recently posted..keep putting forth the effort…

33 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey October 8, 2012 at 9:01 pm

You know I’m a freak when the only thing I have to comment on is the way you spelled terd. I always spell it turd. Not saying you’re wrong at all – I just think it’s funny we spell it differently. Lol – since it’s probably not a real word anyway, we both win!!!

PS – Stick it to the toaster.
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

34 Courtney October 8, 2012 at 9:03 pm

Thanks, Turdy Terd ;-)

35 Sarah October 10, 2012 at 11:49 am

My recipe binders are out of control! I love recipes. I have about 6 binders (one for chicken, one for burgers and sandwiches, one for pasta, etc.). I am never caught up on filing all the recipes I want to try! Clean Eating magazine has really good recipes, too!