Stupid Toaster

Happy weekend to you all! How are things shaping up so far for ya?

Jay and I got our weekend started last night with a fun dinner out with friends. I took the night off from snapping pictures, so I don’t have any to share…BUT, we did end up going to Jose Malone’s and had some amazing food (you may actually remember that Jay and I went there back in August for our Surprise Date Night Game).

I wound up ordering a Pineapple and Goat Cheese Quesadilla for dinner (after snacking on a bunch of their delicious chips and homemade salsa) and that thing was SO good. I’d definitely say it gave the BLT Quesadilla a run for its money. YUM!

After dinner, we walked over to Brown’s and spent some time hanging out at a table outside on the patio before calling it a night. Nothing wild and crazy, but just fun to be out with friends.

This morning I’m on my own for a while, since Jay is out helping some friends with house renovations, so I decided to tackle a small project I’ve been putting off for a while now…

I receive both Cooking Light and Rachel Ray magazines in the mail. I also subscribe to FITNESS and SHAPE magazines, which often times have some good recipes in them. Nine times out of 10, I’ll read the magazine immediately after it comes, skim through and find recipes that I’d like to make, put it back in a pile, and usually never check through them again.

I’m so bad about that…anyone else?

So today, I’m making an attempt to quickly go through each of the magazines, rip out any recipes that I’m sure I’d make at some point or another, hole punching them, and tossing them in my recipe binder (<—super old post alert – lots of !!! and SmileSurprised smile happening).

So hopefully now I’ll actually have some recipes that I’ll use, rather than just having them sit around in a pile taking up space on my counter. We’ll see.

In the midst of working on my binder, I took a break for some breakfast.

I used up the last two pumpkin spice waffles from the box, and sadly enough, I burnt them. Our stupid toaster is a terd and never knows how it wants to cook – sometimes it’ll take two tries to get things toasted. Other times it gets burned on the first round.

I guess today was just not my lucky day with the toaster.

Thankfully, they were still edible (I really despise burnt stuff…these were manageable) and topped them with some pumpkin, peanut butter, banana slices, chia seeds, and a drizzle of maple syrup.

Then again, I’m sure you guys already have this combo memorized after this past week, so I probably didn’t even need to tell you that, now did I? Winking smile

*****

I’m about to go get back to workin’ on that binder, then once this breakfast is settled, it’s YOGA time. Gotta get my third session in for the week! How’s everyone else doing on their Yoga Challenge?

Comments

1. Jen N says

I do the same thing with my mags, but I’ve taken to dog-earing the pages I want to save so it’ll be easier when I get around to tearing them out. Of course, I still have a pile of mags to go through. :)

• Liz says

They’re really really good Ashley….We actually bought extra and put them in the big freezer since they are a seasonal product and will disappear off the grocery store shelf sooner rather then later. :)

I have the exact same problem with finding recipes in magazines, ripping them out, and then setting them in a pile to be used who knows when…I am actually in the middle of a similar project, but had to put it on the back burner to work on a huge project for school. It is due next week so once it is finished hopefully I can get back to being more organized with my recipes. I also need to seriously take care of organizing all of the recipes I have “favorited” on my computer…WAY TOO MANY! :(
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Area Eats: Motos Public House

I’m so guilty of marking off recipes and then never making them! It’s Thanksgiving weekend up here in Canada and I’ve been looking for recipes that I had marked off a while ago, and finding them again is proving to be a lot more difficult that I’d hoped! I should really get more organized… that binder is a great idea!

I do that too! I’ve gotten better of at least ripping out the articles or recipes I want to save and then tossing the magazine but then I end up with a folder full of stuff and it’s too intimidating to go through. For awhile I was putting them in magazines and I’m not quite sure why I stopped?
    Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Playing Catch Up!

I have a self professed love of all things binder related. Menu planning is MUCH easier with my Recipe Binder … which I re-organize about once a month.

I also have a holiday binder … that I drool over each holiday season.

Printing out cute dividers for each section warms my heart … although I’m a little organized crazy when it comes to some stuff. 😉

I have the same problem with my toaster! Sorry it ruined your last two :( I have a feeling they’re like pizza though- even bad (*burnt*) pumpkin waffles are still pretty darn good 😉 Maybe next you should try to make homemade pumpkin waffles and then share the recipe with us all? 😀
    Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset recently posted..Goals, glorious goals…

7. kristina says

Does Jay have similar eating habits as you? My boyfriend and I have been talking about what it will be like when we are married- me the health nut, and him..not so much…Does Jay typically eat similar kinds of breakfasts and lunches? or does he buy his own breakfast/lunch food items?

8. Karleen says

I have a desk FULL of workouts and recipes I’ve torn out of magazines that I am still too lazy to organize and therefore even use due to the disorganization! Lol this has motivated me to get going and clean that deskaroo out ASAP!!

9. Becky Przy says

Haha, great minds think alike…I just did the same thing w/my magazines/torn out recipes last weekend. The husband looked at the stack and said “those are all recipes?!”

Yoga challenge going strong for the first week–got in 3 sessions:-)

I also have tons of magazines that I save because of the recipes but then I forget all about them like you do! I think I have to start the project as you – I just feel like there is never time to make all of the recipes and there is no way I can finish all of that food by myself, but I guess I just have to invite a lot of people over! :)
    heidi kokborg recently posted..Apricot Almond Muffins

You know I’m a freak when the only thing I have to comment on is the way you spelled terd. I always spell it turd. Not saying you’re wrong at all – I just think it’s funny we spell it differently. Lol – since it’s probably not a real word anyway, we both win!!!

PS – Stick it to the toaster.
    chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

12. Sarah says

My recipe binders are out of control! I love recipes. I have about 6 binders (one for chicken, one for burgers and sandwiches, one for pasta, etc.). I am never caught up on filing all the recipes I want to try! Clean Eating magazine has really good recipes, too!