Something I Haven’t Done In Months

by Courtney on October 9, 2012

Guess what? This morning I did something I haven’t done in months…I ran.

Alright, maybe calling it a run is a bit of a stretch…let’s call it a light jog. Hey, whatever the heck it was, it felt GREAT. Ever since my decision to cut back on exercise, most of my cardio has come in the form of some sort of interval walking. It’s been great, and I really do enjoy the walking.

But today was just one of those days where I really needed to run…so I did.

I went easy, and wound up doing 5 minute interval jogs at an easy 6.0mph pace, combined with 2 minute interval walks at 4.5mph. I don’t really intend to fully incorporate running back into my exercise routine just yet, but for today, it felt absolutely amazing. Isn’t it crazy just how good a simple workout can make us feel?

*****

Shortly before my workout, I had a quick SOYJOY bar for a snack.

This new Dark Chocolate Cherry flavor is really, really good. The flavor of it almost reminds me of Christmas, if that even makes sense?

I don’t know…something about the dark cocoa flavor combined with dried cherries definitely screams Christmas to me.

A little while later, I put together another old favorite of mine: 2% cottage cheese + pumpkin + unsweetened applesauce + pumpkin butter.

If you’ve never had it, I totally get if the combo sounds weird to you, but I swear it really is good. Subtly sweet from the pumpkin butter and applesauce; creamy and filling at the same time. I topped this bowl with some banana slices and granola.

You know, it’s very similar to a pumpkin yogurt bowl, just with cottage cheese instead. Go ahead and give it a shot. Winking smile

Right now, I’ve got dinner cooking in the crockpot,

am sipping on another mug of Pumpkin Spice Chai Latte while doing some work,

and Cody is just straight chillin’.

We’ve recently started allowing him in the bedroom more often (and even letting him sleep with us) and, well, let’s just say he has a new favorite spot. Smile

1 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 9, 2012 at 2:57 pm

Well done on the run! There is nothing like the endorphins that running releases, never fails to put me in a good mood!! :) I seriously need to track down pumpkin butter that I can get shipped to Ireland!!! What goes in to it?
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Thin and Flexible

2 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 9, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Hooray for running…. and it feeling good! :)
I make that cottage cheese mix all the time and people think I’m crazy—– but I also put in in the microwave for a few seconds to make it warm! (not make it hot or melt it!) DELICIOUS!!!!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Jackson’s Birth Story

3 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 9, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Yay for running! I did a quick 3 mile run today which was pretty challenging for me. My joints are in definite need of new shoes and the ones I ordered just can’t come quick enough!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Things I’ve Learned This Week

4 Becki (@Fight4Wellness) October 9, 2012 at 3:08 pm

Sometimes you just need to run. :-) I’m so curious about that Soy Joy bar. The first one I ever tried was at HLS12 and I really want to try more of them. I love anything that tastes like the holidays.
Becki (@Fight4Wellness) recently posted..BAA Half Marathon Recap Part Two: You Can’t Always PR

5 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 9, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Woohoo for running! Even though I incorporate various types of fitness into my normal routine–like swimming, biking, and strength training–nothing quite feels as good as running. Oh, and anything that tastes like the holidays is a winner in my book! :)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..A Rainy NYC Run

6 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat October 9, 2012 at 3:20 pm

A great run is an incredible feeling – thats major mileage after taking off for so long, too!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..NYC Weekend by iPhone

7 Julie @ Sweetly Balanced October 9, 2012 at 3:21 pm

Congrats on the run!!!! I loooove cottage cheese, but usually just eat it plain, I’ll have to try adding something like this to it!!
Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted..I Finally Did Intervals

8 Kathy October 9, 2012 at 3:22 pm

Yes…I just ran 6.33 miles…in an hour…slower than most but faster than the couch potatoes. ;-) (yea, I just made that up…ha!)

But I felt great…like I could conquer the wash at least.

Your foods look very comforting. ;-)

9 Karla October 9, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I love when workouts feel good! I say way to go on the run… Funny that to you 6.0 mph is slow…. That’s my fast! :(
Karla recently posted..Sometimes all I want to do is binge

10 Andrea @ Vegvacious October 9, 2012 at 3:39 pm

Once those pets get into your bed, you’ll never get them out!!! We have one rottweiler that sleeps with us every night and another one that sneaks up from time to time. I love the fact that they snuggle with us, but it doesn’t make for the soundest of sleeps LOL!
Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..Healthy Autumn Salad

11 char eats greens October 9, 2012 at 3:51 pm

I LOVE your treadmill screen…I so want a Nordic Track. Nice going with incorporating some running again. It’s always nice to bring something back for FUN – such a better feeling than it being forced :)
char eats greens recently posted..we baked a pie!

12 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction October 9, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Isn’t it crazy how a workout can turn your mood around? I’ve been so busy, a little stressed and under the weather so I haven’t been able to get out there lately it totally takes a toll on my mood. I need some endorphins STAT!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Take Me to The County Fair

13 Presley @ Run Pretty October 9, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I love the feeling of running after a break. It’s tough but in a good way. :)
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted..Healthy Tailgating

14 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie October 9, 2012 at 4:50 pm

Awesome job on the run! That is an adorable picture of Cody, he looks so comfy!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Fall Flavors At Their Finest

15 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 9, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Aww Cody looks so darn happy! And that sounds like the perfect evening … the weather is a little brisk here right now, so chili sounds wonderful!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..14 weeks (AKA “Only 6 more weeks until we find out the sex!”)

16 Brandi October 9, 2012 at 5:05 pm

That’s awesome on the run Courtney! :)
Brandi recently posted..Columbus Day it is!

17 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom October 9, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I am thinking it must be your long legs that make you think walking at 4.5 and jogging at 6.0 is taking it easy. I think I would be on the verge of a slow jog at 4.5 mph!!

Hmmm, is that spaghetti sauce or chili in the crock pot?
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Feel the Booty Burn

18 michelle kim October 9, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Happy about your run! I know a little more intense exercise here and there really boosts my mood. Glad you got to speed it up while still taking it easy :)
And thanks for your recommendation on the Pumpkin Chai latte from TJ’s. I picked it up yesterday and have been putting a bit in my coffee for that lovely flavor of spices!
michelle kim recently posted..EGGScellent.

19 Courtney October 9, 2012 at 5:31 pm

OH MY GOSH…that is an amazing idea!! I am so totally doing that tomorrow. Thank you!!! :)

20 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 9, 2012 at 7:03 pm

I haven’t done any running in a good long while either, but sometimes I get the urge to go on a little jog. For now I’m still sticking to walking, but we’ll see what happens in the future. Glad to hear that you got a good mood boost from it :D
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... my food rules .

21 Kim@hungryhealthygirl October 9, 2012 at 7:48 pm

I love those workout that just make you feel so good! I’m going to have to give that pumpkin cottage cheese bowl a try…sounds yummy!
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Boredom Buster Workout {no equipment required}

22 Em @ Yep. I Ate That. October 9, 2012 at 8:25 pm

There’s nothing like a good run. Whenever I take a month-plus long break from it though, I’m always sooo sore the day after. I’ve gotta get to to Trader Joes for some of that pumpkin spice chai latte mix!!
Em @ Yep. I Ate That. recently posted..October Yoga Challenge – Week 1

23 Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset October 9, 2012 at 9:33 pm

Glad that you were able to run and it made you feel GOOD! It’s nice to exercise when you truly crave it, as opposed to just working out because you ‘have’ to.
Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset recently posted..Life in the fast lane (*mind*)

24 Laura October 9, 2012 at 11:27 pm

I would love for you to do a follow up on how everything’s going with your HA issues…have things, um, you know…returned? Is that why you feel comfortable running again? I’d love for you to continue the open discussion, as I found it all very helpful as I struggle through my own issues as well… Thanks, Courtney, for your openness!

25 Ara October 10, 2012 at 1:42 am

Congrats on your run! Where does one get pumpkin butter at? That combo of pumpkin, pumpkin butter & cottage cheese sounds really tasty to me. I’d love to try it.
Ara recently posted..Tuesday Tunes – Maroon5

26 Courtney October 10, 2012 at 8:23 am

Trader Joe’s!

27 Ara October 10, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Sad. :( No Trader Joe’s in SLC yet. However, because of your post, when I went out to lunch today at a restaurant, they sell Pumpkin Butter. After I get paid, I’m going to go back & get some & try this snack.
Ara recently posted..33 Years Ago Today

28 Megan@funsizedfitness October 10, 2012 at 7:24 am

That dark chocolate cherry Soy Joy looks pretty good! I’ve never been a huge fan of their products though because the consistency is so dry – have they fixed that recently?
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..Fun at the Apple Farm!

29 Courtney October 10, 2012 at 8:22 am

I’d say the consistency is about the same, so they may just not be your thing! ;)

30 Erin October 10, 2012 at 11:40 am

I totally know what you mean! Anything with almond extract reminds me of Christmas! I think it’s the almond poppy seed bread my mom always makes…

31 Alexandrina October 10, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Your cat is adorable! I don’t/can’t let our kitties in my room; bad allergies. But I love when I get to have them around when the allergies aren’t too bad.

32 Bek @ Crave October 10, 2012 at 9:55 pm

The Soyjoy bar pic looks like a christmas fruit cake maybe that’s why it reminds you of Christmas?
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Frozen Food Product Review- Weight Watchers: Chicken Risotto