A Major Chocolate Fix

by Courtney on October 13, 2012

Ghirardelli_logo(1)

This post is brought to you by Ghirardelli Intense Dark™ Chocolate.

AdvertisementSoooo, do you guys remember when I shared this photo with you all this past Monday?

Umm, yeah. The day the mailman dropped (no, wait – hand delivered!) this package to my doorstep, he immediately became my new best friend. I mean, how could he not?

(FYI: If you want to be best friends, bring me chocolate. Lots of it.) Winking smile

So how did I get so lucky to wind up with all of this fantastic PMS cure stuff? Well, I wound up being selected to participate in this campaign through the DailyBuzz Food Tastemaker Program, so I received 14 bars of dark chocolate:

• (2) Evening Dream 60% Cacao
  • (2) Twilight Delight 72% Cacao
  • (2) Cabernet Matinee
  • (2) Sea Salt Soiree
  • (2) Hazelnut Heaven
  • (2) Toffee Interlude
  • (2) Midnight Reverie 86% Cacao

YUM.

All this past week, Jay and I took turns sampling the various bars of chocolate just as they were; not added to a dessert, not baked with…just plain and simple dark chocolate. Needless to say, our after-dinner desserts were taken care of this week!

Most of the times, we just ate the chocolate without anything else. A couple of times we did try them with some other food, and we did pair a couple of them with a glass of wine.

I’m actually really hoping to try out the Cabernet Matinee with a glass of red wine sooner rather than later. Jay and I are mostly white wine drinkers, but I have a feeling that if it’s anything like the wine and chocolate pairing Jay and I did a couple years back, it would just be incredible.

That was such a fun day. Smile

One of our favorites was the Sea Salt Soiree. I love when dark chocolate has a little added crunch to it, and the almonds delivered just that. Plus, you can basically pair any chocolate with sea salt and it’s incredible, right?

I was actually drinking a glass of white wine when I tried this one, and call me crazy, but it actually wasn’t a bad pairing?! I know dark chocolate is supposed to pair best with red wine, but I apparently don’t have that keen sense of good wine pairings. I just like to drink the stuff.

Another favorite of mine was the Hazelnut Heaven.

I don’t know what it is, but any sort of chocolate with hazelnuts always reminds me of Christmas. It’s funny because, as much baking as we do over the holidays, I don’t think there is one thing that anyone in my family ever makes that even has hazelnuts in it.

Then again, maybe it’s because hazelnut sounds almost like chestnut, which makes me think of them roastINGGGGG on an open fiiiiiiireee. (<—that’s me singing)

Then againnnnn, maybe I’m just rambling, so let’s move on.

There were a few bars that Jay and I were not total fans of, which we really weren’t surprised by…

These three bars were just a bit too dark for our liking and sort of gave us a few of these squinched face moments.

I’ve never been a huge fan of just plain chocolate bars (I know, call me crazy, right?). I’m thinking that these may end up being good to bake with – just finely chop them up and add them into a cookie recipe or something. Nowwwww we’re talkin’!

Out of all seven flavors of dark chocolate that we tried though, we most definitely ended up with a clear winner…

The Toffee Interlude…mixed with toffee bits AND caramelized almonds?! Sign. Me. UP.

Want to know something funny? Just writing about this one got me so excited that I had to go grab another square of it.

What can I say? The stuff is GOOD. Winking smile

Thank you SO very much to my friends at DailyBuzz Food for offering me a major chocolate fix this past week. It was much needed and very much appreciated!

Question for the Afternoon:

Are you a fan of dark chocolate? What would have (or is) your favorite?

1 Olivia @ Liv Lives Life October 13, 2012 at 4:40 pm

Isn’t that funny…the three bars that you didn’t like are my favorites! Haha! I’d love to try the Cabernet Matinee, though…that sounds so good!

P.S. I don’t think any of us can blame you for rambling. You are talking about chocolate, after all! :-)
Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..Cheese & Wine Festival + Diwali

2 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 13, 2012 at 4:43 pm

I love really dark chocolate, it’s my fav! What a cool thing to be a part of, not exactly a hardship having to taste them all! Yum!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Grabbed My Attention

3 Cait October 13, 2012 at 4:48 pm

oh man the 86% is my fav!

4 Amanda @ Let Me Be What's Underneath October 13, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Oh girl–you just made me want some chocolate in the worst way!! :)
Amanda @ Let Me Be What’s Underneath recently posted..Burning the Candle at Both Ends.

5 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 13, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I used to HATE dark chocolate..like we’re talking major loathe. But then I started eating healthy and my tastebuds have truly changed. I might actually prefer the dark stuff over milk chocolate..now that is something I never thought I’d say.
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Vegetarian Gumbo Recipe

6 Marielle October 13, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I’m an all-inclusive chocolate lover. But my favorite is dark chocolate and red wine..,yum! Enjoy all the chocolate lucky girl!
Marielle recently posted..Desk Stretches

7 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire October 13, 2012 at 5:09 pm

I looooove the sea salt soiree. The other night I melted a couple of squares with some almond milk and peanut butter and ate it with a banana-so, so good. Dark chocolate is definitely my favorite, but Reese’s win in my book every time.
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..9 Things

8 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles October 13, 2012 at 5:56 pm

we.can’t.be.friends……. seriously, all that chocolate is making me too jealous to even be nice ;)
Sea salt- mmmmmm! My mouth is watering. I like the super dark stuff so that I only eat a square of it!! AND ——> Cabernet Matinee! That must be heaven!
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Jackson’s Birth Story

9 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 13, 2012 at 6:00 pm

I’ll gladly take any of the dark chocolate off your hands! :) I LOVE dark chocolate. The darker the better! It cracked me up about the squinched faces. lol. That’s what my husband does, too.
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Friday’s Five!

10 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 13, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I’m a fan of chocolate, period. :-)

That toffee one looks amazing! I’ve got a dark chocolate coconut camino bar I’m working my way through right now, and it’s definitely making me happy.

My absolute fav is dark chocolate and salt caramel. I got it in a Godiva truffle last March and I’m still thinking about it. So good.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Pork and Bean Chili.

11 Deb October 13, 2012 at 6:37 pm

LOVE dark chocolate – LOVE Ghirardheli – Dark Chocolate Caramel & Sea Salt – DIVINE!!!

12 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 13, 2012 at 6:40 pm

These bars look so good! I’d especially like to try the Hazelnut Heaven! I like dark chocolate, but I think I like milk chocolate more!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Favorite Comfort Foods

13 Linz @ Itz Linz October 13, 2012 at 6:53 pm

i love chocolate! i just came back from ghirardelli square in san francisco! the pumpkin spice caramel chocolate is so good!! i love fruit flavors, too!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Itz Who? Duh! Itz Linz!

14 Lindsey October 13, 2012 at 7:14 pm

Love dark chocolate! Sea salt is always yummy :)
Lindsey recently posted..Foodie Friday

15 Beks October 13, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I actually adore dark chocolate. The darker, the better. I like to let the little squares melt in my mouth. But it’s fantastic for baking, too.
Beks recently posted..LiveFit Phase 1: Weeks 1 and 2

16 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 13, 2012 at 8:26 pm

I LOVE dark chocolate and while 70%+ might be a bit much for me, I do really like the darker varieties. YUM! And I don’t think my family really does much with hazelnuts either. Maybe this year I need to change that? :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Top Cool Weather Running Tips!

17 Julianna @ Julianna Bananna October 13, 2012 at 8:35 pm

i love their sea salt soiree!
Julianna @ Julianna Bananna recently posted..Highlights of the Week

18 Renee October 13, 2012 at 8:39 pm

If my mailman delivered chocolate to my door, I would fall in love with him!
I think the 3 you didn’t like would be my favorites. I don’t like toffee at all, it has an odd taste to me. I bet the sea salt kind are amazing, sweet and salty are always great together.
Renee recently posted..New Family

19 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 13, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I do love dark chocolate! I think I would have to go with the toffee.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..“I’ll Have What She’s Having”

20 Kim@hungryhealthygirl October 13, 2012 at 10:56 pm

Yum…it all looks good! I’m not a big fan of dark chocolate either, but I try to choose because I know it’s healthier. ;)
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Friday Fun with a running popquiz

21 Taylor October 13, 2012 at 11:04 pm

I am in love with the Sea Salt Soirée one! I recommend having it with a couple more almonds on the side….might seem like almond overload but I promise you, the added ‘crunch’ makes it extra delicious! Also – try the squares after they’ve chilled in the freezer for about 10 minutes :) pure heaven!

22 Trisha October 13, 2012 at 11:36 pm

Mmmm, LOVE dark chocolate!! That Toffee Interlude looks amaaaazing!
Trisha recently posted..WIAW & Cancellations

23 Khushboo October 14, 2012 at 12:38 am

Looove dark choc, especially with sea salt! The weird thing is that I love choc bars yet find choc-based desserts a bit too intense…I’m more vanilla :)
Khushboo recently posted..My current favorite packed lunch…

24 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate October 14, 2012 at 1:09 am

I think I might die and go to heaven if I was sent that much dark chocolate. ;-)
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Coveting Pinterest Finds

25 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction October 14, 2012 at 5:58 am

I am with you I am not a big fan of chocolate bars. I like to have something in with it, such as toffee and almonds.
The sea salt one looks yummy too. I like sweet and salty together.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..TGIF

26 Dee October 14, 2012 at 8:16 am

Oh my, am I jealous of that spread! I almost always have a bag of ghiradelli 60% cacao chips at home! Love that stuff for baking and snacking! I like it with raisins, dried cranberries, and whole natural almonds (my trail mix of choice!) yum!

27 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness October 14, 2012 at 8:29 am

How awesome! I love dark chocolate! It took a while of getting used to but I finally think I love it way more than milk chocolate! That toffee bar looks so great!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Paleo Pumpkin Risotto

28 Shannon October 14, 2012 at 12:51 pm

I LOVE dark chocolate- it’s most definitely my favorite kind to eat and bake with. There’s not a specific flavor of dark chocolate that I like. Plain dark chocolate is what I like the best- no add ins for me.

29 Bek @ Crave October 15, 2012 at 2:30 am

I do enjoy dark chocolate but I’m the same with you in that I probably wouldn’t like the dark, dark stuff.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Brisbane Fitness & Health Expo Giveaway!

30 Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans October 15, 2012 at 8:33 am

I lovelovelove dark chocolate! I’m the weirdo that eats 100% cacao chocolate. I like it DARK!
Lea @ Greens and Coffee Beans recently posted..Homecoming!

31 Amanda October 15, 2012 at 9:47 am

I do love dark chocolate. Sea Salt Soiree and Toffee Interlude are 2 of my favorite chocolate bars EVER. Usually my fiance and I just hit up the chocolate aisle at Whole Foods though, and see what’s on sale. It’s a fun way to try new things!

32 Bonnie October 15, 2012 at 5:03 pm

Toffee Interlude is my FAVORITE!!! You have good taste ;)