Deconstructed Chicken Parmesan Burger Pizza

by Courtney on October 16, 2012

I’m switching things up a bit this morning.

We’re not talkin’ about breakfast today. Nope, not at all. Instead, we’re gonna talk about last night’s dinner.

Eeeeek. Just looking at it again makes me excited.

So a few weeks ago, I was invited to participate in the Hodgson Mill “Build a Better Pizza” Facebook Recipe Contest. I’m always game for making pizza, so I figured, sure – why not? As a part of participating in the contest, I was sent a package of Hodgson Mill products, including Hodgson Mill whole wheat flour, organic white all-purpose flour, yellow corn meal, and yeast packets. I was good to go!

So shortly after hearing about the contest, I started talking with Jay about what type of a recipe I wanted to create for my entry. I obviously wanted to do something unique – something that nobody else would probably do. At the same time, I also wanted it to be somewhat “safe” since it had to taste amazing too.

Then one day last week, it hit me…

“I’m going to make my Chicken Parmesan Burgers into a pizza!”

So last night, I got to work. The first thing I did was make a batch of the Chicken Parmesan Burgers, but rather than make them into patties, I rolled them into meatballs.

To make the meatballs:

I rolled 24 meatballs and placed them all in a 9×13 pan sprayed with nonstick cooking spray. Cook in a 400 degrees F oven and bake for about 25 minutes, until slightly golden.

(Since the pizza only required about 8ish meatballs, we’ve still got a good amount left to have another time – score!)

Around this time, I also worked on making the dough. One of the stipulations for the contest was that the recipe needed to include a homemade crust comprised of at least 50% whole wheat flour. No problem-o.

Since I wanted to somewhat mimic my chicken burgers, I also made sure to season this crust the same way I would season my burger buns…with a little garlic and Italian seasoning. (recipe down below!)

Once the dough was made and had risen, I rolled it out onto a sheet pan while my baking stone heated up in the oven. (We like to cook our pizzas this way, since the hot stone helps make the crust a bit crispier).

Once the oven was preheated, I took out the stone and sprinkled it with yellow corn meal.

Then I transferred my prepared dough onto the hot stone, attempted to make it into somewhat of a circle, and got ready to start building.

First up: a little extra minced garlic…because we can all use a little extra garlic in our lives, right? Winking smile

Next up: pizza sauce. And lots of it. We’re big fans of the stuff around here.

Next up: Play a few rounds of fetch with Cody because you’re still feeling guilty.

Next up: sprinkle a thin layer of shredded mozzarella cheese on top of your sauce. Then layer on some of your cooked and sliced chicken parm meatballs. Finish the pizza off with another layer of cheese and some dried oregano and basil. (I also sprayed my crust with a little garlic olive oil that I have, just for a little added flavor).

Pop the pizza into your preheated 400 degree F oven, and allow it to make for about 15-20 minutes, or until crust is slightly golden and cheese is melted.

Take it out of the oven, salivate like it’s nobody’s business, and cut into slices (8 for us).

Then take your slices and dive right in.

Recipe experiments always make me slightly nervous, because you just never know. Sometimes they’re a hit…sometimes they’re a major flop. Thankfully, this pizza was definitely NOT a flop.

The awesome part is that you could truly taste each and ever element of the pizza: you had the Italian garlic and herb seasoned crust, the garlicky sauce, the juicy chicken parmesan meatballs, and, of course, the cheesy mozz.

If you’ve tried the Chicken Parm Burgers – or you just love pizza – then you definitely have to give this pizza a shot.

So I’ll give you the recipe, but only if you promise to head on over to the Hodgson Mill Facebook page and “Like” my contest recipe entry! ;) (P.S. – If you vote, you get entered into winning some Hodsgon Mill gift certificates too!) You guys are the best…thanks a bunch! xoxoxo **Edited to add: For some reason, my entry isn’t showing up yet…I’ll be sure to let you know when it does. Thanks everyone for letting me know!

**Good news is that my recipe is now UP and running, so if you love me lots, feel free to CLICK HERE to vote for my yummy Deconstructed Chicken Parmesan Burger Pizza. Thanks a bunch you guys!

deconstructed chicken parmesan burger pizza

Deconstructed Chicken Parmesan Burger Pizza with Garlic & Herb Crust

(inspired by my Chicken Parmesan Burgers)

Garlic & Herb Crust Ingredients:

Pizza Ingredients:

• 1 batch Chicken Parmesan Meatballs (see directions above – you’ll need about 7-8 meatballs from the batch)
  • minced garlic (to taste, or omit)
  • jarred pizza sauce (about 1/2 cup, or to taste)
  • mozzarella cheese (we only used about 1 – 1-1/2 cups on our pizza)
  • dried oregano and basil

Directions:

**I made my dough in a bread machine, but if you don’t have one, follow these steps for the dough:

In a large bowl, combine water, yeast, sugar, and olive oil. Mix with a spoon, then let sit until foamy, about 10 minutes. Add in all of the all-purpose flour, 1-1/2 cups of the whole wheat flour, sea salt, garlic powder and Italian seasoning. Stir with a spoon until dough comes together but it still sticky. Using your hands, form the dough into a ball and work the additional 6 tablespoons of whole wheat flour (you don’t need to use all if it is not needed) in to the dough, kneading it on a floured surface for a few minutes. Rub the same bowl with olive oil then place the dough inside, turning to coat. Cover with a towel and place in a warm place to rise for about 1 1/2 hours.

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F. (if using a pizza stone, place that in the oven while preheating)

After the dough has risen, punch it down and place it back on the floured surface. Using a rolling pin or your hands, form it into your desired shape. (if using a pizza stone, remove from oven, sprinkle with corn meal, and place dough onto hot stone). Build your pizza, starting with garlic, then layering on your sauce, cheese, chicken parm burger meatballs, more cheese, and seasonings.

Bake in a 400 degree F oven for 15-20 minutes, until crust is slightly golden and cheese is melted.

Cut into slices and ENJOY!

I know we sure did. Winking smile

1 Amanda October 16, 2012 at 9:48 am

Yum yum yum! I’m on my way to like your entry and I think I’m going to make it this weekend! Made my mouth water!!

2 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 16, 2012 at 9:53 am

That looks delicious! And I was just about to recipe plan for the week :)
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Just Another Manic Monday

3 Amy @Macncheesenpeas October 16, 2012 at 10:10 am

Looks Delish!! this combines two of my fave foods, pizza +chicken parm! What could be better?
Amy @Macncheesenpeas recently posted..The Weekender: Fall is better in Vermont

4 Yellow Haired Girl October 16, 2012 at 10:12 am

HOLY HANNAH. This looks incredible!!!
Yellow Haired Girl recently posted..Be Happy

5 Kathy October 16, 2012 at 10:13 am

YUM….
Kathy recently posted..TMI Tuesday

6 Jai October 16, 2012 at 10:14 am

yummmm. This looks amazing – pizza is the ultimate fall comfort food. :)
Jai recently posted..My Double Life

7 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 16, 2012 at 10:15 am

Chicken Parm is one of my favorites and so is pizza so I can only imagine how great the two tastes together. Yummy! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Campbell’s Chicken Marsala Skillet Sauce!…

8 krystal October 16, 2012 at 10:18 am

That sounds amazing!! Your link doesnt work though when I tried to like the page.
krystal recently posted..MIMM: Bachelorette Party Fun

9 Megan October 16, 2012 at 10:21 am

That pizza looks delish! When I clicked your link to vote I couldn’t find your entry even after “liking” the Hodgson Mill page.
Megan recently posted..10 Things I’m Ok Not Liking

10 Sue October 16, 2012 at 10:22 am

I went over to vote for you but I couldn’t find your pizza. Do you know what page it is on? Thanks.

Sue

11 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife October 16, 2012 at 10:23 am

this looks ridiculously delicious!
Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife recently posted..Lots of Goodies

12 Rachel October 16, 2012 at 10:24 am

Your pizza looks so perfect!
Rachel recently posted..Exciting News!

13 Beks October 16, 2012 at 10:28 am

That sounds amazing! I should try to make it this weekend when my sis is home. :-)

14 Brigitt October 16, 2012 at 10:33 am

Your pizza is a perfect circle!! I’m still working on that skill. I usually just shape it into a rectangle, because it’s so much easier haha.
Brigitt recently posted..How to Make Pumpkin Puree

15 Nicole October 16, 2012 at 10:34 am

That looks really good, and totally different from anything I’ve ever had! I’ve made your chicken parm burgers before, they were a big hit in our household. We’re also big fans of homemade pizzas around these parts, so I have no doubt this would be just as good… thanks so much for sharing, can’t wait to try it!

16 kristina October 16, 2012 at 10:41 am

me too! i went to vote but your pizza wasn’t there…

17 kim@hungryhealthygirl October 16, 2012 at 10:51 am

I love me some pizza and that one looks amazing!! I think I need to get a pizza stone. Definitely heading on over to vote….just by looks alone.
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..The best healthy pumpkin muffins ever!

18 Caroline @ After Dinner Dance October 16, 2012 at 10:51 am

You’ve got me ready for dinner – this looks so delicious! Pretty too – I often can’t get a perfect pie shape like that :)
Caroline @ After Dinner Dance recently posted..Zooma Half-Marathon and Handana Giveaway!

19 Sarah October 16, 2012 at 10:53 am

Whoa… are you serious? You think it’s funny to put this in our faces early in the morning when dinner is 12 hours away and to leave me standing here drooling like I’m lookin’ at a pic of the Biebs? (that was hypothetical) You owe us all a slice for that mean trick :p
Hey, guess what’s for dinner on Friday night? :) I’ll report back!

20 Becca October 16, 2012 at 10:58 am

I LOVE the burgers, so will def have to try this! I am a pizza nut! I tried to vote too, but can’t find your pizza. Will try again in a bit :)

21 Ally's Sweet & Savory Eats October 16, 2012 at 11:01 am

Too funny – I just put a poll out on my facebook page today of what I should make this week and one was a pizza and one was chicken parm baked subs…..I guess I should now combine the two!
Ally’s Sweet & Savory Eats recently posted..Cinnamon Raisin Streusal Muffins {+ 5 Other Varieties}

22 Laurel October 16, 2012 at 11:09 am

Yeah, I am craving chicken parm at 11 am! YUM!!

23 Kerry @ Totes My Oats October 16, 2012 at 11:27 am

Oh man does that look amazing!!! I’m a sucker for a good pizza recipe :)
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Pennsylvania Field Trip

24 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots October 16, 2012 at 11:28 am

this looks so freaking good!! Now I wish I was having this for lunch!
Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted..My Yoga Online Review

25 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 16, 2012 at 11:51 am

This sounds amazing. You’ve got me craving pizza at 10 AM and I didn’t pack any for lunch :(
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... marvelous pie and Pi .

26 Blog is the New Black October 16, 2012 at 11:55 am

Courtney, I want to kiss you. This looks insane!!!!!!! And, I adored those burgers so I LOVE the idea of both meatballs AND this pizza.
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Classic Pot Roast

27 Annette@FitnessPerks October 16, 2012 at 12:12 pm

That looks sooooo good! I love turkey on pizza!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Super Food: Eggs

28 Sarah October 16, 2012 at 12:14 pm

That pizza looks so yummy! I’m definitely craving it now!
Sarah recently posted..Rainy Monday and an Athlete Nutrition Talk

29 Julie October 16, 2012 at 12:22 pm

That looks so awesome! I am going to have to try it. Your crust looks so good! So circular. Every time I make pizza it is more like an oval shape or a heart.

30 Alysia @ Slim Sanity October 16, 2012 at 12:23 pm

that looks sooo super fabulous! yummy.
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..stay safe while running

31 Suzanne @ Fit MInded Mom October 16, 2012 at 12:25 pm

Ohhhh, this looks GOOD!!!! I think I need to put a bread machine on my needed kitchen items list for recipes like this. However, you do make it sound easy enough without one. I may have to give this one a try very soon!!
Suzanne @ Fit MInded Mom recently posted..Big Cookie Fail

32 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 16, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Yum, yum, yum!!
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Mile Markers Book Review

33 Lauren October 16, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Courtney this looks sensational! Seriously, I’m swooning!
Lauren recently posted..More Fall Inspired Recipes

34 michelle kim October 16, 2012 at 12:45 pm

This looks like a professionally made and photographed pizza, woman! What a fantastic idea to put meatballs on it like that! I’ll definitely have to get on that :)
michelle kim recently posted..Long, Slow, and Hot

35 Barbara October 16, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Courtney, this pizza looks SO good! I have a question about the meatballs – did you turn them at all in the baking process or just leave them be? Thanks!

36 Courtney October 16, 2012 at 12:55 pm

I just let them be (lazy!) and they were fine. I’m sure you could turn them halfway if you wanted, but they seemed to turn out a-okay!

37 Megan@funsizedfitness October 16, 2012 at 1:01 pm

WOW, that looks amazing! Chicken parmesan is one of my favorite Italian dishes…and pizza’s one of my favorite foods!
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..Cardboard Box Bonanza

38 Ashlee October 16, 2012 at 1:27 pm

YUM! I love making pizza on a grill stone or oven stone, but I always run into one problemo…How do you get the pizza onto a HOT stone?! I can’t figure out how to “safely” take a hot stone out of the oven OR transfer a raw pizza onto a stone in the oven without messing up the pizza? Hmmm. I’d love to know your tip!

39 Courtney October 16, 2012 at 1:37 pm

Once the stone was hot, I took it out of the oven and put it on a big hot plate. Then I transferred over the dough (which was very easy to work with) and quickly spread it over the stone. Since the dough was already rolled out on the other pan, it just basically needed to be fitted to the edges. It’s actually pretty easy!

40 Ashlee October 16, 2012 at 5:20 pm

Ahhh! Ya know, I probably could’ve answered my own question if I would’ve paid closer attention to your instructions! I ‘ve always topped my pizza BEFORE transferring! Duhhhh Ashlee! Thanks :-)
Ashlee recently posted..Leftover Monday

41 Juile October 16, 2012 at 1:45 pm

that looks ahhhh-mazing!!!! i love making homemade pizza and this recipe is one i will have to try! very creative, courtney! :D

42 Raychel October 16, 2012 at 1:49 pm

That looks SO STINKIN’ GOOD! I’m definitely saving this one to try later! :)
Raychel recently posted..A Perfect Saturday

43 Brandi October 16, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Holy goodness that looks good!

44 Life's a Bowl October 16, 2012 at 2:31 pm

This looks fantastic, deliciously yummy!!! I’ve never made homemade dough but love TJ’s whole wheat dough- probs will cheat and use that and then add the rest of the toppings… Semi-homemade?! ;)
Life’s a Bowl recently posted..Marvelous Monday [MIMM #2]

45 Eva @ Committed2Nutrition October 16, 2012 at 2:36 pm

HOLY AMAZING this looks awesome. I just made chicken burgers for the first time last night and loved them… I am scared at failing when it comes to making home-made pizza crust, but it doesn’t look all THAT hard.. just some time needed. You rock for this :)
Eva @ Committed2Nutrition recently posted..Monday & on a pork kick

46 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 16, 2012 at 2:55 pm

Wowsers! I’m drooling over the dough alone! I love adding cornmeal to a pizza base, gives it an extra special touch! Pinning for the dough recipe! :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Fail turned opportunity

47 Alicia Orozco October 16, 2012 at 5:39 pm

I need to get a new stove but as soon as I do…well I know what I am going to break it in with!

Good Luck on the contest!
Alicia Orozco recently posted..Proud Owner of a 2013!

48 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate October 16, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Looks great, I just voted!
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Oldie but Goodie

49 Alison October 16, 2012 at 8:57 pm

Oh my gosh, you are a genius!! This looks amazing! :D

50 Bek @ Crave October 17, 2012 at 6:08 am

Good luck Courtney- I’ll get voting :) Looks great ;) And original!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..How I’m rolling

51 Holly October 17, 2012 at 3:22 pm

So I CANNOT wait to make this recipe! I don’t know if I will be brave enough to make my own crust, but I will definitely be trying this!!