Impromptu 4th Annual Fall Festival

by Courtney on October 21, 2012

Well, it may have been a bit more subdued and thrown together, literally, within a couple of hours, but yesterday we celebrated our 4th Annual Fall Festival.

If you were to check out our previous fall festivals…

…then you’d see that this year is hardly even close to the others. Unfortunately, there were a few last minute cancellations, combined with other friends having plans, so calling this Fall Festival may be a bit of a stretch. In actuality, it was more just like our Mexico crew hanging out for the day with lots of good food.

As you can see, we definitely had lots! And for having thrown this together within about 4 hours, I’d say we did pretty well, wouldn’t you?

I also wound up coming across a recipe on Pinterest for Candy Corn Popcorn Balls. I already had all of the ingredients on hand, so I quickly threw these together before heading over for the festivities.

They really were super easy to make – pretty much like a rice crispy treat, but with popcorn and candy corn. I think everyone liked ‘em!

Of course, there was also plenty of seasonal beverages…

I enjoyed a pumpkin beer towards the beginning of the afternoon but then just decided to stick to water. Oddly enough, I wasn’t really feelin’ it yesterday…crazy, right?

The boys, on the other hand, were having fun experimenting with all sorts of fun girly drinks martinis. All of a sudden, my husband became a skilled martini maker…who knew?

He was making pumpkin spice martinis, chocolate banana martinis, appletinis…I couldn’t believe it?!

The funny part was that the boys were the ones enjoying them all afternoon, while the girls were drinking beer.

Just look at those characters and their girly drinks. Winking smile

Of course, even if it was impromptu, if it was even slightly dubbed Fall Festival, then that meant there was one mandatory component…

Mal’s Chili. It would never be the same without it…soooo, sooo good.

We all spent most of the afternoon just hanging out and snacking, and a little later in the evening we broke out the games.

A few rounds of Scattergories and Taboo are always surefire ways to get in some good laughs. We were all talking about how we really need to bring back game night. We used to have game nights so much more often, but we got out of the habit.

This winter, we’re bringin’ it back! (hopefully)

*****

Breakfast

This morning, Jay and I slept in for a bit before getting up for some breakfast. I asked him if he’d “pretty please” make me one of his amazing omelets (<—old school post alert! Complete with a shot of the old kitchen), and after my incessant begging and pleading, he finally caved. Mission accomplished.

I ordered a one egg + 2 egg white omelet, filled with red peppers, onions, tomatoes, spinach, and feta cheese. He jazzed it up with all sorts of yummy spices and whatnot, but I have no idea what they were…all I know is that they were scrumptious.

On the side, I toasted us up some whole wheat English muffins – mine with half peanut butter, half raspberry jelly.

And then I also proceeded to leave the toaster oven on all during breakfast, so now our house smells like burnt toaster oven scraps and Jay is convinced that I was trying to burn the house down. Woops. Winking smile

How’s everyone else’s weekend going? Today Jay and I have to finish up some stuff house work (aka, raking leaves…shoot me now) and then we’re off to my parents’ house to watch the Jets game. Hey, at least I have something fun to look forward to after dealing with the leaves.

Catch ya’ll laterrrrr!

1 Kim@hungryhealthygirl October 21, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Looks like lots of good food! I’ve been wanting to try some pumpkin hummus.
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..S’mores Fun

2 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction October 21, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Those popcorn balls are so cute! What a good idea for an easy fall treat. Also those cookies look fabulous as well! Have a great Sunday :)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Ways to Prevent Knee Injuries When Running

3 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 21, 2012 at 12:26 pm

Ack good luck with the leaves! I had to do that last weekend and it just wiped me right out. I highly suggest refuelling with some apple pie, though. My mom baked me one as a ‘sorry-for-making-you-do-manual-labor’ treat and the pain in my arms was quickly forgotten ;)

Hope you’re having a great Sunday!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... cookies, PJ’s, and parties .

4 Alicia October 21, 2012 at 1:26 pm

That still looked like a fun fall festival! Those Martini’s looked so good. Good luck with your Jet’s game…mine isn’t looking that great so far!
Alicia recently posted..Sunday Fun Day: Cooking Galore!

5 Astro Gremlin@induction cooking October 21, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Good food, good drinks, good games, and good friends — it doesn’t get any better. Enjoyed the photos of your fantastic fall festival!
Astro Gremlin@induction cooking recently posted..Induction Cooking on a Budget updated Mon Oct 15 2012 10:27 pm EDT

6 Julie @ Sweetly Balanced October 21, 2012 at 2:11 pm

That looks like such a fun night!!! So much good food, I love nights like those!! I had a great weekend, my fiance went out of town so one of my best friends from upstate came down with her doggie to spend the weekend with!! It was a great girls weekend so much fun!!
Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted..Adventures in Trapeze

7 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 21, 2012 at 2:47 pm

That’s such a cool tradition!!! Yummy eats, friend and board games..can’t go wrong! I’m a scrabble girl myself, so damn competitive!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..I’m in a cookbook!

8 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 21, 2012 at 3:48 pm

Yum! Lots of great eats here! I absolutely LOVE Taboo! It’s easily my favorite game. Scattergories is another really fun group game. We try to do game nights pretty regularly throughout the winter since the weather is no good!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Whole Wheat Waffle from Scratch

9 Sana October 21, 2012 at 6:02 pm

Yikes, glad that the house did not actually burn down!

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 21, 2012 at 6:10 pm

I used to LOVE playing Scattergories as a kid. That was our go-to game to play as a family. Every time my extended family got together, that’s what we’d play. Sometimes it got pretty CRAZY.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Dreams DO Come True

11 Brittany @ Proteinandpumps.com October 21, 2012 at 6:26 pm

Pumpkin Beer – My Favorite!! Looks fun! I’m not a fan of candy corn but I love the idea!
Brittany @ Proteinandpumps.com recently posted..How Do You Stay Motivated?

12 Joy October 21, 2012 at 6:34 pm

We had a Halloween party yesterday and I did all te set up and clean up sooooo hubs is in charge of the leaves (hope he doesn’t mind)
Joy recently posted..It’s Friday I need to fill in

13 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 21, 2012 at 6:59 pm

OK the picture of the guys drinking martinis with their pinkies in the air is absolutely priceless. That’s some awesome blackmail haha! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Pasta Bake Recipe

14 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 21, 2012 at 7:16 pm

Pumpkin spice martinis?! Yum! I love Scattergories!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – Week 31

15 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 21, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Looks like a ton of fun!

16 Shari October 21, 2012 at 10:38 pm

Scattergories is the best!
Shari recently posted..Book-Baby.

17 Hollywood Healthy October 21, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Get Jay to give us the recipe for his appletini Yum!!
Hollywood Healthy recently posted..Chickens

18 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 21, 2012 at 11:50 pm

Sounds like you had a great weekend!! :)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..The Perfect Fall Day + Roasted Pumpkin Seeds Recipe

19 heidi kokborg October 22, 2012 at 7:08 am

Gosh! That breakfast looks sooo good! I love English muffins with pb and jam :)
heidi kokborg recently posted..Vitamin C

20 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 22, 2012 at 7:12 am

All of that food looks great! Sounds like such a fun weekend :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Plain & Fancy Kind Of Weekend…

21 Bek @ Crave October 23, 2012 at 6:20 am

Sounds like fun! Haha, love that the boys are drinking ‘girlie’ drinks and the girls are sticking to the hard stuff- beer ;) Oh and h2o for you :P
Bek @ Crave recently posted..What you resist, persists- MBMS 2