A Sweet and Salty Salad You Must Try

by Courtney on October 22, 2012

Well, I went and got my camera back from my parents’ house this morning, so even though it’s old news, here’s a few pics from the day.

Plenty of Jets fan gear all around, as if you didn’t already notice. Winking smile

IMG_4550IMG_4551

My mom put out a great spread of food…I contributed the beer bread you see up there in the corner, but she plenty of cheese and crackers, her taco dip, and cookie dough dip to snack on.

I had a few nibbles from the snack table (mostly the beer bread), but I actually challenged myself to try and hold off on the cookie dough dip until the fourth quarter of the game. Surprisingly enough, I made it to the fourth quarter…but then I went cookie dough dip crazy and probably ate half the bowl.

Okayyy, slight exaggeration. But I had a lot. I promise.

Halfway through the game, I put together a small plate of some of the other hot appetizers – mom’s special meatballs and a couple slices of garbage bread.

Also on the menu yesterday were some “Green Goblins.”

My parents got this shooter recipe when they were in Jamaica earlier this year and it’s pretty good. Not sure exactly what’s in it, but I think I heard pineapple juice, orange juice, blue curacao, and vodka? But who cares…it tastes good. Winking smile

*****

Lunch

I had to take care of the grocery shopping late this morning too, and out of nowhere while walking down one of the aisles I got a craving for a very specific sort of salad. I was in the cereal aisle too, so honestly, I have no idea where this craving came from? But as soon as I got home, my little sweet and salty creation was made…and devoured.

• fresh spinach
  • chopped apple
  • dried cranberries
  • green grapes
  • warm turkey bacon
  • crumbled goat cheese
  • ~3 pecan halves, crumbled
  • raspberry walnut vinaigrette

Oh. My. Goshhhhhhhh. The sweet and salty combo in this salad was insane. There’s really just no other way to describe it. I want another one, like, right now.

You just gotta love when a craving comes together and totally hits the spot, right?

Question for the Afternoon:

Fill in the blank: The last major food craving I had was ____________________ and it tasted ____________________.

1 Elaine October 22, 2012 at 1:56 pm

The last major food craving I had was cookie dough (chocolate chip cookie dough specifically…it’s my favorite) and it tasted fabulous! Now I’m craving that cookie dough dip!!
Elaine recently posted..Mini Crustless Pumpkin Pies

2 Tara October 22, 2012 at 1:57 pm

The last major food craving I had was ice cream, and it tasted heavenly!!! :) I just can’t get enough of the stuff…that’s why I make it a treat and wait until I am reallllyy craving it :)

3 Khushboo October 22, 2012 at 1:59 pm

The last major food craving I had was for truffle pizza and it tasted way better than I remembered!
Khushboo recently posted..A Taste of Naples

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm

The last major food craving I had was for ice cream in a cone and it tasted delicious! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Plain & Fancy Kind Of Weekend…

5 Melanie October 22, 2012 at 2:13 pm

Dark Chocolate with Sea Salt…and it tasted FABULOUS as always!
Melanie recently posted..Birthday Surprises, Pot Roast, and a Pinch of Yoga

6 tara October 22, 2012 at 2:16 pm

Hi Courtney, I couldn’t find a recipe for the cookie dough dip, but wondered if you might be able to share it? Thx!!

7 Courtney October 22, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Hey Tara!
Sure thing – it’s not my recipe, but it’s phenomenal: http://www.howsweeteats.com/2010/12/chocolate-chip-cookie-dough-dip/

8 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries October 22, 2012 at 2:19 pm

Looks like an awesome spread! That takes some self control to stay away from the cookie dough dip til the 4th quarter! I’m impressed! ;) The last craving I had was (The Simply Bar Protein) chile chips + cottage cheese and it was amazing. Maybe it sounds weird, but it’s one of my new favorite snacks these days!
Ashley @ My Food ‘N’ Fitness Diaries recently posted..A “Me Time” Weekend

9 Annette@FitnessPerks October 22, 2012 at 2:24 pm

Oh that salad looks SO good (minus the bacon). I love the salty cheese with cranberries. Mmmmm!

Last craving I had was my w.w. protein pumpkin bread, and it tasted amazing!!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Fitspiration

10 kim@hungryhealthygirl October 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Yum…everything looks delish! I love sweet and salty. My food craving has been coming on over the past couple of days and it was the big bowl of fruit and cereal that I had this morning and it tasted scrumptious!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Cauliflower Pizza Crust & MIMM

11 Lauren October 22, 2012 at 2:25 pm

Your parents are too cute! I love that they bust out shooters at a family gathering. :) What a fun night.
Lauren recently posted..Weekend Highlights and a Muffin Recipe you Need to See

12 Laura October 22, 2012 at 6:19 pm

I was gonna say the same thing!! Can’t say I ever did a shot with my mom or dad, even at my wedding! lol

13 Courtney October 22, 2012 at 7:37 pm

LOL – my parents are pretty cool cats. ;)

14 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 22, 2012 at 2:26 pm

omg . . . here’s something you might like. Best appetizer-type combo I’ve had lately: goat cheese stuffed peppadews. So tasty!
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Butternut Squash Fries

15 Suzanne @ Fit MInded Mom October 22, 2012 at 2:29 pm

My last food craving was for DOTS, the candy and it tasted fabulous but I was p*ssed because I only had a tiny box(4 dots) and wanted more, lol!!!

That salad is right up my alley!! Nothing has sounded good today until I saw that and now I want one but don’t have the stuff to make it. Waaaahhhhh!!!
Suzanne @ Fit MInded Mom recently posted..Meal Planning

16 Shana October 22, 2012 at 2:33 pm

The last food craving I had was cornflakes. Yes, cornflakes. And it tasted glorious. I hope my next food craving is a little more exciting!

17 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 22, 2012 at 2:34 pm

Looks like you had a good evening with lots of tasty eats! Sorry it didn’t end so well but at least there was some cookie dough dip to make it all better, right? ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Hocus Pocus & Vitamin String Quartet

18 Tiffany @SkinnyTiffanyBlog October 22, 2012 at 2:39 pm

Your salad looks delicous!!! The last craving I had was a simply caramel milky way & it tasted sooo good!!! :)
Tiffany @SkinnyTiffanyBlog recently posted..Day 22 – Lazy Day

19 crustybagel October 22, 2012 at 2:50 pm

The last major food craving I had was for hot wings and they tasted so good I could marry them!
crustybagel recently posted..Scatter Brain

20 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction October 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm

I want the recipe for the garbage bread and cookie dough dip :) I make a cake batter dip, but that cookie dough one looks good too!
My last craving was pasta salad and when I finally made it it tasted delicious :)

21 Rachel October 22, 2012 at 2:51 pm

oo cookie dough dip sounds great!! I actually haven’t had a cookie in a while lol the last craving I had was for crackers, they tasted amazing hahaha

22 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 22, 2012 at 2:52 pm

Chocolate french toast…vegan style and it tasted AWESOME!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Abs Blast

23 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 22, 2012 at 3:06 pm

This is very strange, but last night I started thinking about the leftover wedding cake in the freezer from my sister’s wedding. All of the sudden, I couldn’t stop craving it! I gave in, and it was amazing!

24 Steph @ StephSnacks October 22, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Your football Sunday’s always make me so jealous with such amazing-looking food! Maybe I will make myself a ‘sweet and salty’ salad tonight.. right up my alley!

25 michelle kim October 22, 2012 at 3:10 pm

The last food I craved was Vietnamese noodle soup and it was perfect for a cold evening (it came out super hot, which I love). It totally warmed me up and felt like comfort food.
BTW, I made your sweet tuna salad and I’m eating it with multigrain chips. SO GOOD, and so convenient to eat when I don’t have much time between classes. :D

26 Courtney October 22, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Mmmmm, isn’t it the best?!? I’m gonna have to make another batch this week :)

27 Beks October 22, 2012 at 3:16 pm

Fill in the blank: The last major food craving I had was Nutella, so I made a PB Nutella wrap (whole wheat! It was healthy!) and it tasted Sensational! Especially after it took me 20 minutes to dig the Nutella out of the cabinet. It decided to hide from me.

And that salad looks amazing. Like you’d order at a restaurant. I think I might need to give it a try. :-D
Beks recently posted..Week Three~C’est Finis, and a movie.

28 Renee October 22, 2012 at 3:30 pm

My last food craving was for brussel sprouts of all things! I usually crave them when I’m low on Iron. I whipped a few up and they HIT the spot :)
Renee recently posted..A Kleenex Moment

29 Brittany @ Proteinandpumps.com October 22, 2012 at 3:45 pm

The last food I craved was hot wings and I don’t know how it tasted because I fought the craving – ha! But you better believe it’s in the works for my next cheat day! Tough loss yesterday, you guys were ssssoooo close!
Brittany @ Proteinandpumps.com recently posted..How Do You Stay Motivated?

30 Shannon October 22, 2012 at 4:24 pm

That is probably the most random salad I’ve ever seen created. Interesting.

The last major food craving I had was spaghetti and meatballs, and that wasn’t even dinner. :(

31 Kristen @ notsodomesticated October 22, 2012 at 5:01 pm

Well I mentioned it on my blog today, but my last major food craving was for KFC (don’t judge … I’m pregnant haha!) and it tasted exactly how I remembered it tasting (I swear I haven’t eaten it in probably 20 years). So salty, so fatty, so wonderful. ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..16 weeks … and a very special giveaway.

32 Linz @ Itz Linz October 22, 2012 at 5:23 pm

COOKIE DOUGH DIP?!?! WHAT?!?! SHARE PLEASE!!! (and i’m just overly excited – not yelling! haha)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..VLOG – Runner’s World Weekend

33 Courtney October 22, 2012 at 5:30 pm
34 Emilie @ Hungry Delights October 22, 2012 at 6:09 pm

omigosh – that salad looks sooo good! I love adding fruit like apple or pear to salad – it really kicks it up a notch :) I really need to taste goats cheese too – I usually just pick up feta from the grocery store but if everyone is going for goats cheese it must be pretty good!
Emilie @ Hungry Delights recently posted..Our Engagement Shoot!

35 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 22, 2012 at 6:35 pm

The last major food craving I had was froyo and it tasted so good! swirled birthday cake and salted caramel with frosted animal crackers and a whole bunch of chocolate-y toppings. Amazing.

That salad sounds so tasty! I love a sweet/salty combo…chocolate covered pretzels are some of my favourite things in existence.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Phase 1 Complete + Yoga Fail.

36 Hollywood Healthy October 22, 2012 at 8:58 pm

The last food craving I had was Froyo! But we don’t have a froyo shop in our town :( so I got a malt and it tasted fantaboulous!
Hollywood Healthy recently posted..Oatmeal Coma

37 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 22, 2012 at 9:16 pm

Love adding apples to salads – they’re probably one of my favorite additions, especially when they’re paired with cheese :D And especially, especially since I’ve been craving them like crazy lately…

The last major food craving I had was pumpkin hummus pizza and it tasted like a dream.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... macros and micromanagement .

38 Elizabeth @ AsToldByASassyGinger October 22, 2012 at 9:59 pm

I last craved Lindt Truffles all throughout class, because I just got a bag for $2. They tasted amazing:)
Elizabeth @ AsToldByASassyGinger recently posted..My food philosophy at the moment

39 Megan@funsizedfitness October 22, 2012 at 10:00 pm

The last major food craving I had was for a popcorn ball, and it was DELICIOUS!
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..I Don’t Know How to Cook Meat.

40 Katy October 22, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Mac and cheese and it tasted like my childhood!
Katy recently posted..My Pants Don’t Fit

41 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 22, 2012 at 10:57 pm

The last major food craving that I had was for roasted sweet potatoes and they tasted deliously crispy and AMAZING! Don’t worry, most of my major cravings are not always that healthy. ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Roasted Part 4: Sweet Potatoes, Broccoli, Cauliflower, & Zucchini + Seasoned Quinoa

42 Andrea October 23, 2012 at 1:11 am

Totally off topic, but did you ever do an ACV recap? Have you noticed any changes/effects yet?

43 Courtney October 23, 2012 at 8:14 am

I haven’t actually done a recap yet! It’ll be coming up later this week, but unfortunately, I haven’t been taking it regularly enough… :(

44 Andy October 23, 2012 at 1:24 pm

I tried to take it every day but just couldn’t stick with it! It gave me heartburn and an upset stomach for hours and that’s all I could taste afterwards. ACV burps are not pleasant!! I totally thought I’d be able to handle it though because all I ever use on my salad is straight balsamac and I dump regular vinnegar all over my french fries…..ah well.

45 Jessie October 23, 2012 at 1:14 am

I actually had that drink mixture when we were in greece (okay, not just one.. maybe a couple). It’s so good though!

46 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 23, 2012 at 12:23 pm

Sweet and salty salads are my absolute favorite type of salad! And those shooters look kinda amazing…(even though I’m a Pat’s fan). They’d be festive for Christmas too, let us know if you track down a recipe!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..New England Fall and Frankenstein Brownies

47 Avery October 23, 2012 at 1:39 pm

The last major food craving I had was GrapeNuts in milk warmed up in the microwave and drizzled with organic honey and it tasted like my childhood.

48 Delisa October 23, 2012 at 6:05 pm

Cookie Dough Dip? Can you post the recipe for this? It sounds delicious and dangerous:)

49 Courtney October 23, 2012 at 6:43 pm

I actually linked to it a few times in the comments above! I would again but I’m on my phone :)

50 Bek @ Crave October 24, 2012 at 6:25 am

The last craving I had was for carby bread and the taste was filling and comforting!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Change- MBMS 3

51 Janice October 29, 2012 at 1:38 pm

I love that you have Woodchuck in your picture. Woodchuck is my BFF and whenever I see someone else with it, it makes me happy. Cheers.
BTW, I enjoy reading your blog.