Childhood Memories

Sangria on a Wednesday night while catching up with two friends I haven’t seen in, umm, forever?  Yes, please!

Also, please notice the broken chips on the table there…that would be my bad. Winking smile

But anyway…so yesterday evening, I headed out to meet up with my friends Gabby and Wendy for some Mexican and lots of catching up at La Fiesta. I realized (thanks to the blog, haha) that I hadn’t seen Gabby since last April and Wendy since July 2010. Cliché, yes, but sometimes it really does amaze me at just how fast time flies.

By the time I arrived, they had already had a table with some chips and salsa, so I helped myself to some of those while we got caught up. The chips were pretty decent, but I really like the salsa – super fresh.

And still more broken chips…

I went back and forth with about four different items on the menu for what seemed like hours, but eventually decided on their Quesadillas Texanas. Thank goodness Gabby ordered the same thing, because otherwise, I would have sounded like a real terd pronouncing them as they appear (they’re pronounced more as “tey-hanas” apparently).

So yeah, thanks again for that one Gab. Winking smile

The quesadillas were filled with shredded chicken, and spinach, and some sort cheese sauce that I wasn’t quite expecting. The cheese was good, but I think I would have preferred more stringy cheese?

Hey, no biggie. I was there to hang with friends anyways. The food was just an added bonus. Great to see you girls again!!

*****

Breakfast

This morning, I took care of catching up on a few emails and making Jay’s lunch (it doesn’t happen everyday – I’m not that great of a wife) before making my own breakfast. Sorry, not much different today from yesterday, so I added in a couple of my favorite Halloween decorations so spice up the photo.

They’re so cute, aren’t they? I <3 Kirklands.

Breakfast may look like a repeat, but there were a few subtle changes – today’s included regular pumpkin + peanut butter, banana slices, and chia seeds, plus a protein apple chunk muffin

With just a tid bit more peanut butter. Winking smile

As I was in the front window photographing breakfast (gosh, that sounds so ridiculous when you say it out loud) I couldn’t help but notice our front yard. Remember last week when the leaves looked like this?

Welp, now it’s looking a bit more bare.

Ohhhhh, that is just so gross. And the sad part is that we Jay just raked the whole front yard on Saturday.

I can still remember coming up to this house with my parents when my grandparents still lived here. We’d bring all of our rakes and make a day out of it…my parents would spend all this time raking the leaves into big piles, and then my brother and I would jump in all of them and make a mess of everything. And then we’d proceed to play this game called “statues” where we’d stand on the front lawn and come up with different statues while cars drove by.

Just typing that up literally makes me chuckle. Ohh, memories. Smile

Question for the Morning:

What’s one of your favorite childhood memories?

Comments

Quesadillas is my Mexican go-to. The combo of chicken and spinach looks delicious!

And one of my favorite childhood memories is swinging on my swing set out and watching the leaves fall. I think that memory is one of the reasons I love fall so much. :)
    Elaine recently posted..Baked Macaroni and Cheese Balls

I am having dinner with girlfriends tomorrow, which will include sangria. Can’t wait. :)
    The tree in front of my place looks just like that now, too! I couldn’t believe all the leaves that dropped seemingly in a few days. The lovely part is that I live in an apartment and so someone else gets paid by the leasing company to rake them up. Haha.
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..My Essential Oils

3. Amanda says

I love leaves on the ground. They are not fun to clean up though. Living in South Texas, we don’t get a fall. I would kill for that tree in my front yard and the leaves on the ground! :)

Oh my gosh girl, that’s a lot of leaves!! I think I would just leave them there if it were me…Good thing we don’t have that problem here in Texas!

5. Whitney says

To entertain ourselves while our mom clothing shopped, my sister and I would pretend to be mannequins in the store window. Oh the days where there was not a care in the world! :)

• Courtney says

Oh, I’ve definitely had it quite a few times! (I had it on yesterday’s breakfast) ;)
      It’s great! I love it with peanut butter, in yogurt, and in my oats. Soo good!

Can you please decorate my apartment for Halloween/fall/life? I just discovered a Kirkland’s right near my apartment, maybe I’ll head over there to look for some cute decorations!

One of my favorite childhood memories (and this is embarrassing) is spraying people with the whipped cream bottle. I used to spray my grandparents all the time, I’m not sure how they dealt with me!
    Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..Find Your Strong-Saucony Guides

I love chips and salsa at restaurants! It seriously surpasses the bread basket any day!

Favorite childhood memories include:
    Getting home from school, having a snack, and quickly changing into “play clothes” and running around with the neighbor kids outside until dinner.

Playing on the “snow mountain” in the middle of our cul-de-sac.

Barbies, Legos, and board games.

Playing house, school, post office, and doctor.
    Laura @ LauraLikesDesign recently posted..Halloween Goodies

• Courtney says

Oh man, Laura I think I have almost ALL of the exact same memories!
      Especially the one about going outside and playing until dinner – so sad that things are so different now, isn’t it?

This is probably my ultimate childhood memory. There’s a popular theatre in Omaha called the Orpheum. When I was about four, my dad’s Theatre Organ club was installing a really fancy schmancy organ, with the understanding that by doing so, they could use the venue at a reduced rate for concerts (It’s since moved to a smaller theatre called The Rose).

Anyhoo, my mom had to work, so my dad took my sister and I with, and we spent that entire day running around the theatre, playing, exploring backstage, dancing, pretending we were big stars. At the end of the day, I dropped by sister’s ballet flat down into the orchestra pit (which went down about two stories), and went down with my dad’s friend, Bob, to pick it up, because my dad was doing something, and my sister was too chicken to go down there.

To this day, that is my favorite place in all of Omaha, and I’ve even had the opportunity/pleasure to perform there when I was in high school.

It always makes me augh when I think of the dumb games I played as a kid and my poor parents for putting up with it…. The worse one- pet shop – where my sisters and I would be dogs or cats and bark and meow all afternoon. Oh the memories!

10. Katie says

What a fun memory! My brother and I used to play “cots” where we’d take all of the pillows and sofa cushions from everywhere in the house and gather them in the family room – then we’d organize them like they would do a preschool during naptime and we’d figure out where our “friends” would sleep. Then we’d run off and play outside and get in trouble for not cleaning it up… ;)

I have found that one of the worst (or maybe best? ;) ) parts about eating at Mexican restaurants is the chips and salsa that they bring you….and bring you…and continue to bring you. They are just SO darn good and addicting, which is probably why whenever I eat out at a Mexican restaurant I go into it with the idea that I know I am going to splurge…a lot :)

One of my favorite childhood memories is probably spending time with all of my extended family during the holidays, especially my granddad. Ever since my grandparents passed away and family members have moved away, it seems like this is something that does not happen very often anymore so I cherish those memories.

I love when the leaves change! It reminds me of when I was younger and I’d go to my babysitter’s house and she’d make us help her rake the leaves. Then, we would pile them up higher than us and jump in them. I absolutely loved it! I don’t have to rake them anymore, though, otherwise I’d probably be bitter about them falling off too.
    P.s- now I’m craving tortilla chips :/
    Sarah recently posted..How Pinteresting that is…

I LOVE mexican. Esp yummy chips and salsa!

Glad you like the protein muffins! They are super good warmed in the microwave for 8 seconds, and topped with salted almond butter. Mmmmm.

P.s. they probably did stick a bit b/c of the absence of oil, but I also found it was great to freeze most of them, and then stick ‘em in the fridge a couple at a time. The wrappers came off in a snap.

Cheers! :)
    Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Weekly Workouts Update + Kona Kase Review

I didn’t know that your grandparents lived there! That is amazing! You know…I heard that you should only rake your lawn 1-2 times a season because the leaves are good for the lawn…kind of like compost :)

Oh, Kirklands! I miss it–no stores in DC. Boo :(

We used to run around the yard with backpacks on and play “Ghostbusters.” I can’t recall exactly what that game entailed, but if you lost, you had to say, “You slimed me!” Ah, the 80s. Good times.

I”m such a huge fan of childhood memories – probably because I wish I could go back to a time where the biggest thing I had to worry about is whether I got enough marshmallows in my bowl of Lucky Charms! Some of my favorite childhood memories involve baking chocolate chip oatmeal cookies with my mom. I remember sitting by the oven watching them grow and being unable to wait until I could enjoy one with a glass of milk.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW… don’t talk with your mouth full .

17. Alison says

Glad you had a great girls night out! I totally would have pronounced Texanas incorrectly also. Heh.

I’ll probably have to help my dad rake up the leaves soon here too! My favorite childhood memory is going sledding with my brother and dad. We would film it and we still have videos of some awesome crashes ;)

18. Shannon says

When I was younger, I remember having play shopping cart races around the kitchen table with my brothers and sister. I also thought blowing bubbles was one of the best things to do in the whole wide world. Blowing bubbles is really fun though.

19. Katie @ A Frizzy Life says

I miss fall leaves!!! I wish I appreciated them more when I was younger and actually got to see a nice change of season. Raking the leaves is totally worth it ;) What a beautiful view you have!

A dear friend of mine was diagnosed with Leukemia last week so I have been doing TONS of reminiscing & digging up childhood memories. I don’t think I can pick one favorite, memories are the best!
    Totally went out for Mexican yesterday & had to order the Enchiladas Guadalajara before my mom did so she didn’t make a fool of herself ordering. We go to Mexico every year but she just can’t seem to get it right!! ;)
    Trisha recently posted..Tuesday Thought Tumble