Italian-Style Tomato and Meatball Soup

Ohhhhhhh, boy oh boy oh boy oh boy. Do I have lots of yummy food (and recipes!) to share with you this morning. And if you follow me on Instagram, then you probably already know what I’m talking about.

Last night, I set out to make some homemade soup and bread. I’m sort of a fan of the whole soup and bread combo, but I decided to switch things up a bit from the usual soup rotation.

While I was at the store earlier this week, I happened to notice that extra lean ground beef was on sale, so I picked up a pound of it, still not quite sure what I was going to do with it. Jay’s always happy when there’s actual beef in the house, so I knew I couldn’t really lose either way. Winking smile

So I started browsing through some of my cookbooks and wound up coming across a recipe for a tomato type of soup…with meatballs. I mean, how fun does THAT sound?

One of the best parts about this soup is that it unbelievably easy. Once you’ve got the meatballs made, the soup will literally take you less than 15 minutes to prepare. I was actually a little leery of the very basic ingredient list, unsure of whether or not it would turn out super bland.

But I guess last night was my lucky night because this soup turned out anything BUT bland. WOOT!

So once I had the soup put together, I let it continue to simmer while I made my bread. I had actually had grand plans to make bread in the bread machine, but once again, my dough turned out like crap and I wound up tossing it before it could even start baking.

I’ll tell ya though, I think it’s true what they say…everything happens for a reason…because otherwise, I wouldn’t have put together this amazing little loaf.

sun-dried tomato and mozzarella quick bread

Basically, I made my latest favorite bread – Cheesy Italian Quick Bread – but added another special ingredient to the mix.

Sun-dried tomatoooooooes.

I received this amazing package of sun-dried tomatoes a couple of months ago from Mooney Farms, and although I’ve used the dry ones a few times here and there, I’ve never had the chance to use any of the others in an actual recipe until last night.

I decided to use the Sun-Dried Julienne Cut Tomatoes with Italian Herbs for last night’s recipe, and woahhhh baby are they delicious. Wowzahs!

So I will say that the amount of dishes that piled up in my kitchen last night from this dinner was totally disgusting…

But I will also say that it was totally worth it.

(I always get asked about the dishes – they’re from the Temp-Tations Collection on QVC!)

I tend to get a little nervous when I try out a new recipe, so I anxiously await Jay’s reaction to his first bite. Of course, he always has to give me the stone face to start, making me even more nervous, but after a few bites of the soup he was sold.

And he actually told me that he thinks this is now his favorite homemade soup recipe of mine. How ‘bout that?! I told him I think it’d be great with my chicken parm meatballs, so we may be trying that out sometime in the very near future.

Along with another loaf of this bread.

Especially considering the fact that between my two pieces and the rest of Jay’s, we’ve already polished off half of the loaf. (I hardly ever use this phrase, BUT…sorry I’m not sorry).

So now, how about a couple fun recipes to kick off your Friday morning?!

italian-style tomato and meatball soup

sundried tomato and mozzarella quick bread

Please tell me you’ll try them out soon, mmmkay??? Smile

This bread looks crazy good! Coincidently, I was just looking up bread recipes because I think I’m whipping up some chili and beer bread this weekend. I’m going to attempt from scratch but it’s usually a hit or miss. Yeast just doesn’t happen in my kitchen so I love that your recipe doesn’t include it. Maybe I will turn to you for bread support this weekend. :)
    Lauren recently posted..Friday Workout and Upcoming Weekend

Gosh that bread looks incredible. I pinned the original version of it back when you first posted it. It’s been on my to-make list for awhile! I hate the cold weather…but having homemade soup and bread certainly helps ease the sting of it. :)
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..My Essential Oils

Oh my word! Everything looks so amazing! I am definitely gonna try these recipes! The weather here in Arkansas went from 85 to 45 in a span of 24 hours….soup would be so wonderful today! :)
    Brandi recently posted..Holla Thursday!

4. Taryn says

That bread looks AMAAAAAZING! I’m always interested in trying out new bread recipes, but living alone makes having an entire loaf of delicious bread in the apartment extremely dangerous. I think I’ll try this one out when I’m home with my family for Christmas. I’m sure it will impress the socks off of ’em!

Yummo…..the soup and bread look amazing and so comforting….perfect for a chilly fall evening! This is going on the “to make” list for next week. It even looks like something my picky kiddos would like. 😉
    kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Link Love

That looks amazing girl! A major cold front just hit us in Texas, so I might just make this tonight!

Also, I did your killer circuit workout last night…You weren’t lying. Killer!! I loved it though and thought it was lots of fun!

7. Laura says

I’m thinking that even my super picky husband will eat this soup!!! But, I don’t think he’ll go for any kinds of tomato chunks in his soup — maybe I will run them through the food processor first?

As for that yummy looking bread — he definitely won’t like sun dried tomatoes. OH DARN – more for me!

• Courtney says

The recipe I adapted it from said 4, but I think we’ll probably be able to get about 5-6 with the size servings we had last night

8. Shannon says

You made my day even happier!!! Thank you so, so much for giving the soup recipe. It looks very delicious. :) Will be printing and setting this on the fridge covered with recipes to try.

I was going to ask about those dishes. They are too cute.

9. crystal d. says

Oh man both of those recipes look amazing!! It is going to get a bit chilly here in Chicago next week so some nice hot homemade soup and bread will be perfect!!! thanks!

10. Julie says

This looks so amazing! Totally making it this weekend. Quick question–did you use lowfat or nonfat milk & yogurt in the bread recipe? Thanks!

11. Libby says

Just have to say that I made your original version of this bread last night and it is WONDERFUL!! I served it with white chicken chili and it was perfect. Even my picky picky 12 yo son ate several pieces! Thanks for sharing the recipe…I know that I will make this bread again and again!