More Homemade Soup and Bread–Italian Style

by Courtney on October 26, 2012

Ohhhhhhh, boy oh boy oh boy oh boy. Do I have lots of yummy food (and recipes!) to share with you this morning. And if you follow me on Instagram, then you probably already know what I’m talking about.

Last night, I set out to make some homemade soup and bread. I’m sort of a fan of the whole soup and bread combo, but I decided to switch things up a bit from the usual soup rotation.

While I was at the store earlier this week, I happened to notice that extra lean ground beef was on sale, so I picked up a pound of it, still not quite sure what I was going to do with it. Jay’s always happy when there’s actual beef in the house, so I knew I couldn’t really lose either way. Winking smile

So I started browsing through some of my cookbooks and wound up coming across a recipe for a tomato type of soup…with meatballs. I mean, how fun does THAT sound?

One of the best parts about this soup is that it unbelievably easy. Once you’ve got the meatballs made, the soup will literally take you less than 15 minutes to prepare. I was actually a little leery of the very basic ingredient list, unsure of whether or not it would turn out super bland.

But I guess last night was my lucky night because this soup turned out anything BUT bland. WOOT!

So once I had the soup put together, I let it continue to simmer while I made my bread. I had actually had grand plans to make bread in the bread machine, but once again, my dough turned out like crap and I wound up tossing it before it could even start baking.

I’ll tell ya though, I think it’s true what they say…everything happens for a reason…because otherwise, I wouldn’t have put together this amazing little loaf.

sun-dried tomato and mozzarella quick bread

Basically, I made my latest favorite bread – Cheesy Italian Quick Bread – but added another special ingredient to the mix.

Sun-dried tomatoooooooes.

I received this amazing package of sun-dried tomatoes a couple of months ago from Mooney Farms, and although I’ve used the dry ones a few times here and there, I’ve never had the chance to use any of the others in an actual recipe until last night.

I decided to use the Sun-Dried Julienne Cut Tomatoes with Italian Herbs for last night’s recipe, and woahhhh baby are they delicious. Wowzahs!

So I will say that the amount of dishes that piled up in my kitchen last night from this dinner was totally disgusting…

But I will also say that it was totally worth it.

(I always get asked about the dishes – they’re from the Temp-Tations Collection on QVC!)

I tend to get a little nervous when I try out a new recipe, so I anxiously await Jay’s reaction to his first bite. Of course, he always has to give me the stone face to start, making me even more nervous, but after a few bites of the soup he was sold.

And he actually told me that he thinks this is now his favorite homemade soup recipe of mine. How ‘bout that?! I told him I think it’d be great with my chicken parm meatballs, so we may be trying that out sometime in the very near future.

Along with another loaf of this bread.

IMG_8461IMG_8463

Especially considering the fact that between my two pieces and the rest of Jay’s, we’ve already polished off half of the loaf. (I hardly ever use this phrase, BUT…sorry I’m not sorry).

So now, how about a couple fun recipes to kick off your Friday morning?!

italian-style tomato and meatball soup

sundried tomato and mozzarella quick bread

*****

Please tell me you’ll try them out soon, mmmkay??? Smile

1 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 26, 2012 at 8:14 am

Yummy! Total comfort food! I was so going to ask about the dishes! :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Local Apples

2 Karla October 26, 2012 at 8:14 am

It’s going to be 43 degrees here this weekend… I can’t wait to make this combo!
Karla recently posted..We can stop restricting, bingeing, purging, calorie counting, etc!

3 Kelly @ Femme Fitale October 26, 2012 at 8:16 am

Quick bread…yes, please!!!! What a great idea with the SD Tomatoes!
Kelly @ Femme Fitale recently posted..Just Another Fab Friday

4 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness October 26, 2012 at 8:19 am

This looks like the perfect comforting fall dinner! That soup looks amazing! Love any kind of soup with a tomatoey broth! So perfect for this colder weather!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..National Pumpkin Day!

5 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope October 26, 2012 at 8:20 am

Oh my goodness! This dinner looks absolutely delicious! I definitely want to try it but with turkey meatballs instead of beef. :) Love love love the dishes!

6 Lauren October 26, 2012 at 8:20 am

This bread looks crazy good! Coincidently, I was just looking up bread recipes because I think I’m whipping up some chili and beer bread this weekend. I’m going to attempt from scratch but it’s usually a hit or miss. Yeast just doesn’t happen in my kitchen so I love that your recipe doesn’t include it. Maybe I will turn to you for bread support this weekend. :)
Lauren recently posted..Friday Workout and Upcoming Weekend

7 Angela @ Health's Angel October 26, 2012 at 8:20 am

Gosh that bread looks incredible. I pinned the original version of it back when you first posted it. It’s been on my to-make list for awhile! I hate the cold weather…but having homemade soup and bread certainly helps ease the sting of it. :)
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..My Essential Oils

8 Brandi October 26, 2012 at 8:26 am

Oh my word! Everything looks so amazing! I am definitely gonna try these recipes! The weather here in Arkansas went from 85 to 45 in a span of 24 hours….soup would be so wonderful today! :)
Brandi recently posted..Holla Thursday!

9 Danica @ It's Progression October 26, 2012 at 8:28 am

yum!! that bread especially looks good–any bread with melted cheese is a win in my book :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Half Marathon #2 Race Recap

10 Beks October 26, 2012 at 8:32 am

I’m thinking both of these recipes are gonna happen within the next week. :D

11 Lindsay's List October 26, 2012 at 8:32 am

yum! i’m making this soup today! Maybe in my crockpot.
Lindsay’s List recently posted..life is good

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 26, 2012 at 8:37 am

That soup looks like 100% comfort food! I love meatballs in soup (Italian Wedding – style) so this looks pretty fantastic.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Restaurant Rules.

13 chelcie @ chelcie's food files October 26, 2012 at 8:45 am

yum that soup kind of reminds me of italian wedding soup (which I LOVE) but with tomatoes instead! and i love sundried tomatoes that bread sounds delicious!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Five Things Friday

14 Kim October 26, 2012 at 8:46 am

1/2 cup of finley chopped garlic? That’s a whole lotta garlic!

15 Courtney October 26, 2012 at 9:56 am

holy crap – that’s supposed to be onions! lol….changing that NOW. Thank you so much!

16 Taryn October 26, 2012 at 9:05 am

That bread looks AMAAAAAZING! I’m always interested in trying out new bread recipes, but living alone makes having an entire loaf of delicious bread in the apartment extremely dangerous. I think I’ll try this one out when I’m home with my family for Christmas. I’m sure it will impress the socks off of ‘em!

17 kim@hungryhealthygirl October 26, 2012 at 9:21 am

Yummo…..the soup and bread look amazing and so comforting….perfect for a chilly fall evening! This is going on the “to make” list for next week. It even looks like something my picky kiddos would like. ;)
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Link Love

18 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life October 26, 2012 at 9:22 am

I just pinned that soup recipe, looks amazing! I love meatballs, and throwing minis into soup is a perfect idea. Bite size = easier to fit on my spoon!

19 Tiffany @SkinnyTiffanyBlog October 26, 2012 at 9:24 am

Oh Yum!!! That looks absolutely delicious!! I think I’m going to attempt to make that soup this weekend!! I added a few ingredients to my grocery list! WOO HOO! :)
Tiffany @SkinnyTiffanyBlog recently posted..Day 26 – A Run in the Dark & PB Bites

20 Ashlee October 26, 2012 at 9:33 am

That looks amazing girl! A major cold front just hit us in Texas, so I might just make this tonight!

Also, I did your killer circuit workout last night…You weren’t lying. Killer!! I loved it though and thought it was lots of fun!

21 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine October 26, 2012 at 9:34 am

Oh wow those tomatoes look delicious. I actually ended up roasting tomatoes last night after seeing how delicious they looked in your salad earlier this week…. They did not disappoint.
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Pumpkin Chocolate Muffins – A Cake Mix Recipe

22 Melissa October 26, 2012 at 9:47 am

Can you say perfect fall meal?!? I am such a sucker for homemade bread–I’m sure I’d have no trouble destroying that!
Melissa recently posted..Health Warrior Giveaway!

23 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 26, 2012 at 9:48 am

I’m such a sucker when it comes to homemade bread, and omigosh that mozzarella quick bread sounds amazing. I’ve actually been craving tomato soup like crazy lately, and I wonder how the cheesy bread would taste paired with that…
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud #3 .

24 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit October 26, 2012 at 9:49 am

Yum! It’s finally chilly here in STL, I can’t wait to start making soups & stews, this one is on my list for sure! Happy Friday!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..Staycation 2012 on the Docket

25 Courtney F October 26, 2012 at 9:57 am

I make our bread once a week and this recipe of Sour Milk bread in the bread machine rarely disappoints!
(I don’t use sour milk by the way). The key to this recipe is the wet ingredients go in first and then the dry.
Courtney F recently posted..Randomness brings joy!

26 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 26, 2012 at 10:12 am

These both look great! I’ll have to make the bread with my chili tomorrow night!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Frozen In Time

27 Laura October 26, 2012 at 10:20 am

I’m thinking that even my super picky husband will eat this soup!!! But, I don’t think he’ll go for any kinds of tomato chunks in his soup — maybe I will run them through the food processor first?

As for that yummy looking bread — he definitely won’t like sun dried tomatoes. OH DARN – more for me!

28 Kerry @ Totes My Oats October 26, 2012 at 10:23 am

Both of those recipes sound amazing! Homemade soup and bread is my favorite meal so I will be trying these soon!
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Doing Nice Things

29 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 26, 2012 at 10:28 am

Mmm homemade soup with meatballs? Sign me up! Anddd freshly baked homemade bread? Seriously you must be going for wife of the year award! Such a perfect fall meal.
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Special Delivery

30 michelle kim October 26, 2012 at 10:40 am

I’m going to have to pull out this recipe when the weather gets colder (San Francisco still gets up into the 70’s these days, haha). Thanks for the recipe! And I’ve always wanted to make my own meatballs. I was actually planning on looking for a recipe :D
michelle kim recently posted..The Most Beautiful (and the Ugliest) Run

31 Sam October 26, 2012 at 10:58 am

This soup looks delicious! Do you know how many servings this makes?

32 Courtney October 26, 2012 at 11:03 am

The recipe I adapted it from said 4, but I think we’ll probably be able to get about 5-6 with the size servings we had last night

33 Shannon October 26, 2012 at 11:14 am

You made my day even happier!!! Thank you so, so much for giving the soup recipe. It looks very delicious. :) Will be printing and setting this on the fridge covered with recipes to try.

I was going to ask about those dishes. They are too cute.

34 Rachel October 26, 2012 at 11:14 am

That bread sounds amazing! I’ve been wanting to make bread for the longest time, just haven’t gotten around to doing it
Rachel recently posted..RIP Laptop

35 Em October 26, 2012 at 11:40 am

The bread looks amazing! Going to try it soon…how do you think it’d turn out if I replaced the all-purpose flour with almond or whole wheat flour?
Em recently posted..One Workout Song, Forever?

36 Courtney October 26, 2012 at 11:46 am

Not sure…but feel free to try it :)

37 crystal d. October 26, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Oh man both of those recipes look amazing!! It is going to get a bit chilly here in Chicago next week so some nice hot homemade soup and bread will be perfect!!! thanks!

38 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction October 26, 2012 at 12:03 pm

That bread looks amazing!! Definitely a comfort food! Why do I LOVE carbs so much!! HaHa

39 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 26, 2012 at 1:00 pm

Those recipes look fantastic! I will probably try to make the soup vegetarian by using MorningStar Farms “meatballs” and vegetable broth…we shall see how it turns out!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: October 24, 2012 + Roasted Winter Vegetable Jambalaya

40 Sarah October 26, 2012 at 1:47 pm

yummm that bread looks tasty!!
Sarah recently posted..What I love Most (friday favorites edition)

41 Mollie October 26, 2012 at 1:58 pm

That bread would be so good with some pesto smeared on it I bet! yumm

42 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 26, 2012 at 3:43 pm

Yum!!! Love the addition of meatballs to the soup!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Half Marathon Training Update

43 Julie October 26, 2012 at 4:30 pm

This looks so amazing! Totally making it this weekend. Quick question–did you use lowfat or nonfat milk & yogurt in the bread recipe? Thanks!

44 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 26, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I LOVE sundried tomatoes. Way to make me hungry… ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // A Yoga Adventure

45 Bek @ Crave October 26, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Wow, talk about huge ingredient list haha! That’s dedication right there- looks worth it though because the soup and bread looks yum!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Feeling a bit worse for wear

46 Emilie @ Hungry Delights October 30, 2012 at 11:02 pm

I can’t wait to get this in my belly! The quick bread looks soo good – sundried tomatoes looks like the perfect addition :)
Emilie @ Hungry Delights recently posted..WIAW – It is heating up!

47 Libby November 4, 2012 at 6:06 am

Just have to say that I made your original version of this bread last night and it is WONDERFUL!! I served it with white chicken chili and it was perfect. Even my picky picky 12 yo son ate several pieces! Thanks for sharing the recipe…I know that I will make this bread again and again!