A Meal I Would Have Grown Up With

by Courtney on October 29, 2012

Gooooooood morning!! Did everyone have a fantastic weekend? I know I did…here’s what was up over here:

I never made it back to “visit” on the blog yesterday, but did have a pretty productive morning, followed by a fairly relaxing evening. It was fantastic…a little football, a little reading, a Redbox movie (Jay chose “That’s My Boy” – not baaaad) and an easy coffee table dinner waiting in the crockpot.

Funny story…so I’ve actually had this chicken recipe hanging out on the side of my fridge for, probably, well over a year now. I have no idea why, but I just never think to make it. I look at it, I know it’s there, but that’s about the extent of that.

So yesterday morning before heading out to the grocery store, I happened to spot it again and decided to finally put it to use. I actually already had everything except for the chicken, so it was suuuuuper easy to throw together.

I literally just dumped everything into the crockpot on top of 5 small chicken cutlets, stirred it all around, and let it cook on high for about 5 hours. Jay said that when he looked at it cooking, it sort of reminded him of chicken and biscuits, so he requested biscuits to go with it. Since I already had some Bisquick on hand, I quickly mixed up a small batch while getting everything else ready.

My husband can be a pretty smart man, I’ll tell ya. It tasted absolutely delicious with the biscuits, and the chicken was so tender that it was practically falling apart. If you guys are ever in need of a quick meal in the crockpot, I’d totally recommend this one.

Along with our chicken and biscuits, I cooked up some baby carrots and green beans for some added veggies and color.

This totally reminded me of a meal that I would have grown up with…it has my dad’s name written ALL over it. Winking smile

*****

Breakfast

I think I got a little heavy handed with the spinach this morning…

What started out as some scrambled eggs with spinach and feta cheese wound up being more like a spinach scramble. Definitely way more spinach than eggs, but I’m totally cool with that. It tasted awesome AND I’ve already got about 3 cups worth of fresh spinach in the ‘ol tummy. Sweeeeet.

On the side, I had a couple of protein apple chunk muffins with some peanut butter.

Lots of variety – gotta love that!

***OCTOBER YOGA CHALLENGE UPDATE***

I decided that since we’ve only got three more days in the month, I’m just going to hold off on doing the last update to the challenge until this Thursday, November 1st. That way we can all just do a final wrap-up for the month.

Question for the Morning:

What sort of meals remind you of when you were growing up?

A few for me: chicken and biscuits (which my mom hated but made because my dad loves it), spaghetti with mom’s sauce and garlic bread, homemade pizza, roast beef with mashed potatoes and peas, meatloaf, chicken casserole (made with a Bisquick top), hot dogs with Kraft macaroni and cheese Smile

1 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 29, 2012 at 9:24 am

Yum! That looks delicious and super easy! I remember a lot of chicken and rice casseroles, Kraft Mac & Cheese, Stouffers Lasagna, and pizza nights growing up!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Oatmeal Pecan Pie

2 Chelsea @ Cardio and Cocktails October 29, 2012 at 9:25 am

My mom used to make the same things ALL the time. Spaghetti was on the table 1-2 nights a week (no joke) and then she would go through phases. For a couple years it was panini sandwiches, then chicken tikka marsala, and sometimes grilled chicken sandwiches. Now that she is a vegan, she comes up with all kinds of random meals, but my siblings and I still tend to stay clear from spaghetti to this day!
Chelsea @ Cardio and Cocktails recently posted..Halloween Party and Another Spooky 5K

3 Beks October 29, 2012 at 9:32 am

Actually, all of those things. On Saturday, I made a crock pot roast chicken that turned out fantastic, and served it with green beans, roasted brussels sprouts (which needed to go back in the oven. Sooooo not done!), cheddar biscuits, mashed potatoes. Took me back, and I’ve got TONS of leftovers from the chicken. Only things I would’ve changed would be to add garlic to the brussels sprouts, and more salt to the chicken (apparently it’s hard to over-salt a chicken?). Having leftovers for lunch today with some brown rice.
Beks recently posted..LiveFit Phase 1: Almost Done. Basically a recap

4 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life October 29, 2012 at 9:37 am

Most of the meals that remind you of childhood, remind me of my own childhood! Chicken and dumplings was one of my favorites, probably because I live anything doughy and carby, lol! I also loved my mom’s spaghetti and sauce, and my grandma’s macaroni and cheese! Again, loving those carbs! :)

5 Lauren @ Chocolate Cheese and Wine October 29, 2012 at 9:39 am

That’s too funny – I just made pretty much the same recipe for dinner the other night only using cream cheese instead of greek yogurt and italian dressing seasoning instead of onion soup mix. It was pretty delicious for sure!
Lauren @ Chocolate Cheese and Wine recently posted..Bacon and Sausage Breakfast Casserole

6 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness October 29, 2012 at 9:48 am

That’s like the ultimate comfort food meal! I grew up on homemade macaroni and cheese! My mom used to make it for me and my sister and I loved it! I haven’t it in ages!!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Marvelous in My Monday!

7 Blog is the New Black October 29, 2012 at 9:56 am

Looks so yummy and simple!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Samoa Rice Krispie Treats

8 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 29, 2012 at 10:04 am

Rotisserie chicken with mashed potatoes and peas remind me of growing up. It was an easy meal for my working parents to throw together, and everyone in the house liked it. :)
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Friday’s Five!

9 Lindsey October 29, 2012 at 10:06 am

Homemade clam chowder. It was my favorite until I realized there was clams in it. haha. True story! But not I am over the clam thing ;)
Lindsey recently posted..Chilly Halloween Weekend

10 Manon October 29, 2012 at 10:15 am

Meatloaf always makes me think of my childhood…..on the rare occasion my dad was cooking, that’s what we would have! He may not have cooked many things, but he made a magical meatloaf! Sometimes he’d change it up and make meatloaf muffins :)
Manon recently posted..It’s so hard…..to say goodbye…..

11 Courtney October 29, 2012 at 10:50 am

Haha, my dad didn’t do much for dinner either, but he makes a mean breakfast. Waffles and pancakes were his specialty :)

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 29, 2012 at 10:31 am

I just got a slow cooker for my birthday, so I’m definitely going to have to remember this recipe!

When I was a kid, I remember a lot of homemade stovetop mac and cheese, beef stroganoff, and grilled cheese. Basically, anything really hearty and warm. :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..If It Ain’t Broke + Groceries/Meal Plan 10/28-11/02

13 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 29, 2012 at 10:33 am

Love how easy this is! I immediately get turned off/discouraged by crockpot recipes that require a lot of work BEFORE putting everything in the crockpot… it defeats the purpose in my opinion!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Checking IN Before the Power Goes OUT

14 Courtney October 29, 2012 at 10:50 am

I agree!!

15 Kerry @ Totes My Oats October 29, 2012 at 10:34 am

My mom makes the most amazing homemade red sauce and every time I would make it when I was away at college, it made me think of home. Any slow cooked comfort food also reminds me of home.

16 Andrea @ Vegvacious October 29, 2012 at 10:39 am

I used to love KD & hotdogs or pancakes for dinner when I was a kid — we usually only got those as a treat when my dad wasn’t home. When he was, we had something a little more subtantial; usually it was meat/potatoes/veggies.
Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..Recipe Link Love from the Weekend

17 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes October 29, 2012 at 10:41 am

There’s no such thing as too much spinach! ;)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Write It Down, Do It Up – Week of Oct. 28

18 Maria @powerpeanutlife October 29, 2012 at 10:50 am

Totally unrelated but my boyfriend was actually IN the movie, That’s My Boy. He was the lawyer. Anyways, we never got around to watching it. This may be blasphemy since my love does make a small appearance….buuuttt….it doesn’t look that good. I have a sneaking suspicion you may agree. ;)
Maria @powerpeanutlife recently posted..A Quick Study Break

19 Courtney October 29, 2012 at 11:00 am

Wait, REALLY? Which lawyer???

20 Maria @powerpeanutlife October 30, 2012 at 8:25 pm

Mary’s defense attorney. Handsome man with the salt & pepper hair.
Maria @powerpeanutlife recently posted..Sandy’s Turned Me Into A Cooking Machine

21 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 29, 2012 at 11:02 am

That breakfast looks great! There can never be too much spinach…especially when combined with eggs and salsa or ketchup! ;)

Growing up, my mom rarely ever cooked. My dad would cook Sunday dinners and one of my favorites was always his meatloaf. Unfortunately, I do not have many memories of meals during the week unless you count Hamburger Helper and frozen meals ;) um…no thanks. I am so glad to be able to cook meals for myself and my family now so that I do not have to revert to dinners out of a box every night.
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Pizza for Breakfast: Breakfast Pizza Egg-Scramble Burrito

22 Connie @ Livin' Lean October 29, 2012 at 11:13 am

Chicken crockpot recipes are the best! The only time I’ve had chicken and biscuits was when someone recommended it at Cheesecake Factory and warned my boyfriend and I that the portion was huge..it was HUGE. We shared it and couldn’t even finish it. Definitely a comforting meal though!

Growing up, my mom would always make me fried rice! I still request it when I go home..it’s so good! We also had some other asian-y dishes that I don’t think have English names. :)
Connie @ Livin’ Lean recently posted..Happy 5 Years

23 Khushboo October 29, 2012 at 11:20 am

Cheese toasts remind me off when I was younger…full of cheese & butter and it tasted fab!
Khushboo recently posted..Starbucks comes to India…finally!

24 Laura @ LauraLikesDesign October 29, 2012 at 11:37 am

I just love the simplicity of Crock Pot meals–if only the Crock Pot could wash itself, it would be perfect!

I remember a lot of hotdishes (casseroles), Kraft mac n’ cheese, breakfast for dinner, and those tv dinners that came in the blue boxes…Kid Cuisines or something? My sister and I LOVED those and always begged my mom for them whenever we went grocery shopping with her! The nutritional stats of those are horrible though! haha

25 Lauren October 29, 2012 at 12:43 pm

Oh my, my mom used to make chicken casserole at least once a week growing up. Nothing like Campbell’s canned soup and a box of stovetop to bring back those childhood memories.
Hope you are staying warm and safe up in NY today! We are dealing with a monster here in PA.
Lauren recently posted..My Weekend: Touring the PA Wine Country

26 Danica @ It's Progression October 29, 2012 at 12:51 pm

hotdish always makes me think of my mom’s cooking growing up…she’d throw everything leftover in the fridge (veggies, meat) with noodles and cheese and call it dinner bahaha Sounds so gross when I say it that way.
-I’m glad you’re waiting on the last Yoga Challenge Update–I could use a few more days to meet my goal :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Workouts 10/21 – 10/27: post-half marathon week

27 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 29, 2012 at 1:07 pm

The more slow cooker recipes I see, the more convinced I become that I need to buy one… especially because my mom made a slow cooker stew over the weekend that was just to die for. And speaking of mom’s cooking, meals that remind me of growing up are Mac&Cheese, chicken fingers with mashed potatoes and corn, buttermilk pancakes, spaghetti noodles with butter and parmesan cheese, perogies, and tomato soup.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... i blame the gorgeous guy .

28 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 29, 2012 at 1:08 pm

I love enjoying a good meal that reminds me of my childhood. For me, it’s always some sort of chicken cutlets, with mashed potatoes and a vegetable. Totally reminds me of home :)
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Hurricane Sandy to the Rescue

29 michelle kim October 29, 2012 at 1:14 pm

Growing up, we were always given fried rice for school lunches (with peas, carrots, Korean marinated beef, egg)… so I always think of my elementary school days when I eat that.
Thanks for the easy recipe! I might have to adjust the amount of each ingredient because the slow-cooker we have in our apartment is a tiny 2-quart size.
michelle kim recently posted..Off to the Morgan Hill Marathon

30 kim@hungryhealthygirl October 29, 2012 at 1:28 pm

That totally reminds me of a meal I would have had growing up. I’m going to make this next time I need something super quick. Some meals that I had frequently growing up, lasagna with garlic bread, chicken & rice casserole, and barbecue weenies with mac & cheese.
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Breakfast Change-Up & Marvelous in my Monday

31 Meghan October 29, 2012 at 1:46 pm

Great recipe! So you add the biscuits raw to the crockpot?

32 Courtney October 29, 2012 at 2:01 pm

Noooo…I cooked them separately in the oven :)

33 Linz @ Itz Linz October 29, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I love easy crockpot chicken dishes! This will def get made during the colder months!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Runner’s World Cover

34 Sarah October 29, 2012 at 1:55 pm

What I eat now isn’t that different from what I was eating back while I was growing up… I don’t like a lot of foods, ha. Pizza was definitely a staple in my diet, though!
Sarah recently posted..How to survive a hurricane 101

35 Kacy October 29, 2012 at 2:02 pm

Saw this post and ran to the store during my lunch break and threw it in the crockpot at home- so now dinner will be waiting- so glad you posted this because I am exhausted and had no clue on what dinner would be.

oh and I added a can of mushrooms too ;)

36 Courtney October 29, 2012 at 2:21 pm

That is AWESOME. I like your addition of mushrooms (except neither of us really like them, haha).
ENJOY! :)

37 Nicole October 29, 2012 at 2:20 pm

My mom would always make Turkey Casserole (leftover turkey, white and wild rice, with cream of mushroom soup, celery, and onion). Any time she would make that, the house will fill with warmth! <3
Nicole recently posted..So….this happened this morning

38 Courtney October 29, 2012 at 2:23 pm

That sounds super yummy…
But not quite as yummy as the cookies you have posted about there on your link…MAN. Now I’m craving chocolate chip cookies! ;)

39 Nicole October 30, 2012 at 12:52 pm

I’ll make you chocolate chip cookies if you make me a cupcake! (I have a craving for frosting….and it’s only 9:52 a.m.!)
Nicole recently posted..What I love today….Kashi Go Lean

40 Shannon October 29, 2012 at 2:27 pm

spaghetti with meatballs, hot dogs with macaroni and cheese, chicken pot pie, honey chicken and comforting chicken.

41 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 29, 2012 at 3:51 pm

Meals just like that! People still love their “meat and two veg” in Ireland. I also remember a beef mince stew recipe, we’d always have it with a slice of brown bread and a glass of milk!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Mother Grain Meatless Meatballs

42 Travel Finland Blog October 29, 2012 at 4:54 pm

As a youngster I always craved for British Cod and Chips
The cod wrapped in a crisp batter and chips covered in salt and vinigar

Today in Finland it is Graavi Lax,or raw fresh salmon on black bread with lashings of butterr and Dill

43 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets October 29, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Hahah funny how our eating habits change, eh? We grow up all eating the same basic kinds of things – spaghetti, chicken pot pies, kraft dinner, lassagnas, chicken Parmesan – and now it seems the meals people cook are so much more healthy!
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..butter chicken pizza + an apology

44 Katie October 30, 2012 at 12:32 am

I love crockpot recipes that you just throw a few ingredients in and forget about it. Chicken and biscuits definitely sounds like something my dad would have made when I was little too! Can’t go wrong with a little comfort food. :)
Katie recently posted..38 Baked Potatoes for Halloween

45 Bek @ Crave October 30, 2012 at 2:39 am

Spaghetti Bolognese reminds me of past dinners!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..The days are varied

46 Emilie @ Hungry Delights October 30, 2012 at 11:52 pm

I don’t really know what ‘biscuits’ are – in Australia we use the word biscuits for what Americans refer to as cookies. Very confusing… I am guess biscuits over there are some kind of savory bread thingy?
Emilie @ Hungry Delights recently posted..WIAW – It is heating up!

47 Courtney October 31, 2012 at 7:30 am

Yup! It’s basically that…a savory type of bread :)