Golden Birthday

by Courtney on October 30, 2012

Well, I am very happy to report that, just as I suspected, Sandy did not have much of an effect on us here. In fact, our leaf pile is still fully intact.

That’s actually sort of surprising though, since it was pretty windy here most of yesterday evening. Going to bed last night was pretty noisy from the wind too, and I kept getting worried that one of our (broken) trees on the side of our house was going to come crashing down on the roof. Thankfully, they did not.

From what I’m hearing and seeing though, it sounds like she made quite an impact elsewhere, so if you were in her path, I’m sending lots of thoughts and well-wishes your way!

*****

Breakfast

Nothing like a warm bowl of pumpkin oats to start off the day.

I added lots of raisins to today’s batch, along with a generous serving of some apple peanut butter.

I few weeks ago, I was sent a couple jars of Reginald’s Homemade nut butters to try, and one of them was this Apple Sin peanut butter.

It’s pretty good, but not my favorite. There are, however, quite a few other flavors on their site that sound pretty enticing – hazelnut amaretto peanut butter??  Sign. Me. UP!

I’ve got quite a bit to do today, but before signing off this morning, I have a quick little shout out to give. Today is my Sarah’s GOLDEN birthday – she’s turning the big 3-0 on the 30th!

Fun Fact: I will ALSO have a golden birthday – 30 on January 30th, but not for another year and 3 months, so Sarah is still old. Winking smile

Juuuuuust kidding! Happy Birthday, Sarahhhhh!

Question for the Morning:

When was/is your Golden Birthday?

I always joke with Jay because he didn’t even get to celebrate his…he was 1.

1 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance October 30, 2012 at 9:04 am

My sweet 16 was my golden birthday! :)
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Raw Thai Tempeh Lettuce Wraps

2 Lindsey October 30, 2012 at 9:08 am

Mine was when I was 12, so not sure I really celebrated either! 30 is awesome golden birthday to have, calls for one big party!
Lindsey recently posted..Chilly Halloween Weekend

3 Shannon (Healthiful Balance) October 30, 2012 at 9:08 am

Glad the storn didn’t damage anything in your area! I heard it’s pretty bad in some places..

Your breakfast looks awesome! Perfect for a cold fall day. Have a great rest of the day!
Shannon (Healthiful Balance) recently posted..My Favorite Healthy Chocolate Snacks

4 Angela @ Health's Angel October 30, 2012 at 9:13 am

Haha. That’s so funny about Jay. My golden birthday will be in two years… 25 on the 25th!

I love adding raisins to oatmeal! Especially golden ones. I haven’t done that in much too long…
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Hallows’ Eve Storms

5 Natalie @ Free Range Human October 30, 2012 at 9:19 am

I was three so although I’m sure there was lots of partying going on, I can’t say I remember any of it! That Apple Sin looks like something I would really enjoy. I’ll have to check it out!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Yoga Soulmates

6 Donna October 30, 2012 at 9:23 am

12 for me! I don’t remember it at all. Sandy was not bad here either, in central Mass, just lots of wind and we got quite a bit of rain. We didn’t lose power at all but there are people in the area without it. My kids didn’t have school yesterday and my high schooler didn’t have it again today, my younger daughter had a 2 hour delay. And now the sun just came out!

7 Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers October 30, 2012 at 9:25 am

I hope you get to celebrate with her. :) Any excuse for bday cake, right??? ;)
Tiff @ Love Sweat and Beers recently posted..Packages of Fun

8 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie October 30, 2012 at 9:25 am

Happy birthday to your friend! And, umm, hazelnut amaretto peanut butter?? Yes please!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Insanity and Good Neighbors

9 Laurel October 30, 2012 at 9:37 am

my 21st birthday was my golden birthday!!

10 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness October 30, 2012 at 9:50 am

Mine was 15 and I don’t remember it at all! Wish I did! Glad to hear you’re safe from Sandy!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..My Halloween Survival Guide

11 Beks October 30, 2012 at 9:58 am

It was my 21′s birthday, back in 2006. It was uneventful. I did have my first legal drink(s), but it was pretty boring. I should’ve partied it up. Oh well. Hindsight.

12 Sarah October 30, 2012 at 10:10 am

Glad to hear you didn’t get hit either! We didn’t even lose power and I don’t think any trees are down around me. Mine was 15 on the 15th (of March). I think I had a swim meet that day… Hope you have a good day! Go out and celebrate with your friend :)
Sarah recently posted..Tuesday Tangents

13 Alycia October 30, 2012 at 10:16 am

I didn’t get to celebrate mine either, my birthday is 8/1. Boo!

14 Courtney October 30, 2012 at 10:19 am

You have the same birthday as Jay!! :)

15 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries October 30, 2012 at 10:17 am

I’m glad Miss Sandy didn’t affect you guys too much! My golden birthday was when I was 4… Long before I even knew what a “golden birthday” was. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Week 17: Will We Find Out the Sex?

16 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire October 30, 2012 at 10:20 am

You’re so lucky to have missed the storm! I can’t believe how bad it is in NYC! :(
My golden birthday will be my 31st…on January 31. You’ve got me beat by a day!
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..Switchin’ It Up

17 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom October 30, 2012 at 10:21 am

I must be lame because I have NO idea when/if I have had my golden birthday. In fact, I didn’t even know what it was….. I wonder if there is an online calculator to figure it out?
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Eggplant and Cinnamon Apple Straws

18 Courtney October 30, 2012 at 10:29 am

It’s when you turn the same age that your birthday is on. So for example, my birthday is January 30th, so when I turn 30 on the 30th, it’s my golden one :)

19 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake October 30, 2012 at 10:28 am

My golden birthday was when I was 5! lol I’m pretty sure I didn’t even know what a golden birthday was!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Cranberry Cream Cheese Baked Oatmeal

20 Amanda @ .running with spoons. October 30, 2012 at 10:30 am

Glad to hear that Sandy didn’t hit you too hard! And unfortunately, I’ve already celebrated my golden birthday and I don’t even remember it… it was back when I was 4.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... MIMM … life lessons .

21 Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl October 30, 2012 at 10:45 am

Happy Birthday Sarah! I have a golden birthday coming up in March. I can’t believe I’m going to be 30 already. It feels like I just hit my 20s lol.
Ashley @ The North Carolina Cowgirl recently posted..Perks Rushin Brook aka Gracie

22 Lauren October 30, 2012 at 10:49 am

Glad to see things are a-okay for you up in NY. We didn’t experience it quite as bad as expected either thank goodness. Have a wonderful day love!
Lauren recently posted..A Workout and a New Favorite Granola

23 chelcie @ chelcie's food files October 30, 2012 at 10:54 am

Happy birthday to your friend! My golden birthday was 15 on the 15th and I was in Paris to celebrate so it was a pretty awesome golden birthday!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Things Accomplished During Sandy

24 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl October 30, 2012 at 11:13 am

Those peanut butter flavors sound awfully intriguing!

I celebrated my golden birthday this past March. I turned 24 on the 24th. I can’t say I did much “celebrating” though. It is amazing how much more relaxed things are the older that you get. But maybe that is a good thing since my body cannot handle my college partying days like they used to be able to! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Tofu Parmesan + A Cooking Catastrophe

25 Victoria @ Vicky D's Delights October 30, 2012 at 11:20 am

My golden birthday was when i turned four! Womp, womp! However, when I graduated from high school/last turned 18, my birthday was 04/04/04. that’s pretty darn golden, if I do say so myself! :-)

26 Meghan @ After the Ivy League October 30, 2012 at 11:25 am

mmm apple peanut butter sounds delicious! I’m a big fan of that flavor combo. And I turned 7 on the 7th, don’t really remember it too well! Haha
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Catching Up and Slowing Down

27 Marielle October 30, 2012 at 11:40 am

Mine was boring, turning 9 on the 9th. Lame. And I’m going to be 30 in January this year, eek..getting old! Have a good one!
Marielle recently posted..How to Survive a New Group Ex Class

28 Jolynn October 30, 2012 at 11:41 am

Mine was the 5th so that’s no fun either. Sister is the 6th and brother is the 14th so he kind of got to celebrate.
Jolynn recently posted..A New Veggie

29 Linz @ Itz Linz October 30, 2012 at 11:41 am

12 – i didn’t celebrate mine either. boo. 30 is a great one to have!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Running with Bart Yasso & Meeting Shalane Flanagan

30 Chelsea@Ahintofhealthy October 30, 2012 at 11:56 am

Turning 18 was a golden birthday for me! My friends and family went all out :) That apple butter looks delicious!
Chelsea@Ahintofhealthy recently posted..A Marvelous Monday!

31 michelle kim October 30, 2012 at 11:57 am

Ahh, my golden birthday will be when I turn 29 (on January 29th). Now I should remember your birthday even without your blog. Actually, you have a whole birthday week, right?
Glad Sandy didn’t affect you guys too much!
michelle kim recently posted..It Was Supposed to be Sunny

32 Courtney October 30, 2012 at 11:59 am

Hahaha, I sure do!!
I already told Jay that my golden birthday will be birthday MONTH.
Yes, I am obnoxious ;-)

33 Andrea @ Vegvacious October 30, 2012 at 11:58 am

Aw — happy golden birthday! I don’t think I appreciated mine ~ I was only 6 but to me every birthday is golden — in fact, it’s my ‘birthday weekend’ this coming weekend!! :)
Andrea @ Vegvacious recently posted..Recipe Link Love from the Weekend

34 Annette@FitnessPerks October 30, 2012 at 12:04 pm

Hah. Love the 1 thing.

My husband’s was when he was 5, so he missed out too. Mine was when I was 14. It was pretty great!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Eat and Train For More Muscle

35 Khushboo October 30, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I was too young to enjoy mine- June 4th!!

36 Whitney October 30, 2012 at 12:47 pm

My golden birthday was when I turned 13 on October 13 which I also must point out was when I started my period for the first time (TMI, sorry)! Awesome birthday, ha! :)

37 Holly October 30, 2012 at 5:05 pm

Haha! This made me laugh. What a wonderful day to spend your 13th birthday ;)
Holly recently posted..8.5 Months

38 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions October 30, 2012 at 1:22 pm

Whoa…apple peanut butter? That sounds amazing! Thanks for linking to their site, too…I’m browsing around right now, and their prices look relatively reasonable as far as fancy peanut butters go. I’ll have to check them out!

My golden birthday was my 18th birthday, which I thought was pretty cool since your 18th birthday is a big deal anyway.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Tuesday (wait, what?) Things

39 Katherine October 30, 2012 at 1:30 pm

My golden birthday is this year, 29 on December 29. My sister had her golden this year on September 30 and 2 brother-in-laws have 30th Golden Birthdays, December 30 (1 this year and 1 was last year).

When we were little, my sister and I thought it was the coolest thing that we would have our Golden the same year. Okay, it is still pretty cool :)
Katherine recently posted..Things that make me smile

40 Courtney October 30, 2012 at 4:54 pm

Wow, that’s awesome!

41 kim@hungryhealthygirl October 30, 2012 at 1:35 pm

Awww….my golden b-day was 3 years and 2 months ago…. That’s okay, the 30′s are awesome, just wait, you’ll see!! So glad you’re safe and sound!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Happy Halloween Eve & a New Day a New Breakfast

42 Alysia @ Slim Sanity October 30, 2012 at 2:07 pm

Mine was 19… I don’t really remember doing anything special for it though, haha
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..is it too early?

43 Coco October 30, 2012 at 2:17 pm

My 21st was my golden birthday…it was awesome (from what I can remember of it, at least).
Coco recently posted..My First Pro Football Game!

44 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy October 30, 2012 at 2:21 pm

Mine was two years ago, when I turned 22 on the 22nd!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Live, Learn, Get New Shoes

45 Michelle (Better with Berries) October 30, 2012 at 3:26 pm

My birthday is today too – so my golden birthday is the 30th of October, but I’ve got 5 more year until then!
Michelle (Better with Berries) recently posted..Scrappy Sunday: October 2012

46 Courtney October 30, 2012 at 4:53 pm

Happy Birthday!!!!!!

47 Sherice@foodieluvsfitness October 30, 2012 at 3:36 pm

My Golden Birthday was my 12th.. I got a horse that yr.. ha never saw the connection.. it was my best birthday ever! :)

48 Michelle@Peachy Palate October 30, 2012 at 4:06 pm

Not for another 5 and half years (I just wrote hours and had to rewrite it!) Are you doing anything for Sarah’s Birthday? Glad to hear the storm didn’t cause you any damage..looks like it hit the city pretty badly.
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Back on the Barley

49 Courtney October 30, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Not doing anything today – we actually celebrated a couple times already, earlier this month and late last month (when she had her surprise) :)

50 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles October 30, 2012 at 4:15 pm

We call them champagne birthdays around here!

Mine is next year…24 on October 24th, 2013. Looking forward to it already :-)
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Bad-Weather Seafood Lasagna.

51 Courtney October 30, 2012 at 4:51 pm

Ooooo, I like that saying too ;)

52 Holly October 30, 2012 at 5:04 pm

My golden birthday is THIS year- December 26th I’ll be 26 :) Does that mean I get to request some special cupcakes from you this year?! ;)
Holly recently posted..8.5 Months

53 Courtney October 30, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Awwww YAYYY!!! Haha, girl, if I could figure out a way to ship them without them getting ruined, I’d be ALL over that for you ;)

54 Shannon October 30, 2012 at 5:23 pm

My golden birthday will be in 7 years on July 23rd. I still have a little ways to go.

55 Maria October 30, 2012 at 6:37 pm

I was one as well, but as my sister is also a first baby, it’s still rather fun.

56 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More October 30, 2012 at 9:03 pm

My golden birthday was years ago. I remember it being a BIG deal though!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..I lied…

57 Katie October 30, 2012 at 9:53 pm

I had a golden 22nd birthday, which was kind of nice. Since the fun of turning 21 was over, I still got a somewhat exciting birthday to celebrate a year after.
Katie recently posted..Tasty Tuesday: Savory Meatballs

58 Bek @ Crave October 31, 2012 at 5:02 am

Next year I’ll be 21 on the 21st! That’ll be a big birthday ;)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Too good to be true Chocolate Chip Cookies

59 Carol T. November 1, 2012 at 11:15 am

my golden birthday was several years ago. Let’s just say that I’m getting closer to retirement age….Birthdate is tomorrow 11/2

Love your blog

60 Courtney November 1, 2012 at 1:30 pm

Thanks, Carol!
Happy early birthday to youuuu :)