Recipe Archives: Apple Cider Cupcakes

by Courtney on November 2, 2012

Good Friday afternoon, everyone! Today I’m bringing an old favorite recipe out from the archives. It seems like lately, this recipe happens to be one of the most popular search engine terms leading people to my corner of blog land. With all the fuss about pumpkin these days, it’s nice to switch it up and remember that there are other fall favorites…like apples! So check out this scrumptious post dating may back to last September, and hey, maybe get your bake on this weekend?

*****

Alright. It’s time to switch things up a bit around here.

It’s no secret that one of my favorite parts about fall is the abundance of pumpkin. It gives me the perfect excuse to just go nuts with pumpkin everything…

Pumpkin Oats…

Pumpkin Black Bean Soup

Pumpkin beer

Pumpkin Coffee…

Pumpkin bagels…

Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes…

But what I often forget is that my beloved fall season is not only known for pumpkin…it’s known for apples.

Goodies like apple pie, apple crisp, apple bread, and warm apple cider are all delicious fall favorites of mine. So when I went to make my next batch of cupcakes, I decided to embrace the apples…

Apple Cider Cupcakes with Apple Cider Cream Cheese Frosting

One of the perks of these cupcakes, besides the fact that they’re just delicious, is that they are super easy to make, thanks to the use of a box mix as the base. Don’t get me wrong, homemade cupcakes are great; but sometimes, a little doctoring up of a mix does the trick just as well.

The frosting that accompanies these apple cider cupcakes also embraces the seasonal flavors of fall, thanks to the addition of apple cider and cinnamon into a cream cheese frosting base. (This frosting is slightly thinner than most, so you may want to let it sit in the fridge for a few minutes to set before frosting. Don’t add more sugar – it will get too sweet!).

To frost these cupcakes, I used a pastry bag fitted with a large round tip. I then placed the tip at the center of the cupcake and continued to squeeze the bag, without moving it, until the frosting spread out to the edges of the cupcake. Easy peasy!

As usual, these cupcakes got sent to work with Jay, and thankfully received the seal of approval from the co-workers. Apparently, however, I could have “put more effort into making them look more festive,” so my little photo setup here is my attempt at making them more festive.

Hey, sometimes, a simple look is the way to go. Then, you just let the cupcakes themselves do the talking.

To check out the full recipe CLICK HERE.

Happy weekend!! Smile

1 monique November 2, 2012 at 4:11 pm

HI COURTNEY WHAT DID YOU USE TO ICING THOSE CUPCAKES? THEY LOOK PRETTY

2 Lisa November 2, 2012 at 4:36 pm

These look amazing! I love how you are so good with decorating with icing. It’s really not pretty when I attempt to decorate cakes or cupcakes. I just leave a huge mess. Mmm…I still haven’t had apple cider at all this Fall! What is wrong with me…such a classic!
Lisa recently posted..Friday Five and Sweet Potato Chili

3 Brandi November 2, 2012 at 5:05 pm

I wish that my icing turned out like that! :) They look pretty! :)
Brandi recently posted..Happy November 1st!

4 Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty November 2, 2012 at 5:16 pm

You go girl! Those look amazing!
Melanie @ BeautifullyNutty recently posted..Fallen in Love with Fall: My Comforts

5 Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 2, 2012 at 5:51 pm

Oohh these look good!!!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Ham and Cheese Poppers

6 Amy Risner November 2, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Happy Weekend!!! I am going to make this for all the men (I am in the Navy and I am 1 of 2 females that works in my shop) I work with! They will DEVOUR them in probably .2 seconds!!!! Thanks for the yummo recipe!!! Have a fabulous weekend!

7 Sarah November 2, 2012 at 8:52 pm

Yummmm these look so good! That frosting is literally perfect!
Sarah recently posted..STX Scavenger hunt! I need your help!!!

8 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 2, 2012 at 9:46 pm

Those look A.MAZ.ING!!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // A Great Week!

9 michelle kim November 2, 2012 at 10:18 pm

Looks SO YUMMY! And the frosting looks way better than when I attempt to do it ;)
michelle kim recently posted..Into the City, We Went

10 Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny November 3, 2012 at 12:21 am

I just recently got into pumpkin, never really had it before this year, I have always been into apples in the fall. So its wonderful to see this type of thing!
Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny recently posted..November’s Challenge – Its a GO!

11 Tara Deal | Treble in the Kitchen November 3, 2012 at 6:06 am

Yum!! I made some apple cider muffins and they were so tasty…I bet these cupcakes are a delicious treat!

12 char eats greens November 3, 2012 at 6:59 am

I loooooooove how you put the icing on!! These look so good. I think I could probably eat about 3 right now…you can judge.
char eats greens recently posted..thursday things in new november

13 Jeanine November 3, 2012 at 7:53 am

Those look amazing!!!!

14 Bek @ Crave November 3, 2012 at 5:37 pm

hahha gosh, those workers are picky! :P
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Nandos

15 Amanda B. November 4, 2012 at 8:05 pm

Oh man! I made these shortly after you originally posted them and they are now part of the regular rotation! So good.
Amanda B. recently posted..Crafty Weekend at Sarah’s!

16 Emilie @ Hungry Delights November 5, 2012 at 10:19 pm

Love the icing! It looks so shiny and perfect :)
Emilie @ Hungry Delights recently posted..WIAW – It is heating up!