New Meal, New Workout

by Courtney on November 6, 2012

I went in to last night’s dinner thinking that it would be one of those meals that I make for Jay because I know he’ll love it and I won’t mind eating it…but I’m thinking that I almost enjoyed this meal more than he did.

We still had a fairly good amount of steak left over from last week, so I decided that it might be fun to use it to try making some homemade Philly cheesesteaks.

Jay sliced the meat up nice and thin while I sautéed some peppers and onions; once the meat and veggies were cooked and heated through, I layered them on top of a couple sub rolls I picked up from the store, and topped them with a couple thin slices of provolone cheese.

I then placed them under the broiler in the oven just long enough to let the buns get toasty and cheese melted. While they were finishing up, Jay also wound up throwing some skillet potatoes together last minute, which tasted fantastic.

But, really, the cheesesteak was the winner of last night’s dinner. It was SO good and I’m so glad I attempted a new meal!

We spent the rest of our evening watching our two favorite Monday night shows (How I Met Your Mother & The Voice), and for my fellow HIMYM fans…who the heck is Ted going to end up with?!?! It’s driving me crazy!

*****

Workout

For the first time in who knows how long, I actually decided to start my morning with a workout, rather than wait until later in the day. I did some new walking treadmill intervals, which wound up looking like this:

45 minute walking treadmill intervals

I know that for some, walking at 5.0 is unheard of, so just use those intervals as your fastest speed walk you can manage and adjust from there.

These were great and I’ll definitely be doing them again soon. They kept me moving and had the glutes burning.

Breakfast

I had an empty PB jar waiting for me today…noooo question on breakfast!

I filled my almost-empty PB jar with a batch of Pumpkin Custard Oats (minus the banana) and topped it with a little sprinkle of some Love Grown Foods cranberry pecan granola.

Speaking of Love Grown Foods…

Remember about a month ago when I told you that they’re going to be launching a brand new product?? Well, here’s a little sneak peek at the new packaging…

It’s going to be revealed later this month on Instagram, so follow the hashtag #Nov30LOVE to find out the big news on November 30th! Winking smile

I’m looking forward to this afternoon…I’m heading out to VOTE (you should too!) and then I have a lunch date with mom. Great way to spend an afternoon, if you ask me!

Question for the Morning:

What’s the last meal you made/had that surprised you for the better?

1 alyssa - life a la wife November 6, 2012 at 9:14 am

Philly Cheesesteaks while the eagles were playing – How fitting!
alyssa – life a la wife recently posted..Banana Pancakes with Dark Chocolate & Blueberries

2 Kim @ The Family Practice November 6, 2012 at 9:24 am

Happy voting!
I think your workout looks tricky – fast walking is way harder than letting yourself break into a run. We are currently treadmill-less but I’ll see if I can pace myself on the trail like this. Will be tough!
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Dont Put Me in Your Stupid Box

3 Khushboo November 6, 2012 at 9:25 am

Dinner looks great! Tonight’s dinner surprised me: scrambled eggs..I forgot how much I enjoy it!
Khushboo recently posted..Worth a shot

4 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 6, 2012 at 9:31 am

You make cheesesteaks sound appealing even at 7:30 in the morning, and I’m a sweet breakfast kind of girl! And speaking of breakfast, your coffee mug is too cute :)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... exactly who i’m supposed to be .

5 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries November 6, 2012 at 9:32 am

I love philly cheesesteaks but rarely eat them because they can be so ungodly healthy, but your version sounds like it’s more on the healthier side. Needless to say, they will be making an appearance in our kitchen soon. Cody will love me for them too. ;)

I always love a new walking treadmill workout! Pinned!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Week 18: Maternity Clothes

6 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 6, 2012 at 9:38 am

That Philly looks great! I’m a huge fan of cheesesteaks. I have no idea who Ted is going to end up with-it seems all over the place. Do you think this season is getting a little silly? It’s almost like they’re running out of material.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..It’s Never Too Early

7 Brandi November 6, 2012 at 10:04 am

Dinner looks delicious! I made a chicken pot pie the other day from scratch and it actually tasted really good! :) I kind of surprised myself!
Brandi recently posted..No Makeup

8 Shannon November 6, 2012 at 10:14 am

I can’t really think of a meal that I had recently that surprised me for the better. We haven’t really tried anything new recently.

9 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie November 6, 2012 at 10:19 am

Uggh last night’s HIMYM really bothered me. I mean, it’s not Robin so what is going on???
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Movie and Book Reviews Galore and Amazing Mexican Chicken

10 Courtney November 6, 2012 at 11:17 am

I know, right?!? It’s starting to get frustrating!

11 Annette@FitnessPerks November 6, 2012 at 11:04 am

I bet my husband would love that dinner! Great idea, girl :)

12 michelle kim November 6, 2012 at 11:54 am

I made some kind of random pasta bake thing (there isn’t really a name… but I guess it’s somewhat like a mac’n’cheese/frittata with pesto). It had roasted cauliflower, mushrooms, pasta, two different cheeses, some eggs (just for more protein) and then pesto at the end. Surprisingly amazing!
Those caramelized onions and the skillet potatoes look awesome!
michelle kim recently posted..Still Phase 1 and Run to Rescue

13 Chelsea@Ahintofhealthy November 6, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Those sandwiches look super yummy! I am excited for November 30th!

14 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 6, 2012 at 12:15 pm

Looks like a fantastic dinner! I should make philly cheesesteaks sometime…my steak-loving boyfriend would go nuts over it!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..freEDom: Why I Stopped Counting Calories (Again).

15 Stephanie @ Food Fit 4 Real November 6, 2012 at 12:21 pm

I had an egg sandwich for lunch on Sunday and it was FAB-U-LOUS! Not sure why but it hit the spot.
Stephanie @ Food Fit 4 Real recently posted..Color In Motion 5K – Giveaway!

16 Raney @ Raney Days November 6, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I recently made a new butternut squash pasta recipe but instead of using whole wheat pasta, I substituted Ezekiel pasta instead. The texture did seem a little bit weird at first, but totally got used to is and it was so delicious! Probably helped that a squash was involved because I’m prettttty obsessed with them! Those sandwhiches look amazing though, definitely have to try them out!
Raney @ Raney Days recently posted..autumn pumpkin centrepiece

17 Rachel November 6, 2012 at 12:51 pm

My sister is a fast walker too haha I’m usually running to catch up with her haha if I lived near you I’d totally give you my old PB jars haha for some reason, I just don’t like eating my oats out of the jar lol I keep throwing them out too haha
Rachel recently posted..And so it’s set…

18 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! November 6, 2012 at 12:57 pm

that is so similar to the way we make cheesesteaks! pretty delish huh?! :)
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..The Thing I Have Been Reluctant To Tell You…

19 Meghan @ After the Ivy League November 6, 2012 at 1:20 pm

I hardly ever crave red meat, but somehow you’ve made me want nothing more than a philly cheesesteak! Gotta cook up some steak soon (or maybe eat out, I’m terrible at cooking steak! haha)
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Gluten Free Pumpkin Pie Muffins

20 Tara November 6, 2012 at 1:22 pm

mmm I haven’t had oats in a jar in a while and nothing sounds better right now!! Delish!

21 kim@hungryhealthygirl November 6, 2012 at 1:27 pm

Dinner looks fabulous and I’m not much of a steak person! Pinned the workout. I’m liking what I see on the lovegrown package!!!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Favorite Finds Lately & a new GREEN breakfast

22 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 6, 2012 at 2:49 pm

I love when meals end up being incredible when you’re least expecting it! I made grilled eggplant and roasted green bean thai coconut and peanut dish with short grain brown basmati rice…I had leftovers to use up and it ended up being amazing! Happy Tuesday!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Feeling Festive

23 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 6, 2012 at 3:54 pm

Yum, I love cheesesteaks!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Weekend Recap: 11/3-11/4

24 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 6, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Oh man, those skillet potatoes look amazing!! I am probably more partial to those than the sandwiches since I am a vegetarian! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Cheater Vegetable Stir-Fry

25 Emilie @ Hungry Delights November 6, 2012 at 5:24 pm

My fiance would love me a whole ton more I am sure if I made those skillet potatoes for him daily haha
Emilie @ Hungry Delights recently posted..Last Chance Survey

26 Bek @ Crave November 7, 2012 at 5:51 am

The last meal I made that surprised me was my cookie recipe!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..The ‘Ideal’ Group Fitness Participant

27 Megan November 7, 2012 at 7:25 am

I just ordered my new treadmill, I was going with the Nordictrack but I ended up getting a better deal and quicker shipping on the Proform 2500, it comes with IFIT Live and I get it next week….Yeah!!