A Look Into the Younger Years of Courtney

by Courtney on November 7, 2012

You ready for some fun?!

As I mentioned last night, I spent some time yesterday afternoon over at my parents’ house. Over the weekend, my brother moved out into an apartment, which meant that he was no longer living in my old childhood bedroom (he took it once I moved out because it was bigger and better, mwahaha). My parents wasted no time in getting to work on cleaning out the rest of the room, and oddly enough, came across a bunch of stuff that was mine.

Apparently, I missed quite a bit when I left?!

I was getting a kick out of looking through everything, so I thought you guys might too.

As soon as I came across my box of lanyards and beads, I immediately wanted to start making friendship bracelets again. Who else jumped on that bandwagon back in the day?

That was such a fun hobby. Don’t be surprised if I’m making new ones by the end of the week.

One thing I was surprised to come across…three pairs of almost brand new shoes?!

The pairs in the middle and on the right were actually shoes that I wore when I was in the Miss USA pageants years ago, so they aren’t really a big deal since I have no idea when I’d wear them again.

But THESE?! How the heck could I leave these behind?

My only guess, if memory serves me correctly, is that they’re extremely uncomfortable. That’d be a bummer.

Another awesome find was this Tignanello set…brand new, never used wallet, coin purse, and mini clutch. It was like CHRISTMAS!

I’ve actually been in the market for a new clutch too, so this was a fantastic find.

There were also a few more random finds: elementary school books I wrote and an Ernie doll (Ernie is the jam. I have over a dozen different dolls of him…somewhere).

IMG_0451IMG_0440

My wedding jacket (loooooove this thing).

A children’s book I wrote and illustrated while in college.

This was probably one of my proudest projects during my whole college career.

A bunch of my old CD’s…with everything ranging from Mariah Carey, to Eve6, to Ruff Ryders. I loved it all…or I just tried to fit in with everything.

My old modeling portfolio, with plenty of photos that totally made me laugh.

Random newspaper articles I was in, either for bowling or modeling.

Including this one, which cracks. me. up. One time, and one time only, I convinced Jay to do a few photos with me for an article. Everyone gave him SO much slack for it, and my dad had a little fun “decorating” the paper for him. It was so funny…and I’m sure once he reads this I’m going to hear about it. Winking smile

And then, there’s a look into the ‘ol high school years.

My varsity and JV letters for volleyball, softball, and bowling.

Scrapbook photos…sophomore year volleyball and a winter dance (yikes, that makes me cringe! haha)

IMG_0448IMG_0455

Prom photos…Jay’s junior prom on the left, my senior prom on the right.

And some senior yearbook photos.

Gosh, it can be so fun to look back, can’t it? I still can’t believe it’s been 10 years since I graduated from high school. That is just crazy to me. I still have all of this stuff sitting in the trunk of my car, so once I get that out later today, I’m sure I’ll be looking through it all again…and then I have to find a place to put it all. Wish me luck.

*****

Breakfast this morning was quick and easy.

Pumpkin spice English muffin with peanut butter, pumpkin butter, banana slices, and chia seeds.

Never gets old!

Questions for the Morning:

• How long ago did you graduate from high school?
  • If you could go back to high school for a week, would you do it?

1 Lindsey November 7, 2012 at 8:58 am

2002! And heck yes! I loved high school :)
Lindsey recently posted..I’m Alive & A Survey

2 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 7, 2012 at 9:02 am

What great finds, Courtney! It’s great to stumble upon old photos, yearbooks, and newspaper articles–talk about a blast from the past. I graduated high school in 2008, which means my five-year reunion is coming up soon. Crazy! Although I had a great HS experience, I wouldn’t want to go back. Each year keeps getting better and better! :)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Hey, You Never Know

3 Megan S. November 7, 2012 at 9:03 am

Haha I had just mentioned on your last post that I’d hoped that box was full of string for friendship bracelets! Now that I see it’s full I’m super jealous!! Make some :)
Megan S. recently posted..Hello world!

4 Elaine November 7, 2012 at 9:04 am

I lovedddd friendship bracelets! Makes me want to go back and find my box full of string and beads. :)
Elaine recently posted..Buffalo Chicken Chili

5 Alyssa @ Life of bLyss November 7, 2012 at 9:05 am

oh my gosh, our friendship bracelet making kits are MATCHING.
Alyssa @ Life of bLyss recently posted..To Get You Through Election Day

6 Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat November 7, 2012 at 9:09 am

Ahh I love looking back through old stuff… The prom photos and yearbooks get me every time!! I love that you were a bowling champion?! And the old modeling photos are awesome…I think hairstyles are often the best part of photos to look back on!
Stephanie @itrainthereforeieat recently posted..Chia Seeds: Super Food or Super Trend?

7 Danielle @ Itsaharleyyylife November 7, 2012 at 9:14 am

i loveee looking back at that stuff! You look so different in your modeling pictures! It’s awesome you and Jay have been together for so long. What a great way to look back and see how far you have come! (:

8 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life November 7, 2012 at 9:15 am

I love to look back through my room at my parents’ and reminisce! I would definitely do high school again, but this time I would be myself 100%, not get so caught up in teen drama, and enjoy every moment because it really does go by so fast!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..WIAW: Meal Ideas at my Fingertips

9 Blog is the New Black November 7, 2012 at 9:19 am

Freakin’ hilarious…. Courtney’s Candy Corner? What is that story about! ;)
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Mussels Marinara {Mussels with Tomato and Basil over Linguine}

10 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Hahaha…my sweet tooth started young ;)

11 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 7, 2012 at 9:24 am

I totally made those bracelets too! I graduated in ’02, and I would go back for a week but only if it was softball season ;) Preferably playoffs!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..You Can Change The World!

12 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries November 7, 2012 at 9:36 am

I was right about the friendship bracelets!! :) Oh, man! Now I want to make one!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..You’re Not Immune to Skin Cancer.

13 Tara November 7, 2012 at 9:42 am

I could get lost for hours looking at old things that bring bak memories!! Love it!

14 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope November 7, 2012 at 9:53 am

I’ve been out of high school for 10 years too! Speaking of which my reunion is in 3 weeks! Yikes! No, I definitely wouldn’t want to go back to high school. I’m glad to be out of there. I love looking back at old memories :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Relaxation & Movie Filled Weekend!…

15 Megan November 7, 2012 at 9:56 am

I love all the old high school dance photos! I’m pretty sure mine are all still packed away at my parents house, too and I’m perfectly ok with them staying there. :)

I graduated high school in 2002. Can’t believe it’s been 10 years! And no, I don’t think I’d want to go back. After all, I didn’t even make it back for the reunion.
Megan recently posted..Garlic and Pesto Salmon

16 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie November 7, 2012 at 10:10 am

Looking back is always soo fun! I did that this weekend too at my grandma’s! I had so many of those friendship bracelet kits — those should be a thing again :)
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Tangent Tuesday – Election Night Addition

17 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling November 7, 2012 at 10:27 am

I graduated from high school in 2011, but sometimes I wish I could go back just for a day. But then I remember how much I hated parts of it, and am thankful I am in college now ;)

18 Kathryn November 7, 2012 at 10:33 am

I graduated in 2003, have my 10 year next year (gah, hard to imagine). Would I go back to high school if I had the chance for a week? Only to see some of my favorite teachers, otherwise, I keep in contact with the friends from high school I want to, and have no other interest in high school anymore, lol.

19 Rachel November 7, 2012 at 10:38 am

awww I love looking back at old High School stuff! I was so awkward back then hahaha love it ;)
Rachel recently posted..Creamy Apple Oat Bran + Frost Bite

20 michelle kim November 7, 2012 at 10:52 am

It’s been about 6.5 years since I graduated high school. I love looking back (and it was fun looking at your high school years!).
I tooooootally got into the friendship bracelet-making… but mine was not nearly as fancy as yours!
michelle kim recently posted..Still Phase 1 and Run to Rescue

21 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! November 7, 2012 at 11:02 am

the only thing i miss about high school is no responsibilities! :)
I graduated in 06′ – but i remember high school like it was yesterday. Or the lack of me going (I skipped school…. A LOT!)
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..The Thing I Have Been Reluctant To Tell You…

22 Amanda November 7, 2012 at 11:10 am

I swear I think you look just like Minka Kelly! Especially in some of your old pictures!

23 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 2:58 pm

Haha, I love it when you say that! I don’t totally see it, but I’ll still take the comparison any day ;)

24 Khushboo November 7, 2012 at 11:24 am

This is too fun! Reminiscing always me smile :-)
Khushboo recently posted..Weight Loss Wednesday: Keepin’ it real…

25 Melissa @TryingtoHeal November 7, 2012 at 11:27 am

I was just doing the same thing last week when I got a bunch of emails about my 10 year HS reunion! Uggh…where did the time go? It amazes me how much younger we looked in photos from those years!
Melissa @TryingtoHeal recently posted..Birding Thursday: Grass Green Tanager

26 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire November 7, 2012 at 11:45 am

As much as I loved high school, I don’t think I would ever want to go back! It’s so cute that you and Jay have been together for SO long-that’s rare these days!
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..Happy Birthday, Chris!

27 Annie November 7, 2012 at 11:46 am

oooh were you blonde back then?

I love looking at old high school things but mostly when I do, I cringe at letters my friends and I used to write each other! Being best friends for life seemed a very important statement to make!

28 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Haha, I sure was. Washed my face out somethin’ fierce! ;) lol

29 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness November 7, 2012 at 11:54 am

What a fun post! Now I want to go clean out my old closets and see what I can find! I used to have a ton of CD’s! Nsync and britney spears were at the top of my list for music ;)
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

30 Natalia Baage-Lord November 7, 2012 at 11:55 am

Oh my goodness! Shoes, a clutch, etc. Wow! That is an awesome surprise! :) Enjoy!
Thanks for sharing all your old stuff. The children’s book was especially sweet to look at.
And it seems like you carried your bubbly-ness from high school to the current day! :)

31 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Awww, thanks Natalia! :-D

32 Steph @ StephSnacks November 7, 2012 at 11:59 am

I absolutely love going through pictures/yearbooks/momento’s from high school. They make me laugh — I graduated high school six and a half years ago. Freakin’ scary.
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..WIAW

33 Sarah November 7, 2012 at 12:04 pm

THis is too cute! Modeling and bowling… What a funy combination! I love going home and looking through my old things. Total trip down memory lane! I went through the friendship bracelet phase too. That lasted about a week for me. Have a wonderful Wednesday :)
Sarah recently posted..WIAW: Healthified Mac and Cheesy

34 Alysha @ She's on the Run November 7, 2012 at 12:20 pm

A bowling model? That is the best combo ever :) I loved high school. I graduated in 2004. It honestly seems like just yesterday.
Alysha @ She’s on the Run recently posted..Butternut Squash and Goat Cheese Gnocchi

35 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 2:55 pm

LOL! Now that you mention it, that is pretty cool ;)

36 Alicia Orozco @NeverEverBeenSkinny November 7, 2012 at 12:48 pm

SO many memories!
Alicia Orozco @NeverEverBeenSkinny recently posted..#EatAtHomeChallenge – Day 2

37 Annette@FitnessPerks November 7, 2012 at 12:48 pm

I love looking back at stuff like this! I had no idea you modeled?! How cool!

I graduated in 03 baby
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Grill On! MorningStar Veggie Burgers + GIVEAWAY

38 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance November 7, 2012 at 1:06 pm

Oh girl, you’re talking to the friendship bracelet QUEEN right here! I used to bring in-progress bracelets everywhere I went– including school. Come to think of it I should’ve stuck with it a bit longer– I could’ve made some mulah ;)
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..WIAW: Election Day Eats

39 Taryn November 7, 2012 at 1:22 pm

I graduated from high school in 2006 and I would not go back. I absolutely hated high school and even graduated a semester early just to get out of there. I would go back to Jr. High though. 7-8th grades is where it’s at!!

And now in my final year of law school I still make friendship bracelets. Although, I think I may need to lose my attachment to them. I’m sure my clients will put more faith in me when my wrists aren’t covered with frayed rainbow thread and beads :p

40 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 2:54 pm

That. Is. AWESOME. :)

41 Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat November 7, 2012 at 1:46 pm

I would love to go back to high school for a week! I would really enjoying playing on my old high school soccer team again!
Carrie @ Lift Eat Repeat recently posted..Tough Mudder 2012 Recap

42 Shannon November 7, 2012 at 1:58 pm

1. I’m actually graduating high school next May.
2. I’m going to answer this question as if I want to add an extra week to my high school experience, and I’m going to have to say NO. I like where I am, but half of my class doesn’t treat me with respect even though I’m nice to everyone. I can’t wait to never see the majority of the people ever again-except for the little amount of friends that I have, and some days I feel like I don’t have any at all.

43 kim@hungryhealthygirl November 7, 2012 at 2:02 pm

I was totally just thinking about friendship bracelets the other day! I had the same beading container…haha! I graduated 15 years age….yikes, but it almost seems like yesterday. It was fun, but no way am I going back.
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..What I ate Wednesday!!

44 erica November 7, 2012 at 2:40 pm

it has been 14 years since i graduated HS….
my mom recently found a bunch of stuff i left when i moved out…i may be taking atrip down memory lane soon myself!
erica recently posted..celebrations

45 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 7, 2012 at 2:47 pm

I want to see more old photos! They seriously do not look like you at all! You should share some of your pageant photos!!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A clumsy couple of days

46 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 2:54 pm

Haha, I’ll have to see what else I can come up with. I definitely did look a bit different – the blond hair helped with that ;)

47 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 7, 2012 at 5:14 pm

The colour you have now really suits you! Hard to tell from one photo, but you do really look so different!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A clumsy couple of days

48 Lindsey November 7, 2012 at 2:50 pm

Courtney –

I found your blog about two weeks ago and have checked in daily ever since. I love your recipes, workouts and awesome positive attitude. I have been wondering lately…. What is the deal with Chia Seeds? I have never eaten them before. Thanks!!

49 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 2:53 pm

Hey Lindsey!

Chia seeds don’t have much of any flavor to them, but they do have plenty of nutritional benefits! They’re a good source of fiber, protein, and essential fatty acids (omega-3s). They also contain potassium, calcium, iron, phosphorus, and manganese, and have a high concentration of antioxidants.
Hope that helps! Thanks for checking in! :)

50 Lindsey November 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm

Thanks Courtney! That totally helps! I just added them to my grocery list, can’t wait to try them out.

51 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions November 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Ahhhhh all that friendship bracelet string!! Friendship bracelets are my JAM. I spent two summers + one week as a camp counselor, and I’d churn out friendship bracelets like it was my job (which I guess it kind of was, really, especially when I was making them for campers). I always mean to work on bracelets when I’m not at camp, but I have a hard time working up the motivation to make one for some reason or another.

I graduated from high school in 2008, which doesn’t seem that awful until I realize that it’s been FIVE YEARS since I was a senior. And then I look at old high school pictures and think I look soooo young (or rather, I look soooo old now. Haha). Growing up is the weirdest.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..I Miss You College, Oh Yes I Do

52 Trisha November 7, 2012 at 3:19 pm

This post is so much fun. I graduated in 2002 & the remnants of those days back at my parents house look pretty similar to yours, though I’m pretty sure any shoes I left behind have been snatched up by my mom by now. :) I actually have my high school yearbooks here with me & love to browse through them every once in a while. Even more embarassing than the photos are the things people wrote to me! So many inside jokes that I’m thankful my parents had no clue about!!
Trisha recently posted..Welcome to My Office

53 Courtney F November 7, 2012 at 3:53 pm

Oh my stars, it was 12 1/2 years ago! Oh geez, that will bring ya down a notch! Loved the trip back in time!
Courtney F recently posted..A good day in the books!

54 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 7, 2012 at 3:56 pm

Love this! So fun (and sometimes embarassing!) to look back at old stuff! I graduated in 2004, but I wouldn’t go back to high school! I TEACH high school, so I think I still get my fair share of the experience.
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Product Review: SOYJOY Bars

55 Melissa November 7, 2012 at 3:57 pm

Were you ever in travel league for bowling on Sunday mornings around the Capital District? I did it for a couple of years and was also on Ballston Spa’s bowling team, lol. Small world. ;) Hope you’re doing well girlie.
Melissa recently posted..The best way to spend a Sunday morning

56 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 4:03 pm

Haha, no way, really? I never did the travel league, but I did bowl for Columbia for 5 years! :)

57 Melissa November 7, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Yeah this is so weird but cool lol. Did you know an Angie Downey? I think that was her name…I bowled against her a lot. On my Saturday league I bowled at Burnt Hills for years then BSpa then back to Burnt Hills. My dad still keeps tabs on high school bowling haha!

58 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 8:53 pm

Yeah we were on the same team, haha

59 Jaclyn November 7, 2012 at 4:03 pm

My mom always said *I think as motivation, ha* that the best part of cleaning was finding gems *like those!* Great finds, ha!

When is your 10 year reunion, or has it already happened? Are you./did you go??

60 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 4:04 pm

It’s actually later this month, but I’m not able to make it.

61 Melissa November 7, 2012 at 8:47 pm

Mine was the same day as my 50 mile race on October 6 so I missed it. They had it at the Saratoga city tavern. I feel like you don’t even need a reunion w Facebook now lol. I still cannot believe it’s been 10 years though!

62 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 7, 2012 at 6:29 pm

I love how you were a bowler and a model – that is an awesome/slightly hilarious combination.

I have mixed feelings about high school…some elements of it were awesome, some weren’t. (I graduated in 2007). I do miss field hockey though! I was the captain my final year and I had a fabulous time playing.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW #9–Weird, But Tasty.

63 Kelsey November 7, 2012 at 8:28 pm

This was so much fun to read! I have the same Ernie doll… yep, he is the bomb!! I think you HAVE to do a post about your modeling and pageant career, now :)

64 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 8:31 pm

Hahaha it’s nonexistent now…and I’m a-okay with that! ;)

65 pat November 7, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I think a post all about Ernie would be fantastic…..I might be able to come up with a couple you could use for pictures!!!

66 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 9:08 pm

LOL now that would be pretty funny!

67 Naomi November 8, 2012 at 12:23 am

I graduated in 2009, and I will be graduating from college in May! Ahhh! And yes, I think I would go back to high school for a year. I would love to tell my high school self that some of the things I was so focused on back in the day truly won’t matter a few years down the road.

68 Bek @ Crave November 8, 2012 at 1:10 am

Haha thanks for taking us back through your past- it’s fun to reminisce and remember the good old days!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..A little less sweet

69 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 8, 2012 at 8:57 am

I went through this a bit when I moved back home a couple months ago. Cleaning out some stuff in my closet definitely brought me back. And the pictures from a fashion show I did were just HILARIOUS – I was so awkward. ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Boredom Buster Workout

70 Katie @ A Frizzy Life November 8, 2012 at 9:21 pm

I loooove when I finally take time to go through some old things because I always end up stumbling upon so many things that bring me back and make me smile!

And I have to say I’m so impressed by how organized your friendship bracelet string is! Mine never looked that neat.

71 Meredith @ DareYouTo November 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm

Ahhh I still have my string box, too! Made SO many friendship bracelets, and every time I stumble upon the box, I think, “hey, I should put these to good use!” Maybe I should finally follow through! (Or just give it away haha one or the other)
Meredith @ DareYouTo recently posted..Floss

72 Holly November 9, 2012 at 4:47 pm

I’m a little late to the party, this week was a pretty busy week ;) But I have to say, your high school classmates had it correct- you are the BEST for the category of ‘Most Likely to Brighten Your Day.’ I swear you have the best personality…and this is all from knowing you online :) You always make me smile when I read your posts, and they brighten up my day!
Holly recently posted..8.5 Months

73 Courtney November 9, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Awww, thanks girl!
Or should I say…new mommy to an ADORABLE little girl! :)

74 EG Gal November 13, 2012 at 8:03 am

Courtney – do you remember where you got your wedding jacket from? I’m getting married in a few weeks and am looking for something similiar. Thanks!

75 Courtney November 13, 2012 at 8:03 am