Just That Much Closer

Guess what got a little use today?!

This morning, I decided to take a break from the treadmill and roll out the ‘ol yoga mat. I searched around on my On Demand channel to see what was available. Unfortunately, one of my favorites from before isn’t on there anymore, but I did find a different one that was great. About 45 minutes of pilates/ballet moves which was nice, gentle, but able to work up a sweat.

Around 1pm I had a conference call to hop on to, which worked out perfectly timing wise. I had just finished up a batch of my Pumpkin Black Bean Soup, so I let that simmer while the call was going on.

I also made the photo black and white because, well, a big batch of that stuff just never looks all that appetizing in the big pot. Winking smile

I had to make a couple slight adjustments to the original recipe this time around – I didn’t have any red wine, so I used white. I also accidentally bought chicken broth instead of vegetable, but both substitutions turned out great!

About 3/4 of the way through the call, I couldn’t hold off any longer so I grabbed a bowl. I also topped my soup bowl with a fun little purchase I discovered the other day…

Mini saltine crackers! Not sure how I never spotted these before but I love them…perfect for soup!

And for snacking on well after your bowl of soup is gone. Winking smile

After l finished up with lunch and my call, I snacked on an apple and worked on putting away all of the Halloween decorations.

Apple is gone, decorations are put away…and we’re just that much closer to being about to put out the Christmas decorations(!!).

Yep, I said it. Christmas decorations. I’m eagerly anticipating Thanksgiving and I’m trying so hard not to rush the holidays, but these darn Christmas commercials I’m seeing and hearing are just getting me excited! I mean, they’re already playing the Hershey Kisses Bells commercial?!

Question for the Afternoon:

For those who celebrate Christmas, how long does it take for you to start “getting festive” (i.e., decorating, listening to music, etc.)?

For me, it’s usually Black Friday. That’s the day I start blasting my Christmas tunes and watch Elf while putting up the Christmas tree (just like I’ve done the past two years).

Comments

1. Chelsea @ Cardio and Cocktails says

Thanksgiving usually does it for me because of all the family that gets together and we usually do winter activities (ice skating, etc). This year my sister is in London so when she gets back for Christmas, we will be in full blown celebration mode!
    Chelsea @ Cardio and Cocktails recently posted..Pumping Up Lunch

In college I would *occasionally* allow myself to start celebrating Christmas slightly before Thanksgiving, but only because after Thanksgiving there would usually only be two weeks or so left in the semester and then we all went home for break. Generally, though, I am a hard and fast “Christmas MAY NOT start until I’ve digested my Thanksgiving dinner” sort of person. I just don’t want to get Christmas-ed out, you know? That would be so sad.
    Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..I Miss You College, Oh Yes I Do

That soup looks delicious and those mini saltine crackers are just too darn cute! 😉

I am almost always beyond ready to decorate for Xmas as soon as Thanksgiving is over. If I am not already in the Xmas spirit, celebrating Thanksgiving and going shopping on Black Friday really put me in the mood. Bring on the Christmas music!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Sweet Potato Dal

Oh, I need to try out that soup. I’ve had soup basically every night this week. Good job on getting some yoga in, I stretched today which was pretty unusual! Yah, I’m pumped for Christmas, we’re decorating this weekend! I can’t wait to bust out the tunes already.
    Lisa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

AH! Those little saltines are so cute! And that soup sounds delicious. I honestly could start celebrating (decorations, music, etc.) right now if my family and friends were into it! All of the commercials that are on already are making me so excited! :-) Oh, and I LOVE the movie Elf, too!
    Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..WIAW + National Theatre Recap

I’m not going to lie, I’ve listended to a Christmas station on Pandora the past 2 days at work. :) I know it’s far too early and I’m not giving Thanksgiving it’s due by already jumping to Christmas but I just can’t help it! I’m going to try and hold off on getting out the decorations until the weekend after Thanksgiving though, we’ll see if I make it.
    Megan recently posted..Garlic and Pesto Salmon

Sadly I haven’t had any Christmas festivities until right before Christmas for the past 2 years, Christmas is just low on my priorities list during law school finals! And this year my last final is on Dec 22nd… So rude. I’m hoping to get into the spirit though this year, it’s so sad when Dec 26th comes and I realize I had a week or less to enjoy the season!
    Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Pumpkin Craziness

8. Courtney says

I was looking at that soup saying, “Oh, wow. Those look like little, mini saltines.” Lo and behold, they are. They look so stinkin’ cute! Also, I always like seeing your cute holiday/seasonal decorations. =)

Love your tradition of watching elf on black friday! It’s literally my favorite christmas movie and it never fails to put me in the christmas spirit! Those mini saltine crackers are so addicting to sit and snack on all afternoon. Definitely guilty of doing that on more than one occasion :)
    Sarah recently posted..WIAW: Healthified Mac and Cheesy

First off, I’m new to your blog (been reading about a week or two now), so hello!

I’m a holiday nut. This weekend I put on Elf while I did some cleaning… so yeah, that’s already done. I don’t put up decorations until black Friday either, but I struggle not to! The holidays aren’t that stressful for me, so I like them to be around as long as I can. In fact, each summer I miss Christmas and I end up watching some holiday movies… yep. I’m insane………… anyway, I can’t wait to start seeing Christmas stuff up on the blogs I read! I love seeing others’ decorations. So if you wanna break out the holiday mugs or something, at least one of your readers will enjoy it this soon :)
    Jennifer L recently posted..Welcome :)

I’m usually the Christmas decoration queen. However, we just moved to Australia 2 months ago from the Great White North, so Christmas is going to be soooo strange this year! December is one of the hottest months here…
    Nothing like singing Jingle Bells with flip flops on.

12. Megan says

Hey, I wanted to share with you, One of my friends works at Hottie Pilates in Austin and they have some videos on Youtube that you could check out for something different…

I really have to get back into yoga/pilates again. I have been doing lots of weights and cardio, but I need to change it up. Thank you for motivating me to take my workouts in that direction. :)

We love Christmas around here, so we are actually starting to decorate already. Pretty much as soon as Halloween is over we take down those decorations and begin putting up Christmas ones.
    Renee @ Fit For Motherhood recently posted..Kickboxing at Home

hm… my family is too small and not really into the whole Christmas holiday thing… kinda sad. I remember when I was younger I loved opening up presents but now… it’s just… a time to relax I guess. But reading your excitement makes me excited regardless 😀
    Shannon recently posted..Focus on one thing at a time.