Just That Much Closer

by Courtney on November 7, 2012

Guess what got a little use today?!

This morning, I decided to take a break from the treadmill and roll out the ‘ol yoga mat. I searched around on my On Demand channel to see what was available. Unfortunately, one of my favorites from before isn’t on there anymore, but I did find a different one that was great. About 45 minutes of pilates/ballet moves which was nice, gentle, but able to work up a sweat.

Around 1pm I had a conference call to hop on to, which worked out perfectly timing wise. I had just finished up a batch of my Pumpkin Black Bean Soup, so I let that simmer while the call was going on.

I also made the photo black and white because, well, a big batch of that stuff just never looks all that appetizing in the big pot. Winking smile

I had to make a couple slight adjustments to the original recipe this time around – I didn’t have any red wine, so I used white. I also accidentally bought chicken broth instead of vegetable, but both substitutions turned out great!

About 3/4 of the way through the call, I couldn’t hold off any longer so I grabbed a bowl. I also topped my soup bowl with a fun little purchase I discovered the other day…

Mini saltine crackers! Not sure how I never spotted these before but I love them…perfect for soup!

And for snacking on well after your bowl of soup is gone. Winking smile

After l finished up with lunch and my call, I snacked on an apple and worked on putting away all of the Halloween decorations.

Apple is gone, decorations are put away…and we’re just that much closer to being about to put out the Christmas decorations(!!).

Yep, I said it. Christmas decorations. I’m eagerly anticipating Thanksgiving and I’m trying so hard not to rush the holidays, but these darn Christmas commercials I’m seeing and hearing are just getting me excited! I mean, they’re already playing the Hershey Kisses Bells commercial?!

Question for the Afternoon:

For those who celebrate Christmas, how long does it take for you to start “getting festive” (i.e., decorating, listening to music, etc.)?

For me, it’s usually Black Friday. That’s the day I start blasting my Christmas tunes and watch Elf while putting up the Christmas tree (just like I’ve done the past two years).

1 Chelsea @ Cardio and Cocktails November 7, 2012 at 2:48 pm

Thanksgiving usually does it for me because of all the family that gets together and we usually do winter activities (ice skating, etc). This year my sister is in London so when she gets back for Christmas, we will be in full blown celebration mode!
Chelsea @ Cardio and Cocktails recently posted..Pumping Up Lunch

2 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions November 7, 2012 at 2:56 pm

In college I would *occasionally* allow myself to start celebrating Christmas slightly before Thanksgiving, but only because after Thanksgiving there would usually only be two weeks or so left in the semester and then we all went home for break. Generally, though, I am a hard and fast “Christmas MAY NOT start until I’ve digested my Thanksgiving dinner” sort of person. I just don’t want to get Christmas-ed out, you know? That would be so sad.
Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..I Miss You College, Oh Yes I Do

3 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 7, 2012 at 2:57 pm

That soup looks delicious and those mini saltine crackers are just too darn cute! ;)

I am almost always beyond ready to decorate for Xmas as soon as Thanksgiving is over. If I am not already in the Xmas spirit, celebrating Thanksgiving and going shopping on Black Friday really put me in the mood. Bring on the Christmas music!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Sweet Potato Dal

4 Rachel November 7, 2012 at 2:59 pm

omg we have the same tradition! LOL! I always put up my tree on Black Friday and watch Elf haha!
Rachel recently posted..Creamy Apple Oat Bran + Frost Bite

5 Lisa November 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm

Oh, I need to try out that soup. I’ve had soup basically every night this week. Good job on getting some yoga in, I stretched today which was pretty unusual! Yah, I’m pumped for Christmas, we’re decorating this weekend! I can’t wait to bust out the tunes already.
Lisa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

6 Olivia @ Liv Lives Life November 7, 2012 at 3:00 pm

AH! Those little saltines are so cute! And that soup sounds delicious. I honestly could start celebrating (decorations, music, etc.) right now if my family and friends were into it! All of the commercials that are on already are making me so excited! :-) Oh, and I LOVE the movie Elf, too!
Olivia @ Liv Lives Life recently posted..WIAW + National Theatre Recap

7 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 7, 2012 at 3:01 pm

It’s always the weekend after Thanksgiving. That has been tradition in my family for so long! But waiting until then is definitely an exercise in restraint!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..You Can Change The World!

8 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 7, 2012 at 3:02 pm

We try and hold off until December….but I will be starting my shopping before then!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A clumsy couple of days

9 Fizz November 7, 2012 at 3:03 pm

Oh oh!! I have already started listening to the Rockin’ Holidays Pandora station. I swear I tried to wait…I tried!!
That soup looks deelish!
Fizz recently posted..Registered for my first race!!

10 Megan November 7, 2012 at 3:04 pm

I’m not going to lie, I’ve listended to a Christmas station on Pandora the past 2 days at work. :) I know it’s far too early and I’m not giving Thanksgiving it’s due by already jumping to Christmas but I just can’t help it! I’m going to try and hold off on getting out the decorations until the weekend after Thanksgiving though, we’ll see if I make it.
Megan recently posted..Garlic and Pesto Salmon

11 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 7, 2012 at 3:06 pm

Black Friday marks Christmastime for me, too. There have been decorations in department stores (I’m looking at you, Macy’s) since October, which is crazy, and I’ve seen my first few Christmas TV commercials this week.
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Blame it on the Snow

12 Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson November 7, 2012 at 3:30 pm

November 1st! I used to work at Target and was on the team that reset all the aisles and we would come in overnight on Halloween and set Christmas, including the Christmas trees. Doing that for so long makes it feel like I’m waiting forever to put up Christmas decorations now. lol
Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson recently posted..The Wedding {And a FAB apparel company and DEAL!}

13 Katie @ Peace Love & Oats November 7, 2012 at 3:30 pm

Sadly I haven’t had any Christmas festivities until right before Christmas for the past 2 years, Christmas is just low on my priorities list during law school finals! And this year my last final is on Dec 22nd… So rude. I’m hoping to get into the spirit though this year, it’s so sad when Dec 26th comes and I realize I had a week or less to enjoy the season!
Katie @ Peace Love & Oats recently posted..WIAW–Pumpkin Craziness

14 Sri Devi November 7, 2012 at 3:50 pm
15 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 4:03 pm

LOL just repinned that one! Thanks ;)

16 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 7, 2012 at 3:58 pm

I’m with you… I usually wait until Black Friday to break out my Christmas decorations!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Product Review: SOYJOY Bars

17 Marielle November 7, 2012 at 4:21 pm

I made that soup last week, so good! My Christmas spirit will come after Thanksgiving…..although its hard hearing Christmas music around already!
Marielle recently posted..I’m an Ambassador!

18 Shannon November 7, 2012 at 4:26 pm

My family usually puts up the Christmas decorations the first or second weekend in December.

19 Courtney November 7, 2012 at 4:32 pm

I was looking at that soup saying, “Oh, wow. Those look like little, mini saltines.” Lo and behold, they are. They look so stinkin’ cute! Also, I always like seeing your cute holiday/seasonal decorations. =)

20 alyssa - life a la wife November 7, 2012 at 4:52 pm

Mini Saltines? Genius!
alyssa – life a la wife recently posted..1 month

21 Danielle @ itsaharleyyylife November 7, 2012 at 5:20 pm

I’m ready for Christmas too! Today when I was blogging I went to Christmas Country on Pandora… and I’m proud of it! I blame Starbucks with their red cups! (:

22 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 7, 2012 at 5:48 pm

Usually on Thanksgiving Day, I’m taking out the Christmas music. One year, I started listening to it right after Halloween, but then I got sick of it by December 1st. So since then, I’ve learned my lesson and waited until Thanksgiving. ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Cheddar Bacon Ranch Dip

23 Sarah November 7, 2012 at 6:29 pm

Love your tradition of watching elf on black friday! It’s literally my favorite christmas movie and it never fails to put me in the christmas spirit! Those mini saltine crackers are so addicting to sit and snack on all afternoon. Definitely guilty of doing that on more than one occasion :)
Sarah recently posted..WIAW: Healthified Mac and Cheesy

24 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 7, 2012 at 6:31 pm

I go with December 1st as the day to break out all my Christmas stuff (which happens to be on a Saturday this year, perfect). It’s my first time having my own apartment over Christmas, so I’m ridiculously excited for decorations/tree/christmas baking!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW #9–Weird, But Tasty.

25 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries November 7, 2012 at 6:38 pm

I’m super excited for Christmas too! I usually start to REALLY get in the mood the day of/after Thanksgiving as well. Can’t wait to bust out the decor and do some shopping! :)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #59: Finding A Balance {In Pregnancy}

26 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling November 7, 2012 at 8:14 pm

We usually put up our Christmas tree the weekend after Thanksgiving, but this year were going it the first weekend in December. I start listening to Christmas music after Halloween… ;) But not ALL the time :)
Molly@This Life Is Sparkling recently posted..WIAW: Number 56

27 Jennifer L November 7, 2012 at 8:35 pm

First off, I’m new to your blog (been reading about a week or two now), so hello!

I’m a holiday nut. This weekend I put on Elf while I did some cleaning… so yeah, that’s already done. I don’t put up decorations until black Friday either, but I struggle not to! The holidays aren’t that stressful for me, so I like them to be around as long as I can. In fact, each summer I miss Christmas and I end up watching some holiday movies… yep. I’m insane………… anyway, I can’t wait to start seeing Christmas stuff up on the blogs I read! I love seeing others’ decorations. So if you wanna break out the holiday mugs or something, at least one of your readers will enjoy it this soon :)
Jennifer L recently posted..Welcome :)

28 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 7, 2012 at 8:38 pm

My dad cringes every time a holiday commercial comes on the TV, but I on the other hand am starting to get a bit excited. My mom took down the Halloween decorations and put up her turkeys..hehe
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..WIAW // Chipped Tooth

29 Lauren November 7, 2012 at 9:07 pm

This is hands down one of my favorite soup recipes. It never disappoints me.
Lauren recently posted..My Number One Rule For Handling Stress

30 michelle kim November 7, 2012 at 10:28 pm

I turn on the Christmas jams when November rolls around and then go to the malls around December just to look at all the decorations (and put up the tree and decorations in the home after Thanksgiving).
michelle kim recently posted..My First Ever Hill Repeats

31 Khushboo November 7, 2012 at 11:02 pm

When I lived in London, the turning on of Christmas lights on all the streets got me in spirit…it usually happened around this time of year!
Khushboo recently posted..Weight Loss Wednesday: Keepin’ it real…

32 Tara Deal | Treble in the Kitchen November 8, 2012 at 4:58 am

I am the same way about Christmas….Black Friday mean Christmas music and well Christmas everything!! :) I just can’t wait!

33 Kelly @ Femme Fitale November 8, 2012 at 8:26 am

I’m usually the Christmas decoration queen. However, we just moved to Australia 2 months ago from the Great White North, so Christmas is going to be soooo strange this year! December is one of the hottest months here…
Nothing like singing Jingle Bells with flip flops on.

34 Megan November 8, 2012 at 11:31 am

Hey, I wanted to share with you, One of my friends works at Hottie Pilates in Austin and they have some videos on Youtube that you could check out for something different…

35 Courtney November 8, 2012 at 11:59 am

Thanks for letting me know! I’ll have to check it out :)

36 Renee @ Fit For Motherhood November 8, 2012 at 11:46 am

I really have to get back into yoga/pilates again. I have been doing lots of weights and cardio, but I need to change it up. Thank you for motivating me to take my workouts in that direction. :)

We love Christmas around here, so we are actually starting to decorate already. Pretty much as soon as Halloween is over we take down those decorations and begin putting up Christmas ones.
Renee @ Fit For Motherhood recently posted..Kickboxing at Home

37 Meghan @ After the Ivy League November 8, 2012 at 12:12 pm

I get festive right after Halloween in terms of listening to music sometimes and watching a couple movies. I won’t decorate the house/tree till after Thanksgiving, but I’m SO happy Thanksgiving is early this year! It’s like the holidays last even longer :)
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #10: Then and Now

38 Shannon November 8, 2012 at 12:27 pm

hm… my family is too small and not really into the whole Christmas holiday thing… kinda sad. I remember when I was younger I loved opening up presents but now… it’s just… a time to relax I guess. But reading your excitement makes me excited regardless :D
Shannon recently posted..Focus on one thing at a time.

39 Bek @ Crave November 9, 2012 at 12:58 am

I usually wait for December till the festivity and Christmas planning, decorating etc gets in full swing! Oh and that’s when the christmas tree goes up- 1st of December! We have a new one this year (after 20 years!)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..It Brightened my Day!