Are You Freaking Kidding Me?

by Courtney on November 9, 2012

I’ve got a bit of a rant here at the end of this morning’s post, but first let’s recap some food, shall we?

Oh mannnn, did I have a great dinner last night. And I didn’t have to cook any of it, which makes it only that much better, right?

Dinner at my in-laws is fun because the meals are always so different. I was even trying to guess what we might be having beforehand, but I had no clue…and I would have never guessed what we had last night.

We started things off with salad and freshly baked bread.

And then for our main course, we had an AMAZING beef and sweet potato stew.

The flavor was just incredible, and I loved how it incorporated sweet potatoes for a nice change. It was from the crockpot and I’m working on getting the recipe because I would absolutely make this again. Yum!

After dinner, we settled in and watched The Voice while sipping on some hot tea – chamomile (with honey and vanilla) with milk for me.

Oh…and, of course, we had dessert.

I’m tempted to say that this batch may have even come out better than the first one…but then Jay might get a big head, so I’ll just leave it at it was delicious. Winking smile

*****

I’ve got a BUSY day ahead of me, so I should get a head start with things nice and early this morning. I’ve already got a few things knocked off my list, and around 8am, I stopped to make some breakfast.

Coffee + egg and spinach scramble + pumpkin spice English muffin with PB & pumpkin butter.

As I was sitting eating my breakfast, I couldn’t help but catch the story that was playing on GMA in the background. And, actually, the more I listened, the more pissed off I got (sorry, but I was), so now let me go ahead and share my rant. It probably sounds a bit angrier than you’re used to reading on here. Whoops. Smile

The story was about how Jennifer Lawrence is considered a “fat actress” in Hollywood (you can read about it here).

source

The story goes on to say how she doesn’t tend to fit the typical Hollywood mold, and that she’s actually considered “obese” by Hollywood standards. Ughh. This just makes me so incredibly sad and angry.

source

Thankfully, she seems to have a good head on her shoulders, and says she has no desire to “slim down” to critics’ standards. I can only hope she’ll remain that adamant, because she truly is a beautiful woman, and I’m honestly just getting so sick and tired of hearing these outrageous claims of average (or even below average!) sized women being labeled as “fat” or “obese.” It’s just sick, and it’s no wonder our society is inundated with ways to slim down, lose weight, or have the “perfect” body.

source

You guys all know I haven’t been feeling the best about my own body and appearance these days, but I almost feel like this morning was a bit of a turning point for me. Or, rather, a breaking point. Life is just too short to be worrying about the last “X” amount of pounds to lose, or the perfect body…and especially not about pleasing others – whether it be a movie critic, a friend, or a random person walking down the street. Hopefully one of these days, our society will learn to accept that.

End rant.

And I promise, I’m not as angry as I appear to be this morning. In fact, I’m in a rather good mood today! And I’m also pretty excited about a fun giveaway headed your way this afternoon, so stay tuned. Winking smile

1 Lauren November 9, 2012 at 9:15 am

I saw this this morning too and was disgusted!!! What is wrong with the world, seriously? How are we supposed to teach our children to grow up in a world free of judgement and critical harm when this is what we are up against?
I am right there with you lady and definitely almost spit out my coffee when I saw this. Shame on them!
Lauren recently posted..Friday Confessions

2 Khushboo November 9, 2012 at 9:16 am

That’s so lame…I feel ragey reading about it! I think she has a killer body…real women have curves!
Khushboo recently posted..Few of my favourite things…

3 Beks November 9, 2012 at 9:16 am

I saw that last night and went “Huh?!” Jennifer Lawrence is healthy-looking and really strong (She had to be for Hunger Games!), and she’s also a great actress. Definitely role model material. She knows who she is, and she knows that she is a role model, whether she wants to be or not. I admire her.
Beks recently posted..Happy Election Day!

4 Beth M November 9, 2012 at 9:24 am

What is she a freaking size 6?! She doesn’t have an ounce of fat on her, she’s fit and is maybe built slightly curvier than a supermodel (thank god). I really think she looks normal…. I don’t see the “fat” aspect. Yeah, this stuff gets to me too. That’s all :)

5 Claire @ Flake and Cake November 9, 2012 at 9:24 am

Have you noticed how your breakfast looks like a smiley face today? Or is that just me being sad ;).
I totally agree with you, saying she is fat is so irresponsible and dangerous – she is a healthy, toned and talented actress. How can young girls growing up possibly be expected to have a healthy idea of body image when there are discussions like that going on?
Claire @ Flake and Cake recently posted..You Make Me Sparkle

6 Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete November 9, 2012 at 9:26 am

Wow, seriously? I had been hearing jabs about Jennifer Lawrence’s weight since Hunger Games came out (mostly that she wasn’t skinny enough to play Katniss, who was going hungry most of the time), and even then I just was like, “What?!” Our society as a whole is so focused on a set number of lbs and every little flaw, it’s sickening. Who cares what she actually weighs?! She is a strong woman and a good actress. Sadly, that will never be the main focus.

It reminds me of the Summer Olympics…people were commenting on the girl volleyball players’ bodies and how they were “fat.” I’m sorry, that fat is actually MUSCLE. They are toned, healthy and incredibly fit. People incorrectly equate skin & bones as healthy and beautiful. It’s no wonder so many young girls are growing up with these horribly distorted views of their bodies :(
Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete recently posted..Green Monster Smoothie

7 Colleen Gifford November 9, 2012 at 9:32 am

That got me riled this morning too. Perhaps she’s big boned because if she lost any weight she’d look sickly.

8 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance November 9, 2012 at 9:32 am

Couldn’t have said that all better myself! And the interesting thing is that it’s taken some time for me to realize all this. The media drives a certain standard into our heads, and it’s easy to get pulled into their ideas of how it should be. It’s sad really. Now, being a high school teacher, and watching how the media impacts young, impressionable girls, I can see exactly why it happened to me and I see it happening every day to these girls (and boys, actually, too). Anyways, the best we can do is spread the love and knowledge just as you’re doing by blogging about it. And also, making sure we are positive role models for not only ourselves, but those around us. It does make a difference!!! :)
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Cookie Snacks

9 Parita @ myinnershakti November 9, 2012 at 9:37 am

Are you freaking kidding me is right! Bollywood (the Indian version of Hollywood) is the same way, and it makes me so mad. I don’t even know what to say! But the very last paragraph you wrote sums it up for me. I don’t always feel great about my body, but life is waaay too short to focus on things that don’t matter in the long term. I think we, as a society, have come to a point where health should be the focus, not a dress size or number on a scale. Thanks for sharing, Courtney!

10 Ali November 9, 2012 at 9:39 am

I totally agree with you that 1) she is in no way fat or obese and 2)society has some unrealistic expectations for women. One of the things you said surprise me a little though, after you talk about how she is considered a “fat actress” you say “First of all, I’m sorry, but are you freaking kidding me? This young woman is absolutely stunning.” This implies that being fat or overweight and being stunning or beautiful are mutually exclusive and I don’t think that is true at all. I actually think that is part of our problem, as a society, we tell women you can’t be beautiful and overweight at the same time which, to me, is just not true-women can be beautiful at all sizes! Just wanted to share my opinion!

11 Courtney November 9, 2012 at 9:50 am

Wow, thanks Ali. I never even thought about how someone may read into that sentence that way. It’s certainly not the way I feel, by any means, as beauty comes in all shapes and sizes. But it’s a good reminder to be careful how we word things. Thanks again for bringing that up!

12 Becki (@Fight4Wellness) November 9, 2012 at 9:39 am

It’s amazing how out of touch with reality Hollywood has become. Working in a college counseling center it’s no surprise to me how “fat-conscious” this kind of mindset is making our youth. I have several clients who are struggling with body issues because they think they’re fat when they’re far from it. This makes me so incredibly sad, but I’m thankful there are so many of us working to combat the perpetuation of this mindset.
Becki (@Fight4Wellness) recently posted..Just Another Manic Monday: Ultimate Bootcamp Day 1

13 Alexandra November 9, 2012 at 9:39 am

Amen Sista! To me she has a KILLER figure!! And so do you!! Life is too short and unpredictable to be constantly worrrying about losing 5 pounds or having the “perfect” body – its all relative! We as women need to learn to embrace our bodies and our curves because those curves are in fact exactly what make us women!

14 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction November 9, 2012 at 9:40 am

I am totally with you on this one Courtney!!! Being in the modeling industry I am constantly around this kind of talk. I am all for trying to look and feel your best, but to call that girl “fat” is just plain WRONG! Actually I would consider her thin if I saw her in person. And people wonder why more and more children, teens and even adults have a distorted body image! Well just look at what they are promoting on TV…This makes me mad too, it’s not only you!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..7 Things I Like About The Winter

15 Caitlin November 9, 2012 at 9:43 am

omg thank you so much for ranting about this…I love Jennifer Lawrence and stuff like this makes me so upset! I couldn’t agree more, and I’m so glad that I’m not the only one! And I’m glad that it made you realize that life is too short to be focused on stuff like that…still working on learning it myself so this was a WONDERFUL reminder :)

16 Alycia November 9, 2012 at 9:48 am

Wow, that is such crap! She looks fantastic, and is not obese, heck, not even overweight!

It really is Hollywood that makes all of us mere mortals feel so bad about ourselves!

17 Lindsay @ Typically Late November 9, 2012 at 9:49 am

ummm… WHAT?! Jennifer Lawrence is fat?! I cannot even. Hollywood is the worst. JL is gorgeous, and her body is amazing. I hope she sticks to her guns on this one.
Lindsay @ Typically Late recently posted..It’s OK!

18 Sara@MagiaePasta November 9, 2012 at 9:52 am

This rant is totally warranted – they must be seeing the world through a different set of lenses than I, because I don’t think Jennifer Lawrence is even in the realm of fat. I understand that Hollywood consistently operates in a different reality when it comes to body images but jeez Louise!
Sara@MagiaePasta recently posted..Lucked Out

19 Jai November 9, 2012 at 9:55 am

wow totally agree with you guys! i always liked celebs with that body type (like Blake Lively) – they just look NORMAL. athletic girls have more to them. :)

i was katniss for halloween too!
Jai recently posted..Guys Pushing Girls Over … Walls

20 Nicole November 9, 2012 at 9:56 am

Your “rant” was very well said and didn’t come off angry at all…at least not to me because I completely agree! She is stunning and looks fit and healthy. During the summer months I became obsessed with trying to get leaner and firmer by increasing my proteins and cutting way down on carbs, but it became the only thing I was thinking about as I constantly planned out the next meal and exercise. Then while stuck inside last week with by boyfriend due to hurricane Sandy, I wasn’t able to get in my same workouts and I let him decide several of the meals which were often paired with a glass or two of wine. And you know what, it was really nice! And I didn’t gain any weight!! While I’m not going to go and eat whatever I want, I’m not going to obsess over everything that goes into my mouth and as long as I’m getting my workouts in I’m going to enjoy a glass of wine here and there along with holiday treats (still in moderation). I’m not a model, it is not my primary job, and moreover I want to enjoy life and remain sane, and for me that means not worrying about every little pound.
Nicole recently posted..Things I’ve bookmarked this week…

21 Amanda @ Romancing the Unusual November 9, 2012 at 9:59 am

I keep reading things about this young girl being “fat!” It really is outrageous and represents so much that is wrong with the world today. She is thin and healthy looking and OMG has curves, heaven forbid!
Amanda @ Romancing the Unusual recently posted..Factual Friday

22 Kerry @ Totes My Oats November 9, 2012 at 10:04 am

I am so sick of the Hollywood standards. It’s unreal and absolutely no positive mindset for young girls to grow up with!
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..It is Back!

23 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 9, 2012 at 10:10 am

I heard this story yesterday, and I absolutely couldn’t believe it. Hollywood and the standards they are setting up for everyone is getting out of hand. I know the girls of our generation have grown up with this nonsense, and it has caused all kinds of issues for all of us. There is a new generation of young girls behind us, and I truly want them to grow up being strong and proud of their bodies. That’s what I hope we are accomplishing little by little in the healthy living community.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Must Visit Soon

24 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie November 9, 2012 at 10:18 am

That stuff pisses me off too, because then the media gets all high and mighty about there being too many eat disorders or people being depressed — guess who’s causing it, media? I think J Law is beautiful!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Pumpkin Pie Pancakes for Dinner

25 Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile November 9, 2012 at 10:23 am

What the hell?!?! She is very very FAR from fat! That is absolutely ridiculous!
Brittany @ GOtheXtraMile recently posted..Mini Challenge

26 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries November 9, 2012 at 10:29 am

Ugh that is just disgusting and pisses me off too!! I couldnt agree more with everything you said!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Incline Walking Intervals

27 Rachel November 9, 2012 at 10:31 am

I know when she was in the Hunger Games she got a lot of bashing for that.. it’s HORRIBLE.. I couldn’t believe it.. she’s a perfect example for how women and girls should be. She’s healthy, she works out, she has curves. I love her.. I’m glad she doesn’t let it affect her
Rachel recently posted..I spoke too soon…

28 Marielle November 9, 2012 at 10:40 am

Oh God- those things annoy me too. I remember reading something once that said by Hollywood standards a size 4 is big. Um…right. So lame. I think Jennifer Lawrence has a great body and looks healthy!

29 michelle kim November 9, 2012 at 10:42 am

It’s no wonder people have so many body image issues! I really think the media needs to think about what they’re writing and what kind of messages they are sending. I know it certainly affected me when I was growing up. Going through anorexia, then bingeing, then bulimia… and it’s sad because I’ve always been at a healthy weight!
Even if you weren’t too too angry about this, I’m getting a little fired up about it! Thanks for posting this. I think we should all try to be more aware of these things O__O (and begin to challenge those harmful ideas).
michelle kim recently posted..Extreme Caution

30 Lindsay A November 9, 2012 at 10:44 am

Wow…that’s all I can say…these people have lost it. She is perfect the way she is. It makes me sick how society is apalled by how many girls have eating disorders, yet the media is throwing this in our face. I’ve been having some pretty low self esteem feelings lately as well. I’m newly married and trying to figure out how to balance alot of new things…yet keeping my old healthy habits. So far I feel like it’s been a losing battle. But you’re right….why waste such a wonderful time in my lfe worrying about my waistline. I’m glad this was a turning point for you. I needed to hear it too!

31 Brandi November 9, 2012 at 10:49 am

I saw that article yesterday and couldn’t believe it. But it was just proof positive that society puts some much stock in appearance. Body image should be about wanting to be healthy and fit, not about being thin so someone or some industry will like me.
Good for her for setting them straight!

Have a great Friday!
Brandi recently posted..Run Forrest!

32 Kim @ The Family Practice November 9, 2012 at 10:52 am

I don’t watch TV or news in the morning because I kept finding myself upset at things and I didn’t want to be starting my day off on a “ticked off note” – I figure, the more we watch the crap these shows are spewing at us, the more crap they will spew so I just turn it off.
That sweet potato stew sounds so yummy! I’ve been seeing recipes for beef and sweet potato (chili, stew, etc) – that must be the popular thing this fall.
Kim @ The Family Practice recently posted..Sweet Potato Wontons – NEW APPROACH

33 Steph @ StephSnacks November 9, 2012 at 10:53 am

Couldn’t have said it better myself!
Steph @ StephSnacks recently posted..Random Vlog

34 Meghan @ After the Ivy League November 9, 2012 at 10:54 am

A-freaking-MEN! Honestly, I couldn’t agree more. It sounds cliche, but there are SO many more important things in life besides food and working out and losing weight and having the “perfect” body (newsflash, there’s no such thing). It makes me crazy too. Jennifer Lawrence is absolutely beautiful, and you know what? Even if she wasn’t “beautiful” by typical standards, SO WHAT? No matter how you look, does it really matter, as long as you’re healthy and happy?
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #10: Then and Now

35 Danica @ It's Progression November 9, 2012 at 10:59 am

All I have to say is THANK YOU for going on this ‘rant’ … I could not agree more!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..just checking in

36 kim@hungryhealthygirl November 9, 2012 at 11:00 am

You’ve got to be kidding me! Jennifer Lawrence…fat…that is ridiculous!!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..A book review: The Time Traveler’s Wife

37 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution November 9, 2012 at 11:04 am

My goodness! What is she, a size 6!? I wish we could have a revolution against the “Hollywood Standard” — it’s absurd. What if a teenage girl saw that? Obese? Come on!
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..My Top 5 Ways to Stay Healthy at the Office

38 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 9, 2012 at 11:05 am

I think you should continue to let Jay think that his version of the dessert was better…then you’ll have an excuse to have him make it next time and you can just sit back, relax, and eat it! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..“No Chicken” Noodle Chickpea Soup

39 Lyric November 9, 2012 at 11:23 am

Amen! Hollywoods view of people really gets me going….
Lyric recently posted..Oats; Your Rock

40 Mikayla November 9, 2012 at 11:28 am

Jennifer Lawrence IS stunning! And very talented as well. I remember shortly after The Hunger Games came out, there was talk about how she was “too fat” for the role, supposedly because some thought Katniss should have been thinner due to the circumstances surrounding the story. I’m a big fan of the books and when I saw the movie, that thought didn’t even enter my mind, so I thought it was stupid then… it’s even more ridiculous now. All of this is coming on the heels of the new Kardashian “Plus Size” clothing line that just launched as well… which starts at a size 8!! Excuse me, but when did size 8 become plus size? I weep for all the young girls who see this junk and begin to internalize it. Things need to change.
Mikayla recently posted..Words to Live By Wednesday: Eat to Fill Your Stomach, Not Your Heart

41 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries November 9, 2012 at 11:32 am

I am OBSESSED with her figure. She’s perfect.
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..A Night at CineBistro

42 Nicole November 9, 2012 at 11:43 am

I agree with Colleens comment above. She’s so freakin gorgeous and her figure is perfect, actually how I think women’s bodies should look. That seriously makes me mad too. Not in a bad mood sort of way, but in an angry-in-the-moment-I-will-knock-out-anyone-calling-Jennifer-Lawrence-fat kind of way. :)

43 Victoria November 9, 2012 at 11:49 am

Amen. Amen. Amen. I am so glad to hear this coming out in such public forums. Too often we strive to see past what we have for what we want. We miss out on SO MUCH. We will NEVER be happy unless we learn to find contentment in where we’re at. Thanks for your rant, it was really encouraging!

44 kristen @ livinlifeinlouie November 9, 2012 at 11:54 am

I would love to see (and talk to) the person who thinks she is obese. she is gorgeous!

45 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 9, 2012 at 11:57 am

Great post, Courtney! I absolutely love Jennifer Lawrence (she was *phenomenal* in The Hunger Games), and it’s so frustrating when the media slam her for not being a “typical” Hollywood actress. I’m so glad she’s not succumbing to the pressure. This sounds very similar to the Lady Gaga “news” when she gained weight. C’mon, people! Jennifer and Gaga are two examples of how real women look, and both are so gorgeous and talented.
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Is It December 1 Yet?

46 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit November 9, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Wow! She’s stunning & very toned & healthy looking! I didn’t notice this on the news so thanks for sharing & I think you’re fully justified in being pissed. It’s ridiculous how they criticize healthy looking ladies like her….leaves it wide open for everyones insecurities!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..Busted…Straight Busted

47 Courtney F November 9, 2012 at 12:02 pm

Fantastic RANT!! I completely agree. She is one hot chica!! Hollywood is a sad place for women. I know I have struggled with issues on weight and body image and this article on her does not send a positive message out about being strong and fit!
Courtney F recently posted..Groceries and recipe keeper

48 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 9, 2012 at 12:10 pm

I’m sorry but… obese? What the eff. I think she looks amazing! She has such a freaking gorgeous figure, and I really hope she sticks to her guns and doesn’t lose any weight… That just… ugh.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud #5 .

49 Renee @ Fit For Motherhood November 9, 2012 at 12:14 pm

You said that perfectly. I just can’t believe the media and society these days. No wonder so many people have weight issues. It is so sad.
Life is too short to worry about a number. You really made me think about how I have been feeling lately. Thank you for that amazing post.
Renee @ Fit For Motherhood recently posted..Bootcamp – Love or Hate it?

50 Jolynn November 9, 2012 at 12:16 pm

Excellent rant. As if we (women) don’t feel insecure already; we have to get judged by both society and the so called “ideal” fit from the media.
Jolynn recently posted..KLUTCHclub Review and Giveaway!

51 Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit November 9, 2012 at 12:23 pm

A topic well-deserving of an angry rant! ;) That is so flippin’ ridiculous!! I’ve seen the headlines and refuse to even click on them. Calling this beautiful, healthy-looking woman obese is absolutely preposterous!! I can’t help but think that it’s just so ridiculous that it’s a ploy for ratings. Not cool. Thanks for sharing your rant :D.
Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit recently posted..To Post Or Not To Post? That Is The Question.

52 Ellie@Fit for the Soul November 9, 2012 at 12:44 pm

first of all, all that food looks really good! Especially your creeeammy dessert…mmmm. ;)

And when you mentioned that the actress was called a “fat actress”, I expected an unhealthy looking person! But she looks so healthy and beautiful and, perfectly slim! Like, not too small and not big AT ALL…..I am amazed at how the world is becoming more corrupt, more skewed in its views, and more confused. Pretty much with everything! Thank you for sharing that, and glad you’re having a great day :D
ps: a while ago I told you about Rodney Yee being an amazing instructor, and I forgot to answer back to your question. Sorry! the DVD that I love and LOST is called Yoga Burn. It’s a slooooowww sequence (that goes by so quickly time-wise) that basically make you feel all your deep muscles stretching and relaxing. It’s calming, yet so invigorating! At the end I’m usually sweating quite a bit!
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Picky Eating

53 Nicole @ Curly Mommy November 9, 2012 at 12:58 pm

I’m not gonna rediscover the wheel by saying this, since it seems like everyone else already has :), but I was reading this story on People.com yesterday and was absolutely furious. Thanks for speaking up and saying how absolutely LUDICROUS this whole thing is.
Nicole @ Curly Mommy recently posted..Feels so good!

54 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 9, 2012 at 1:24 pm

Absolutely agree with you there – Jennifer Lawrence is absolutely gorgeous! And on that note – a fantastic actress (Have you seen Winter’s Bone? She is amazing is that movie). It makes me sad that Hollywood focuses so much on critiquing her body as opposed to discussing her awesome acting abilities. The age we live in, I suppose – it’s pretty shameful.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..A Cupful of Mayo.

55 april November 9, 2012 at 1:32 pm

i saw that story on GMA this morning, too! i agree with you 100% – jennifer lawrence looks fabulous and i don’t understand how she could even be considered obese in the slightest! what upsets me the most is that she stars in movies that are targeted for a younger audience – i don’t want young girls to compare themselves to her body type/size and think that they are “fat,” as well.

56 Tina @ Best Body Fitness November 9, 2012 at 1:33 pm

I want to know something…do ANY of these Hollywood tabloid/cover story people who share this CRAP have daughters? That they feel okay propagating this message? Even so, it’s still a load of ridiculousness that makes you wonder why they critique bodies so much. Why not celebrate a MORE NORMAL figured woman (actually still tiny) for a change? Now you got me all riled up. I hadn’t heard about this yet.
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Scenes from the Week

57 Ashlee November 9, 2012 at 1:44 pm

It is so sad that it is the people writing these trypes of articles have so much influence! I wish the famous ladies they talk so much about would be as strong as Jennifer Lawrence and not conform to their ridiculous standards!
Ashlee recently posted..Jungle Food

58 Marykate Sinnott November 9, 2012 at 1:50 pm

I saw this too. And I love this girl for staying true to herself! As someone with a loooong history of eating disorders and has come a loooong way back, I hope that she stays exactly as she is and continues to be a positive role model for young women
Marykate Sinnott recently posted..Predictions for 2012

59 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 9, 2012 at 2:52 pm

I’m glad you’re feeling a bit better in yourself! I’ve been through the highs and lows, the extremes of being so thin that I had to be hospitalised and maybe not quite over weight but extremely curvy for a short period in the middle of it all. If finally found peace and really you’ve got to remember that it really is in your head; other people don’t see small changes in how you appear, you’re still the same awesome person and once you’re healthy and feel healthy that’s all that matters! :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Peanut Butter Wonderful

60 Jess@atasteofconfidence November 9, 2012 at 3:24 pm

First of all, that is so ridiculous. She is gorgeous and SMALL. I read somewhere she said she was always the girl who ate everyone else’s food that they didn’t finish because she didn’t give a crap — so I am glad she has got that attitude!

Also, I know what you mean about not feeling great recently, but I’m glad you turned it around…what always helps me is thinking about what really matters, and 100 percent of the time, it doesn’t include my pant size or weight.
Jess@atasteofconfidence recently posted..What my iTunes most-played list says about me

61 Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset November 9, 2012 at 4:14 pm

Don’t apologize for feeling pissed off- it is 100% warranted. I read the article on this on Huffington Post and it made my blood boil, but then again, why am I ever surprised? We are getting there with women’s rights, marriage equality, minimizing (but definitely not eliminating) racism, sexism and homophobia, but when it comes to discrimination against those who do not fit the ‘ideal body,’ we have a WAYS to come.
Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset recently posted..The Best Medicine

62 Shannon November 9, 2012 at 4:54 pm

I heard about Jennifer Lawrence during my first period free this morning at school. She is not fat at all, but has a beautiful body. Society needs to stop judging others’ appearances. I watched the GMA video, and the Instagram photo of the Victoria Secret model two days before the fashion show made me want to throw up. She has absolutely no stomach, and you can see her leg bone. Is this what people can pretty?!? :(

63 Shannon November 9, 2012 at 4:55 pm

* should be “Is this what people call pretty?!?”

64 Jane November 9, 2012 at 5:01 pm

I would chose the scarf! It’s freezing here in central PA!

65 Haley November 9, 2012 at 7:33 pm

I am disgusted about this too. And, I’m so glad I had the time this evening to look through other posts besides your latest to find this one. I’m a thin, strong, healthy, mom-of-two, and have been trying to lose the last 8 lbs. for 5 years just b/c it’s what I was pre-pregnancy with my 2nd and last daughter. Enough. Thank you for the push to get over it, and to gracefully accept that this *stupid* numbers game is for the idiots in Hollywood.

66 Bek @ Crave November 9, 2012 at 7:48 pm

How disgusting! She is amazing, and who cares if she did have a little extra on her anyways (not that she does). Different, HEALTHY weights are all beautiful. It’s disgusting what society and the media does to people. I’ve actually stopped reading ‘trashy’ magazines because of it. I’m glad you found your turning/breaking point! You’re bangin’ also!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Small things, Big differences

67 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 9, 2012 at 8:14 pm

That actress IS beautiful. Hollywood standards are UNREAL and if I keep talking about it, it will just piss me off (even more). ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday // Let’s Be Friends!

68 Lydia November 9, 2012 at 10:03 pm

I am SO glad you said something about this, Courtney. I am SICK that this is even an issue! She is NOT obese by any means, and I personally know many young women who look up to her as a wonderful (and Beautiful) role model!! THANK YOU for sharing! Props!!
Lydia recently posted..Simple Yet Satisfying

69 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate November 10, 2012 at 1:05 am

I agree, I think it is disgusting how the media addresses issues of weight and body image. In that industry it is definitely import to have a good head on your shoulders and not pay so much attention to the judgements.

And that stew looks fabulous! Hopefully you can snag the recipe. :-)
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Five Facts on Friday

70 Jennifer D November 10, 2012 at 12:28 pm

I totally agree with you! I read your blog and that article and it made me write my own rant on this issue! THANK you for sharing and being an advocate for healthy living and real women!!
Jennifer D recently posted..Reality Check via the Internet?

71 Molly@This Life Is Sparkling November 10, 2012 at 6:49 pm

That seriously makes me SO mad to hear she is considered a “fat” actress! I think she is stunning and I think anyone would love having a body like hers. She’s gorgeous and I hope she never changes the way she is.
Molly@This Life Is Sparkling recently posted..High Five for Friday

72 Valerie @ FreshMutz November 11, 2012 at 9:17 pm

I think (hope?) the word choice of “obese” was more media sensationalism than Hollywood’s sentiments. I recently made the observation that starlets are getting more curvy. This is consistent with the interview with celebrity trainer Harvey Pasternak I read where he says that body parts have fads and right now it’s all about the booty!

I loved loved Ms. Lawrence in the red Calvin Klein dress. Gorge.
Valerie @ FreshMutz recently posted..April Showers Bring May Flowers and Another Foodie Pen Pal Package

73 Sarah December 7, 2012 at 5:56 pm

mmm , that bread looks AWESOME!
Sarah recently posted..We’ve Moved!