A Reebok Fitness Experience, Part 1 {CrossFit}

by Courtney on November 18, 2012

Ok, seriously. This past Friday’s trip to Reebok HQ was absolutely incredible. I consider myself extremely fortunate to have had the opportunity to visit not once, but twice within this past year. And believe it or not, this trip was just as great, if not better than the first. I’ve got a long post here, so grab a drink and settle in!

This trip, dubbed the Reebok Fitness Experience, was a bit different than my previous visit; while the first trip focused a bit more on the technology of their products and how they’re made, this trip gave us the opportunity to visit Reebok CrossFit ONE, check out some of their latest footwear and apparel, and learn about the inspiration behind the products. Aka, awesomeness.

When we first arrived on Friday morning, there was some breakfast available for us to have while we chatted amongst each other and got caught up with some of the great people from Reebok.

Julie, Anne, and I drove over together from the hotel together so grabbed a quick photo before heading in.

I actually got so caught up in talking with everyone that I never really got a chance to grab more than a coffee for breakfast. Luckily I had eaten a muffin in my hotel room before leaving, and surprisingly enough, it held me over for quite a while.

The morning started off with an opening presentation in the FitHub, where we all had some amazing little bags waiting for us (I’ll show ya what was inside down below!).

During the presentation, I started thinking a lot about Reebok, not only as a product, but as a company. Now, I don’t want you all to think I’m gushing over this company just because they invited me to visit their facilities; that is probably the farthest thing from the truth because I’ll tell ya…the more I learn about this company, the more I love them.

Reebok employees roughly 1000 people in their beautiful facility (you can see a few more photos of that HERE), and it’s very obvious that they care greatly about health and fitness (at least 70% of their employees work out regularly, and more than half of them are members of the CrossFit ONE box). Knowing that a company who wants to empower people to be fit for life is practicing what the preach really makes an impact on me as an outsider and a consumer.

Unfortunately, I don’t have too many photos from our presentations during the day, because most of the rooms were not “photo friendly” (aka, they were filled with all sorts of products that won’t be available until at least 2013). Can I tell you just how cool it was to be surrounded by products that nobody else has seen yet?!? And let me just say…there is some AWESOME stuff to come.

After our first presentation of the morning, we walked over to the Reebok CrossFit ONE box to get our WOD (workout of the day) on.

IMG_4620-001

You guys know I don’t have a lot of experience when it comes to different CrossFit boxes, but MAN, this box is immediately motivating as soon as you walk through the doors.

Me and my previous winning partner, Julie.

We started things out with a thorough overview of our WOD, by CrossFit ONE head coach, Austin Malleolo.

One of the coolest parts of the WOD, as I alluded to yesterday, was that we had some pretty special people with us for the day. Amongst them were Christy Phillips (11th Fittest Woman), Julie Foucher (2nd Fittest Woman) and Anne Marie McKay.

(photo courtesy of Jess)

Would you guys believe that Anne Marie is 74 years old?! She’s Reebok’s oldest employee and also happens to be an avid CrossFitter. How crazy cool is that?!

Along with the ladies, we also had some guys in the house…CrossFit Games & Reebok athlete Spencer Hendel (13th overall), coach James Hobart and coach Jared Davis.

(photo courtesy of Jess)

Once the introductions were taken care of, we went over some basics on proper form…

(photo courtesy of Jess)

And one we had the form down, it was time to rock and roll! It was a team WOD made up of three people; two of us FitFluential ambassadors and one CrossFit athlete.

Team WOD:
Run 200m each (relay)
150 Thrusters (45#/30# dumb bells)
100 Chest-to-bar pull-ups
50 Box Jumps (30″/24″)
Run 200m each (relay)

Rules:
1 person works
1 person holds 115 lbs (overhead/at shoulders)
1 person rests
* If the bar hits the ground, 10 burpees for each person

I wound up being on a pretty kickass team with Tina and our coach, Joe.

I’ll be honest with you guys…I was a little nervous when I first saw the WOD. As most of you probably know, I haven’t really been doing a whole lot of running these days, nor have I been doing any sort of intense exercise. On the one hand, I was nervous because I know my own competitive nature…once I get immersed in something like that, I can’t help but want to go 100%. But on the other hand, I didn’t want to risk any progress I’ve made just for one workout.

So I spoke with my coach, Joe, and told him my concerns. He immediately started coming up with ways that we could modify and scale back the workout to make it work for ME…

• Run 200m each (relay) – I did 150m on the rowing machine
  • 150 Thrusters (45#/30# dumb bells) – I used 10# dumbbells
  • 100 Chest-to-bar pull-ups – I used the rings for pull-ups
  • 50 Box Jumps (30″/24″) – Instead of jumping, I did step ups
  • Run 200m each (relay) – I did 150m on the rowing machine

IMG_4626IMG_4629

As soon as we started working through my modifications, my nerves were immediately put at ease, and I was ready to get to work! Before I knew it, the music was blasting, and we were all in full swing.

(photo from Kelly)

And as everyone began finishing up, we all continued to cheer on our fellow competitors who were still at work…including Anne Marie, who was totally kicking butt.

Believe it or not, our team name was #HAM…

Yep…we actually finished first! Way to go teammate!!

(photo from Kelly)

I’m pretty sure my modifications may have had something to do with that, but that’s okay. I’ll own it. Winking smile

The coaches…

The whole FitFluential crew!

If there was one main thing that I took away from this second CrossFit experience of mine, it would probably be that CrossFit can be for anyone. It may not be a personal fit for everyone, but it can certainly be scaled and modified to fit everyone’s needs. Even though my personal WOD may have been a bit easier than everyone else who was around me, I still loved every second of it.

This post actually got WAY longer than I was expecting, so I think we’re going to have to cut it short here…be on the lookout for part 2 tomorrow! Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

Have you ever tried CrossFit? Would you, if you had the opportunity?

1 Blog is the New Black November 18, 2012 at 4:37 pm

Looks like fun!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Cornbread and Sausage Stuffing

2 Hillary November 18, 2012 at 4:42 pm

That sounds like one fun WOD! Way to go to you & Tina :)
Hillary recently posted..Girls on the Run {my coaching experience}

3 Alison November 18, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Looks like you had an awesome time! CrossFit sounds really fun and interesting. Way to kick butt!

4 Clare November 18, 2012 at 4:56 pm

Love how crossfit can be scaled, makes it so much more fun for everyone ;) Way to go on the first place!
Clare recently posted..Pecan Date Cookies {no-bake}

5 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 18, 2012 at 5:11 pm

I’d love to try Crossfit! It’s really expensive here as well as being hard to find a box. Well done on giving it a go! Loving all the purple tees :) Seriously can’t wait until we get some of the Reebok gear you guys have over there even online! We have nada available at the mo. It seems like such an awesome company! I want to be doing Crossfit when I’m 74!!!!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Banana and Berries

6 Bonnie Pfiester November 18, 2012 at 5:49 pm

Great Blog! I couldn’t agree more with the whole “gushing over a company” – I wanted (NEEDED) to brag on this brand because I was so impressed! Even if they didn’t invite us and treat us like royalty, I would have had to tell the world how amazing they are. It’s our duty to all our fit friends, right?!

Hopefully we’ll get more time to get to know each other better next trip!!! See you soon!! #RBKfitblog :)

7 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian November 18, 2012 at 5:51 pm

I have always thought CrossFit would be an interesting experience to try at least once…have not had a chance yet.
Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian recently posted..Rest, Relaxation, and Yoga

8 Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness November 18, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Can’t believe what an amazing experience that must have been! How awesome to not only be coached by such amazing athletes but to also work out with them! Thanks for sharing your experience!
Danielle@cleanfoodcreativefitness recently posted..Meals in Minutes: Pumpkin Spice Chia Pudding!

9 Katie November 18, 2012 at 6:15 pm

Crossfit has always intrigued me. I read Tina’s blog once in awhile as well, so I’ve learned a little bit about it through her. I’d definitely like to try it someday because it seems like a fun, hardcore workout, and people would motivate me to push myself.
Katie recently posted..The Deal with Stretching: Dynamic vs. Static

10 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 18, 2012 at 6:44 pm

Wow, looks like a pretty incredible experience! I’m always amazed at how buff Tina looks in her posts haha. So obviously Cross Fit must be doing something right for her! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..A day of comfort foods.

11 Jenny November 18, 2012 at 6:45 pm

That is incredible; Looks like you had a blast! This defiantly inspires me to try Cross Fit!!
I also think that every company should make fitness an important part of their company for their employees; it results in fewer absences and lowered stress levels! Good on Reebok!

12 Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie November 18, 2012 at 6:52 pm

It looks like you had an amazing time! I’ve never tried Crossfit, it intimidates me, but I love reading about everyone else’s experiences with it!
Erin @ Girl Gone Veggie recently posted..Snapshot Saturdays

13 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 18, 2012 at 7:02 pm

Sounds like a lot of fun! I’m glad they were able to make some modifications for you – that was too nice!
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

14 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige November 18, 2012 at 7:07 pm

What an awesome experience, Courtney! That facility looks awesome. Way to rock it out on the WOD :) I’ve never tried Crossfit, though I’m definitely interested.
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..5 For Friday

15 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 18, 2012 at 7:22 pm

I have yet to try CrossFit, but it’s on my fitness bucket list! I love how the workouts are scalable to any ability level, plus they’re always different, so they keep you guessing.
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Write It Down, Do It Up – Week of Nov. 18

16 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 18, 2012 at 7:28 pm

This looks like a lot of fun! I’m still unsure about Crossfit. It doesn’t SEEM like something I would like, but so many people love it! I’d definitely give it a chance.
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Disappearing Act

17 Danica @ It's Progression November 18, 2012 at 7:55 pm

That woman (Anne Marie) is so inspirational!! very cool…I hope to be just like that at her age!
I’ve never tried crossfit, mostly because I don’t want to pay the money for it since I have another great gym membership, but it does intimidates me! It’s cool to read that it was easily adaptable for YOUR specific needs. I love the whole premise of it though and would absolutely try it if given the chance.
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Workouts 11/11 – 11/17: a balanced week with running back in the mix!

18 alyssa - life a la wife November 18, 2012 at 8:07 pm

Crossfit is such a great way to workout with a group of people and get a GREAT workout! I love that you arent ever doing the same workout twice so you workout so many different muscles
alyssa – life a la wife recently posted..It Sucks You In

19 Marielle November 18, 2012 at 8:44 pm

Thanks for sharing all those pictures! Sounds like a pretty fun day. I have actually never tried Crossfit yet…..might be something to try out soon to switch up my routine!
Marielle recently posted..Weekend Away

20 Lyric November 18, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I would definitely try CrossFit if I had the chance!!
Lyric recently posted..Swale Rock for Brunch please

21 kat November 18, 2012 at 9:16 pm

I’ve been reading your blog for a few months now and don’t think I’ve ever commented. Just wanted to tell you that you look great!! You mentioned gaining back a significant amount of weight and feeling kinda bad about it or whatever, but I just wanted to tell you you must’ve been too thin before, cause you look healthy and beautiful. Please don’t worry!

22 Courtney November 19, 2012 at 8:11 am

Thanks so much, Kat. I really appreciate that :)

23 Danielle November 18, 2012 at 9:46 pm

I have never tried crossfit but it sounds like it would be fun. I love how they can make all the workouts work for any fitness/strength level! I am pretty sure I would need some modifications for some of their workouts. Looks like you had a blast!
Danielle recently posted..Special Delivery

24 Maris King November 18, 2012 at 9:52 pm

i can really see that you had a great experience there. Love that gym. It’s packed with many fitness equipments!
Maris King recently posted..Some Safety Tips for Home Renovators

25 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom November 18, 2012 at 9:52 pm

I would love to try Cross Fit but the boxes around here are just way above my price range. I did do a little At Home Cross Fit challenge at one point and it was a lot tougher than I anticipated it to be.
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Charlie Brown Christmas Tree

26 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 18, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Well if a 74 year old woman can do it, I don’t really have an excuse not to try it, do I? :-p
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..I’m Home!

27 Colorado Gal November 18, 2012 at 11:18 pm

I’m with you– loving Reebok more and more as I get to know the people behind the company. So glad to finally get to meet you this weekend; hopefully we’ll get to chat more at a future event :)
Colorado Gal recently posted..Boston Bound!

28 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 18, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Great job on placing first! I have heard so much about Cross Fit lately and would love to try it, but unfortunately there are not any locations close to me. Hopefully some day!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..The Triple B: Black Bean Burgers

29 Khushboo Thadani November 18, 2012 at 11:38 pm

Great going on crossfit, Courtney! Never done it but I like the fact that it can be adjusted to individual fitness levels- makes it all the less daunting!
Khushboo Thadani recently posted..One workout away from a great mood

30 Fizz November 18, 2012 at 11:57 pm

I am yet to try Crossfit! To be honest, it’s always kind of intimidated me a little bit, so it’s so nice to hear that you can scale it back/down to fit your fitness levels/injury etc. I also just wish it was a tiinnyy bit cheaper! It’s really expensive here in San Francisco.
It’s definitely on my bucket list though.
You girls looked awesome!
Fizz recently posted..Half Moon Bay, Adventure Day!

31 Donna November 19, 2012 at 7:53 am

I had just started Crossfit when I broke my arm. That was 3 months ago. I’m still not healed 100% so I couldn’t have started back yet, but now I don’t think I’m going to anyways. I’m just not sure if it’s for me. I’m not a great runner, I run funny since developing a stress fracture in my hip 4 years ago and no one can seem to “fix” me of that, even though I keep trying and trying. I’m also not sure I really like the olympic lifting. I love the atmosphere and the motivation though. I think if I hadn’t broken my arm I would probably still be doing it, but now that I’ve had so much time to think about it, I just don’t think it’s for me. And yes, it’s crazy expensive and I already shell out so much money for workouts.

32 Brandi November 19, 2012 at 8:12 am

What an exciting day! How cool that you guys won! :) I have never tried Crossfit, but I am just not sure if it’s for me. It seems very intimidating to me, but that is just me. :)
Brandi recently posted..A quick pop in

33 Kelly November 19, 2012 at 8:19 am

Looks like a great time Courtney! :)

34 Tina @ Best Body Fitness November 19, 2012 at 8:23 am

That sounds so fun. I wish I could have been able to hang out with all of you awesome ladies.
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Aiming for Normal

35 Angela November 19, 2012 at 8:35 am

think that is the best article thet i have read
Angela recently posted..Rio de Janeiro

36 Beks November 19, 2012 at 8:51 am

I would totally try Crossfit. Sadly, the ones in my area are EXPENSIVE!

37 Katie November 19, 2012 at 8:59 am

I’ve noticed that you haven’t been posting as many pictures of yourself lately, but I wanted to say that in the ones that you do post you look absolutely amazing! I know you’ve struggled with some things lately but I hope you are still able to see how beautiful you are.

38 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie November 19, 2012 at 9:16 am

Those workouts seem intense! Good for you!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Hot & Sweet Crock Pot Meatballs

39 Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete November 19, 2012 at 9:44 am

It’s great that CrossFit can be modified to fit anyone’s fitness level! I’ve been pretty intimidated to try it, but to hear how easily they can adjust the WOD, that definitely calms my nerves a bit haha Sounds like you had a great time!
Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete recently posted..Caffeine-fueled Green Monster & 5k PR

40 Caitlin November 19, 2012 at 10:06 am

so cool that you got to go back to Reebok and learn all about that 2013 stuff! and meet that famous 74 year old crossfitter i’ve heard so much about! also really cool that you could tailor the workout to your needs. it really is such an accessible form of fitness! as fitness should be!
Caitlin recently posted..Sprigs Earbags: A Family Review and Giveaway!

41 Patty November 19, 2012 at 10:56 am

I would love to give CrossFit a try, I think it would be a good fit for me but its just too expensive.

42 Renee @ Fit For Motherhood November 19, 2012 at 11:47 am

I haven’t tried CrossFit yet, but I keep thinking I really want to give it a try. My brother is huge into it and he speaks so highly of it. My biggest hurdle is I haven’t found any CrossFit gyms with childcare, such a bummer. :(
I really think CrossFit would be a great next step in my fitness adventures.

Thanks for sharing :)
Renee @ Fit For Motherhood recently posted..Hanging Christmas Lights

43 Shannon November 19, 2012 at 12:27 pm

No, I haven’t tried Crossfit. It looks really fun though!

44 Megan November 19, 2012 at 1:10 pm

I’ve been going back and forth on Crossfit for a while mostly because I’m afraid I’ll really like it and I don’t have room in my schedule to add it in, but the shirtless men in that last picture convinced me to start!
Megan recently posted..Phoenix Sister Cities 5K

45 Emily T. November 19, 2012 at 1:13 pm

I’ve been CrossFitting since mid-August, so about 3 months now. One of the things that I love about it is that it’s so easily scaled to meet different abilities! For example, here was this morning’s WOD from my box:

For time,
9 Squat Cleans 155/105#
15 Thrusters 135/85#
21 Pull-ups
15 Thrusters 135/85#
9 Squat Cleans 155/105#

I had to scale the pull-ups by doing them with a band (I just can’t do a pull-up YET). However, I managed to do the weight Rx’d, with much thanks to my coaches and the folks from my box who surrounded me and cheered me on as I did my last squat cleans. It took me 22:13, the longest of anybody this morning, but I was so proud of myself, and I felt so much love from my box this morning.

So aside from the scalability of it, the camaraderie and support system is definitely the best thing about CrossFit!

46 Shelly November 19, 2012 at 2:37 pm

I would love to try Crossfit and really could since there are boxes in my area. I’m just worried that I will like it, and I don’t want to pay the intense monthly fees!
Shelly recently posted..The Good, The Bad, & The Ugly

47 Jess @ Blonde Ponytail November 19, 2012 at 5:36 pm

So glad you could go “HAM” still because there are always modifications! Nice job! I have to agree with you–upon walking into Reebok CrossFit ONE, I’m immediately inspired! What a special place! My husband and I love to CrossFit together as a way to fit time in busy schedules and stay active! :)
Jess @ Blonde Ponytail recently posted..Reebok CrossFit ONE: The Team WOD

48 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate November 19, 2012 at 6:32 pm

I still need to get my butt over to a Crossfit class at least to try it out! It looks you you had a great time back at Rebook again!
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Before the Madness

49 Bek @ Crave November 20, 2012 at 12:04 am

I haven’t tried cross fit but would definitely try it if given the opportunity! I know a gym has a similar class but nothing beats the original ;)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Overtraining

50 Katie @ A Full Plate November 26, 2012 at 12:30 pm

I’ve been a CrossFit member for over a month now and LOVE it. It took me so long to “bite the bullet” but I’m so glad I did. Everyone seems to be intimidated by it, but I keep telling my friends exactly what you said…everything can be modified to fit your own level. And our box puts a lot of focus on instruction and proper form. I have never felt like I was in the dark. I think everyone should try it! It’s my favorite form of fitness that I’ve ever tried.