Waffle Heaven

by Courtney on November 25, 2012

Okay, so yesterday. Remember that waffle I shared with you all? Yeah, it was amazing. Well let’s talk about that waffle, and the place that it came from.

I met up with my bestie, Heather, for our monthly outing which we’re now making a conscious effort to keep up. Sometimes, time just gets past us way too quickly, and before we know it, it’s been months since we’d seen each other. Not any more though…monthly food dates are where it’s at!

So this month, we decided to check out a new place for breakfast, called Iron Roost in Ballston Spa.

It’s actually located just a few doors down from another favorite restaurant of mine, the Whistling Tea Kettle, and is quite the adorable little spot.

When we first walked in it seemed pretty busy but there were still a few tables available (we eventually snagged the one in the photo below), so we checked out the menu, placed our orders, then grabbed a seat.

Iron Roost’s menu is made up of basically all waffles. They make sweet waffles, savory waffles, and even sandwiches out of waffles. The menu itself was pretty overwhelming and I was having the worst time deciding, but I eventually decided on a sweet one…are you really surprised though? Winking smile

I love how they’re all about the locally sourced items.

While we waited for our waffles, I also ordered myself a specialty coffee called the “Cinnamon Bun,” which was made with white chocolate syrup, caramel syrup, and cinnamon. The thing seriously smelled, and tasted, like a cinnamon bun. SO good.

It probably took less than 10 minutes before our waffles arrived…and boy, was it a thing of beauty!

I ordered the Apple Crisp Waffle, which came with caramelized apples, crunchy crisp topping, caramel, and whipped topping (which tasted homemade).

The thing tasted just like apple crisp and was a delicious change from the usual breakfast rotations. This thing was definitely a treat, as if you couldn’t tell by the photo, but it was worth every last bite (and is certainly putting this morning’s bowl of honey nut Cheerios to shame).

I’m hoping to get Jay up there with me another time soon so I can try one of their savory waffles, because they all sounded incredible too…and you guys know I love me some waffles. Winking smile

Plans for today include a little more work around the house, grocery shopping, possibly some Christmas shopping, some cookie baking, and making a batch of Turkey & Veggie soup with my leftover Thanksgiving turkey. It’s one of our favorites over here!

What does everyone else have going on today??

1 Alicia November 25, 2012 at 9:44 am

Ooo I have been there. It was awesome! I need to go back!
Alicia recently posted..Autumn- By the Numbers

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 25, 2012 at 9:51 am

That waffle seriously looks AMAZING!!!

I’m spending my day relaxing. I have a few errands to run and a plan to meet a friend for some coffee but otherwise, I’m taking it easy!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Medicine Ball Abs

3 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries November 25, 2012 at 9:54 am

Wow, I’d definitely say waffle heaven! Yum!

We have church this morning, a Costco run, laundry (blah!), and some Christmas decorating to get to this evening!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..A Day of Thanks

4 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 25, 2012 at 9:56 am

Ohh, I need one of those places around here. Nothing but waffles? That’s amazing!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Christmas Dance Party.

5 Candice November 25, 2012 at 9:57 am

YUM!! Court, that looks sooooo amazing! That is awesome you plan with friends. Time goes by SOOOO fast.. We always see my husbands friends and wives but never my friends.. Don’t know why? I need to make a better effort I guess! :)
Candice recently posted..Thanksgiving 2012

6 Danielle November 25, 2012 at 9:59 am

That waffle looks so good! I would’ve definitely got the same one! It is the perfect fall breakfast treat!

7 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third November 25, 2012 at 10:07 am

Wow. That is exactly what I need for breakfast right now.
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..First Trimester in review.

8 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 25, 2012 at 10:25 am

OMG yum!!! Heavenly!

My husband and I are hitting up our local BJ’s today… love a little bulk shopping trip!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Thanksgiving 2012

9 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 25, 2012 at 10:26 am

That waffle looks amazing!! Please tell me they have some with chocolate, peanut butter, and or pumpkin!!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Roasted Roma Tomato and Avocado Salad

10 Kelsey November 25, 2012 at 10:43 am

I do believe that the roaster they use us the same place Flavour gets their beans too! Vaguely remember being told this during a chat with Joe.

11 Danica @ It's Progression November 25, 2012 at 10:50 am

That’d be so fun to have monthly food dates to catch up!
My major plans for the day include reorganizing my kitchen (my husband just built a new pantry!) and setting up Christmas decorations!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..workouts 11/18 – 11/24

12 lyric November 25, 2012 at 11:07 am

cleaning cleaning and more cleaning!
lyric recently posted..Fall Fashion and Fall Food

13 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers November 25, 2012 at 11:17 am

That place looks amazing and the coffee, oh my gosh sounds amazing!!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Pepper Jelly / Weekly Recap

14 Blog is the New Black November 25, 2012 at 11:21 am

Now I NEED a waffle for bfast! ;)

15 Jen N. November 25, 2012 at 11:44 am

Next time you go, get a side of their home fries. They are unbelievably good!

16 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 25, 2012 at 11:53 am

That waffle looks amazing! Definitely a treat :)
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..It’s The Most Wonderful Time Of The Year!

17 Sarah November 25, 2012 at 12:38 pm

Ohhh wow that waffle place looks AMAZING! I’ve been craving waffles big time lately, I’m thinking of making them for dinner tomorrow night :)
Sarah recently posted..Can’t get enough of those miles

18 Shannon November 25, 2012 at 12:44 pm

Now I really want a waffle! I have heard of the Iron Roost before, but I didn’t know the restaurant served only waffles. I’ll have to check it out sometime when I’m in Ballston Spa. Thanks for sharing.

Hope you had a great weekend.

19 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 25, 2012 at 12:46 pm

Just like apple crisp? Aaaah that sounds amazing. I’m actually hoping to get some baking done today and now I’m craving some apples so I might have to look into making a crisp or pie of my own. Other than that, the plan for today includes a coffee date and dinner at my parents’. Hope you’re having a great Sunday!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... let’s play 20 [health] questions .

20 Haley @ The Saucy Apple November 25, 2012 at 1:04 pm

Holy Cinnamon! That waffle is SERIOUS!
Haley @ The Saucy Apple recently posted..Thanksgiving 2012

21 Alison November 25, 2012 at 1:43 pm

Oh my goodness that sounds amazing! The other items on their menu also look deeeelicious.

22 kim@hungryhealthygirl November 25, 2012 at 2:20 pm

That waffle looks like one of the most amazing foods I’ve ever seen…wowsers! I love me some waffles, too!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..What I Ate Thanksgiving Edition

23 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 25, 2012 at 2:42 pm

No were does waffles in Ireland…ok maybe thats an exaggeration but I’m yet to come across them! They’re not common place! I need to get a waffle iron so I can do some experimenting! They look AMAZING!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Chunky monkey pancakes!

24 Aly Casals November 25, 2012 at 3:41 pm

oh wow, that waffle looks delicious. I hope my sister and I have the chance to check out that lovely spot sometime. :]
Aly Casals recently posted..Happy Sunday!

25 Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny November 25, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Man those look WONDERFUL! I have recently been introduced to the ‘heaven’ that is waffles and I am now wishing I was closer to NY to try that place! Your so mean living so far away from me (j/k)!
Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny recently posted..Stocking Stuffers Anyone?

26 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets November 25, 2012 at 5:36 pm

OMG. I need to go there! I love me some waffles, too :)
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..i’m baaaack

27 Katie November 25, 2012 at 7:28 pm

That place is great. Definitely try the chicken salad next time if you stop by for lunch! It’s on a very thin savory waffle. Delicious.

28 Lauren November 25, 2012 at 8:37 pm

Oh my goodness! What a great little find. I wish we had more fantastic little breakfast spots in my neck of the woods.
Lauren recently posted..What I’m Loving {Christmas List Edition}

29 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian November 25, 2012 at 9:44 pm

Going back to college today to finish off the semester. Break was too short!
Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian recently posted..Over-Ambitious

30 Bek @ Crave November 25, 2012 at 10:32 pm

Those waffles look good! I remember having amazing waffles that were sugar free at the markets- the secret ingredient was salt. They were topped with greek yogurt and fruit salad. SAAA good. Waffle Sandwiches? Savoury waffles?! Mind blown! Well today has involved gym and dropping my car off for a service, later tonight I’ve got a class to teach at the gym and a roast dinner!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..A Different Kind Of Grill’d

31 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate November 26, 2012 at 6:49 pm

That is so cool that they specialize in different types of waffles I have never seen anything like that before! Yours definitely looks like a good choice. :-)
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Chocolate Peppermint Pancakes