Lesson Learned: Always Replenish the Purse Snacks

by Courtney on November 29, 2012

Wooo Hooo!! We’ve got over 200 participants in the 2012 Closeout Workout Challenge so far! I loooove it.

Just a quick heads up for those of you already signed up (or thinking about it!)…we’ve now got the official hashtag for this challenge: #closeoutworkout. So use it all during the challenge, or even before the challenge…hey, feel free to hashtag it out until your heart’s content!

******

So, today. Let’s talk about today. You see, on any given day, I could confidently tell you that 99.9% of the time, you will find some sort of food either in my purse or my car. I’m a gal who likes to eat, so I usually try to keep some sort of snacks nearby in case of emergency.

So this morning, I had to head out of the house around 10am to take care of a few things. Well, those few things wound up turning out take a lot longer than expected and when I went into my purse to look for a snack…there was NOTHING. Ohhh, it was terrible.

Finally, around 12:30pm, I had a chance to swing by a Subway and pick something up because had I waited until I got home, I probably would have been missing a few limbs.

At the recommendation of dear hubby, I ordered a six inch Tuscan Chicken Melt on wheat, which was actually pretty good (then again, with my hunger, anything would have been good). I got mine with lettuce, tomatoes, onions, and banana peppers. Yummm.

I opened that bad boy up as soon as I got back in the car and proceeded to scarf it down right in the parking lot. No shame.

Lesson Learned: ALWAYS replenish the purse snacks as soon as they run out.

By the time I got home, I had a few other tasks to take care of and never got a chance to make it to the ‘ol computer until now. Today TOTALLY flew by…anyone else??

Around 3:30, I was hungry again so I snacked on a clementine and an apple cinnamon Chobani.

IMG_8923IMG_8922

Always delicious. Smile

I actually ate my CHO while I waited for a quick batch of cookies I whipped up to come out of the oven. Check these babies out.

They were suuuuper simple to make, but we’ll see how they turn out. If they pass my taste test in about, ohh, 30 seconds, then they’ll be joining me and Jay tonight when we head over to Sarah & Jeff’s for dinner.

Now, if you’ll excuse me…I have a cookie to go taste test. Winking smile

Question for the Afternoon:

Do you usually keep food/snacks in special places in case hunger strikes? (i.e., desk at work, purse, car, etc.)

1 Lisa November 29, 2012 at 4:27 pm

I’m excited for the challenge! Yep, I’m with you in always keeping food in the car or purse. I always regret it if I don’t replenish right away because I often forget to stock it back up otherwise. And I don’t think people would like me when I’m hungry;)
Lisa recently posted..Don’t Lose Sight

2 Amanda November 29, 2012 at 4:34 pm

ALWAYS carry extra snacks. Have an entire cabinet at work devoted to healthy and some unhealthy snacks for when the hunger strikes. I am the WORST hungry person EVER.

3 Joanna @ Running Places November 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Yes! Larabars are my go-to for purse and desk snacks. But I’ve been trying to remember to pack an apple or banana so I’m snacking on actual fruit habitually and just keeping Larabars around for a pinch.
Joanna @ Running Places recently posted..#OperationPantsFit Wrap-up: 5lbs Lost

4 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes November 29, 2012 at 4:36 pm

My friends know me as the girl who always keeps almonds in her purse. No shame! ;)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..The Best Pizza (Crust) Ever

5 Sarah November 29, 2012 at 4:42 pm

I don’t keep snacks in my bag but I really should! I get HANGRY when I don’t have food for a long time.
Sarah recently posted..My Hour of Power

6 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake November 29, 2012 at 4:43 pm

Yes! I keep snacks on hand at all times. I do NOT like to go hungry! ;-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW – My Last Day Off

7 Ashley @ My Food 'N' Fitness Diaries November 29, 2012 at 4:47 pm

Oh yes, I almost always have snacks with me for those “just in case” moments. It’s not a pretty sight when I’m hungry with no food around! ;) That Subway sandwich sounds so good! I haven’t tried that one before.

8 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance November 29, 2012 at 4:52 pm

For sure! My friends joke that if they ever get stuck in a deserted island, they hope it’s with me. They know I’ll be well stocked with food. lol. I always keep almonds, pistachios and dark chocolate in my purse. :)
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Sweet Potato Chips

9 rachel November 29, 2012 at 4:56 pm

I actually don’t keep food in my purse lol always water thou I think I don’t keep food because ill feel the need to eat it when I’m not hungry lol
rachel recently posted..Tree Diving + Favorite Mugs

10 Shannon November 29, 2012 at 4:56 pm

No, I usually don’t carry food with me. I probably should start doing that in case I don’t have enough money for bake sales after school.

11 Lauren November 29, 2012 at 4:57 pm

That happened to me a few weeks ago. Like you, there is ALWAYS a granola bar in my purse at the very least, but sadly, when I went to grab one the other day in the middle of a shopping spree, I felt nothing but the bottom of my purse. It was awful. Thankfully, there was a Starbucks nearby so a coffee and some almonds did the trick.
Lauren recently posted..The Season for Soup

12 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 29, 2012 at 4:58 pm

Oh girl I canNOT leave the house without making sure that I have some kind of food with me. Actually, the majority of stuff I carry in my purse is probably edible :lol: I get super cranky when I get hungry and I’d rather not unleash that beast on any poor, innocent victims.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … what portion control? .

13 Elaine November 29, 2012 at 4:58 pm

I always have to keep snacks with me! I get a bad case of hanger if I don’t. :)
Elaine recently posted..Grammy’s Creamy Cheesecake

14 Angela @ Beauty in Strength November 29, 2012 at 5:09 pm

LARA Bars and almonds are my go to…protein, complex carbs, and fat to keep me going. :)
Angela @ Beauty in Strength recently posted..WIAW #3

15 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 29, 2012 at 5:12 pm

I never leave the house without food! I’m vegan and can’t eat wheat or gluten so finding something while I’m out is usually a nightmare! Is it the hunger that gets to you or do you feel light headed and what not? People who feel extremely irritable, light headed and hungry generally suffer from poor blood sugar regulation.
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A complete convert

16 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom November 29, 2012 at 5:14 pm

I NEVER have snacks with me and I always regret it, especially because my two kids get just as grumpy as I do when I am hungry! I need to buy a box of bars or nuts and just keep them in my car for times like that.

Those cookies look GOOD!!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..35 Years Young

17 Brandi November 29, 2012 at 5:16 pm

I alway try to have some sort of snack with me….:)

Recipe please!! :) I made the other cookies (toffee chocolate) and they were amazing!
Brandi recently posted..time of Reflection

18 Alyssa @ fit and fun in third November 29, 2012 at 5:22 pm

I’ve always been crazy about my snacks but now that I’m pregnant I’ve taken my “purse snacks” to a whole new level. I ALWAYS have something on hand… Almonds, fruit, granola bar, cheese stick, etc etc…. Always gotta be prepared! :)
Alyssa @ fit and fun in third recently posted..More pregnancy talk: SYMPTOMS

19 kim@hungryhealthygirl November 29, 2012 at 5:26 pm

Always keep snacks in my purse too! We’ve got to keep our energy up right?!?!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..I Promise, Brussels Sprouts are Yummy!

20 Kristen @ notsodomesticated November 29, 2012 at 5:33 pm

I had Subway for the first time in ages the other day, and it reminded me how much I dislike it haha. They put hardly any meat on there … all I tasted was bread! Boo! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Baby Reveal Video and a Recipe

21 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns November 29, 2012 at 5:35 pm

i ALWAYS have something of some kind in my purse, of course i forget to replenish it a lot of the time though lol but am trying harder to make sure i have something, now i’m at about 95% of the time having something in my purse.
i hope the recipe for those cookies makes it in a post ;) they look delish!
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..Trotting it Away

22 Danielle November 29, 2012 at 5:50 pm

those cookies look delicious! recipe please?! :)
Danielle recently posted..LÄRABAR Giveaway

23 Linz @ Itz Linz November 29, 2012 at 6:36 pm

I do always keep food with me and itz the biggest bummer ever when it runs out!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Spicy Roasted Red Pepper Hummus

24 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey November 29, 2012 at 6:41 pm

Aaaaah being without food is the WORST! I typically grab some snacks if I’m going to be out for a while, and I always bring enough food to school for me to have a morning snack and an afternoon snack. It just makes me a better person. ;)
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..just an ordinary day

25 Smile November 29, 2012 at 7:51 pm

Just wait until you’re preggers…….it is a hunger like no other:)

26 michelle kim November 29, 2012 at 8:03 pm

Yup. I usually have granola bars and trail mix on hand. I almost always have some kind of protein or energy bar in my purse!
michelle kim recently posted..What the Click?

27 Stephanie November 29, 2012 at 8:46 pm

Have fun at your dinner party! You have the best of friends where two groups make you dinner back to back!
Stephanie recently posted..Goat Cheese and Asparagus Stuffed Chicken

28 Liz @ Tip Top Shape November 29, 2012 at 8:57 pm

I haven’t had Subway in ages and OH MY WORD does that sandwich look good!!! I just had dinner and that’s making me hungry all over again!
Liz @ Tip Top Shape recently posted..Follow me, Like me, yada yada

29 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 29, 2012 at 9:06 pm

Those cookies look great! I definitely keep snacks in my purse or in the car when I’m out in about. You can’t count on always being able to find something healthy, and I hate being in a position where I have to eat whatever I can find!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..View of the World

30 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction November 29, 2012 at 9:13 pm

I alwaysssssssssssss have snacks! Seriously if hunger strikes and I am going to be at the mall shopping, in traffic, at work and don’t have a snack I will either eat something unhealthy or be in a really bad mood! Sometimes I’ll be shopping and randomly whip an apple or some almonds out of purse! Can be awkward but I have no shame..hahaha
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..My Experience With–ZUMBA

31 Danica @ It's Progression November 29, 2012 at 9:15 pm

I always make sure to bring snacks with me too! One of my friends thinks I’m absolutely nuts when she spots a Larabar or an apple in my purse at the mall haha
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..on His terms

32 Lora @ Crazy Running Girl November 29, 2012 at 9:26 pm

Oh those cookies look so good! I need to do a better job of bringing snacks… I’m always ravishing by the end of the work day and can barely make it home haha.
Lora @ Crazy Running Girl recently posted..SHORTY DON’T WEAR CAPRIS

33 Shelby November 29, 2012 at 9:43 pm

I absolutely hate when that happens- you start to get super hungry, look in your purse and somehow the Luna bar you have been stashing in there got moved to another bag or more likely… was eaten the day before! I always keep a snack with me- a bar of some kind or a piece of fruit. Hope the cookies passed the test! I’m sure they did :)
Shelby recently posted..Guilt-free Blueberry Banana Bread

34 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 29, 2012 at 9:57 pm

I almost always plan out snacks to take with me because I know if I am left without one when hunger strikes then I will revert to eating something that is likely not so healthy. Preparation is key!

I would probably splurge for one of those cookies, though! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Satisfying My Soup Obsession: Roasted Winter Vegetable & Bean Soup

35 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 29, 2012 at 10:37 pm

I absolutely keep purse snacks at all times – I would hate to go hungry! :-p
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Ramblings: Pink Nails and Chopsticks.

36 Naomi November 29, 2012 at 10:53 pm

I just joined the workout challenge! I’m excited :) Also, I hadn’t had apple cinnamon chobani in awhile, but had one this morning. Man, I forgot how delicious it was!

37 dee November 29, 2012 at 11:47 pm

Yes I do! But how appropriate that you wrote this post, because the same thing happened to me today! I was kicking myself for eating my clif bar after class last night and not saving it for a real emergency! I was losing steam in my class and all I found in my purse was a small hard candy that I had since August. It was from my trip to Texas; I picked it up from a restaurant after lunch… Who knows how long it’s been there, but who cares! I needed somethin in my belly!

38 Khushboo November 29, 2012 at 11:57 pm

Wait some people DON’T carry around snacks in their bag?? Cray cray talk!
Khushboo recently posted..My beef with Pinterest

39 Ann November 30, 2012 at 1:21 am

Hey Courtney! Love your blog…but I’m sorry…it’s ol’ not ‘ol!!! The apostrophe is standing in for the missing d!!
(Lol, English degree…can’t help but notice!

40 Courtney November 30, 2012 at 8:32 am

Awwww, shucks. Haha, thanks for the heads up, Ann. I, obviously, was not an English major. ;)

41 Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate November 30, 2012 at 1:25 am

This actually happened to me the other day as well which was crazy because I am practically known for ALWAYS having bars and/or dark chocolate in my purse. :-)
Gina @ Health, Love, and Chocolate recently posted..Mushrooms and Tofu En Papillote

42 Meghan @ After the Ivy League November 30, 2012 at 9:01 am

Those cookies look pretty incredible. And I don’t usually keep snacks in my purse, but I have been known to carry around a jar of peanut butter. Is that weird?
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Thankful Thursday: I’m Thankful for Cookies

43 Claire November 30, 2012 at 12:29 pm

Ha! Totally did the same thing with a Subway chopped salad (so good!) after a longer than expected grocery trip. Those cookies look to die for by the way!!
Claire recently posted..Iron Bowl Recap + 35 Minute Treadmill Workout

44 Jolynn November 30, 2012 at 12:46 pm

YUm! Those cookies look so good! I try to keep almonds with me at all times. Not the lowest in calories but the healthy fats seems to fill me up enough till I can get something more.
Jolynn recently posted..Business Name for $50 GC!

45 Melissa M November 30, 2012 at 12:53 pm

What kind of purse snacks do you guys keep?

46 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets November 30, 2012 at 12:53 pm

Always! I seem to go from full to hungry VERY quickly and then I become all shaky and out of it if I don’t have a snack nearby right away hahah. I always carry nuts + a lara bar around with me in my purse.
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..i’m baaaack

47 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian November 30, 2012 at 1:54 pm

I don’t keep food around, water usually prevents this from being a problem.
Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian recently posted..Tree Lighting 2012

48 Bek @ Crave November 30, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I don’t usually always have snacks in my purse but I’ll pack some if I think I’ll need them. I always over pack food for work too- it’s better to have more than enough then not enough when you’re surrounded by chips, chocolates and lollies!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Christmas Pancakes

49 Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset November 30, 2012 at 7:39 pm

Oh, I ALWAYS have at least 3 different granola bars in my bag, raw nuts etc. They typically help friends and family more than they help me! Ha!
Lauren @The Homeostatic Mindset recently posted..Tuesday Inspiration