I Broke the Streak

Hey hey! Have you signed up for the 2012 Closeout Workout Challenge yet? We get started TOMORROW!!

Okay, so two nights in a row of delicious dinners not made by me? Talk about being on cloud niiiiine.

Jay and I spent the evening last night over at Sarah and Jeff’s house having lots of good laughs. Oh yeah…and pretty darn amazing food too.

We had salad (with lots of avocado chunks in there…yum!), cheesy-garlic breadsticks (oh my gawwwwd),

and homemade Italian Wedding Soup, made entirely by Sarah herself. She’s starting to get so domesticated on me, I can hardly stand it. Winking smile

The soup was incredible, AND we even got leftovers to bring home. Win-win!

So after talking with Sarah last night, I discovered a shocking piece of news: she has never made a batch of cookies from scratch. Not even once (although she does make a killer batch of break and bake cookies!). We got on the topic after I was telling her about the ingredients in the cookies I baked yesterday, and she was surprised to hear that there was baking soda in them…

Eye rolling smile

Oh, I just love her to pieces. Needless to say, after that conversation, I told Sarah we will be having a cookie baking session VERY soon. And as soon as I told her we could include wine, she couldn’t say no. Too funny.

*****

Breakfast

Guess what guys?

I broke the streak.

Four days in a row with waffles and this morning, I just needed a change. So a cereal combo it was, made with honey nut Cheerios, Quaker Oatmeal Squares, bananas, and unsweetened vanilla Silk Pure Almond milk.

Oh man…today is one of those days where I know I have a ton to do, yet I have zero motivation to do any of it. I need somebody to come and kick me into high gear!

Question for the Morning:

Is there any food that you’ve never attempted to bake/cook and are maybe too scared, but would like to?

I’ve always wanted to make my own homemade pasta, but I feel like I just wouldn’t have the patience for it.

Comments

I usually don’t get intimidated by recipes, I’ll try anything. I even made homemade from scratch croissants once (totally worth the effort, although I don’t think I’ll ever try it again!), but I’m with you on the homemade pasta thing. I think someday I’ll try it, but until then, it’s soooo cheap to just buy a box! :)
    Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..LiveFit Trainer Update

For some reason, I have never attempted to cook salmon myself…which is ridiculous, because I love it so much. I always buy it prepared/frozen or just order it if I’m out to dinner. I guess I’m afraid that I’ll dry it out or something?

Mmmm that wedding soup looks incredible!
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..November Foodie Penpals

• Courtney says

I felt that way too, but I’ve discovered it’s ridiculously easy! I like just baking it in the oven…super quick and simple :)

3. Whitney says

Break & Bake all the way! Yay Sarah! :) I don’t have the time to make everything from scratch so convenience/semi-homemade wins out a lot! :)

• Courtney says

Oh, I love me some break and bake cookies! They are actually reeeeally good…and I can’t lie. The dough is pretty good too 😉

You would be the perfect friend to give Sarah a little cookie baking tutorial! Wine included is always a plus too! 😉

I was scared to make soups for the longest time up until about a year ago, and now I can’t stop making them since I realized how incredibly EASY they can be! Currently I would love to try cooking a tofu and/or tempeh dish… I’ve always been so intrigued but have always been too nervous to try it out.
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..New Blog Love

Your breakfast cereal mix looks amazing! I love both of those cereals. I never would’ve thought of mixing cereals, but that’s a really good idea. I’m always afraid to try new recipes that sound too hard, but my husband is not. He has made his own pumpkin gnocchi, which was amazing and creme brulee! They both were a lot easier than I imagined them to be. I just think I don’t have the patience for some recipes though.
    Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Happy first birthday, Beans!

Sarah sounds like an amazing cook, but now I don’t feel so bad about not being much of one myself after hearing that she never baked cookies 😀 I think one of the things that I’d most like to bake but am kind of too afraid to is homemade bread. I’d love to have a fresh warm roast right out of the oven, but working with yeast still intimidates me.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud 8 .

I want to bake a souffle. We went on a Disney cruise last year, and one of the things you got for being a Castaway Club member is a recipe for their Chocolate Souffle with Vanilla sauce. I really want to make it, and even found ramekins to do so, but I have yet to actually make it. I think I’m afraid of it falling and turning out terribly.

Wish I can join in on the cookie party, I could learn how to bake them from scratch as well. I have never made pasta from scratch but have made an apple pie from scratch (including the pie crust). Let’s just say, I went a little too happy with the lemon juice…
    I know what you mean about having LOTS to do today and lacking the motivation…
    Jenn recently posted..#Giving Tuesday

9. Sarah says

Soufflé for me, too! My dad makes the best spinach soufflé and cheese soufflé. Maybe I’ll make a resolution to try making one in 2013!

10. Becky Przy says

That is too funny about never making homemade cookies–she couldn’t have found a better instructor to teach her;-) I remember when my college roommate ‘made’ mashed potatoes out of a box! I never knew they made such a thing. I would love to try making a homemade angel food cake.

Like you, I’d like to try making ravioli one day! I’d stuff it with sweet potatoes, pumpkin and beets (not all in one, of course hahha). It does seem like a lot of work, though! And as many other bloggers have mentioned.. I’d love to try a roast chicken. It seems like too much effort for me though ahahha. No promises 😉
    Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..i’m baaaack

12. eliza says

that soup looks really good! You should get us the recipe.. I am always looking for a healthy (but not too healthy b/c of my fiance) recipe!

I’d love to make a rainbow layer cake, pasta, an icecream cake- so many things! I’d need some more confidence and a willing audience of taste testers I guess. I just don’t want all the leftovers on my hands..cuz then I just HAVE to eat them.
    Bek @ Crave recently posted..Christmas Pancakes