I Broke the Streak

by Courtney on November 30, 2012

Hey hey! Have you signed up for the 2012 Closeout Workout Challenge yet? We get started TOMORROW!!

Okay, so two nights in a row of delicious dinners not made by me? Talk about being on cloud niiiiine.

Jay and I spent the evening last night over at Sarah and Jeff’s house having lots of good laughs. Oh yeah…and pretty darn amazing food too.

We had salad (with lots of avocado chunks in there…yum!), cheesy-garlic breadsticks (oh my gawwwwd),

and homemade Italian Wedding Soup, made entirely by Sarah herself. She’s starting to get so domesticated on me, I can hardly stand it. Winking smile

The soup was incredible, AND we even got leftovers to bring home. Win-win!

So after talking with Sarah last night, I discovered a shocking piece of news: she has never made a batch of cookies from scratch. Not even once (although she does make a killer batch of break and bake cookies!). We got on the topic after I was telling her about the ingredients in the cookies I baked yesterday, and she was surprised to hear that there was baking soda in them…

Eye rolling smile

Oh, I just love her to pieces. Needless to say, after that conversation, I told Sarah we will be having a cookie baking session VERY soon. And as soon as I told her we could include wine, she couldn’t say no. Too funny.

*****

Breakfast

Guess what guys?

I broke the streak.

Four days in a row with waffles and this morning, I just needed a change. So a cereal combo it was, made with honey nut Cheerios, Quaker Oatmeal Squares, bananas, and unsweetened vanilla Silk Pure Almond milk.

Oh man…today is one of those days where I know I have a ton to do, yet I have zero motivation to do any of it. I need somebody to come and kick me into high gear!

Question for the Morning:

Is there any food that you’ve never attempted to bake/cook and are maybe too scared, but would like to?

I’ve always wanted to make my own homemade pasta, but I feel like I just wouldn’t have the patience for it.

1 Lindsey November 30, 2012 at 8:59 am

Yes, homemade pasta or perogies!
Lindsey recently posted..Bad Blogger

2 Natalie @ Free Range Human November 30, 2012 at 9:02 am

Pasta is a good one. I feel that way about homemade pie crusts. I have attempted them from scratch before, but they frustrate the heck out of me so I usually go with pre-made ones.
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..View of the World

3 Megan@funsizedfitness November 30, 2012 at 9:04 am

I’ve always wanted to make homemade meatballs, but have a weird fear of working with raw meat!
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..I’m Baaaaaaaaack!

4 Khushboo November 30, 2012 at 9:07 am

I would love to be able to roast a whole chicken…one day!
Khushboo recently posted..Favorites from the last week of November

5 Kristy @ Kristy's Health Revolution November 30, 2012 at 9:08 am

I usually don’t get intimidated by recipes, I’ll try anything. I even made homemade from scratch croissants once (totally worth the effort, although I don’t think I’ll ever try it again!), but I’m with you on the homemade pasta thing. I think someday I’ll try it, but until then, it’s soooo cheap to just buy a box! :)
Kristy @ Kristy’s Health Revolution recently posted..LiveFit Trainer Update

6 Courtney November 30, 2012 at 10:40 am

That’s how I feel!

7 Angela @ Health's Angel November 30, 2012 at 9:08 am

For some reason, I have never attempted to cook salmon myself…which is ridiculous, because I love it so much. I always buy it prepared/frozen or just order it if I’m out to dinner. I guess I’m afraid that I’ll dry it out or something?

Mmmm that wedding soup looks incredible!
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..November Foodie Penpals

8 Courtney November 30, 2012 at 10:41 am

I felt that way too, but I’ve discovered it’s ridiculously easy! I like just baking it in the oven…super quick and simple :)

9 Carissa November 30, 2012 at 9:13 am

You should totally try making egg noodles sometime. They’re super easy but add an extra special touch to an everyday soup!
Carissa recently posted..5 Minute DIY Candlestick Holders

10 Whitney November 30, 2012 at 9:16 am

Break & Bake all the way! Yay Sarah! :) I don’t have the time to make everything from scratch so convenience/semi-homemade wins out a lot! :)

11 Courtney November 30, 2012 at 10:42 am

Oh, I love me some break and bake cookies! They are actually reeeeally good…and I can’t lie. The dough is pretty good too ;)

12 alyssa - life a la wife November 30, 2012 at 9:30 am

Something I would love to make but seems so difficult are stuffed doughnuts – like the one Jessica made this morning. I need someone to hold my hand while I make them :)
alyssa – life a la wife recently posted..50 Calorie Pumpkin Cookies

13 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries November 30, 2012 at 9:48 am

You would be the perfect friend to give Sarah a little cookie baking tutorial! Wine included is always a plus too! ;)

I was scared to make soups for the longest time up until about a year ago, and now I can’t stop making them since I realized how incredibly EASY they can be! Currently I would love to try cooking a tofu and/or tempeh dish… I’ve always been so intrigued but have always been too nervous to try it out.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..New Blog Love

14 @stephcherkezian November 30, 2012 at 9:53 am

That soup looks amazing! Can Sarah share the recipe please?

15 Amara November 30, 2012 at 9:54 am

Kale – I just don’t know what to do with it, how to buy it, how to prepare it….

16 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl November 30, 2012 at 9:55 am

Hey, you have to admit…there are some pretty good break and bake cookies out there! ;)

I have always been afraid to make my own bread and/or pizza dough. Something about the whole yeast rising process just intimidates me!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Satisfying My Soup Obsession: Roasted Winter Vegetable & Bean Soup

17 Courtney November 30, 2012 at 10:43 am

Oh there absolutely is! I’m not knockin’ break & bakes at ALL. ;)

18 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections November 30, 2012 at 10:15 am

Your breakfast cereal mix looks amazing! I love both of those cereals. I never would’ve thought of mixing cereals, but that’s a really good idea. I’m always afraid to try new recipes that sound too hard, but my husband is not. He has made his own pumpkin gnocchi, which was amazing and creme brulee! They both were a lot easier than I imagined them to be. I just think I don’t have the patience for some recipes though.
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Happy first birthday, Beans!

19 Katie November 30, 2012 at 10:22 am

I’ve always wanted to make homemade noodles and a fruit pie–not together though. I’ve made pudding-based pies, but it’s just not the same.
Katie recently posted..My Fitness Christmas List

20 Amanda @ .running with spoons. November 30, 2012 at 10:26 am

Sarah sounds like an amazing cook, but now I don’t feel so bad about not being much of one myself after hearing that she never baked cookies :D I think one of the things that I’d most like to bake but am kind of too afraid to is homemade bread. I’d love to have a fresh warm roast right out of the oven, but working with yeast still intimidates me.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud 8 .

21 Beks November 30, 2012 at 10:28 am

I want to bake a souffle. We went on a Disney cruise last year, and one of the things you got for being a Castaway Club member is a recipe for their Chocolate Souffle with Vanilla sauce. I really want to make it, and even found ramekins to do so, but I have yet to actually make it. I think I’m afraid of it falling and turning out terribly.

22 Courtney November 30, 2012 at 10:44 am

That sounds SO good…

23 Brandi November 30, 2012 at 10:41 am

I think that Italian Wedding soup is my favorite kind of soup. :) It looks delicious!

24 michelle kim November 30, 2012 at 10:42 am

Homemade meatballs, pizza dough, marinara sauce…
I think it’s more about being lazy than scared about making these things. It’s just easier to buy it already made than to get every ingredient to make it myself.
michelle kim recently posted..I Did Three Awesome Chin-ups

25 Jenn November 30, 2012 at 10:45 am

Wish I can join in on the cookie party, I could learn how to bake them from scratch as well. I have never made pasta from scratch but have made an apple pie from scratch (including the pie crust). Let’s just say, I went a little too happy with the lemon juice…
I know what you mean about having LOTS to do today and lacking the motivation…
Jenn recently posted..#Giving Tuesday

26 Rachel S. November 30, 2012 at 10:47 am

For the life of me I cannot make icing, and I have resigned myself to that fact so I just buy.

27 Sarah November 30, 2012 at 11:02 am

Soufflé for me, too! My dad makes the best spinach soufflé and cheese soufflé. Maybe I’ll make a resolution to try making one in 2013!

28 Rachel November 30, 2012 at 11:02 am

I’ve always wanted to make scones, but just haven’t gotten around to doing it lol
Rachel recently posted..Beautiful Blogger

29 Emily November 30, 2012 at 11:16 am

I wish I could make perfectly flaky and buttery biscuits and pie crust! And I’ve always wanted to make gnocchi.
Emily recently posted..Happy Friday!

30 Meghan @ After the Ivy League November 30, 2012 at 11:19 am

I’m lacking motivation too today, and if I don’t get my work done, I might be stuck in the office on Saturday. Gahhh what’s wrong with me. I gotta work!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Thankful Thursday: I’m Thankful for Cookies

31 Becky Przy November 30, 2012 at 11:32 am

That is too funny about never making homemade cookies–she couldn’t have found a better instructor to teach her;-) I remember when my college roommate ‘made’ mashed potatoes out of a box! I never knew they made such a thing. I would love to try making a homemade angel food cake.

32 Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete November 30, 2012 at 11:51 am

I keep seeing so many posts on recipes for brusselsprouts, but I’m scared to try them! I’m convinced I won’t like them at all but I’m not sure why haha
Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete recently posted..My name is Pauli

33 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries November 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm

I’ve never made a cake from scratch – I’m married to the boxed mixes! I’m afraid if I try it from scratch, I’ll mess up and end up pissed off. BUT, if I try your baking + wine method, at least if I mess up, I’ll be drunk and won’t care ;)
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..Fitness Friday: A Laid Back Approach

34 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire November 30, 2012 at 12:11 pm

I’ve always wanted to roast a chicken, but I’m so scared! I see other bloggers doing it with ease, but for some reason, I’m terrified.

35 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets November 30, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Like you, I’d like to try making ravioli one day! I’d stuff it with sweet potatoes, pumpkin and beets (not all in one, of course hahha). It does seem like a lot of work, though! And as many other bloggers have mentioned.. I’d love to try a roast chicken. It seems like too much effort for me though ahahha. No promises ;)
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..i’m baaaack

36 Ashlee November 30, 2012 at 12:57 pm

I’ve always wanted to make homemade risotto, but I’ve heard it is so time consuming! I just don’t want my arm to fall off from all of that stirring ;-)
Ashlee recently posted..2 Christmas Projects + Sunbutter + Chorizo Tacos!!

37 Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit November 30, 2012 at 1:08 pm

A baking session sounds really fun! :D I’m not much of a baker, so there’s a ton of desserts and treats I’ve never tried to make from scratch. I guess I like to keep it simple when it comes to cooking & baking. The good thing is that simple doesn’t mean it’s not delicious. ;)
Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit recently posted..Healthy, Lemony Fish Piccata Recipe

38 eliza November 30, 2012 at 1:18 pm

that soup looks really good! You should get us the recipe.. I am always looking for a healthy (but not too healthy b/c of my fiance) recipe!

39 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles November 30, 2012 at 1:36 pm

I’d love to do homemade perogies sometime, but the thought it pretty intimidating. I’ve only ever baked yeast bread from scratch once, I wouldn’t mind giving that another shot!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Taco Night Makes Life Better.

40 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian November 30, 2012 at 1:48 pm

I have actually made homemade pasta before by hand and it was sure time-consuming as I turned it into raviolis!
Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian recently posted..Tree Lighting 2012

41 Emily T. November 30, 2012 at 2:07 pm

I’m pretty intimidated by the thought of making my own pasta, or anything having to do with meat outside the realm of chicken breast and ground beef. Anything else, I’ll try to make with no hesitation!
Emily T. recently posted..Thankful Thursday: Recharging

42 Michelle@Peachy Palate November 30, 2012 at 2:40 pm

You should make gnocchi! So much easier and quicker than pasta but with all the joy of pasta! Really easy to flavour up with your favourite cheese and herbs!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A hunk of a cake

43 Lydia November 30, 2012 at 2:51 pm

Can’t wait to see the cookies you two make!!
Lydia recently posted..Awesome December Challenge!

44 Nicole@ livingthesweetlifestl.wordpress.com November 30, 2012 at 2:56 pm

I would have to say pasta as well…It looks so easy when they show people making on tv…but everything normally does.
Nicole@ livingthesweetlifestl.wordpress.com recently posted..Foodie Pen Pal

45 Shannon November 30, 2012 at 4:09 pm

Homemade mainara sauce. It tastes better than Prego, but I’m afraid I’d butcher it. :(

46 Becki (@Fight4Wellness) November 30, 2012 at 4:11 pm

You know, I made cookies that weren’t from scratch for the first time in years the other day and it felt so odd. I love cooking and baking from scratch! I have never made a Creme Brulee even though it is my favorite dessert. I’m afraid of caramelizing the top!
Becki (@Fight4Wellness) recently posted..Ultimate Bootcamp Final Thoughts & Discount!

47 Bek @ Crave November 30, 2012 at 5:40 pm

I’d love to make a rainbow layer cake, pasta, an icecream cake- so many things! I’d need some more confidence and a willing audience of taste testers I guess. I just don’t want all the leftovers on my hands..cuz then I just HAVE to eat them.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Christmas Pancakes

48 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More November 30, 2012 at 8:49 pm

Oh man, I LOVE oatmeal squares. I need to bring them back into my life!
And I believe i see a holiday cookie baking day in your future with your friend. Now if you want some more friends to join, I’ll gladly join for christmas cookie baking and wine! ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Fitness Friday & A Month of Being Thankful!

49 Caileigh November 30, 2012 at 11:23 pm

Oh man, when I first read this title I thought it said ‘I broke the STEAK’ and I just had to click over to find out how you managed to break a piece of red meat.
Booy, guess I should be getting more sleep!
Caileigh recently posted..Ontario University Fair 2012

50 Sam December 1, 2012 at 12:39 am

I joined he challenge!!’ sounds fun!’ that soup looks delish! There are actually a lot of things I have never baked from scratch but would love to!! I should get on it!
Sam recently posted..Chicken Parmesan Muffins!