WIAW: Sweet Snackage

by Courtney on December 5, 2012

I can’t believe I took so much time off from participating in WIAW…it’s so much fun!

I noticed that there’s a new theme for WIAW this month…I suppose most of the recipes (or meals) in this post will be on the healthy side. But there is another one down below that certainly is not…you’ll know exactly what I’m talking about when you see it!

Breakfast – 8:30am

As always, you guys have seen this one.

But woweeee was it delicious.

Mid-Morning Snack – 11:00am

I whipped up a quick Cherry Almond Smoothie right after I finished my workout for the day.

The smoothie was incredible and totally worth the cold hands I had afterward, and the workout was pretty great too. I did my sweaty mess walking incline intervals + 100 reps towards my Closeout Workout Challenge. It felt goooood.

Lunch – 1:15pm

I heated up a bowl of butternut squash soup and also added in some broccoli and asparagus left over from Monday night’s dinner. It was a little random, but I liked having the extra bulk in the soup, as well as the added greens.

Along with my soup, I also snacked on one of my current obsessions.

Seriously…these mini saltines? Can’t get enough of ‘em. They are soooooo freakin’ good.

That handful you see there? Ohh, I’d say to go ahead and multiply that by about 10. And no, I’m not kidding.

After lunch I spent the majority of the afternoon working at the computer…sometimes without distractions, and sometimes with some pretty huge distractions.

My big guy just does not care about being in my way. Winking smile

Mid-Afternoon Snackage – 3pm – 4pm

Over the past two days, I’ve been experimenting with a couple of recipes for rice pudding. This is a batch I attempted yesterday, and while it has phenomenal flavor…let’s face it. It looks disgusting.

Even though it didn’t turn out to be the top recipe, you guys know I’m not one to let food go to waste, so I snacked on a few bites of that during the afternoon. I also happened to do a little bit of holiday baking yesterday afternoon…

I recently pinned this recipe for Terribly Terrific Toffee on my Christmas Baking Pinterest board and have been wanting to make it ever since. I picked up the ingredients over the weekend, and took care of making it today.

I’ve had this before, thanks to a friend of mine who made it last year…it’s very similar to my Dark Chocolate Turtle Graham Bars, only it uses saltines instead of graham crackers. It’s like crack, so of course I had to sneak a couple little pieces as I was breaking them up to put away.

Now I just need to keep it out of my sight so I don’t keep going back for it. Winking smile

Dinner – 7:00pm

Both Jay and I were pretty hungry by the time we got around to dinner and didn’t feel like getting into anything too elaborate. I cooked a couple sweet potatoes with my microwave/toaster oven method, heated up a can of green beans (don’t judge, I like ‘em), and cooked up a couple Italian-style chicken breasts from our Omaha Steaks order.

Surprisingly enough, the chicken was actually really good. Neither of us were expecting too much from the frozen chicken breasts, but we were both pleasantly surprised.

After-Dinner Snack – 9:00ish

While we were finishing up The Voice (I can’t believe Amanda got voted off?!?!) and starting up New Girl (I just love Schmidt) I couldn’t help but raid the fridge…

A couple small pieces of the toffee and a piece of white chocolate cranberry candy crunch. Mmmmm, they were awesome…almost as awesome as my bleach-stained sweatpants.

There we go…another WIAW in the books! Have a great Wednesday, everyone! Smile

1 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat December 5, 2012 at 8:22 am

With so many delicious treats to snack on, I don’t blame you!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Marvelous Weekend Recap

2 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope December 5, 2012 at 8:26 am

All of the food in this post looks great! Those toffee bars look really good. :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Oreo Cookie Truffles!…

3 Faith December 5, 2012 at 8:31 am

No shame on the canned green beans. I like the canned ones so much better than the fresh ones, it’s not even funny. Sooooo soft and good. Any hey – a vegetable is still a vegetable!

4 Sienna December 5, 2012 at 10:00 am

I’m with you, I love canned green beans! Maybe it’s all the salt but still, they are easy, green, and delicious!

5 Michelle@Peachy Palate December 5, 2012 at 8:34 am

Delicious day of eats! Love that you’re taking part in WIAW! Smoothie is one of my favourite combo’s though not a cherry in sight at the moment in Ireland!

6 Megan@funsizedfitness December 5, 2012 at 8:37 am

Aren’t cats so funny?! My mom’s sleep on her laptop all.of.the.time!
Megan@funsizedfitness recently posted..Cute Picture Alert!

7 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire December 5, 2012 at 8:44 am

Ohhhhhhhhh man. I LOVE saltine bark candy-my mom makes it all the time and it’s the all-time most addictive candy, ever. I always forget about how much I love it until I see it again. I have to make this asap!

8 chelcie @ chelcie's food files December 5, 2012 at 8:48 am

I love new girl…and that toffee crunch sounds SO good! I’m obsessed with sweet and salty combinations!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Tis the Season

9 Angela @ Health's Angel December 5, 2012 at 8:50 am

Call me an 80 year-old lady, but I love rice pudding! I hope you can share the recipe with us once it’s perfected. I’d never be able to keep my hands out of those treats, too. ;)
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Vinyasa Flow, You’ve Got A New Fan

10 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 5, 2012 at 8:52 am

I knew Melanie was going to go but I really expected Terry to go as well so when he was the first to stay, I had a feeling it was going to be Amanda, though I think she really kicked butt Monday night.
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..WIAW // Cranberry Sauce Bonanza!

11 Stephanie @ Steph's Miles December 5, 2012 at 8:58 am

T

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 5, 2012 at 8:58 am

Those toffee bars look so tasty!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW #13–The Week of Holiday Meals.

13 Stephanie @ Steph's Miles December 5, 2012 at 8:59 am

The goodies from Omaha steaks are pretty good! I liked the baked potatoes with cheese.
Stephanie @ Steph’s Miles recently posted..Starting a Healthy Holiday with Breakfast

14 Melanie December 5, 2012 at 9:05 am

Those bars look great! I think a little treat is fine on a daily basis!
Melanie recently posted..Cauliflower Pizza Crust

15 Katie December 5, 2012 at 9:11 am

ohhhh nooooo Why did I have to see those mini saltines!? I didn’t know they even made those!
Katie recently posted..Women Lift Too

16 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 5, 2012 at 9:11 am

A great day of eats! I’ve got to try that butternut soup. It looks yummy!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..30 Before 30

17 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots December 5, 2012 at 9:28 am

I made rice pudding for the first time last yr and lovedd it!! here is the recipe I used http://forloveofcarrots.com/?p=954. Please dont judge my horrid pictures it was before I had a nice camera and new what picasa was!
Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted..Kinder Chocolate Cookies

18 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl December 5, 2012 at 9:28 am

I seriously cannot get over how cute those mini saltine crackers are! Every time that you post about them I smile/chuckle a bit :) …I’m a dork!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Refried Bean Baked Quesadillas

19 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian December 5, 2012 at 9:34 am

My cat loves to sit ON the keyboard of my laptop for the heat, leaving me with fur in the keyboard (and sometimes he holds down the shift key too long and puts it into some mode that I can never figure out how to undo without restarting)…you are lucky that Cody just sits in front!
Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian recently posted..Overnight Oats with a Twist

20 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 5, 2012 at 9:34 am

I’m actually not a huge toffee person, but the toffee you made sounds so good with those saltines added in there for a little sweet ‘n salty combo! Yum!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #63: Meals By Number

21 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections December 5, 2012 at 9:44 am

Your dinner looks great! And don’t be ashamed – I LOVE canned green beans. I eat them all the time :)
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Daily Imperfection: Out of Whack Back

22 Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 5, 2012 at 9:44 am

There’s something about the combination of soup and saltines that make it one of the best meals ever – so simple, but so good. And it’s the same way with Rice Krispie squares. Even with all of the delicious fancy desserts out there, I swear those cereal and marshmallow squares are one of my favorite things.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... treadmill trouble .

23 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie December 5, 2012 at 9:45 am

Holy cow, that toffee looks great! I like canned green beans too :)
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Spicy Crock Pot Chicken Chili

24 Megan December 5, 2012 at 9:52 am

I was so upset Amanda got voted off! I saw Melanie coming a mile away but Amanda has such a strong, beautiful voice – sad time :/

25 Meghan @ After the Ivy League December 5, 2012 at 10:05 am

I saw a recipe for those chocolate covered saltine crackers on pinterest the other day, and holy crap. I need to make those. Sweet and salty is the best combination ever!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #14: Brinner

26 Beks December 5, 2012 at 10:08 am

I work at Bath & Body Works, and right now, we’re selling these 3-Wick candles with an ornament sticker on top, and under the ornament sticker is a recipe for the food that the candle is based on (Peppermint Mocha, Merry Cookie, Cinnamon Frosting, Toffee Crunch, Twisted Peppermint, Gingerbread). Our supervisor made the cupcakes and frosting from the Cinnamon Frosting recipe and it was really good. I bought the Toffee Crunch candle last night for a part we’re having next week. My mom said we might need to actually make the toffee. :-)

I love December.
Beks recently posted..My First Giveaway!

27 Sarah December 5, 2012 at 10:25 am

Your dinner looks exactly like what I eat every single night. No judgement hear about the green beans, I eat them frozen :)
Sarah recently posted..(almost) Wordless Wednesday?

28 Michelle @ Eat Move Balance December 5, 2012 at 10:31 am

I didn’t know they made mini-saltines! They’re so cute–and perfect for soup. Can’t wait to get my hands on some.
Michelle @ Eat Move Balance recently posted..Holiday Snack: In-Shell Mixed Nuts

29 Julie December 5, 2012 at 10:33 am

Wow, those desserts look great! I need something for a holiday party on Friday, and I think I might make your dessert. Thanks for sharing :)
Julie recently posted..WIAW [What I Ate Wednesday]: 12.5.2012

30 Emily December 5, 2012 at 10:39 am

If I had that delicious candy in my refrigerator, I’d be grabbing handfuls all day long!
Emily recently posted..Breakfast repeat

31 michelle kim December 5, 2012 at 10:46 am

Dang that sweet potato looks awesome (hahaha of all the chocolates and stuff, I’m still intrigued by the sweet potato). Love the balance of healthy foods and small bits of indulgences!
michelle kim recently posted..The Worst Easy 3-Miler Ever

32 kim@hungryhealthygirl December 5, 2012 at 11:01 am

I did your sweaty mess workout just the other day and yes, I was a sweaty mess afterward. Those inclines are killer. Those mini saltines are too cute….my kiddos would love them. I agree with you WIAW is fun!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..WIAW {a day in the life}

33 Rachel December 5, 2012 at 11:10 am

omg I’m the same with crackers lol I feel once I start there’s not stopping me
Rachel recently posted..Becoming a Big Girl

34 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 5, 2012 at 11:20 am

Lots of good eats!! The toffee looks delish! That would be so dangerous around me!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..White Chocolate Peppermint Mocha Cookies

35 Lyric December 5, 2012 at 11:27 am

I love making a “skor” bar which is almost identical to those toffee bars, adding saltines kind of freaks me out..
Lyric recently posted..Now Hiring and Italy would be dissapointed

36 Ashlee December 5, 2012 at 11:38 am

I looked for the mini saltines and can’t find them anywhere :-( Seems like we’re always a little behind in Texas haha.

That toffee looks amazing!
Ashlee recently posted..Daaaaaamn Girl

37 Em December 5, 2012 at 12:16 pm

I am with you on the Voice — so disappointed!
Em recently posted..Pumpkin Chocolate Chip Loaf

38 Khushboo December 5, 2012 at 12:18 pm

Never tried canned beans but I don’t doubt you- I loove canned mushrooms :)
Khushboo recently posted..Happy landings

39 Danielle December 5, 2012 at 12:20 pm

All of these Christmas baking recipes look so good! And so easy to make. Which is good and bad! Bad because I want to eat them ALL
Danielle recently posted..December Workout Schedule

40 Annette@FitnessPerks December 5, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I need toffee. Badly. That sounds so good during this season!!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Embrace The Holiday Season

41 Molly @ Happy&Healthy December 5, 2012 at 1:10 pm

That cherry smoothie looks so good, I’ll need to remember that! I am so jealous of all your baking you’ve been doing, everything looks great and baking can be so relaxing!
Molly @ Happy&Healthy recently posted..These are a few of my favorite things…

42 jordan @ thedancingdonut December 5, 2012 at 1:29 pm

we make that saltine toffee thing every year and it’s soooo tasty!

my new addiction isn’t saltines, but ritz crackers. someone brought them over on thanksgiving for a dip and we had so many leftover, yet somehow they didn’t last more than three days…
jordan @ thedancingdonut recently posted..DIY: tj’s paper bag garland. [happy holidays]

43 Alysia @ Slim Sanity December 5, 2012 at 2:05 pm

My grandma always makes a toffee with saltines. so good!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..WIAW #30: some old some new

44 Katrina December 5, 2012 at 2:15 pm

Old-Fashioned Rice Pudding Recipe:
3 1/2 cups milk
1/2 cup uncooked long grain rice
1/3 cup sugar
1 tsp vanilla extract
Ground cinnamon, optional

In a saucepan, combine milk, rice and sugar; bring to a boil over medium heat, stirring constantly. Pour into a greased 1 1/2-qt baking dish. Cover and bake at 325 for 45 minutes, stirring every 15 minutes. Add vanilla; cover and bake 15 more minutes. Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired. Serve warm or chilled. Yield: 6 servings

45 Grace @ Practicing Grace December 5, 2012 at 5:29 pm

That saltine brittle is such a great holiday treat. I always associate with Christmas!! Oh and the salt and chocolate are crazy addicting ha

46 Trudy December 5, 2012 at 6:27 pm

Those mini saltines are so cute! But that toffee looks amazing! Along with that white chocolate bark.
I know all about cats getting in the way. George is always there…especially when computers are involved…weirdo haha.
Check him out on my blog if you want :)
Trudy recently posted..Christmas Blogging Challenge!

47 Elizabeth@myneonrunningshoes December 5, 2012 at 7:36 pm

Haha I love canned green beans… no judgment here ;-) Toffee is my favorite!
Elizabeth@myneonrunningshoes recently posted..If you are a human you should try this

48 Bek @ Crave December 5, 2012 at 11:21 pm

Looks like a perfectly healthy day to me- I mean healthy is all about balance and moderation right ;)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Confessing My Undying Love For Les Mills

49 Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog December 6, 2012 at 4:11 pm

Homemade toffee?!? Love it!! Sounds so good – toffee is one of my favorite sweet treats. I always get it on my frozen yogurt.
Dana @ Conscious Kitchen Blog recently posted..On Gratitude