My Christmas Survey

by Courtney on December 11, 2012

You guys know me…I looooove me some fun surveys! I’ve seen this one floating around on a few blogs, and after reading it this morning on Holly’s blog, I figured I’d take a shot at it. Besides, I’m already in quite the festive mood after finishing up some Christmas wrapping!

1. Favorite Christmas Album/CD/Song? I actually have three: Mannheim Steamroller, Mariah Carey Christmas, and Tran Siberian Orchestra. All three of them have been playing in my car since Black Friday.

I am so wickedly excited for this Thursday’s TSO concert with mom!!

2. Run on Christmas morning or take the day off? Umm, no running for me. Even in the past, when exercise was an unhealthy obsession, I’m pretty sure Christmas morning has always been about cozy pajamas, opening presents, and eating a yummy breakfast.

3. What do you usually eat on Christmas morning? Speak of the devil…my family has been enjoying the same yummy breakfast for quite a few years now. The breakfast first started out as an Easter brunch tradition, after I received the recipes from my 7th grade Home & Careers class. I’m not quite sure when the tradition made its way to Christmas, but I love it.

Overnight French Toast & Egg Strata

And mimosas, of course. Winking smile

4. Favorite holiday or Christmas tradition? This is a tough one, because I feel like some of our traditions have changed as the years have gone on. When I was little, we had traditions like being able to open one present on Christmas Eve Eve (yes, it’s such a thing), or my brother and I waiting patiently at the top of the stairs for our dad to set up the video camera.

Now that both my brother and I are moved out on our own, I feel like it’s very possible that we’ll be starting some new traditions in the years to come. That, to me, is exciting!

5. Real tree, fake tree or no tree? Fake tree. I always grew up with a fake tree, so I guess that’s what I’m used to. Plus, you can’t beat the falling pine needles!

I do, however, love the smell of a fresh cut tree…but that’s what candles are for. Winking smile

6. Christmas pajamas… yay or nay? I never really used to get in to the whole Christmas pj’s thing, but last year I did wind up buying this shirt (I think from Old Navy?) and thought it was pretty cute.

I’ll be sporting that again this year, I’m sure.

7. Where do you spend the holidays? Jay and I are both VERY lucky in the sense that both of our families live very close to us. Most of the time, we spend Christmas Eve at his one aunt’s house and then my parents’ house.

On Christmas day, we head to my in-law’s house, then my parents’ house, and then up to Jay’s grandma’s house where we get to see Santa. Winking smile

8. Food that you always have during the holiday season? Favorite Christmas food/treat? Oh man, that’s a tough one. I love all the Christmas cookies that me and mom make, but I also can’t get enough of mom’s Christmas lasagna.

Just looking at the stuff makes me crave it in a baaaad way. Winking smile

9. Open presents all at once or take turns? This actually makes me laugh. All growing up, my brother and I would always take turns…at least we’d try to. But when we were younger, Dan would usually wind up opening his quicker, so when we got down to the end, he’d get all upset because he thought he had less than I did.

Now, we all just have fun taking turns however it happens.

10. Favorite Christmas(ish) movie? I have a few! I’ve said before that I’m a huge fan of National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation, but I also really do love A Christmas Story and Elf…which I think you guys already know.

Awww, now I’m reeeeally getting excited for Christmas!

Now let’s hear from all you guys and gals…feel free to answer any (or all!) of the questions above!

1 Kerry @ Totes My Oats December 11, 2012 at 3:06 pm

I agree… no running and mimosas are a must on Christmas morning! :)
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Tuttorosso Gift Pack Giveaway

2 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat December 11, 2012 at 3:09 pm

Wrapping gifts last night really put me in the Christmas spirit, too!
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..It’s All About Balance

3 Nicki December 11, 2012 at 3:11 pm

Daughter saw TSO the Sunday after Thanksgiving. You and your mom are in for a treat.
Nicki recently posted..Quick and Easy Chili

4 Khushboo December 11, 2012 at 3:13 pm

LOVE Home Alone & Santa Clause!
Khushboo recently posted..The Hindu Dilemma

5 Molly @ Happy&Healthy December 11, 2012 at 3:15 pm

Love this survey! My favorite tradition is opening a present the night before, then driving around to look at christmas lights!
Molly @ Happy&Healthy recently posted..They see me bowling…*

6 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian December 11, 2012 at 3:16 pm

No taking turns with opening presents…everyone all at once (we don’t open any on Christmas Eve Eve).
Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian recently posted..Tabata Workout

7 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 11, 2012 at 3:20 pm

Three cheers for Christmas Vacation! It’s my favorite too!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Some Things To Brag About

8 Angela @ Health's Angel December 11, 2012 at 3:24 pm

I love that wrapping paper of yours! I’m majorly slacking in the getting-ready-for-Christmas department. I have no decorations and nothing is wrapped yet! Time flies…
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Handmade Gifts

9 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction December 11, 2012 at 3:29 pm

Since my family is Italian we have a ton of fish on Christmas Eve. That’s probably my favorite tradition and my favorite Xmas food!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..How to Avoid Holiday Weight Gain

10 Katie December 11, 2012 at 3:51 pm

If I had to pick, I’d probably say A Christmas Story is my favorite movie, but National Lampoon’s Christmas Vacation is a close second. There are just so many awesome Christmas movies!
Katie recently posted..Tasty Tuesday: Almond Oatmeal Cookies

11 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 11, 2012 at 4:10 pm

You’re going to love TSO! I’ve seen them live twice and they’re incredible.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..freEDom: Sam 1, Scale: 0.

12 Marielle December 11, 2012 at 4:12 pm

I finally decorated our tree last night, so now I’m in the Christmas mood! :) mimosas on Christmas morning is definitely going to be happening this year! :)
Marielle recently posted..Winter Fit Workout

13 Sherice@foodieluvsfitness December 11, 2012 at 4:16 pm

my sister and I grew up with the 1 present on Christmas eve too. We still do that in our house w/our kids but I’ve changed it a bit w/me picking the present which is usually new pj’s for Christmas morning and a family movie for Christmas eve.

14 Danica @ It's Progression December 11, 2012 at 4:26 pm

I first noticed how cute that wrapping paper is! I always have to choose a ‘cute’ one :)
The Michael Buble Christmas album and the one by Martina McBride are my favorites :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Coconut Almond Granola {recipe}

15 Danica @ It's Progression December 11, 2012 at 4:30 pm

published too soon, so sorry! feel free to delete!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Coconut Almond Granola {recipe}

16 Danica @ It's Progression December 11, 2012 at 4:27 pm

The Michael Buble Christmas album and the one by Martina McBride are my favorites. Both are in my car too!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Coconut Almond Granola {recipe}

17 Linz @ Itz Linz December 11, 2012 at 4:34 pm

I celebrate Chanukah but my favorite tradition is getting together with my family on several of the 8 nights!! Love my family!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Healthy Living Holiday Gift Guide

18 Kaylie December 11, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I love Manheim Steamroller!!! And that breakfast looks soooo good!
Kaylie recently posted..My Honesty at 4AM

19 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl December 11, 2012 at 4:44 pm

That lasagna looks amazing!! I can certainly see why it has become a Christmas tradition in your family!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..The Best Baked Sweet Potato Ever!

20 Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete December 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm

I am going to TSO for the first time in a few weeks and I am SO excited! Hope you & your mom have a great time :)
Molly @ Just Your Average Athlete recently posted..Kittens are cuter than cardio machines

21 Shannon December 11, 2012 at 4:49 pm

1. Favorite Christmas CD/Song/Album? Some of my favorite songs are Silent Night, O Holy Night, What Child is This?, All I want for Christmas is you, Have Yourself a Merry Little Christmas, White Christmas, and It’s the Most Wonderful Time of the Year. Yeah, I have a few too many favorites. :)
2. I count my two times a week gym class as my exercise, so…take the day off.
3. I think we usually have pancakes for breakfast. I can’t even remember. We visit my mom’s side of the family on Christmas Day, so we get up and leave by 11 to get to my Grandma’s house.
4. Now, we open our presents on Christmas Eve. The bad thing is that we don’t have the day to use them because we’re with family all day, but that’s OK.
5. Real tree
6. I don’t have Christmas PJ’s. I just wear my normal pajama shirt and pants (I do have more than one pair of PJ pants and a shirt, don’t worry).
7. Christmas Eve dinner and opening of gifts at home, Christmas Day with my mom’s side of the family
8. Cookies…yum, yum, yum!
9. Open presents all at once
10. It’s a Wonderful Life & Miracle on 34th Street (the old one, not the new one- the new one stinks compared to the original). I do like Elf, but I don’t watch it every year. I’m watching Elf during Writing class as part of my teacher’s “Christmas cheer” gift. :)

22 Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom December 11, 2012 at 5:02 pm

If I could ever get all my shopping done, I could actually start wrapping. It is kind of starting to stress me out!!

As a kid we also opened one gift on Christmas Eve and that is a tradition I have continued with my kids. It is so much fun!!
Suzanne @ Fit Minded Mom recently posted..Christmas Survey

23 Michelle@Peachy Palate December 11, 2012 at 5:10 pm

Christmas Lasagne sounds like a great idea! Christmas PJs all the way. Come do my wrapping, I’m no good at it!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Pastry for one

24 Holly December 11, 2012 at 5:18 pm

Old Navy PJ pants are where it’s at ;)
Umm, so that picture of your Mom’s lasagna just made my stomach growl. Now I have a sleeping baby on my chest & I can’t move to get food…thanks a lot Court….JK! :D
SO jealous of your TSO concert this week…take me too?!
Holly recently posted..One Month

25 Noelle December 11, 2012 at 5:57 pm

My favorite CDs are a John Tesh instrumental Christmas CD, Harry Connick, and Michael Bubble. I always had an artificial tree growing up and still have one so they are my favorite. My grandma always made a pistachio cake with green icing decorated with marashino cherries (green frosting with red cherries) for Christmas for my brother’s and I December birthdays. My mom still carries on this tradition. I remember my grandpa acting like Santa and handing out Christmas presents…one of my best memories and traditions! We spend Christmas day here with our families at our house since we had kids. Easier that way!

26 Blog is the New Black December 11, 2012 at 6:07 pm

Loved reading this! ;)
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Puppy Chow

27 Anna Leeson December 11, 2012 at 6:17 pm

Last year I surprised my mom with TSO tickets for her December 8th birthday. IT WAS AWESOME. The music and light show were amazing, you’ll both love it :)

28 Brittany Peters December 11, 2012 at 7:15 pm

my fav christmas song is Wonderful Christmastime :)
Brittany Peters recently posted..Chocolate Kisses Shake

29 Chele December 11, 2012 at 7:27 pm

Growing up, we always got to open one present on Christmas Eve too!!! Usually it was Christmas pajamas ;) LOL

30 Lauren December 11, 2012 at 7:31 pm

Seriously, who can run on Christmas morning? It would cut into the valuable time of present opening and cinnamon roll eating. :)
Lauren recently posted..Chicken Soup For the Soul

31 Raimie December 11, 2012 at 7:47 pm

Running on Christmas morning would mean a) running in multiple feet of snow usually and b) putting on anything other than pajamas and eating stocking goodies! no thanks :)

ps- I borrowed your idea to put the laughing cow cinnamon cream cheese inside my sweet potato tonight and it was so yummy! definitely gonna happen again!

32 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 11, 2012 at 8:49 pm

We have a Christmas morning brunch every year and it’s definitely one of my favorite things each year. Even the years that I haven’t been able to get home for Christmas, I’ve made sure to make myself an extra special breakfast. But I just realized, our breakfast has been missing mimosas! WHAT?!?!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Burpee Ab Shred

33 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy December 11, 2012 at 10:23 pm

I just prepped this survey in my blog post for tomorrow morning, and then I saw that you posted the same thing :)!
Emily @ Perfection Isn’t Happy recently posted..Why I Go to the Doctor

34 Margie Visnick December 12, 2012 at 11:01 am

I loved the survey! Took it over at my blog, too!
Margie Visnick recently posted..A Christmas Survey

35 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets December 12, 2012 at 12:50 pm

Love this! It got me even more excited for Christmas, which I didn’t think was possible! I agree that running on Christmas day would just be insanity .. it’s all about the relaxing in your jammies and munching on Christmas treats heheh.
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..i’m baaaack

36 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections December 12, 2012 at 12:54 pm

Love this idea! Posted my survey here: http://freeingimperfections.blogspot.com/2012/12/fun-christmas-survey.html
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Fun Christmas Survey

37 Bek @ Crave December 12, 2012 at 9:59 pm

We usually take turns when unwrapping presents. I’m the official gift hander out person haha! thanks for filling us in on your xmas!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Vitarium Products + A Recipe!