Super Soup

Last night, Jay and I had a hot dinner date…

At Panera. Winking smile

I was recently selected by the DailyBuzz Food Tastemaker’s to have the opportunity to sample one of the soups at Panera Bread and share it all with you. I was immediately on board because a) I love sharing my food with you anyways, and b) I’m already a majorly huge fan of Panera’s soups. Win win!

I was literally going back and forth all day long about what kind of soup I wanted to get. I made sure to check their menu online (because their soups change daily, with some of them available every day) to try to get an idea, but it didn’t really help. So indecisive!

By this point in my life, I feel like I’ve tried a pretty big majority of them:

• Low-Fat All-Natural Chicken Noodle – love the big noodles
  • Broccoli Cheddar – amazing; especially in a bread bowl
  • Baked Potato – also amazing in a bread bowl, and was Jay’s soup of choice last night
  • Low-Fat Vegetarian Garden Vegetable with Pesto – I actually liked their original garden vegetable soup a little better than the current, but it’s still good
  • Low-Fat Vegetarian Black Bean – good, but a little spicy(!) for this mild gal

So when it came down to it last night, I wound up making a last minute decision at the counter and went with one I haven’t had in a looooong time…

IMG_0750-001

French Onion, baby. And you guys…I can’t believe I haven’t been getting this more often. The soup literally blew me away – between the asiago croutons, the thick broth with tons of onions, and the gooey cheese on top, it was just amazing.

As usual, when it comes to me and ordering at Panera, I got the soup as part of one of their “You Pick Two” meal choices and paired it with their Roasted Turkey & Avocado BLT.

I’ve been craving a fresh, ripe avocado all week, so when I tell you that I ordered this sandwich solely for the avocado, I’m not even kidding. It was fantastic.

But overall, I’d definitely have to say that the French Onion was my favorite.

That was one super bowl of soup.

I was so hungry by the time we got our food that I pretty much inhaled that meal like a true champ. Granted, I’m still full this morning from it and was uncomfortably stuffed all last night, buuuuuut whatever. It was gooooood.

And I think I’m just now starting to get hungry for breakfast, so it’s time to head to the kitchen and see what I can scrounge up!

Question for the Morning:

Have you ever dined at Panera? What’s your favorite item of theirs?

Disclaimer: As part of the DailyBuzz Healthy Living Program, I received a free gift card and stipend from Panera Bread. All opinions, as always, are entirely my own.

Comments

I love Panera! I used to live off of it in college. I don’t live as close to one anymore, which is unfortunate for my stomach but fortunate for my wallet. I would always get the pick two deal too. In the warmer months, I always go with a salad and sandwich, and in the cooler months I’d opt for soup instead of salad. I honestly love everything I’ve tried on the menu and don’t have a go-to because it’s all so good!

My brother loves the French Onion soup, but I’ve never had it for some reason!? My favorite is the garden vegetable one, definitely. I wish they had it daily, though! I never seem to be at Panera on the days that they serve it…
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Handmade Gifts

I feel like I practically lived at Panera when I was in college. I am in love with their French Onion Soup (It’s really the only one I like), and love to get roast beef with it. Don’t know what it is. Yummy!

I live for Panera! When I first moved to NYC, I was bummed there were no Paneras but now there are at least three in the city.

I could pretty much eat anything from there but my favorite items are the Thai Chopped Chicken Salad and the Sierra Turkey Sandwich.
    Cindy recently posted..Weekly Goals and Workout Plan

I absolutely love Panera!

I used to always get the broccoli cheese soup in a bread bowl until I became a vegetarian (thank goodness they still have soup options for me!) and realized that the bread bowl has about a zillion calories ;). Now I tend to stick with their garden vegetable soup and the Mediterranean veggie sandwich. Both are just so darn delicious!
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: December 12, 2012

The broccoli cheddar in the bread bowl is hands down the best meal at Panera! I used to get it all of the time when my girls and I went there, but ever since I’ve eaten more healthy the past several years, I haven’t had it again. Might just have to treat myself!
    Allie recently posted..12-12-12 What a Perfect Day

I love variety, so I always get the You Pick Two with soup (Chicken and Wild Rice if available) and the Smokehouse Turkey Panini. Whenever I try to switch it up, my meal is never as good as usual. I think it’s a sign. When something tastes that good, why switch?
    Katie recently posted..A Few of My Favorite Things

Panera soup is the BEST. The baked potato soup is to die for.. even if it is a unhealthy indulgence :) I’ve had the chicken noodle too, and I can back up both of them, they’re wonderful!

I don’t know if you know this, but Walmart sells Panera soup in their Deli Section, by the pre-made take and bake pizzas and stuff! Thought you might be interested 😉
    Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..“Burn Off the Holidays” Treadmill Interval Workout

9. Lauren B. says

My favorite item at Panera is definitely the Fuji Apple Chicken Salad- it’s my go-to! And I swear that their bread can’t be beat.

Have i tried panera?!~ Yes, I used to eat there evvvvery day and do my work there too! man if I had the money I still would eat there like at LEAST 1x or 2x a week 😛 Their salads and soups are amazing. However, I’m just not the biggest fan of onion soup in general, but at least panera makes it tasty. My fave soups are chicken noodle, vegetable, and baked potato. :)

11. anne says

Just curious – as everyone here seems to be a huge fan of the French Onion – I’ve always stayed away from that one because it is usually the one that is highest in sodium (and it’s a pretty crazy amount). Anyone else ever worried about the high sodium content of Panera (and most other restaurant) soups?

12. Shannon says

Of course, I have been to Panera Bread before! That is one of my favorite chain restaurants, to be completely honest with you. :)

I usually get either their Mac n Cheese (tastes so, so, so good with the shells + cheese combination), or the Chicken Noodle soup. They’ve changed the recipe to the soup since the last time I had it before the last time I went to Panera Bread. Needless to say, I still enjoy the Chicken Noodle soup.