Figuring Out Workouts

by Courtney on December 18, 2012

I swear…I think I’ve gotten a better workouts these past two days at work then I have in the past week at home. For whatever reason, my workout routine has become a little stale and I’ve just been lacking any desire to do anything. Even walking! Plus, it doesn’t help that my treadmill is currently standing upright in the corner of the basement, but anyways…

These past couple of days though? Great. I’m on the move, constantly up and down stairs, and definitely not stuck at my desk ALL day. I love it…and I’m pretty sure my glutes are appreciating it right now too. I’m sure once I get myself into a bit more of a routine, I’ll be able to figure out how workouts are going to fit in.

Most of the time, I am definitely a morning workout kind of person; I like it done and out of the way, so I have time to just do whatever it is I have to do once I get home, which is around 5:30pm. If I were to workout in the mornings though, I’d probably have to get up between 5-5:30am, and while I’ve certainly managed with that early start time before, I’m just not ready yet. With time!

So in the mean time, I’m going to continue rocking those stair climbs, and also incorporate some exercises from my office workout (total advantage to having an office with a door!). I’m not fretting about anything, because I know the routine will work itself out eventually…but I figured it was worth mentioning since I feel like I haven’t even mentioned the word "workout" in over a week. Sheesh!

So today was another great day, which started off with a simple and yummy breakfast.

This, however, is an old photo because I’m too lazy to grab my camera which has the picture from this morning…it’s okay though. These look better. Winking smile

Half was eaten at home…half in the car…since I’m still learning this schedule. Once I got into work, I made myself a cup of coffee (we have a bunch of Green Mountain K-cups in the office – WOOT!)

Today also included THE most delicious lunch out. I was invited out with a few of the girls here, as sort of a "welcome" lunch for me and a "goodbye" lunch for the other girl who will be leaving today. Obviously, I wasn’t about to whip out the camera (yet?), but I can tell you that my meal was the most incredible mushroom ravioli dish, made with sherry brown butter and sweet butternut squash. I’m honestly not usually a huge mushroom person, so I have no idea what compelled me to order it, but my gosh, was it good.

Snacks for the day included another apple cinnamon Chobani mid-morning plus the rest of my banana from breakfast (which, by the way, made my garbage reek of banana ALL day long),

A mid-afternoon granny smith apple,

Notice the new mouse pad I have now? Winking smile

And a tiny piece of cake which came hand-delivered to me at the end of the day.

Seriously…I couldn’t say no. And I’m glad I didn’t, because it was GOOD.

Right now, I’m thinking that breakfast for dinner is on the agenda. Since lunch was a bit heavier than normal, a light, easy dinner sounds like the perfect meal. Maybe an omelet?

*Edited to change…no omelet for dinner. By the time I got home, hubby was hard at work on a full sirloin steak dinner with potatoes and green beans. God. I. Love. This. Man.

Time to go help him out! But hey, be on the lookout for a fun post tomorrow morning…I think you guys are going to enjoy it! Winking smile

1 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 18, 2012 at 6:10 pm

Love that you’re rocking the apple cinnamon Chobani! That one is my favorite :)
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Never A Loss For Words!

2 Khushboo December 18, 2012 at 6:11 pm

I spy raspberry swirled in the frosting…whatever it is, it sure looks delish!
Khushboo recently posted..Deck the stalls

3 Molly @ happy&healthy December 18, 2012 at 6:19 pm

When I first started work, it was about 2-3 weeks until I figured out my workout schedule (hello 5am wake up call), at least you get moving during the day!. That ravioli sounds delicious, as does your dinner!
Molly @ happy&healthy recently posted..Blog Day of Silence

4 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries December 18, 2012 at 6:35 pm

You’ll figure out your new schedule in no time at all I’m sure! It always takes me a few weeks to get the hang of a new schedule. That’s so nice you’re not tied to your desk all day. I have to make a point of walking around and moving at my job otherwise it’d be really easy for me to sit all.day.long. And myyyyy goodness, that ravioli sounds AMAZING. I am suddenly hungry now… ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Week 24: Healthy {Pregnancy} Snacks

5 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 18, 2012 at 7:17 pm

I’d have trouble doing workouts that early too, I think 6:00 am is my absolute limit! I’m sure you’ll figure out what works best for you. I’m not a big a fan of mushrooms either, but you make it sound delicious…and I’m making myself hungry for dinner!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..freEDom: Societal ED.

6 Blog is the New Black December 18, 2012 at 7:30 pm

So glad its going well, girl!
Blog is the New Black recently posted..Double Chocolate Crackle Cookies

7 Holly December 18, 2012 at 7:37 pm

I love your blog and your life-work-exercise balance!!

8 Renee December 18, 2012 at 7:38 pm

Yeah for new gigs! Congratatulations! You’ll get the schedule down it takes a while!

9 Carrie December 18, 2012 at 7:54 pm

I have to admit – it’s refreshing to read a blog written by a full-time worker. So many of my old favorites are now freelancing/full-time blogging and its hard to relate to. Struggling to stay motivated to work out/having to wake up early to do so is something I can 100% identify with. Packing lunches the night before/snacks/etc… you’ll figure it out soon enough and I’m looking forward to exploring the journey with you! Good luck with the new job and I hope it’s a good fit!

10 Danica @ It's Progression December 18, 2012 at 8:18 pm

I love your attitude about workouts right now–it’s hard enough just starting a brand new (full-time) job, and you’re absolutely right. It’ll come with time, as you get into this new routine, and it’s not worth stressing over. Good for you girl :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..a little Christmas humor

11 Linz @ Itz Linz December 18, 2012 at 8:47 pm

i have a hard time turning down cake… ever!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Silence & Support

12 alyssa - life a la wife December 18, 2012 at 9:04 pm

What you’re having for dinner sounds way better than an omelet. Hubby for the win :)
alyssa – life a la wife recently posted..Spicy Sweet Potato & Black Bean Chili

13 Danielle December 18, 2012 at 9:16 pm

That is soo sweet he was working on dinner before you got home!
Danielle recently posted..December Workout Schedule

14 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More December 18, 2012 at 9:41 pm

LOVE Apple Cinnamon Chobani. Every time I go to the store I grab one or two and a Blood Orange Chobani. My dad usually buys a giant vanilla or the Costco packs so it’s nice to change it up but it’s also one of my FAVORITE flavors. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Workout: Maximize Your Time

15 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns December 18, 2012 at 9:44 pm

love stairs!! totally wish mine had some lol Mmmmm steak sounds so good!! hope your able to work everything out to fit your workouts in :)
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..I Just Wish I Was…..

16 Marielle December 18, 2012 at 10:01 pm

Getting into the workout routine can take a little bit for sure! Give yourself a couple weeks getting used to the job and getting through your daily things :) I wish I was a morning workout person, but that never happens so is I stick to my evening workout routine!
Marielle recently posted..My Top 3 Stretches For Runners

17 Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 18, 2012 at 11:28 pm

I love exercise that doesn’t feel like exercise :D I actually don’t do any formal workouts at all, but focus on staying active throughout the day, and I find that I feel so much better this way than when I was following a strict exercise schedule. And that apple-cinnamon Chobani… bah! I looked for it everywhere when I was in the States last week but none of the stores had it. One day… oooooone day maybe I’ll get lucky.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... 25 days of christmas, 10 through 18 .

18 Brooke @ Running In Heels December 19, 2012 at 12:45 am

I loooove the apple cinnamon chobani.. So good!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..Raspberry Acai Avocado Salad & a cookie exchange

19 Angela December 19, 2012 at 1:59 am

I worked at a desk job for about 3-4 years and I noticed a difference. Now that I’m standing most of the day I feel a lot better. It actually took a toll on my back, after sitting so long every day I seemed to have lost my back muscles or something?? Not sure if that’s possible even but for the first few weeks back at my current job, my lower back was so sore! Even now it’s pretty tight, but a lot better than it was. I need to start doing yoga or something.
Angela recently posted..Date Night.

20 Kristen @ notsodomesticated December 19, 2012 at 6:36 am

I’m jealous that your husband cooks! I love my hubby, but cooking is one thing that he does NOT do! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..24 Weeks: Bathing suit shopping while pregnant should be illegal.

21 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope December 19, 2012 at 7:06 am

I’m glad that your job is going well so far! Your lunch sounded delicious! :) So nice of them to take you out. That cake sure does look yummy too!
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Keeping It Simple!…

22 Stefanie @ Thin Vegetarian December 19, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I definitely agree with you about morning workouts; I like getting it done early so I can go about my day.

23 Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian December 19, 2012 at 1:49 pm

Yes, very snazzy there with the mouse pad!
Jessamy @ The Rambling Asian recently posted..Cranberry Bars

24 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl December 19, 2012 at 3:57 pm

This post made me laugh…I always wonder when it is the “right time” to start taking pictures of your food in front of people who are not your family or closest friends. I certainly don’t want to freak them out or anything! ;)

Love that you have a granny smith apple. It seems like people always think that I am crazy for loving green apples!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Vegetarian Taco Pizza

25 Sue December 20, 2012 at 12:36 am

If only you could FedEx that breakfast to me…;p
Sue recently posted..AAM Fun Run 2012 – The Pictorial Edition

26 Bek @ Crave December 20, 2012 at 2:04 am

What a good hubby! Thanks for taking us to work with you. Ps. That cake looks so good.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Frozen Food Product Review- Lean Cuisine: Lamb Koftas with CousCous