My First Day–In the Books!

*****

I was originally planning on posting this last night, until I had a chance to get into my Google Reader and realized that many people were partaking in a Blog Day of Silence. Since I already had yesterday morning’s post ready to go before realizing this, I couldn’t exactly take that back, but I could participate from there on out, so I decided to hold off on posting again until today.

I loved the message behind taking the day off from the blog to help honor all of those involved in the tragic events at Sandy Hook Elementary. As I mentioned before, I’m really not good at putting all of my thoughts regarding this tragedy into words (and I probably shouldn’t, as most of them are incredibly angry). I will continue honoring the memory of all the lives who were cut short on that awful day, and I will continue to keep all of those affected in my thoughts and prayers.

*****

So good news…I survived the first day of work! WOO HOO!!

Although I haven’t yet had the chance to meet everyone (there’s quite a few people to meet) everyone who I’ve encountered so far seems so, so nice. And I actually already know a few people who work there, so it was really nice to have a familiar face or two.

My day was pretty standard, as far as first days go. I spent most of the day training with one of the girls I’ll be taking over for and getting to know my way around the office a little better. One of the first things that happened, however was quite possibly the most exciting…

I have my own office! I’m totally psyched…I mean, maybe it sounds corny to be so excited but I’ve never been in a setting where I’ve had my own office and, well, it just seems pretty awesome. As you can tell, it needs a little bit of a “Courtney touch” to it, but I’ll get to that over time.

One of the things that I quickly noticed today is that there are treats…everywhere! Granted, it is the holidays, so there’s extra goodies, but apparently that’s the norm. I’m looking at this as both pretty bas a$$ and a challenge at the same time. Ha.

Since I wanted to be prepared, I did bring in a bag full of some snacks to keep at my desk for “emergencies,” which already came in handy today.

I had eaten breakfast way earlier than usual (about 7:15am) I was hungry by about 9am, so I had an apple cinnamon Chobani.

Then, around 11:00am I was hungry again, so I dug into my snacks and had a Kashi bar. I bought these yesterday and they’re pretty good, but not mind blowing or anything.

When it comes to lunch, I pretty much get to pick a time that’s best for me, so at about 1:00pm, I broke out my lunch.

Do you guys SEE that? It’s a salad. Yes, a salad.

I feel like I’ve been avoiding salads like the plague these days for some reason. They just haven’t been appealing to me? But this salad, which I prepared last night, was deeeeelicious.

• Lettuce
  • Tomato
  • Cucumbers
  • Carrots
  • Avocado
  • Fontina Cheese
  • Grilled Chicken
  • Balsamic Vinaigrette dressing

I also packed myself another snack to have mid-afternoon, which worked out perfectly. Around 3:45, while going over a few things at my desk, I had this half of a peanut butter and pumpkin sandwich. YUM.

Just a little over an hour later, and my first day on the new job was over! I came home, had leftovers for dinner, and put my feet up on the couch.

The day absolutely flew by, which (hopefully) is a sign of things to come. I’m really feeling excited about this new job, and I have a feeling that it could turn out to be a really great thing for me. Despite the fact that it’s a big change, I think the change is exactly what I needed.

As much as I loved being home, it was just starting to get a bit…stale. I missed people, I felt super lazy always sitting at my desk (this job is going to have me on the MOVE!), and I really think I started taking being at home for granted. Now, when I walk through the door after a long day of work, lounging on the couch is just going to be that much more fantastic. Winking smile

Comments

Sounds like a great first day, Courtney! I’m definitely in the same boat as you right now–my job starts in January, and I couldn’t be more excited. It’s been nice working from home for the past two months, but I’ve been missing interacting with people and talking with coworkers.
    Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Remember Sandy Hook

Congrats on your first day!! Having your own office is really cool! I can’t wait to hear more about how it goes :) Your dinner looks absolutely fantastic!

3. Julie @ Sweetly Balanced says

Congrats on your first day and your own office!! I used to have a job where I worke from home and while it did have its benefits you really do miss actual human interaction!!
    Julie @ Sweetly Balanced recently posted..John Barrett Braid Bar

Yay! Glad you had a great first day. I love your snack stash- a snack or two is such a necessity for me during the day at my office job. That’s great that your job will have you on the move. I literally sit in a cube for eight hours working on the computer and it is NOT fun. I’m temping right now though, so I know this isn’t forever.

Cute shoes, too! :)
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Handmade Gifts

Looks like you’ve found your perfect match! Happy for you! And I’m also excited to see your posts for now on and have some motivation to juggle full time work with a healthy lifestyle. Its overwhelming sometimes, and it will be nice to have some pointers!
    Ashlee recently posted..Lazy Sunday + Carrot Cookies

Now that I have a job, when I get home at the end of the day there is nothing better than throwing on sweats, curling up in a blanket and relaxing while watching TV or reading a good book. It’s my “me” time that I used to take for granted, but now I love!

7. Brittany @ Proteinandpumps says

Having been around office snacks for years now here’s my advice: plan and pack!! It seems like you have that down though. Congrats on your first day.
    Brittany @ Proteinandpumps recently posted..Eggscellent News

8. Christa says

So glad you enjoyed your first day!! I have a random question: how do you keep your avocados from browning if you put them in the salad the night before? Lime juice?? Thanks :)

YAY! Congratulations! I am about to go from an 8-5 to stay-at-home mom and I am ready for it! Funny how life changes for us all in ways that work best for us. I have to know, where did you get your adorable royal blue flats? They are gorgeous!
    Leslie recently posted..22 Weeks: Survey

Congrats! I know what you mean about being at home–while it is great, it can become boring! Although I wish I could leave my job a little earlier everday to get some more home htings done, I don’t mind staying because when Ido get home it’s that much better. Habing your OWN awesome is also pretty cool!
    Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Christmas Abdominals Workout

11. kat says

Congrats on the new job! And I hear you on the sweets- man, my first year at my job around the holidays, I gained a few lbs cause every day people would bring in donuts, candy, b-day cakes, etc, etc, etc. So hard to pass that up. Grr.

Sounds like a good first day and having your own office is a great bonus! I love interacting with people but it’s nice to just be able to shut my office door and enjoy some alone time…..benefits also include not having others see the awkwardness of me eating when I bring a messy lunch :)

Smart thinking on bringing in a snack stash on your first day of work. And, what an awesome stash it is. 😉 So glad the first day went well and that you have your very own office to make your own. Congrats again!
    Ali @ WHOLEistically Fit recently posted..No Words.

Congrats! I’m really excited to hear about your adventures in transitioning from working at home to an office. I have a feeling this blog will be even more applicable to me now as I see how you balance working out, chores, etc with a full office job! Excited :)
    Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..i’m baaaack

15. Marie says

Yay for your first day! I am so with you on your own office thing because I’ve never had one. Haha. Always a cubicle. This job sounds so exciting; can’t wait to hear more!

Courtney. I meant to leave this comment days ago but I just have to say – I am so proud of you for doing this. I am in the same kind of position now, needing to find a job because of boredom, and the reason you said, taking being at home for granted.. and missing people. Anyway I just think it’s really great that you are actually working a full time job and blogging on the side, I really think that this will be great for you and I hope so! I hope it is all you want it to be :) I also hope to be joining you in the employed- club, sooner rather than later! XO
    Jaclyn recently posted..3 states, 2 books, 1 day

I used to keep a food stash in my office until I realized how many extra calories I was eating (I have no will power) when I got stressed. So I made a small change. I started packing a snack or two that could be left in the car like crackers, and if I really felt hungry I would go outside and walk to get the snack from my car. I found that only once a week or every two weeks did I actually go to get my extra snack! Maybe one day I’ll be able to keep extra food in my office!
    Blogging Runner recently posted..And The List Goes On …

Trackbacks