Attempting To Be More Prepared

by Courtney on December 30, 2012

Well hello and good morning to all of my favorite readers! How’s everyone doing today?? Fun Fact: one month from today until my birthdayyyy!  But who’s counting?

SO I don’t know…maybe it’s from the extra sleep I got last night, but I am feeling pretty peppy, as if you couldn’t already tell. Last night included lots of wonderful sleep; I was in bed just before 10pm (Jay basically called me a party pooper – I didn’t argue that comment one bit), and spent about a half hour reading before giving in to the sleepiness. Nine hours later, and I was almost a new woman…until about 6pm tonight.

Before heading to bed though, the two of us did manage to have a nice coffee table dinner + movie night at home.

We decided to make another small dent in our Omaha Steaks order, so he cooked up a piece of chicken and I chose a piece of marinated salmon. The salmon was good, but it was actually pretty salty; I’d say I ended up eating about three-quarters of it. On the side, I had a mini bowl of veggie stew as my attempt to get some veggies in for the day.

Shortly after dinner I was hungry once again…my hunger was out of control last night.

And that tweet from Melissa totally struck me funny and literally had me laughing out loud. Maybe she’s right though…I guess we’ll find out tomorrow with a new update! Winking smile

So I wound up eating a bite-size leftover brownie, a small mug of cereal, and a handful of the most dangerous cracker slash cookies on the planet…and I probably could have kept going if it wasn’t for my strong desire to head to bed.

*****

Breakfast

For the first time in quite a while, I woke up with a craving for oatmeal for breakfast. Besides the cup of hot oats I had a couple days ago, I haven’t really been feelin’ the whole “make my oats from scratch” thing lately.

But today’s bowl was GREAT. I made a bowl of custard oats the same way I make my pumpkin custard oatsjust minus the pumpkin – added in a few blueberries, and topped it with half of a crumbled piece of pumpkin bread. So good.

To go along with my oats, I brewed myself a chai latte in the Keurig, and I must say that it is pretty delicious.

Today we’re actually heading out of the house (we didn’t venture out at all yesterday with the snow) which will be nice, because I think my asthma is telling me I need some fresh air. This afternoon, we’re meeting up with a few of our cousins for lunch, and then I’m *hoping* I can convince him to stop at the grocery store with me quick to pick up some stuff for the week.

If you’ve been reading for any amount of time, then you probably know I’m not much of a meal planner. However, now that things have changed quite a bit over here, I’m going to attempt to be at least a little bit more prepared. My first area of inspiration was Pinterest – sometimes I like to check and see what recipes of mine people are pinning, and I came across a few this morning that are possible contenders:

We really only need meals for Tuesday, Thursday, and Friday (Monday is a NYE party, and Wednesday is our anniversary dinner) so those may just be my winners. We’ll see what the boy says. Winking smile

Enjoy the rest of your weekend, everyone!

1 Khushboo December 30, 2012 at 9:44 am

So envious you woke up feeling refreshed today- a 5.30 am bed time has me feeling less than stellar today :-/! Quick question- do any dishes come to mind (vegetarian preferably) to take to a potluck? Thanks :)!
Khushboo recently posted..Pay it forward

2 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles December 30, 2012 at 9:51 am

I’ve gone back and forth with having a weekly meal plan and not having one, and I definitely find it makes life easier (and more delicious) having one.

Thinking that I need to make those Tilapia tacos sometime…I’ve never made fish tacos before and they sound delicious!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Would You Want To Know?

3 Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves December 30, 2012 at 10:12 am

I’ve been off work for a few weeks so it was easy for me to make what I wanted each day. Now that I am going back to work, I definitely have to meal plan and prep! Stinks but ya gotta do it sometimes… :/
Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves recently posted..Stair Beast on a Snow Day

4 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl December 30, 2012 at 10:30 am

That chili sounds fabulous. I would love to try to make it vegetarian by omitting the beef and chicken broth and using either beans or soyrizo and vegetable broth. Sounds delicious!! I am pretty sure chili is practically mandatory around this time of year so I’d say you definitely have to make it! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Happy Herbivore Blog Tour + Cookbook Giveaway!!

5 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats December 30, 2012 at 10:32 am

I love the K cup chai lattes! I am not a big meal planner but always say I am going to try and be more prepared. So far no luck lol
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..The TV Mustache Game

6 Lindsey December 30, 2012 at 10:50 am

I’m from Cincinnati and we’re known for our chili (Skyline Chili)… you won’t regret the decision I promise! :)

7 Amanda @ .running with spoons. December 30, 2012 at 10:53 am

I gave meal planning a go for a little while, but it kind of drove me crazy that sometimes I wouldn’t be craving whatever was on my plan, so I pretty much scrapped that idea and started going with the flow. It would probably have to change it I had someone else to cook for, but I’m going to keep playing it by ear while it’s still just me :)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... monthly favorites – december 2012 .

8 Elizabeth@myneonrunningshoes December 30, 2012 at 11:07 am

Birthday countdowns are totally normal… This morning I thought only 11 more months til my birthday haha :-) Have a great time at your NYE party!
Elizabeth@myneonrunningshoes recently posted..Things to come

9 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers December 30, 2012 at 11:19 am

Nothing is better than getting a good night of sleep! Your breakfast looks delish! Happy Sunday!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Recipe Recap

10 Sarah December 30, 2012 at 12:01 pm

Haha you can’t argue with your stomach! When you’re hungry, you’re hungry! I love the comment about the elbow or arm. I laughed out loud at that :)
Sarah recently posted..Snowed In

11 Kristen@Change of Pace December 30, 2012 at 12:26 pm

I was pretty much starving my whole pregnancy with both kids. It was insane. I don’t think worrying quantity is as important as worrying about quality. :)
Kristen@Change of Pace recently posted..Paleo Parfait

12 Danica @ It's Progression December 30, 2012 at 1:16 pm

My husband rarely goes grocery shopping with me, for some reason he doesn’t find it as fun as I do :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..workouts 12/23 – 12/29: getting back into a routine

13 Kerry @ Totes My Oats December 30, 2012 at 2:57 pm

I’ve been wanting to try the Stuffed Spaghetti Squash!
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Sixth Day of Circuits and NYE Plans

14 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections December 30, 2012 at 3:13 pm

Your oat meal and chai tea look wonderful! I also haven’t been feeling the urge for oatmeal lately as I have become too lazy to make it I suppose. But this week, I plan to make some baked oats using apples and steel cut oats. I’m hoping it turns out muffin or pie-like. It’s just so much effort in the morning sometimes, though!

I am quite the opposite of you, though, as I plan my meals out quite extensively… It’s like a really bad habit. If I don’t have meals planned, I kind of freak out and then usually eat terribly. Be glad you don’t have that curse!
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Finished: Insanity Round 2!

15 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples December 30, 2012 at 3:23 pm

I need to work on being a better meal planner too! I just got a ton of tupperware for Christmas, so I have visions of myself cooking a whole week’s worth of meals on Sunday and then packing everything away… we’ll see if I can stick with it ;) lol
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Normal Mind-Body-Spirit Research Posts Will Resume After New Years

16 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well December 30, 2012 at 4:07 pm

Custard oats? It sounds delicious, but I’ve never heard of adding custard….I’ll have to research and try it! Looks great, though!

17 Erin @ The Grass Skirt December 30, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I was soooo hungry when I was pregnant. I’d meet friends for lunch, and my stomach would already be growling again on the drive home. Just roll with it and enjoy! :)
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..Weekly round-up (12/29)

18 Sara@ fitcupcaker December 30, 2012 at 4:36 pm

Is that chai latte good? I have a few different kinds that are okay. But I love chai lattes! Also I’ll have to check out your Cincinnati chili since I live in that area!
Sara@ fitcupcaker recently posted..Crossfit & A Baking Sunday

19 Sara@ fitcupcaker December 30, 2012 at 4:41 pm

So I looked at your chili recipe and Cincinnati skyline chili is the bomb. I usually get a 3 way when I do go! Your recipe looks very similar and good!
Sara@ fitcupcaker recently posted..Crossfit & A Baking Sunday

20 Natalie @ Free Range Human December 30, 2012 at 5:32 pm

I absolutely love fish tacos! That sounds yummy!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..A Christmas Trip

21 Bek @ Crave December 30, 2012 at 5:41 pm

Yes, eating is good- you’re making something amazing remember :)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Healthy Living Blogs

22 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake December 30, 2012 at 7:25 pm

Pinterest is one of my go-to sites when meal planning each week!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Photo Dump: What I’ve Been Eating Lately

23 Brooke @ Running In Heels December 30, 2012 at 7:41 pm

I laughed out loud about an elbow or an arm.. too funny!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..A Big Bucks Win!

24 Bryna December 31, 2012 at 1:01 am

My birthday is in a month too ;) I liked Melissa’s comment too, made me chuckle!