Almond Butterscotch Hot Chocolate

by Courtney on January 2, 2013

What is it about a nice steaming hot mug of hot chocolate on a cool winter night?

I mean, really. There’s just something about it that screams “comfort” and “cozy” and “all warm and fuzzy inside.”

For the majority of my life, when I wanted my hot chocolate fix, I would head to the cupboard and pull out on the convenient little packets of mix (most of the time, they used to be the “diet” or “sugar free” varieties…because god forbid I drank the real thing…foolish girl that I was), get the water boiling in my teapot, and have my hot cocoa that way.

It wasn’t until about a couple of years ago when I discovered the deliciousness that is homemade hot chocolate. Made with fresh milk and real ingredients, giving it the most superb, rich, and creamy taste. It saddens me to think about just how long I had been missing out on this.

And sometimes, adding marshmallows just makes it that much more exciting. Winking smile

I don’t always take the time to make homemade hot chocolate at home, but whenever I do, there’s only one kind of milk I use, and that’s Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla. Not only do I save about 55 calories by swapping it for skim milk, but the difference in creaminess, texture, and flavor is just fantastic.

So if I’ve got you intrigued, here’s one of my favorite recipes for homemade hot chocolate:

Almond Butterscotch Hot Chocolate

Servings: 1 full mug or 2 smaller mugs

Ingredients:

• 1 cup Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla
  • 1 cinnamon stick, split lengthwise
  • 1/8 cup unsweetened natural cocoa powder
  • 1 ounce good chocolate (milk or dark), finely chopped
  • 1/8 cup sugar
  • 1/8 teaspoon salt
  • 2 tablespoons butterscotch syrup/sauce*
  • 1 tablespoon hazelnut syrup (such as Torani)*

Directions:

1. Bring milk and cinnamon stick to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat, and simmer gently for 10 minutes. Remove cinnamon stick, rinse, and reserve.
  2. Whisk in cocoa, chocolate, sugar, and salt, whisking vigorously until mixture is foamy, 1 to 2 minutes. Garnish with cinnamon stick.

*****

Sometimes, of course, there are those days where you just might need a little extra “zip” in your hot chocolate; not so much these days, but it’s happened in the past. Its days like those where I jazz mine up a bit to create the most delicious alcoholic version.

*To make an Almond Amaretto Butterscotch Hot Chocolate, try substituting the following:

• Replace the butterscotch syrup with 4 ounces butterscotch Schnapps
  • Replace the hazelnut syrup with 1 ounce amaretto

**Edited to add: Those measurements are for TWO cups. If you’re only making one cup, halve the two ingredients above.

You’ve definitely got to try that version…trust me. Do it for me. Winking smile

**********

Nutritional Information (for non-alcoholic version):

Calories: 195.1
Total Fat: 6.4 g
Saturated Fat: 3 g
Poly Fat: .1 g
Mono Fat: 1.0 g
Sodium: 152.0 g
Potassium: 251.4 mg
Total Carbs: 37.6 g
Fiber: 3.3 g
Protein 2.9 g

This post is part of a sponsored campaign with Silk and Fitfluential, LLC. All opinions expressed are my own. Learn more about Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened on Facebook and Twitter.

1 michelle kim January 2, 2013 at 3:08 pm

oOOooh I like the sound of the one with a little “zip” in it ;)
I actually haven’t tried almond milk yet, but I definitely like the Silk soy milk, so I should definitely try it!

2 Kristin January 2, 2013 at 3:10 pm

That sounds absolutely fantastic! I think I might have to switch to making my own hot chocolate from now on :)

3 Elaine January 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm

That looks and sounds delicious! I love that you add a little bit of cinnamon to your hot chocolate too. And I always have the unsweetened almond milk in my fridge, so I’ll have to give this a try!
Elaine recently posted..Skinny Spinach Artichoke Dip

4 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots January 2, 2013 at 3:14 pm

this sounds great! I love silk almond milk!
Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted..Creamy Pesto, Turkey and Rice

5 Kristen@Change of Pace January 2, 2013 at 3:19 pm

Oh my goodness! That is a perfect holiday drink :)
Kristen@Change of Pace recently posted..Resolutions

6 Barbara January 2, 2013 at 3:21 pm

You are adding 5 oz of alcohol to replace 3 tablespoons of flavoring, wow!!!

7 Courtney January 2, 2013 at 3:30 pm

Oh boy I guess I should clarify that those measurements are for two cups, not one! ;)

8 Michelle@Peachy Palate January 2, 2013 at 3:23 pm

Wowsers that sounds amazing! I need to get myself some syrup!!!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Two weeks later

9 Lisa January 2, 2013 at 3:28 pm

Oh goodness, this sounds so delicious! Silk almond milk is my favorite brand my far, so creamy! I’ve got to get some syrup and try this out
Lisa recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

10 Sarah @PickyRunner January 2, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Yummm I’m always looking for a new hot chocolate recipe. This is great, thanks :)
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..Welcome to Beantown!

11 Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills January 2, 2013 at 3:54 pm

After reading this I reaaaallly want a cup of hot chocolate! Taking the dogs for a walk soon so I am sure I could use a cup when I get back since it’s so cold out!
Danielle @ Truffles n’ Treadmills recently posted..60/30 Workout & A Giveaway

12 Erin @ The Grass Skirt January 2, 2013 at 4:07 pm

I love hot chocolate, so I’m going to make this tonight. :)
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..Ringing in 2013 with breakfast for dinner

13 kim@hungryhealthygirl January 2, 2013 at 4:08 pm

That sounds sooooo delicious! My kiddos love hot cocoa, but I usually go for a flavored coffee. Might just have to give this a try while it’s cold outside.
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..The First WIAW of 2013!

14 Laura@ FitRunningMama January 2, 2013 at 4:08 pm

I want this now– having a cup of tea because I am so cold but this look so much tastier… plus I love almond milk-I keep hoping the one day Starbucks will carry it!!
Laura@ FitRunningMama recently posted..Workout Wednesday- Treadmill Climb

15 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes January 2, 2013 at 4:18 pm

It’s really ironic you posted this recipe bc I just ha butterscotch hot chocolate last night! It’s amazing. What’s also amazing is that first picture in your post! It looks like it should be in a magazine.
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..I am floored

16 Linz @ Itz Linz January 2, 2013 at 4:23 pm

this sounds amazing and perfect for the chilly winter months!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Green Coconut Banana Smoothie

17 Kristin M January 2, 2013 at 4:48 pm

“I don’t always take the time to make homemade hot chocolate at home, but whenever I do, there’s only one kind of milk I use, and that’s Silk Pure Almond Unsweetened Vanilla.” <——-LOVED this part of your post!! Totally made me think of the Dos Equis beer commercials ("I don't always drink beer, but when I do, it's a Dos Equis") :)
Recipe sounds delicious!!

18 Courtney January 3, 2013 at 12:32 pm

Hahaha I love that you caught that!!

19 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections January 2, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Yup, I will be trying this in the future! I still think the packet one’s are decent if it’s a Starbucks or Godiva one. But homemade is always better. Mmm… just wish I hadn’t just ran out of almond milk!
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Happy New Year: Reflecting on 2012

20 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 2, 2013 at 5:00 pm

I’m totally intrigued by this recipe! I’ve made my own hot chocolate before, but it had a tonnn of sugar in it. This looks like a much better alternative. It’s on the list! :)
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..In Retrospect…

21 Kerry @ Totes My Oats January 2, 2013 at 5:08 pm

This sounds heavenly! Thanks for the recipe :)
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Half Marathon Training and 9th Day of Circuits

22 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 2, 2013 at 5:13 pm

I need to try this. I typically just do the packet thing … but you’re making me want to try homemade!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Christmas in Florida: My idea of a &ldquo;white&rdquo; (sand) Christmas.

23 Annie January 2, 2013 at 5:57 pm

that sounds DIVINE!!!!
Annie recently posted..Frosty date! She is beautiful

24 Ari @ Ari's Menu January 2, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Courtney, this looks absolutely delicious! I’ve been craving some homemade hot cocoa, and I just might have to whip up that adult version ;)
Ari @ Ari’s Menu recently posted..Lemon Coconut Cupcakes {vegan}

25 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 2, 2013 at 6:04 pm

Love this! I’ve pretty much always made my own hot chocolate, but I’ve never tried adding any kind of flavored syrup to it. Definitely going to give that a shot!
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW &#8230; my 3 diet &#8216;resolutions&#8217; .

26 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 2, 2013 at 6:49 pm

As soon as I saw the title, I said “Wow!” out loud. It looks so good!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Off On The Right Foot

27 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 2, 2013 at 7:02 pm

YUM! Looks so good! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..The Jar of Good Things

28 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 2, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I don’t think I’ve ever made homemade hot chocolate…shame on me! And adding Amaretto just sounds amazing.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..WIAW #16: What I Ate on NYE.

29 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 2, 2013 at 7:15 pm

Yum! I’ve never actually made my own hot chocolate, but this sounds amazing!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW &ndash; First Day of 2013

30 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes January 2, 2013 at 8:18 pm

Mmmm, love hot chocolate! On a whim, I bought a container while grocery shopping a few weeks ago, and I’ve been enjoying a mug nearly every night–it’s a perfect winter treat. :)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Last Day at Home

31 Celeste January 2, 2013 at 8:26 pm

This sounds like I should try this tonight. It’s cold outide and I just had a long first day back at work.

32 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 2, 2013 at 9:28 pm

Thanks so much for sharing! I always make my hot cocoa with Silk unsweetened vanilla almond milk, but I must admit that I often use the cocoa mix. I can only imagine how much better that this probably tastes!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..WIAW: January 2, 2013

33 Sarah Fit January 2, 2013 at 9:45 pm

THIS LOOKS AMAZING! Can’t wait to try it, I have almost all the ingredients minus the butterscotch.. I think I’ll get the schnapps version :)
Sarah Fit recently posted..Win Money For Losing Weight in 2013

34 {Moni} @ Moni Meals January 2, 2013 at 11:14 pm

Really great recipe!! I LOVE your pics and will make this soon. Very unique! I might add the alcohol too. ;)
I also will be posting my recipe for Silk soon too (-FFA!) so this is just so exciting. ;)
Great blog too and nice to meet you!!. I also am a trainer and healthy foods chef.
Moni

35 Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance January 3, 2013 at 6:11 am

Ooo! Look at you Courtney! Becoming a Starbucks barista at home ;)

This is completely something Will would eat up in a heartbeat haha
Brittany @ Itty Bits of Balance recently posted..2012 Recap

36 Bek @ Crave January 3, 2013 at 11:33 pm

Oh that looks like a wicked hot chocolate! Mmmm.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Labels

37 Jess @ Blonde Ponytail January 4, 2013 at 4:20 pm

Great recipe! I never thought about making my own hot chocolate till recently and I’ll have to take your word for the amaretto addition too ;)
Jess @ Blonde Ponytail recently posted..Happy 2013: House Party!

38 Lisa @ RunWiki January 12, 2013 at 10:02 pm

I saw this on Facebook, made one and am enjoying as I type! Absolutely delicious!
Lisa @ RunWiki recently posted..Kyle’s Krusade Virtual 5K, 10K and Half Marathon