Sick on a Saturday

by Courtney on January 6, 2013

So yesterday was…ehh. Although I might be feeling slightly better today, yesterday was one of those days where I just wanted to stay curled up in a ball on the couch and not have to move.

Cody was my buddy, of course, and would come to check on me every now and then.

Actually it was more like he’d be in the mood for a good head scratch, so that’s when he’d come and see me. You know, when it was convenient for him. Winking smile

I didn’t take too many photos of food, but I’m happy to report that the cold has had no affect on my appetite (*knock on wood*). In fact, I’m still as hungry as ever. Most of my eats yesterday were mini meals and snacks that I’d grab when I’d eventually have to get up to go to the bathroom or stock up on more tissues.

One snack I did snag a photo of was Wasa crackers with The Laughing Cow strawberry cream cheese and banana slices. This was a new combo for me – definitely a fan!

At one point during the afternoon, I wound up with a small window of feeling halfway decent, so I used that as an opportunity to shower and actually baked some cookie bars.

I attempted to take a cookie recipe I have from Cooking Light and make them into bars, but I slightly overcooked them. It’s too bad, since the flavor of these things is incredible (yes, I could even taste them!) so I think I’ll have to attempt them again another time.

Shortly after I finished baking (and sampling) those, my window of feeling good quickly closed and I was back on the couch. I had zero desire to make anything for dinner, nor did the hubby, so he graciously offered to go out and pick us up a couple of salads from our favorite spot.

That’s an old photo, but this time they actually remembered to keep the olives OFF of there, so it wound up being one of the best salads I’ve had from them in a while.

Jay and I both had a good laugh during dinner though; at one point, he looked over and noticed how slow I was eating. I then explained to him that, because my nose was so plugged, I couldn’t really breathe when I had a mouthful, thus I had to take it slow. It was funny…even if it was at my own expense. Winking smile

*****

Breakfast

I was in bed pretty early last night and wound up getting about ten hours of sleep (albeit extremely interrupted) so by the time I got up this morning, I was hungry for breakfast.

A hot cup of green tea, along with a toasted English muffin with PB&J, as well as a scrambled egg + egg white with spinach, onions, and tomatoes.

From what I could taste, it was a pretty good breakfast. Winking smile

I’m forcing myself to get up and out of the house for a bit today, since I’m sure the fresh air will feel awesome. I do have grocery shopping to do, but we’ll see how the runny nose is later…I totally do not want to be “that person” browsing through all the fresh produce coughing, with tissues in hand. Eeeeeew.

But hey, how’s the rest of the world doing out there? Hopefully you’re out and about enjoying your weekend!

1 Linz @ Itz Linz January 6, 2013 at 9:44 am

Keep feeling better, Courtney!! Today is a pretty low key day for us over here. Laundry, hanging out, maybe a treadmill walk later :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..To Set Resolutions… Or Not

2 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 6, 2013 at 9:46 am

Ugh Court, I feel your pain! I’m so sorry you’re not feeling well. I know it doesn’t sound good, but a slower walk helped me and loosened stuff up in my head and nose. I never ended up getting one, but a few people have recommended the neti pot too. I hope today is better! Hugs!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Healthy Banana Bread

3 Katie @ running4cupcakes January 6, 2013 at 9:49 am

Glad you are starting to feel better! We are having a lazy weekend here, watched the packers win their wild card game last night!!! On tap for today, running and chasing my 8 month old around- he loves to get into everything these days!!!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..2012: in review

4 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes January 6, 2013 at 9:50 am

I felt not-so-great yesterday, too–spent the entire day parked on the couch, drank lots of tea, and rewatched Downton Abbey. I feel a little better today, though, so I think this approach worked! Hope you feel better, too, Courtney!
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Two Years Ago

5 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 6, 2013 at 9:56 am

Hope you feel better soon! I was battling something similar a few weeks ago, there’s definitely something going around.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Loading Up.

6 Jenna January 6, 2013 at 9:57 am

Hope you start to feel better asap!! I’ve been feeling the exact same as you for a few days now…yuck! night time and sleeping is the worst. :( I think a walk is in the works for me today…I think it will help! neti pots are life savers!!

7 Khushboo January 6, 2013 at 9:58 am

Hope you’re feeling better! I had to do a double take on the wasa combo- at first glance I thought it was deli turkey and banana slices…..luckily not ha!
Khushboo recently posted..Friday Favorites: Healthy Snacks

8 kim@hungryhealthygirl January 6, 2013 at 10:05 am

Yuck…hope this cold is gone VERY soon for you. At least you had some good eats!
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Book Review: What Alice Forgot

9 Silvia @skinny jeans food January 6, 2013 at 10:09 am

Awwwh, feel better soon! I think the best medicine is feeling absolutely guilt-free lazy, rather do less than more, to give your (double-!) busy body time to rest and focus on fighting this cold. Also lots of home-made chicken soup (just get some chicken on the bone, carrots, celery, onion and thyme, throw in the slow cooker on low for 7-8h or 3-4h on high, best stock ever, but throw away the carrots, celery and onion and use just the stock) and make some soup. Lots of hot liquid helps flush the system. I also swear by 2 packets of emergency-C drinks 1-2 a day. — And no work tomorrow! You don’t want to make a bad impression by getting 2/3 of your colleagues sick, right ? :-)
Silvia @skinny jeans food recently posted..Chocolate Amaretto Cake

10 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess January 6, 2013 at 10:17 am

Man I know the feeling of being sick, no fun:( I hope your Sunday is better! It didnt sound like you had to awful of a Saturday though:)
krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..Friday Favorites

11 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 6, 2013 at 10:21 am

Well, with the looks of that breakfast it looks like you are off to a great start and on the right track to recovery. Now get to feeling better ASAP so you can enjoy the rest of your weekend!! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Roasted Vegetable Pizza on a Cauliflower Pizza Crust

12 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 6, 2013 at 10:38 am

Ugh, being sick is the worst! Knock on wood — I haven’t gotten sick yet this year! I’m getting nervous though, since I’ve been hearing how horrible the flu is this year! Hope you feel better!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Top Chef – Episodes 8 and 9

13 Kerry @ Totes My Oats January 6, 2013 at 10:47 am

I’m still sick over here, too! I’m a sneezing machine right now. Hope you feel better! That Wasa cracker combo sounds so good!
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..My Favorite Way to Relax

14 Lisa January 6, 2013 at 11:10 am

Feel better Courtney! At least you have Cody to keep you company, I swear cats just know when you feel sick. I definitely think the best thing is to take it super easy, rest, water, soup!
Lisa recently posted..Confessions

15 Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves January 6, 2013 at 11:36 am

I hope you feel better! and that bread on the salad… my eyes narrowed right in on it lol. Carbs are gooooood
Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves recently posted..Skinny Minnie Meal Machine

16 Kim @ Philly Running Girl January 6, 2013 at 11:39 am

I know how you feel. I have been sick since New Year’s Eve. After 13.5 hours of sleep last night I feel much better! Get plenty of rest…it definitely helps! Feel better soon!

17 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 6, 2013 at 11:43 am

Feel better soon! Nothing worse then being sick on the weekend!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Butternut Squash Gnocchi #SundaySupper

18 Marielle January 6, 2013 at 11:49 am

Hor you are feeling better!! Sucks being sick on a weekend :( those cookie bars look awesome….ever made them and now I intrigued!
Marielle recently posted..DietBet

19 Celeste@HealthfulMindBodyandSoul.com January 6, 2013 at 12:20 pm

I hope you feel better soon, I feel your pain, I started to feel bad yesterday and today I can hardly get out of bed. Trying hard to get better before work tomorrow.

20 Michelle L January 6, 2013 at 12:36 pm

Omg i have a cold too and am going through tissues like no other! Soup tea water oj….hopefully this all helps :-)
Michelle L recently posted..January Events in Boston 2013

21 Cara January 6, 2013 at 12:43 pm

Cody is so adorable! And I totally get what you mean about eating and having to breathe at the same time. I’ve experienced that recently with a cold and it’s definitely not pleasant. :/ I hope you feel better soon!

22 Kelsey Reidl January 6, 2013 at 12:49 pm

Being sick is the worst !

You’re right though – getting outdoor and even getting some exercise has an amazing way of clearing your head (and your nose!) Also – lots of raw garlic because it is an antimicrobial (fights bacteria in your body!)

23 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 6, 2013 at 1:00 pm

I’m sorry you’ve been feeling so icky :( I totally understand about not wanting to be “that person”. It makes my skin crawl seeing someone ill shopping around the non-packaged foods. I know that they can’t help it, but it just freaks me out!
Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well recently posted..Flan Pie and Fried Broccoli

24 Michelle@Peachy Palate January 6, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I hope you feel better soon missus! 1000mg of Vitamin C 3-4 times a day and have a steamy bath to clear your airwaves!!! :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..A Sunday roast

25 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 6, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I hope the fresh air does you some good today!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..I’m A Nerd Like That

26 Michelle January 6, 2013 at 2:04 pm

Ah I know exactly what you mean about the breathing between bites!! I’ve been having to do that for the last couple days and it SUCKS! Hope you feel better soon! :)

27 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 6, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Yuck for still feeling crappy. Good thing you have the weekend to rest up! And I was not a coughing person in the produce section today, but I was that person who was walking waaaay too slowly that you want to punch because I was a little ::ahem:: sore today. #thatsgoingtogetafewwtfs
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

28 Lyric January 6, 2013 at 2:43 pm

Feel better Courtney! There seems to be a lot of bugs going around lately, I caught one to grr. Ps. Cody seems to be getting cuter and cuter.

29 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes January 6, 2013 at 3:05 pm

Hopefully today goes better than yesterday! Get feeling better soon :-)
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Um it’s cold here.

30 michelle kim January 6, 2013 at 3:09 pm

I still kind of have the sniffles but I’m mostly over the coughing and sore throat. Hope you get better soon! And that’s always nice that Cody can keep you company (he’s so darned cute!).
michelle kim recently posted..Good Eats, Perm, and Party

31 ashley@cupcakesncrunches January 6, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Omg – I’ve been sick and I swear every time I take a long drink of water or eat, I’m going to suffocate. I can finally breathe well out of my nose today. I totally understand why you would eat slow. Being sick is no fun.

I hope you’re feeling better!
ashley@cupcakesncrunches recently posted..Cheesy Brussels Sprouts

32 Angela @ Health's Angel January 6, 2013 at 3:51 pm

Yuck, no fun. I hope you pick up soon! That first picture of Cody is really cute. Whenever I’m sick or upset and at my parent’s house, my dog seems to really pick up on it. He becomes super attentive and stays close. It’s so funny how pets can sense those kinds of things. Especially when you give them the same attention right back. ;)
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..“Taste the Rainbow”

33 Sam January 6, 2013 at 6:18 pm

Your food always looks so amazing! I want to eat what you eat! So do you count calories or just eat healthy?!
So sorry you feel so cruddy! Hope you feel better soon :/

34 Courtney January 6, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Haha, thanks! I definitely don’t count calories – I just try my best to get all the food groups in and make smart choices :)

35 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 6, 2013 at 6:44 pm

Sorry you aren’t feeling well. :( I know so many people that are sick right now. I’m really hoping I don’t catch anything!!

Our weekend was fairly uneventful. But we did pick up our baby crib and dresser/changer yesterday … so fun!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Christmas in Florida: My idea of a “white” (sand) Christmas.

36 Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny January 6, 2013 at 6:57 pm

Hope you are feeling better by now!
Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny recently posted..Buttoning Up & Running

37 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns January 6, 2013 at 7:02 pm

i enjoyed my weekend. hope you get better soon!! aw how sweet of cody :) that salad looks so delish, what a great hubby :)

38 Lauren January 6, 2013 at 7:16 pm

Hope you are feeling much better today hun!
Lauren recently posted..Friday Confessions

39 Brittany @ DulceVie January 6, 2013 at 7:36 pm

I hope that you feel better soon! I also went grocery shopping today :)
Brittany @ DulceVie recently posted..Legally Blonde Marathon

40 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples January 6, 2013 at 10:34 pm

hope u feel better! your breakfast looks delish :) i actually got out and explored a little bit this weekend (i just moved to a new town, so my social life has pretty much consisted of me + my computer + fraiser DVDs lol).. the good news is i realized i’m only 15 mins from the beach! so i see some beach running workouts in the future ;)
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Philippians 4:8

41 Bek @ Crave January 7, 2013 at 12:30 am

Aw hope you feel better soon. I heard foot rubs help? ;)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..You Look Different, Did You Get A Hair Cut?

42 Lena @ Lena's Health & Happiness January 7, 2013 at 3:31 am

Wasa Crispbreads with Strawberry cream cheese and banana slices sounds so good it might just be worth trying…! I always have them with something salty like kaviar but anything strawberry works for me :) Hope it helped cure your cold!
Lena @ Lena’s Health & Happiness recently posted..Cinema under the moonlight

43 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts January 7, 2013 at 8:13 am

I’m so sorry you don’t feel well.. I had the worst head cold when I first found out I was pregnant and couldn’t take anything.. It was so bad I had a blocked tear duct in both eyes and couldn’t see well.. I was a mess. Drink lots of OJ!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Getting Anxious!

44 Barbara January 7, 2013 at 12:25 pm

That’s a cute picture of Cody! Hope you’re feeling better!!