Sick on a Saturday

So yesterday was…ehh. Although I might be feeling slightly better today, yesterday was one of those days where I just wanted to stay curled up in a ball on the couch and not have to move.

Cody was my buddy, of course, and would come to check on me every now and then.

Actually it was more like he’d be in the mood for a good head scratch, so that’s when he’d come and see me. You know, when it was convenient for him. Winking smile

I didn’t take too many photos of food, but I’m happy to report that the cold has had no affect on my appetite (*knock on wood*). In fact, I’m still as hungry as ever. Most of my eats yesterday were mini meals and snacks that I’d grab when I’d eventually have to get up to go to the bathroom or stock up on more tissues.

One snack I did snag a photo of was Wasa crackers with The Laughing Cow strawberry cream cheese and banana slices. This was a new combo for me – definitely a fan!

At one point during the afternoon, I wound up with a small window of feeling halfway decent, so I used that as an opportunity to shower and actually baked some cookie bars.

I attempted to take a cookie recipe I have from Cooking Light and make them into bars, but I slightly overcooked them. It’s too bad, since the flavor of these things is incredible (yes, I could even taste them!) so I think I’ll have to attempt them again another time.

Shortly after I finished baking (and sampling) those, my window of feeling good quickly closed and I was back on the couch. I had zero desire to make anything for dinner, nor did the hubby, so he graciously offered to go out and pick us up a couple of salads from our favorite spot.

That’s an old photo, but this time they actually remembered to keep the olives OFF of there, so it wound up being one of the best salads I’ve had from them in a while.

Jay and I both had a good laugh during dinner though; at one point, he looked over and noticed how slow I was eating. I then explained to him that, because my nose was so plugged, I couldn’t really breathe when I had a mouthful, thus I had to take it slow. It was funny…even if it was at my own expense. Winking smile

*****

Breakfast

I was in bed pretty early last night and wound up getting about ten hours of sleep (albeit extremely interrupted) so by the time I got up this morning, I was hungry for breakfast.

A hot cup of green tea, along with a toasted English muffin with PB&J, as well as a scrambled egg + egg white with spinach, onions, and tomatoes.

From what I could taste, it was a pretty good breakfast. Winking smile

I’m forcing myself to get up and out of the house for a bit today, since I’m sure the fresh air will feel awesome. I do have grocery shopping to do, but we’ll see how the runny nose is later…I totally do not want to be “that person” browsing through all the fresh produce coughing, with tissues in hand. Eeeeeew.

But hey, how’s the rest of the world doing out there? Hopefully you’re out and about enjoying your weekend!

Comments

Ugh Court, I feel your pain! I’m so sorry you’re not feeling well. I know it doesn’t sound good, but a slower walk helped me and loosened stuff up in my head and nose. I never ended up getting one, but a few people have recommended the neti pot too. I hope today is better! Hugs!
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Healthy Banana Bread

Glad you are starting to feel better! We are having a lazy weekend here, watched the packers win their wild card game last night!!! On tap for today, running and chasing my 8 month old around- he loves to get into everything these days!!!
    Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..2012: in review

3. Jenna says

Hope you start to feel better asap!! I’ve been feeling the exact same as you for a few days now…yuck! night time and sleeping is the worst. :( I think a walk is in the works for me today…I think it will help! neti pots are life savers!!

Awwwh, feel better soon! I think the best medicine is feeling absolutely guilt-free lazy, rather do less than more, to give your (double-!) busy body time to rest and focus on fighting this cold. Also lots of home-made chicken soup (just get some chicken on the bone, carrots, celery, onion and thyme, throw in the slow cooker on low for 7-8h or 3-4h on high, best stock ever, but throw away the carrots, celery and onion and use just the stock) and make some soup. Lots of hot liquid helps flush the system. I also swear by 2 packets of emergency-C drinks 1-2 a day. — And no work tomorrow! You don’t want to make a bad impression by getting 2/3 of your colleagues sick, right ? :-)
    Silvia @skinny jeans food recently posted..Chocolate Amaretto Cake

Feel better Courtney! At least you have Cody to keep you company, I swear cats just know when you feel sick. I definitely think the best thing is to take it super easy, rest, water, soup!
    Lisa recently posted..Confessions

6. Marielle says

Hor you are feeling better!! Sucks being sick on a weekend :( those cookie bars look awesome….ever made them and now I intrigued!
    Marielle recently posted..DietBet

7. Celeste@HealthfulMindBodyandSoul.com says

I hope you feel better soon, I feel your pain, I started to feel bad yesterday and today I can hardly get out of bed. Trying hard to get better before work tomorrow.

8. Cara says

Cody is so adorable! And I totally get what you mean about eating and having to breathe at the same time. I’ve experienced that recently with a cold and it’s definitely not pleasant. :/ I hope you feel better soon!

Being sick is the worst !

You’re right though – getting outdoor and even getting some exercise has an amazing way of clearing your head (and your nose!) Also – lots of raw garlic because it is an antimicrobial (fights bacteria in your body!)

10. Michelle says

Ah I know exactly what you mean about the breathing between bites!! I’ve been having to do that for the last couple days and it SUCKS! Hope you feel better soon! :)

Yuck for still feeling crappy. Good thing you have the weekend to rest up! And I was not a coughing person in the produce section today, but I was that person who was walking waaaay too slowly that you want to punch because I was a little ::ahem:: sore today. #thatsgoingtogetafewwtfs
    chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..fun facts friday

Feel better Courtney! There seems to be a lot of bugs going around lately, I caught one to grr. Ps. Cody seems to be getting cuter and cuter.

Yuck, no fun. I hope you pick up soon! That first picture of Cody is really cute. Whenever I’m sick or upset and at my parent’s house, my dog seems to really pick up on it. He becomes super attentive and stays close. It’s so funny how pets can sense those kinds of things. Especially when you give them the same attention right back. 😉
    Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..“Taste the Rainbow”

Your food always looks so amazing! I want to eat what you eat! So do you count calories or just eat healthy?!
    So sorry you feel so cruddy! Hope you feel better soon :/

• Courtney says

Haha, thanks! I definitely don’t count calories – I just try my best to get all the food groups in and make smart choices :)

hope u feel better! your breakfast looks delish :) i actually got out and explored a little bit this weekend (i just moved to a new town, so my social life has pretty much consisted of me + my computer + fraiser DVDs lol).. the good news is i realized i’m only 15 mins from the beach! so i see some beach running workouts in the future 😉
    Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Philippians 4:8

I’m so sorry you don’t feel well.. I had the worst head cold when I first found out I was pregnant and couldn’t take anything.. It was so bad I had a blocked tear duct in both eyes and couldn’t see well.. I was a mess. Drink lots of OJ!
    Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Getting Anxious!

Trackbacks