Baby Tooth: 12 Weeks

by Courtney on January 7, 2013

Today is a super exciting day…we have our 12 week prenatal appointment later this morning!! I cannot wait to hear that little heartbeat thumping and see how much he/she has changed in the past four weeks. Eeeek!

12 weeks

Don’t mind the glasses and semi-disheveled look. I was still feeling like garbage. Winking smile

Baby Tooth is just over 12 weeks today, and is about the size of a large plum. By this point, he/she is just about finished forming the critical systems of the body. That means, from here on out, it’s all about grow, grow, growing!

Here’s what else Baby Tooth has been up to this week:

• He/she is about to enter the growth and maturation stage, where the organs and tissues will grow and develop rapidly.
  • He/she is developing reflexes – if I poke the belly, he/she is likely to move (my little dancer!).
  • He/she is opening and closing fingers and curling toes.
  • The brain is developing fast.

And here’s what’s been happening with me this past week:

Weight gained: Looks like about 3-4 pounds.

Workouts: Ehh…I had a couple walking workouts this past week and was hoping for more, but the darn cold sort of nixed that.

Symptoms: This week is a bit different, since the majority of “symptoms” I’ve been feeling the past four days have not been baby-related. BUT…

• only about one day of nausea this week (woo hoo!)
  • not feeling quite as tired (yay!)
  • occasional cramping
  • gassy. Again, sorry, Jay
  • headaches (although not sure if they’re sickness or baby related)
  • sore “girls” and still bloated, but most days are more good than bad.
  • this one is more cold-related, but super stuffy and runny nose. This has, in turn, caused quite an issue for me in the asthma department. A standard cold is always troublesome for me, as it tends to aggravate my asthma quite a bit, but right now it’s bad. I’d been reading quite a bit on what inhalers are okay to take while pregnant, and since I got a ton of conflicting info, I decided to contact my PCP. She had said it’s really only recommended that I take my fast-acting inhaler, which isn’t really doing much for me. I’d say that this is my biggest struggle thus far, and am actually looking into going back to the asthma and allergy specialist that I went to almost two years ago. Hopefully I can get in soon (and get rid of this cold, which certainly isn’t helping!)

Food Aversions: Still not too many. Coffee is hit or miss, but not necessarily in a “omg I can’t be near the stuff” sort of way; more so that I just don’t crave it all the time. Oddly enough, I actually have no desire to go near mouthwash though. Or peppermint. But toothpaste and gum (non-peppermint) are fine.

Food Cravings: Okay, things TOTALLY changed on me this past week! For the past month, I’ve been all about the salty. But this week? Gimme SWEETS.

Like cookies. I craved them in a bad way this weekend, so I made cookie bars.

I’ve been ALL about TJ’s cat cookies this week.

Yogurt bowls have been incredible.

My Christmas candy (or any chocolate) has never tasted so good.

I even tried to convince Jay that we needed to buy Pop Tarts while we were grocery shopping yesterday (seriously?!? Where did that come from? – We did not buy them.)

Of course, there are still a few items I’m loving that aren’t totally sugar-laden like avocados, toast with butter, peanut butter and jelly, and cheese. I also actually didn’t have any Whopper cravings this week…but I did come across a photo of a Five Guys burger and fries and have been thinking about it ever since.

Sleep – No bueno this week, but I’m attributing most of that to the cold.

Looking Forward To – TODAY!! I’m also looking forward to talking over some names with Jay. We’ve been tossing some around here or there, but I’m looking forward to having more fun with that.

I’ll most likely have an update later this week after today’s appointment! Smile

1 lisa fine January 7, 2013 at 7:07 am

Enjoy the appointment! I love reading and learning about pregnancy – I find it fascinating.

And hope you feel better soon. That’s scary about the asthma getting triggered. I had bad asthma as a kid, and remember hating having colds and allergies because of the wheezing

2 Stephanie @ Steph's Miles January 7, 2013 at 7:15 am

Good luck at your appointment! And you’re totally wrong – you look adorable in your 12 week photo! Super cute in glasses!
Stephanie @ Steph’s Miles recently posted..MIMM: New Year, New Me!

3 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 7, 2013 at 7:18 am

Have fun at your appointment today! You better let me know how it goes!! :)
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..what i’m loving lately

4 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 7, 2013 at 7:28 am

Good luck at your appointment and I hope you feel better! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Coupon Filled Weekend!!…

5 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 7, 2013 at 7:31 am

Have a great appointment today!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Froyo Prepares You For Anything.

6 Sherri January 7, 2013 at 7:38 am

You look gorgeous – sick or not! Also it’s funny that CHEESE is one of your cravings too. I seriously could eat a truckload of mozzarella every day.

Excited to read about your appointment. Enjoy listening to that amazing little heartbeat :)

7 Alyssa @ LIfe of blyss January 7, 2013 at 7:38 am

Aaah, I love reading your updates. I again get so excited for you every time I hear something new! Good luck today, I wanna hear all about it. :) xoxo
Alyssa @ LIfe of blyss recently posted..Vegan Chocolate Chip Banana Bread

8 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 7, 2013 at 8:35 am

Ahhh YAY! Can’t wait for you to hear the little one’s heartbeat today! It’s the best sound ever. :) Oh, and the Pop Tart thing made me laugh out loud because I can totally relate! I’ve mostly craved salty over my pregnancy, but my sweet tooth still makes an appearance from time to time. There were a few weeks in there that I could not get Pop Tarts off the brain. I never did end up buying them, but I told myself that if I start to crave them again, I’m just going to go for it since I can’t remember the last time I had one. I’m glad the nausea is going away and you’re feeling more energetic. You’re entering into the “honeymoon” trimester, as I’ve heard it called now! ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Operation Nursery

9 Kim@hungryhealthygirl January 7, 2013 at 8:43 am

So excited to hear about your doctor’s appt! I remember always being so anxious for them when I was pregnant!
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Marvelous in my weekend, but not so much in my Monday!

10 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction January 7, 2013 at 8:54 am

You look great!!! Name discussing must be so fun!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..The First Run of 2013

11 Cat @ Breakfast to Bed January 7, 2013 at 9:10 am

I had cramps for ever with the Peanut. Man alive, just when you think you’re done with those for months…..
Cat @ Breakfast to Bed recently posted..A Viking Asshat has Horns

12 Michelle@Peachy Palate January 7, 2013 at 9:12 am

Add cinnamon to your yoghurt and toast to curb the sugar cravings…it should help! Also chlorella, (a seaweed supplement either in powder or tablet form) is great for balancing blood sugar as it is naturally rich in magnesium…having those cookie bars on hand is fantastic alternative though :) Good luck with your appointment, can’t wait to hear all about it!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Top Ten Power Foods & Ingredients

13 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 7, 2013 at 9:22 am

My husband’s favorite restaurant in the world is Five Guys. It might be worth it!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..I’m A Nerd Like That

14 Megan Evans January 7, 2013 at 10:15 am

I was the same way with coffee during my 3 pregnancies. I found, though, that if I drank it black with no sugar, it would settle better with my tummy. And now, ever since then, black is the only way I drink it.
Also, something wierd/funny you might find after pregnancy: My daughter loved a cartoon show during my pregnancy with my son, and now, when it comes on, I get waves of nausea, EVERY TIME! And for each pregnancy, I was in the first trimester during Christmas time, so now, when I get the Christmas decorations out and have to turn the heat on in the house (in FL, we usually have to turn it on once or twice from Dec-Feb :), I get queasy…..and it’s been 6 years since I was pregnant! It sounds like your morning sickness isn’t as bad as mine was, so hopefully that won’t happen to you ;) Best wishes….and try to enjoy every moment of your pregnancy…it will be soooooo worth it!

15 My Neon Running Shoes January 7, 2013 at 10:26 am

So excited to hear how your appointment goes! Some of the most exciting days of your life if I can be sappy…
My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Um it’s cold here.

16 Kierston January 7, 2013 at 11:23 am

You are just so sweet :)
Kierston recently posted..Little Things Monday #4: Finding Happiness in the Little Things!

17 Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength January 7, 2013 at 11:31 am

Awwww good luck at your appointment. So happy for you guys! You’re right at the point where you will probably be feeling a lot better. :)
Amanda Perry @ Sistas of Strength recently posted..How to Work Out in the Morning

18 Sara January 7, 2013 at 11:55 am

I love reading about your pregnancy. So exciting. And I also am encouraged that the sickness ends! I have my 8 wk appt tomorrow and I feel like I’ll never be able to eat anything but saltines ever again!

19 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 7, 2013 at 11:56 am

Good luck! I love seeing how excited you are to be a mommy :) Its fun watching your journey!
Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well recently posted..Maybe Yoga Ain’t My Thing

20 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples January 7, 2013 at 12:00 pm

curling little fingers and toes! too cute!! :) so exciting ♥
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Exercise and Mood: The Basics

21 Valerie @ FreshMutz January 7, 2013 at 12:38 pm

I love reading your Baby Tooth posts and look forward to hearing about your appointment. I think you should have gotten the Pop Tarts (because when you mentioned them I developed an instant and intense craving). No baby on the way. I guess I just like frosted-fruit filled pastries a lot… blueberry in particular.
Valerie @ FreshMutz recently posted..April Showers Bring May Flowers and Another Foodie Pen Pal Package

22 Courtney January 7, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Haha, brown sugar for me ;)

23 Danica @ It's Progression January 7, 2013 at 12:50 pm

You look great, girl!! I hope your appointment is tons of fun today :)
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..pics of the day 1.6.13

24 Audra January 7, 2013 at 12:55 pm

Every time a picture of you comes up in my reader, I think you are Nina Dobrev. Spitting image! Has anyone ever told you that before?

Congratulations on the pregnancy! You are adorable!

25 Courtney January 7, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I’ve never heard that one (and have actually never even heard of that name, haha!). Who is it? :)

26 Audra January 7, 2013 at 1:35 pm

She plays the lead on The Vampire Diaries.

27 Courtney January 7, 2013 at 1:39 pm

Aww wow, she’s pretty! Haha thank you! :)

28 rachael January 7, 2013 at 1:02 pm

it is funny your craving for poptarts. i have been having these cravings for the frosted strawberry ones since my first trimester. every time i passed them at the grocery store i thought to myself “i wish they just sold one to fulfill my craving”. well those thoughts only last until my 25th week when i bought a small box. they lasted about a week but tasted SO good. go ahead and enjoy them ;)
rachael recently posted..Weekly Photo Challenge – Week 1

29 Courtney January 7, 2013 at 1:28 pm

I may have to when we grocery shop next week. I’m craving the brown sugar ones ;)

30 Presley @ Run Pretty January 7, 2013 at 3:51 pm

So exciting! Are you waiting until your 20 week appointment to find out the sex? We were terrible and went to a private company to see him at around 15 weeks. Looking back, we probably wasted that money (it wasn’t much… but still), but it was so much fun. Hope your appointment today went well!
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted..Post-Baby Body: Month Six Update

31 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 7, 2013 at 3:54 pm

Ah, PopTarts. Ok, I’m not pregnant — obviously — but I still have a hard time resisting them! There are so many new flavors! haha
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Product Review: FRS

32 Amy January 7, 2013 at 5:37 pm

I must have been living under a rock for the past few weeks, or more accurately not plugged into my favourite blogs because I have been out and about too much, because I didn’t know you were pregnant!
Congratulations to you both and I can’t wait to follow Baby Tooth’s journey :)
Amy recently posted..A seat by you at a table for two

33 Sarah January 7, 2013 at 5:48 pm

I am so excited to watch your belly grow :)

34 Bek @ Crave January 7, 2013 at 10:17 pm

Love these posts :) Woohoo, living up to your sweet tooth name ;) Are you leaning towards more traditional names or something unique/original?
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Bowling Date

35 Courtney January 7, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I’m definitely not a traditional name kinda person :)

36 Nicole January 8, 2013 at 7:24 am

Appointments are so much fun! Your cravings sound exactly like mine…and I am having a girl! Can’t wait to see what you are having! SO CUTE!

37 Dorsa @ Running Thoughts January 8, 2013 at 8:54 am

Yay picking names is so much fun!
Dorsa @ Running Thoughts recently posted..Newborn Photography