A Look Back at 2012

by Courtney on January 8, 2013

Well, although we’re already more than week into 2013, I still had to put together a review post for 2012.

I know that not everyone loves reading these posts. I totally get how reviewing everything that has happened for someone else over a year doesn’t always relate to everyone, so if that’s you, feel free to skip ahead. No harm, no foul.

I, however, absolutely love writing these posts, mostly for my own selfish reasons. It gives me the opportunity to reflect back on everything that has happened – all the highs and the lows – and have it all in one place. And I quickly realized, after it took me over an hour and half to compile this post…2012 was a pretty crazy awesome year.

January

Jay and I celebrated our second wedding anniversary.

I was offered a job as a personal trainer at a local gym.

I turned 28.

And on the same day, began my job personal training.

February

We traveled to Mexico and spent the week with six of our best friends/family.

I got to document the engagement of two of my favorite people ever.

March

I got to be on a local radio station talking about health and fitness.

Jay and I were asked to be in Brian and Mal’s wedding.

We celebrated at our annual St. Patty’s Day party (but for some reason, I just discovered that all of the photo links on that post are broken).

April

I was invited back to my old high school to give a presentation about blogging and social media.

STSL turned two!

Celebrated Easter with all sorts of good food…and candy. Winking smile

May (possibly my busiest month of the year!)

I traveled to Colorado and spent a long weekend at the Blend Retreat, meeting (and seeing again) some awesome blogging buddies.

I was invited to attend the Fitness Magazine Meet & Tweet event in NYC.

I got to tour Boston with some great blogging buddies.

I was invited to Reebok HQ and got to spend the day doing killer workouts and learning more about the brand, which I now love.

I celebrated and helped plan my friend Rachel’s bridal shower.

Jay and I hosted a ridiculously fun Memorial Day party.

June

I celebrated and helped plan my friend Kathryn’s bridal shower.

I made cocktails on TV!

I was featured in Fitness Magazine for winning a Fitterati award.

July

I celebrated my friend Rachel’s wedding.

I also announced my struggles with Hypothalamic Amenorrhea and my plans to try and combat it.

August

We decided to re-do our living room.

I spent the weekend in Burlington, VT for my friend Kathryn’s Bachelorette party.

I attended the Healthy Living Summit for the third year in a row, and presented on a panel for the second time.

Participated in the 2012 Summer Yard Olympics and won a medal!

September

I celebrated my friend Kathryn’s wedding.

Continued to commit to battle HA, and accepted having to buy larger jeans.

Had a ridiculously fun weekend with friends on a wine tour.

We danced our faces off at Seth and Nicole’s wedding.

And then the following weekend, celebrated our third wedding of the month for our cousins, Denise and Mike.

October

Traveled to the Jets game with Jay and my parents.

November

Jay and I attended our first Turkey Bowl, hosted by our friends Seth and Nicole.

I helped plan and attended Mal’s bridal shower.

I also found out some VERY big news the following day. Open-mouthed smile

I was invited to Reebok HQ for the second time, and had a blast catching up with everyone, learning even more about the product, and participating in a modified CrossFit WOD.

December

Jay and I hosted a super fun Christmas party, and had a blast telling our friends some big news.

I started a brand new, full time, 8-5 job (and am loving it).

And finally…

I wrote the most exciting post I’ve ever written, announcing to the world that Jay and I are expecting our first, long-awaited baby. Smile

2012 was an unbelievable year. While there were a few struggles and downs, overall, everything really came together for us in 2012. I consider myself so incredibly lucky for all for all of the wonderful things I have in my life, and the opportunities that I’ve had.

As great as 2012 was though, I have a feeling that 2013 is going to be even MORE exciting…and I can’t wait to see what else happens!

Question for the Afternoon:

What were some of your highlights in 2012?

1 Miss Polkadot January 8, 2013 at 3:08 pm

Wow, you had such a lot going on in 2012! I DO like these kind of review posts because it lets you get to know the blogger even better. Especially because I haven’t been reading your blog for too long yet – BTW: I like it a lot! Also, I think the highlights you chose tell something about you, too :): That friends and family play a huge role in your life and that’s great!

One of my highlights in 2012 was interning at “Runner’s World” and getting to know many sweet people and having a lot of awesome chances while being there. I wouldn’t want to miss this time!
Miss Polkadot recently posted..Happy New Year and setting [realistic] goals

2 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 8, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Highlight of my year was passing my CPT exam and running my first race (which quickly turned into 3 races)! :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Priceless

3 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 8, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Your 2012 was great! :) The highlight of my 2012 was marrying my husband after dating for over 7 years and going on our honeymoon to Antigua.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..It’s So Delicious!!…

4 Just Keep Sweating (@juskeepsweating) January 8, 2013 at 3:14 pm

Love this!! I was at the fitness meet and tweet… was standing next to you a few times but was far too shy to say anything –LOSSSSSSERRRR lol
Just Keep Sweating (@juskeepsweating) recently posted..5 Things That Are Making Me Happy Today

5 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 8, 2013 at 3:16 pm

You had quite the awesome year Court! Cheers to an even better 2013! ;) xoxo
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Week 27: Natural or Epidural?

6 Beth @ Lessons Life Teaches Me January 8, 2013 at 3:17 pm

You had an exciting year from start to finish. I love reading everyone’s year end highlights. My highlight was marrying my husband on the wettest day Pensacola, FL had seen since 1887, but it was an amazing day!

7 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections January 8, 2013 at 3:23 pm

How cow, woman! WHAT A YEAR! Impressive to read through all that you’ve done. I really look up to you as a blogger and a person. How fun that you got to go to Colorado and Boston! I’m from Colorado, Boston-bound right now. Both favorite places of mine.

Congrats on a year well-spent, in my opinion! You’re going places!
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Manicure Monday: Nude for the New Year

8 Lisa January 8, 2013 at 3:36 pm

I like review posts, it gives a good idea of all the awesome things you did throughout the year! Got to say the baby post was probably the best though:) It looks like you had a really, really great year! Here’s to another one!

9 Paige Cunningham January 8, 2013 at 3:38 pm

I read your blog every day and and feel like such a freak but whenever you talk about baby tooth I get shivers and wanna cry! I swear I’m not crazy – just so happy for such a deserving person, 2013 will be EVEN BETTER for you!

10 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 8, 2013 at 3:39 pm

You had a great year, but, you’re right, 2013 is going to be just a tad bit bigger!!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Expectations

11 Amy @Macncheesenpeas January 8, 2013 at 3:44 pm

wow what an amazing year you have had!! Congrats again on the pregnancy and I can’t wait to see all the amazing things that 2013 has in store for you! :)
Amy @Macncheesenpeas recently posted..Changing My Ways for 2013

12 Geraldine @Go Ger Go! January 8, 2013 at 3:45 pm

Wow, what a great year! You are such an inspiration. Can’t wait to see what happens for STSL in 2013 :-)
Geraldine @Go Ger Go! recently posted..Bridesmaid Dress Shopping–Treat or Torture?

13 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes January 8, 2013 at 3:47 pm

What a blessed year for sure! Our struggles make us stronger and you definitely proved you are capable of handling some tough stuff! I admire you!
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Yes, I did get passed on the slopes by a 2 year old.

14 Tina @ Best Body Fitness January 8, 2013 at 4:01 pm

Wow! Definitely a great year with so many big things going on. And I gotta say…I hope our paths cross again (and preferably more than once!) in 2013. :)
Tina @ Best Body Fitness recently posted..Reward Yourself

15 Lauren @ Berry Sweet Lauren January 8, 2013 at 4:11 pm

Wow! What a successful year! And how awesome it is to have it all documented so you can look back years from now! Among other things, that is one of my main goals when starting up my little blog recently. Love reading about all these events and can’t wait to see what 2013 brings :)
Lauren @ Berry Sweet Lauren recently posted..Crime Fighters

16 Sarah January 8, 2013 at 4:21 pm

I think these posts are great. The only thing better would be if I missed one to catch up on :) but lucky for me I caught them all. 2012 was a great year and I know 2013 will be even better for you. Congrats on everything!

17 Sarah January 8, 2013 at 4:22 pm

Your year was so much more fun than mine!
2012 was one that I anticipated coming for awhile. I got into graduate school and moved 700 miles away from home. It was exciting and scary all at the same time. I did not know a sole in town except my roommate but I have managed to really adjust well and happy to call my new location home. I also traveled a lot which is a perk of school :)
I think that 2013 will be busy but more stable. We all need an off/stable year :)
I absolutely love your blog and think you and Jay are just adorable. I can’t wait to cyber-meet baby tooth!

18 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 8, 2013 at 4:31 pm

I love reading posts like this; 2012 was a busy year for you but I have a feeling 2013 is going to top it with the arrival of Baby Tooth! :-)
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..A Night at the PA Farm Show, Part 1

19 Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets January 8, 2013 at 4:54 pm

Aw! I love re-caps like this! It’s great for you to look back on, but also fun for us to read :) You had an amazing year from the looks of it, particularly in the wedding department ;) Highlights of my year were going on a Europe trip with my boyfriend & getting a promotion!
Ashley @ Sweat for Sweets recently posted..a fresh start

20 Linz @ Itz Linz January 8, 2013 at 5:35 pm

PRing in two half marathons on back to back weekends!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..The Average Guy Workout

21 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots January 8, 2013 at 5:39 pm

Love year end recaps! You certainly had a stellar year and a great ending finding out your having that little bundle of joy!
Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots recently posted..Cranberry, Blueberry Yogurt Bread

22 Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves January 8, 2013 at 5:58 pm

What a great year you have had! Congrats on everything :)
Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves recently posted..Armed and Dangerous with a Rose

23 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats January 8, 2013 at 6:04 pm

I just started reading your blog recently so I really like this recap…kinda gets me up to speed! Seems like a great year :)
Karen @ Runner Girl Eats recently posted..A keg of chai tea

24 Madison January 8, 2013 at 6:21 pm

I love this recap! :) Thanks for sharing!
Madison recently posted..Tone-It-Up Tuesday: Leg Burners

25 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction January 8, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I love reading these kinds of posts! And writing them too :) You have had a great year! :) Hope the next is even better!
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Winter Fashion Tips

26 Juile January 8, 2013 at 6:59 pm

Wow! What a great year for you Courtney both personally and professionally…lots of good stuff, which is why your blog is so much fun to read. Can’t wait to see what next year brings! For me, my biggest things were graduating college and moving to the “real world!”

27 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 8, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Wow – you definitely had a busy year! I can’t believe STSL is only about 2 1/2 years old…I feel like you’ve been doing it for longer than that! And somehow, I think I can predict what you’re most excited for in 2013 :-p

My big moments of 2012: starting a blog (yay!), moving to a new city and becoming part of an official “common-law” couple and going back to school so I can get my MA.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..freEDom: Breaking Away from Perfectionist Tendencies.

28 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples January 8, 2013 at 8:39 pm

wow! that is a crazy busy, *amazing* year!! you must be so happy – esp with how it ended ;) sounds like there’s only more good things to come! ♥
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Back By Popular Demand: Why Did Women Suddenly Stop Fainting?

29 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 8, 2013 at 8:43 pm

Wow. You have definitely had a momentous and successful year. Congrats on all of your accomplishments! :)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Avocado and Tomato Grilled Cheese: The Best Homemade Grilled Cheese!

30 Katy January 8, 2013 at 9:42 pm

WOW! You had soo many wedding related things this year. The biggest highlight of 2012 was definitely my wedding. :-)
Katy recently posted..Happy Happy Joy Joy

31 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 8, 2013 at 10:03 pm

I think I just clicked the link to every single thing you had linked on this post…oops! I love reading through your posts and seeing your vibrance and optimism. Please keep blogging!

32 Courtney January 8, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Haha, will do! ;)

33 ashley@cupcakesncrunches January 8, 2013 at 10:18 pm

It looks like you had a wonderful year and it sounds like 2013 will be even more exciting since your family is growing!
ashley@cupcakesncrunches recently posted..New Year Circuit Workout

34 Emilie @ Hungry Delights January 8, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Love being here reading your blog during 2012 and enjoying all of your fun/sad/informative announcements (especially baby-tooth! sooo excited!)
Emilie @ Hungry Delights recently posted..Recap on 2012 New Year Resolutions

35 Brittany @ DulceVie January 8, 2013 at 11:12 pm

What an awesome year for you!! My favorite part from 2012 was traveling to London and Paris, attending a Coldplay concert, and getting into my #1 college :)
Brittany @ DulceVie recently posted..Back to School

36 Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny January 9, 2013 at 1:45 am

What an amazing year!
Alicia @NeverEverBeenSkinny recently posted..Tuesday: Re-Boot Day 2

37 Nicole January 9, 2013 at 12:27 pm

I wish I had a blog so I could do this! haha looks like you had an amazing year! Good for you & your extending family :) I’m sorry about the horrible doctor appointment too, some people have HORRIBLE social skills and can’t communicate something properly and with respect.

38 Alaina January 9, 2013 at 2:49 pm

The best thing of 2012 for me and my husband was buying a piece of land and building our first house together. :-) 2013 is the year of my new job and who knows what 2014 will bring! ;-)
Alaina recently posted..Getting Into a New Routine

39 Bek @ Crave January 10, 2013 at 1:40 am

You’ve had a fantastic year- thanks for sharing :)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Body Balance 59