Our 12 Week Prenatal Appointment

by Courtney on January 8, 2013

In case you missed me gushing over it yesterday, yesterday was an absolutely great day. We had our 12 week prenatal appointment, and I was thrilled to leave that appointment knowing that Baby Tooth was looking “perfect” according to both my doctor and the ultrasound tech.

(*There are ultrasound pics ahead, so if they aren’t your thing, feel free to pass on this post!)

The appointment itself lasted a bit longer than I expected – almost an hour and a half – including a thorough ultrasound (also known as an NT scan), a check up on the ol’ lady parts, and blood work.

First up was the ultrasound, which was awesome because it was definitely the one thing I was most looking forward to. Almost immediately after Baby Tooth was up on the screen, he/she started giving us a show! For one, it seriously looked like he/she was waving to us. No joke! The arm was above its head waving back and forth, almost as if he/she was saying “Hi mom and dad! Here I am!” My heart immediately melted.

It’s so crazy to believe that four weeks ago, Baby Tooth looked like this…

It just boggles my mind that so much can happen in such a short amount of time. It really is just crazy.

So the 12 week appointment began the first part of the genetic screening tests that can be done. Jay and I both discussed what we did and didn’t want to have ahead of time, and we ultimately decided on just doing the NT scan and the blood work.

The NT scan is a non-invasive ultrasound, which helps assess the baby’s risk of having complications such as Down syndrome (DS), other chromosomal abnormalities, and major congenital heart problems. It does this by measuring the clear (translucent) space in the tissue at the back of the baby’s neck, and according to our OB/GYN, Baby Tooth looked “perfect” in that department.

During the ultrasound, Baby Tooth was EXTREMELY active. I mean, I knew they moved around a bit, but our little one was having his/her own little dance party up in there. He/she was using their little legs to push off the sides of the uterus and was ALL over the place. The tech said on more than one occasion that he/she “looks like a handful” and that “it looks like we have our work cut out for us!” Of course, we were all joking around, but it kept the mood light and kept me beaming from ear to ear.

We also got to hear the heart beat, which was at a solid, 150 beats per minute. Smile

As the tech continued to try to get Baby Tooth to calm down for her to get her scans, we got quite a few fun pictures along the way. I have no idea if this is something that is done everywhere, but my OB/GYN’s office gives a CD with all of the ultrasound pics on it, as well as hard copies.

Each time I go back, I get to bring the CD and they’ll add the new photos so I’ll always have a digital copy. I just love that!

So a few of the photos that the tech took utilized the 4D technology which was absolutely surreal. It’s definitely a weird looking view of the little one, but it’s just so amazing.

At one point, all three of us were literally cracking up in the room because it appeared as if Baby Tooth was striking a pose for us…

It might be sort of hard to make out, but Baby Tooth has his/her left hand up behind its head, and the right hand up to its mouth (possibly sucking its thumb). We were all loving making jokes about how he/she was being such a ham for the camera for us.

After the ultrasound, I had a quick follow up with the doctor (where I found out the due date got moved up to July 19th) and then finished up with some blood work. Some of the blood work tests that are offered are completely optional (such as those that test for cystic fibrosis and Tay-Sachs), but in the end, Jay and I decided to just do the full workup. We probably won’t hear anything back on this for a while, since I’ll need to do the second part of the screen at my next visit next month, but we both had a good feeling about it.

So that’s that! Our next appointment is at 16 weeks, so I’ve got another month to wait before I get to see little Baby Tooth’s dance moves…

I’m already counting down the days. Smile

1 Lauren January 8, 2013 at 8:08 am

Amazing Courtney!!!! :) This post just made my morning.
Lauren recently posted..Fish Fiesta

2 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 8, 2013 at 8:24 am

Awww how FUN! Love it! I’m a tad jealous you get to see your little one so often. We only got an ultrasound at 8 and 21 weeks. I think they should give one every month! ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Week 27: Natural or Epidural?

3 Nelly January 8, 2013 at 9:18 am

Yea thats not normal! We only got the 8 and 20 week ultrasound too! Your Lucky!!
Nelly recently posted..Motherhood and Fitness

4 Courtney January 8, 2013 at 9:21 am

Really? Hmmmm…well maybe my 16 week appt won’t include an ultrasound? I know I have to do more blood work, but I guess I just assumed it would include another scan too! I know I have appointments every month – are they more just check ups?

5 Steph January 8, 2013 at 10:49 am

I think all offices are different, but we just get the 12 week NT scan and then a 20 week anatomy scan as well. The in-between appointments are just check-ups for us (though I think they do use the doppler to hear the heart!).

My 12 week is tomorrow – this post made me verrrry excited to see the little one!!

6 Lynn January 8, 2013 at 12:02 pm

No, not normal, we hardly got any ultrasounds and we certainly didn’t get a cd or 3d/4d shots. Now I wish that I went to your OB’s office! We’re going up to Baby Bumps in Saratoga on Thursday to see what this little guys face looks like. I’m hoping that at 28 1/2 weeks we’ll get a good shot and that he’s cooperative… He was NOT at our anatomy scan at 18 1/2 weeks, and that was the last time I got to see him. Thursday will be the last I see him until he’s in my arms… seems so far off.

Just wait till you can FEEL all of that baby movement! It’s my favorite thing about being pregnant :)

7 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 8, 2013 at 4:12 pm

Court, I’m thinking you got more ultrasounds because of your situation. I know a few other (HA) women that were monitored more often with scans because of everything. But yes, I get a check up every 4 weeks… Some appointments are more involved than others. For example, some appointments they just listened for the heartbeat and checked my measurements and then others (like today) they drew blood and all that for my glucose tolerance testing.

8 Danielle January 8, 2013 at 8:36 am

Are you going to find out if it is a boy tooth or a girl tooth?

9 Courtney January 8, 2013 at 8:37 am

Definitely! :)

10 Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries January 8, 2013 at 8:38 am

SO EXCITING!
Colleen @ The Lunchbox Diaries recently posted..A Different Kind of Hoarder

11 Molly Petsch January 8, 2013 at 8:39 am

My baby is 3 1/2 months already (time truly flies!)! Your ultrasound pictures took me back to such a special time, one you never forget. You never forget seeing your baby move around on the screen; one time he kicked and it was so amazing to see and feel it at the same time! Anyway, congrats and enjoy the journey; it’s such a miracle!

12 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 8, 2013 at 8:42 am

That’s so cute! You may be enrolling him/her in dance lessons in the future :-p
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..freEDom: Breaking Away from Perfectionist Tendencies.

13 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 8, 2013 at 8:47 am

Oh my gosh! Those pictures are absolutely incredible! :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..It’s So Delicious!!…

14 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire January 8, 2013 at 8:55 am

Amazing! I love that you are documenting this on the blog, it will be so fun one day for you and the baby (then older) to look back and be able to read your thoughts and feelings throughout your pregnancy. So sweet. :)

15 Danica @ It's Progression January 8, 2013 at 8:55 am

Yay!! So glad the appointment went well…the pictures are amazing!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..6 years

16 Heather (Heather's Dish) January 8, 2013 at 8:59 am

Oh Courtney, this post makes my heart explode for you guys! It only gets better from here :)
Heather (Heather’s Dish) recently posted..Maple Peanut Butter Date Balls

17 cassi January 8, 2013 at 9:02 am

Those pictures are incredible!!! What a blessing. :)
cassi recently posted..Gotta love breakfast x2! HIIT Love.

18 My Neon Running Shoes January 8, 2013 at 9:04 am

Baby tooth is looking great! How fun to see him/her! I can’t wait to hear how the 16 week appt goes!
My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Yes, I did get passed on the slopes by a 2 year old.

19 Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine January 8, 2013 at 9:09 am

I am SO excited for you! Baby Tooth is already so cute!
Lauren @ Chocolate, Cheese and Wine recently posted..Light French Toast Souffle

20 Caitlin @ This Bride's Joyride January 8, 2013 at 9:09 am

Amazing!! It’s incredible to see the growth in the past few weeks. So so so exciting :)

21 Shari January 8, 2013 at 9:10 am

So special! :)
Shari recently posted..30 Before 30.

22 Angie January 8, 2013 at 9:24 am

That’s so cool that you got to see him/her in 4d like that!!!!! i have to pay extra for those sort of pics, so awesome!! no that’s not normal! lol you must have a great dr with awesome technology. ;) I’m 34 weeks tomorrow and getting weekly ultrasounds, I’m loving this part of it so I can be sure everything looks good! So happy to hear that your little one is doing great!! Keep growing little peanut!

23 Devon January 8, 2013 at 9:30 am

Ok …what is the story behind the name??? baby tooth??

24 Courtney January 8, 2013 at 9:41 am

Haha I addressed it in an earlier post. It’s a play on “Sweet Tooth.” Sweet Tooth and Baby Tooth. :)

25 Devon January 8, 2013 at 10:41 pm

Ah of course-duh!! How did I not catch on to that- very cute!
!Wishing you and Jay the very best throughout the journey :)

26 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 8, 2013 at 10:04 am

This is so exciting! I am complete baby novice so I have no idea-at what point do you get to find out the gender?
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Expectations

27 Courtney January 8, 2013 at 10:07 am

Usually between 16-20 weeks :)

28 Karen January 8, 2013 at 10:19 am

This is amazing!! I love it!!
Karen recently posted..Happy Birthday Keely!

29 Marielle January 8, 2013 at 10:58 am

Congrats!! I love all the updates and pics- thanks for sharing!!

30 Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson January 8, 2013 at 11:07 am

Love these pictures! I never got a cd of my ultrasound pictures but I did get about 10 hard copies each time I went in. Of course, when I was pregnant with my daughter, my husband was in the military and the Naval Hospital can be a little stingy with ultrasounds. You get two the appointments the entire time you’re pregnant unless the baby doesnt cooperate when getting measurements or you’re high risk. I love that you have a CD. I think that’s great!
Sabrina @Work It Ms Jackson recently posted..Happy New Year and New Goals!

31 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen January 8, 2013 at 11:10 am

How exciting!! The pictures are amazing…what a great way to start out the week!
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Mantras to Get You Moving

32 krystal@coffeecardiogoddess January 8, 2013 at 11:14 am

That pic with the hand behind the head is sooo funny and really neat! Im so happy for you! Glad things are going great!
krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..MIMM: Obsession

33 Annette@FitnessPerks January 8, 2013 at 11:26 am

YAY! SO exciting for you guys!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Fitness Workouts Update

34 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction January 8, 2013 at 11:47 am

Congrats!! Happy for you :)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..Winter Fashion Tips

35 Megan January 8, 2013 at 1:41 pm

Courtney, I dont have children, so I am living vicariously through you! Thanks for sharing your pics and stories along the way. It is so amazing!
Congrats!

36 dee January 8, 2013 at 1:53 pm

Too precious! I’m excited for you and jay! I have my gender prediction, thanks to that little pose in the last picture! :) cute!

37 Courtney January 8, 2013 at 2:59 pm

Ooooo now I’m intrigued! ;)

38 Michelle@Peachy Palate January 8, 2013 at 1:54 pm

The four D pics are crazy, they make it all the more real! So excited for you, keep the posts coming!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..The meal that made Tuesday’s that bit easier

39 Angela January 8, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Ahh! So exciting!! I can’t wait for this one day. :)
Angela recently posted..What I’m Loving Right Now

40 Tara C. January 8, 2013 at 6:49 pm

So fun!! I am currently 17 weeks! We did the 12 week scan/test as well and baby was doing back flips and acrobatics too! Amazing!

You mentioned your next appointment is 16 weeks….we opted to do an elective early gender ultrasound at 15.5 weeks, and found out it’s a boy!! You may want to look into doing that! My Dr. won’t do the “gender scan” until 20 weeks…so we couldn’t wait that long to find out if it was a girl or boy! Lots of cities have private licensed ultrasound business you can go to!

41 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 8, 2013 at 7:44 pm

Aww Baby Tooth is so ready for his/her blog debut! ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Priceless

42 Sarah January 8, 2013 at 11:51 pm

SO exciting! Glad ur baby gave you a wave hello! So adorable!
Sarah recently posted..The Boro Bean

43 Bek @ Crave January 9, 2013 at 12:09 am

Aw the joy and love just oozes out of this post- I’m so glad everything is perfect and can’t wait to meet he/she! Goodluck on the blood work, I’m sure everything will also be perfect in that department.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..CXWORX 9

44 Carol T. January 9, 2013 at 1:17 pm

Courtney:

love the pics…what a miracle…it is amazing what technology can do today… love the idea of the CD, this is one treasured item that you will keep forever..the best to you and Jay…

45 kara January 23, 2013 at 8:02 pm

congrats… you know what they say a fast (totally normal range)heartbeat = girl… i had a little girl and my tech/dr. both made that comment, like we cant say but..