Two Lessons Learned Today

by Courtney on January 14, 2013

I learned something today, my friends.

Well, I guess you could actually say I learned two things. First lesson learned? I am totally still capable of the early morning workout. Yes folks, that says 5:31am…I was up, dressed, and on the treadmill. And you know what? It felt awwwwwwesome.

Second thing I learned? Early morning workouts make me even more of a ravenous* beast than I originally was…and who woulda thought that could happen?

*I originally wrote ravishing here which, obviously, was not the adjective I was going for. I guess that’s what I get for being too hungry to double check my grammar. ;)

Post-workout, I ate a Clif Z Bar coated with peanut butter while getting ready. By the time I made it to work at 8am, my stomach was already growling again. So it was breakfast time.

Coffee + a delicious batch of apple cinnamon overnight oats. Want the details? Here’s how I made ‘em:

• 1/3 cup Coach’s oats
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • 1 spoonful plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 diced apple
  • 2-3 tbsp raisins
  • cinnamon
  • nutmeg

I mixed all of this up last night before going to bed, so this morning, it was all ready to go. All it needed was the generous dollop of peanut butter.

Seriously. Can’t. Get. Enough. Of. The. Stuff.

A couple of hours later, I snacked on a clementine.

And then about an hour after that, I started getting hungry again so I ate an Iced Oatmeal Raisin Luna bar (LOVE these, btw!) while I was out running an errand for work.

By the time I made it back to work, I was already ready to dig into lunch.

And, WOW. This little throw together dish turned out SO much better than I could have ever imagined. All I did was mix up some leftover grilled chicken, roasted kohlrabi, sweet potatoes, feta cheese, and a drizzle of a Greek vinaigrette. Tossed it in the micro for about 2-1/2 minutes, and this was one serious meal.

That meal managed to hold me off for all of about, ohhh, two hours. And then the tummy rumbled again…so we ate.

Some vanilla Chobani mixed with cantaloupe and a kiwi. Totally hit the spot.

Now I’m home, waiting for my baked potato soup to finishing cooking so I can devour that too (oh yeah, I’m excited about this recipe). I already dug in to the fridge and ate the rest of the leftover guacamole from yesterday with some saltines, but I need more.

This hunger is out of CONTROL. And it’s actually quite amusing. Winking smile

1 Claire @ Health Nut Claire January 14, 2013 at 6:40 pm

I went to crossfit this morning at 5:30 am and totally agree with the hunger thing–although I’m not pregnant so I assume mine is a slightly lesser version of yours, haha. You’re roasted veggies make me what to go to the store and get some brussels to roast for dinner tonight (while watching the Biggest Loser and blogging) but that’d make Publix trip numero 3 today! Oy.
Claire @ Health Nut Claire recently posted..TGIF

2 My Neon Running Shoes January 14, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Great job on your morning workout! 5:30 is early… Way to get after it!
My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Lots of good stuff but most importantly: THE BEST BURGER OF ALL TIME.

3 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 14, 2013 at 6:43 pm

Mmm, love overnight oats; those look great! I need to hunt down that Luna bar flavor!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Half Marathon Training Update – 1/13

4 kim@hungryhealthygirl January 14, 2013 at 6:47 pm

Baby Tooth must be growing! Those oats look out of control…yum!

5 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 14, 2013 at 6:52 pm

I’m always hungrier during the day when I work out in the morning too. And eat up lady, you’re growing a bambino. ;)
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..weekend by iphone

6 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 14, 2013 at 6:54 pm

The Iced Oatmeal Luna Bar is delicious! Of course, I like just about every flavor Luna bar!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..World’s Highest Hill

7 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 14, 2013 at 7:02 pm

Go with it, girl! You’re eating healthy, so if you’re hungry, just do it!! :) Baby will thank you!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..28 Weeks: Good-bye Second Trimester!

8 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 14, 2013 at 7:11 pm

And here I was thinking I was going crazy when my early morning workouts would leave me ravenous for the rest of the day. I have no idea why later-in-the-day workouts don’t do that to me, but yup… a workout in the morning pretty much means an insatiable appetite for the rest of the day.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... currently… .

9 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 14, 2013 at 7:14 pm

Great job on that early morning workout! Those definitely are pretty rare for me these days, but it sure does feel good to get it done with right away! Mmm I need to try your apple cinnamon overnight oats – they sound SO good! And get used to the hunger thing. ;) Although, it’s pretty random for me. Some days I’ll be a ravenous beast and the next day, my appetite will be slim to none. I just roll with it! ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Hypothalamic Amenorrhea FAQ

10 Gillian January 14, 2013 at 7:23 pm

I get the same way! I ran this morning (first pre-work work-out in a LONG time) and was basically snacking the entire day. Then again, I’m not eating for two ;)
Gillian recently posted..Vermont New Years Eve – Part Two

11 Fizz @fizzsbizz January 14, 2013 at 7:34 pm

Hahah this post made me laugh! I always laugh at myself when I have one of those days when I feel like I’m literally counting the seconds until my next meal!
You’re growing another person lady, eat up! I love that you’re embracing your growing appetite and showing us all how to snack, and snack healthy!
Yay for you!
Fizz @fizzsbizz recently posted..Holiday Flip!

12 Kathryn January 14, 2013 at 7:35 pm

I was famished all through my first pregnancy, even with the daily bouts of nausea. I remember the first time it hit. I was having dinner, my ex had made steak (big steak, like 10 oz, I usually only ate half) and a bag of frozen corn. I ate my entire steak, half the corn, then went back for the other steak he had made for leftovers. Yeah, I made myself stop there. I could not eat enough, though. After that night, I was careful to eat healthier (lots and LOTS of salads, baby loved them), but he and I both just looked at what I ate and went “whoa!”
Kathryn recently posted..2013 So Far

13 Audrey Adams January 14, 2013 at 7:41 pm

Can you make my food for me? Lol, just kidding. I just really love your meals. They looks so yummyyyy!
And awesome job at the early morning workout. If I lived about 10 minutes closer to my school, I could easily wake up at 5:30 and get in a 20-30 minute workout. That would be pretty dandy.
Audrey Adams recently posted..Legs ‘n’ Abs workout

14 Madison January 14, 2013 at 7:45 pm

Wow! That is awesome about you getting up super early and working out–good for you. :) I completely understand about being famished the entire day after working out.
Madison recently posted..Monday Funday

15 Jessica January 14, 2013 at 7:46 pm

I’m due July 23rd, and I’ve been starving 24/7. I will eat and be pretty full and think I will be good for a while, and sure enough my stomach is growling 2 hours later! The babe is growing!!

16 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections January 14, 2013 at 7:50 pm

So crazy that hunger is uncontrolable during pregnancy. I follow several bloggers who are pregnant, and one of my friends is right now too. They ALL blog about this same thing, that they are ridiculously ravished all the time. I don’t even want to know what I’m going to be like when I’m preggers!!

I love Luna Bar’s too, but I’ve never tried that one. It seems like certain stores only carry certain ones, so I actually go to a different store just to get my Luna Bar’s in the flavor I like best. I have to track that one down next time!
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Back to Healthy January: Week 2 Recap

17 Lauren January 14, 2013 at 8:13 pm

I woke up STARVING this morning, so hungry in fact that I couldn’t fathom not eating before my morning run. That never happens to me but today, I went with it. Your meals today = so so tasty! Craving some overnight oats now. :)
Lauren recently posted..The Final Meal: Beet, Blood Orange, Avocado Salmon Salad

18 alyssa - life a la wife January 14, 2013 at 8:20 pm

If I work out in the morning my hunger is out of control during the day too!
alyssa – life a la wife recently posted..Sunday Stuff – 1/13

19 Danica @ It's Progression January 14, 2013 at 8:33 pm

I’m not going to lie, I’m a little jealous of being so hungry! I love those days where I’m hungry enough to each a few snacks between my meals :) Oh, and I love that you said “we” ate — cute!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..a quick core workout.

20 Andrea January 14, 2013 at 8:46 pm

Is that an app or just part of the I phone. I’m getting one at the end of the month and trying to learn as much as I can before then.

21 Courtney January 14, 2013 at 9:06 pm

It’s an app! It’s called RunKeeper

22 Annette@FitnessPerks January 14, 2013 at 8:48 pm

NICE job getting up so early. Definite pat on your back! :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Cars, Movies, BodyPUMP, Food & Love

23 Mer January 14, 2013 at 8:52 pm

I think I’m going to need to make those oats… Drooling!

24 Kaitlyn January 14, 2013 at 9:06 pm

you just made me laugh out loud because you literally described my day. i somehow managed to wake-up for the 5:30am Crossfit class and couldnt believe how it kick started my appetite all day either. it was a crazy busy day at work and my constant hunger was borderline comical. glad you can relate ;)

25 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 14, 2013 at 9:23 pm

I love early morning workouts but they definitely set your metabolism going! ;)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Music Monday / Nathan K

26 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 14, 2013 at 9:35 pm

That lunch looks SERIOUSLY good. What a great combination of deliciousness!

Great job working out so EARLY this morning. I saw your post on Twitter when I was getting ready for work and was truly impressed. It definitely inspired me and I hope to become more motivated to get things accomplished before my work days begin. That would certainly help to free up my nights and allow for a bit more relaxation in the PM.
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..“Little Smokies” Vegetarian Meatballs

27 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 14, 2013 at 10:32 pm

Can’t you be a ravishing beast too? :-p

I don’t usually do early morning workouts anymore (my gym doesn’t open until 8 am…that’s a small university gym for you) but I did really love it when I was doing it over the summer!
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..Most Creative Gift Ever + Sushi with Blends.

28 Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills January 14, 2013 at 10:49 pm

I wish I could eat as much as you! Everything you eat looks so good and I am craving guacamole ever since your last post about it.
Danielle @ Truffles n’ Treadmills recently posted..Amazing People of the Blog World

29 Khushboo January 14, 2013 at 10:57 pm

I’m sitting here debating whether to go workout now (morning) or in the evening- thanks for swaying me towards the latter. But if my motivation dwindles by then, I’m coming to find you ;)!
Khushboo recently posted..The Yoga House: nom instead of om

30 Barbara January 15, 2013 at 12:27 am

Can totally relate, was in gym before 5 to make sure to get spot in 5:30 am spin class, then i work for the nys senate that went into session until 11:30 pm tonight, a over 16 hour workday, that I was either hungry or thought I was coming down with the flu all day.

31 Ellie@Fit for the Soul January 15, 2013 at 1:07 am

Wow, great job getting yourself active so early in the morning! I’m kind of a morning person but I don’t think I’ve ever had the “courage” to do any working out so early. Yikes, it’s scary thinking about it! hhah! And I don’t know if you’ve mentioned this before, but it seems like you’re having a very good pregnancy in terms of no-morning-sickness. Is that right? I think that is SUCHHHHH a blessing :D
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Orange Pancakes with Zesty Coconut Cream+Cuppies Review

32 Michelle@Peachy Palate January 15, 2013 at 3:35 am

Your eating all good healthy nourishing food though, got to respond to the cravings! Baby must be experiencing a growth spurt :) Love those through together lunches, always such a nice belly filling surprise!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Bit of bread for the win

33 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen January 15, 2013 at 4:41 am

I can totally relate!!! When I work out in the morning (which is most mornings) and then sit at work all day, it’s literally like I could eat and eat and eat and eat all day long….! Thank goodness for preparing meals ahead of time and packing “emergency” snacks!
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Calling All Original Italian Recipes!

34 Holly January 15, 2013 at 7:05 am

I’m totally still guessing BOY! Only because so many of the foods you are eating are foods I could NOT for the life of me get down…including peanut butter. That’s when I knew I had a crazy kid, not letting me eat peanut butter…is she insane?! ;) Haha! Can’t wait to hear about your dinner recipe!

35 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 15, 2013 at 8:54 am

Haha, your so funny to read about, Girl You Eatin’ For Two! I noticed you wrote you used Chobani. I’ve had Chobani maybe twice (my Trader Joe’s doesn’t sell it), and was curious to how it compares to Fage 0% Greek Yogurt. Which do you think is better?
Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well recently posted..That Oil Went Where…?

36 Courtney January 15, 2013 at 8:56 am

I honestly love them both. Chobani is just slightly cheaper so I tend to get that brand :)

37 Jenn January 15, 2013 at 9:35 am

Hahaha…this is too funny! I feel the same way. yes, I am pregnant but even before, early A.M. workouts have that effect. way to fit it all in and be working full time! You need lots of fuel to nourish your busy schedule, YOU and Bay tooth!

P.S. making your lean beef crock pot stew tonight and can’t wait for dinner time : )
Jenn recently posted..It’s been way too long…

38 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction January 15, 2013 at 9:37 am

I love clementines! On sale this week at Price Chopper :) Though the box I bought on Sunday is not that great.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..Weekly Weigh In

39 Cori January 15, 2013 at 9:54 am

Iced Oatmeal Raisin is my favorite Luna Bar! That combo of cantaloupe and vanilla yogurt looks delicious btw! Great idea :-)

40 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 15, 2013 at 10:40 am

I agree, early morning workouts make me superrr hungry all day long it seems! Good thing you brought plenty of snacks with you for work. Sometimes I find I don’t bring enough, that’s when the jar of almond butter I always have comes in handy :) haha
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..I Heart Groupon Goods

41 Lynn January 15, 2013 at 10:50 am

I need to tart incorporating early morning workouts into my week. When I get home from work I want to spend time with my husband and two year old, not think about working out. What time do you get to sleep now to wake up so early?

42 Courtney January 15, 2013 at 11:11 am

Usually around 10pm, but I could afford to get into bed a little earlier than that. Darn Bachelor keeping me up late ;)

43 Amber January 15, 2013 at 12:21 pm

Do you cook your oats before you put them in the fridge?

44 Courtney January 15, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Nope! I just let them soak overnight so they’re nice and soft the next morning.

45 kbarr428 January 15, 2013 at 12:48 pm

Hi Courtney,

Question for you… how accuratly do you take the caloric count from a Treadmill? Im sure it not that big of a deal now when you are expecting, but for those of us dieting/exercising/exchanging calories- how accurate do you think the machines are?

Thanks!

46 Courtney January 15, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I actually neverrrrr use the calorie counts on treadmills! They are probably one of the least accurate calorie counters to go by, in my opinion, and tend to give a far bigger number than is true. I actually posted about the discrepancy I found once between the treadmill and my heart rate monitor: http://www.sweettoothsweetlife.com/2012/01/16/i-learned-something-new/

Pretty crazy what a difference!

47 Bek @ Crave January 16, 2013 at 4:03 am

Well with all the amazing things your body is doing it should be hungry! Plus, working out in the morning will do that to you! Yay for awesome metabolisms :)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Egg Flipping Bliss

48 Emily @ Hungry Delights January 16, 2013 at 4:03 pm

Your overnight oats look amazing – I saved your instructions so I can try them out soon!
Emily @ Hungry Delights recently posted..WIAW – Surviving the flu

49 Miranda @ Biting Life January 18, 2013 at 4:57 pm

That oatmeal looks delicious! Haha, I loved your typo mistake. I think you can be both! ;)
Miranda @ Biting Life recently posted..Shopping List Friday #12

50 Janet January 23, 2013 at 8:10 pm

Made the oatmeal for breakfast this morning. Delicious!! Thanks for sharing. Don’t worry about your hunger – you’re making a baby! And you seem to be eating mostly healthy stuff. :-)

51 fat burning furnace June 29, 2013 at 6:54 am

Hello, Check out my blog about fat burning furnace.