Two Lessons Learned Today

I learned something today, my friends.

Well, I guess you could actually say I learned two things. First lesson learned? I am totally still capable of the early morning workout. Yes folks, that says 5:31am…I was up, dressed, and on the treadmill. And you know what? It felt awwwwwwesome.

Second thing I learned? Early morning workouts make me even more of a ravenous* beast than I originally was…and who woulda thought that could happen?

*I originally wrote ravishing here which, obviously, was not the adjective I was going for. I guess that’s what I get for being too hungry to double check my grammar. ;)

Post-workout, I ate a Clif Z Bar coated with peanut butter while getting ready. By the time I made it to work at 8am, my stomach was already growling again. So it was breakfast time.

Coffee + a delicious batch of apple cinnamon overnight oats. Want the details? Here’s how I made ‘em:

• 1/3 cup Coach’s oats
  • 1/3 cup unsweetened vanilla almond milk
  • 1/3 cup water
  • 2 tsp chia seeds
  • 1/2 mashed banana
  • 1 spoonful plain Greek yogurt
  • 1/2 diced apple
  • 2-3 tbsp raisins
  • cinnamon
  • nutmeg

I mixed all of this up last night before going to bed, so this morning, it was all ready to go. All it needed was the generous dollop of peanut butter.

Seriously. Can’t. Get. Enough. Of. The. Stuff.

A couple of hours later, I snacked on a clementine.

And then about an hour after that, I started getting hungry again so I ate an Iced Oatmeal Raisin Luna bar (LOVE these, btw!) while I was out running an errand for work.

By the time I made it back to work, I was already ready to dig into lunch.

And, WOW. This little throw together dish turned out SO much better than I could have ever imagined. All I did was mix up some leftover grilled chicken, roasted kohlrabi, sweet potatoes, feta cheese, and a drizzle of a Greek vinaigrette. Tossed it in the micro for about 2-1/2 minutes, and this was one serious meal.

That meal managed to hold me off for all of about, ohhh, two hours. And then the tummy rumbled again…so we ate.

Some vanilla Chobani mixed with cantaloupe and a kiwi. Totally hit the spot.

Now I’m home, waiting for my baked potato soup to finishing cooking so I can devour that too (oh yeah, I’m excited about this recipe). I already dug in to the fridge and ate the rest of the leftover guacamole from yesterday with some saltines, but I need more.

This hunger is out of CONTROL. And it’s actually quite amusing. Winking smile

Comments

I went to crossfit this morning at 5:30 am and totally agree with the hunger thing–although I’m not pregnant so I assume mine is a slightly lesser version of yours, haha. You’re roasted veggies make me what to go to the store and get some brussels to roast for dinner tonight (while watching the Biggest Loser and blogging) but that’d make Publix trip numero 3 today! Oy.
    Claire @ Health Nut Claire recently posted..TGIF

And here I was thinking I was going crazy when my early morning workouts would leave me ravenous for the rest of the day. I have no idea why later-in-the-day workouts don’t do that to me, but yup… a workout in the morning pretty much means an insatiable appetite for the rest of the day.
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... currently… .

Great job on that early morning workout! Those definitely are pretty rare for me these days, but it sure does feel good to get it done with right away! Mmm I need to try your apple cinnamon overnight oats – they sound SO good! And get used to the hunger thing. ;) Although, it’s pretty random for me. Some days I’ll be a ravenous beast and the next day, my appetite will be slim to none. I just roll with it! ;)
    Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Hypothalamic Amenorrhea FAQ

Hahah this post made me laugh! I always laugh at myself when I have one of those days when I feel like I’m literally counting the seconds until my next meal!
    You’re growing another person lady, eat up! I love that you’re embracing your growing appetite and showing us all how to snack, and snack healthy!
    Yay for you!
    Fizz @fizzsbizz recently posted..Holiday Flip!

I was famished all through my first pregnancy, even with the daily bouts of nausea. I remember the first time it hit. I was having dinner, my ex had made steak (big steak, like 10 oz, I usually only ate half) and a bag of frozen corn. I ate my entire steak, half the corn, then went back for the other steak he had made for leftovers. Yeah, I made myself stop there. I could not eat enough, though. After that night, I was careful to eat healthier (lots and LOTS of salads, baby loved them), but he and I both just looked at what I ate and went “whoa!”
    Kathryn recently posted..2013 So Far

Can you make my food for me? Lol, just kidding. I just really love your meals. They looks so yummyyyy!
    And awesome job at the early morning workout. If I lived about 10 minutes closer to my school, I could easily wake up at 5:30 and get in a 20-30 minute workout. That would be pretty dandy.
    Audrey Adams recently posted..Legs ‘n’ Abs workout

7. Jessica says

I’m due July 23rd, and I’ve been starving 24/7. I will eat and be pretty full and think I will be good for a while, and sure enough my stomach is growling 2 hours later! The babe is growing!!

So crazy that hunger is uncontrolable during pregnancy. I follow several bloggers who are pregnant, and one of my friends is right now too. They ALL blog about this same thing, that they are ridiculously ravished all the time. I don’t even want to know what I’m going to be like when I’m preggers!!

I love Luna Bar’s too, but I’ve never tried that one. It seems like certain stores only carry certain ones, so I actually go to a different store just to get my Luna Bar’s in the flavor I like best. I have to track that one down next time!
    Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Back to Healthy January: Week 2 Recap

9. Andrea says

Is that an app or just part of the I phone. I’m getting one at the end of the month and trying to learn as much as I can before then.

you just made me laugh out loud because you literally described my day. i somehow managed to wake-up for the 5:30am Crossfit class and couldnt believe how it kick started my appetite all day either. it was a crazy busy day at work and my constant hunger was borderline comical. glad you can relate ;)

That lunch looks SERIOUSLY good. What a great combination of deliciousness!

Great job working out so EARLY this morning. I saw your post on Twitter when I was getting ready for work and was truly impressed. It definitely inspired me and I hope to become more motivated to get things accomplished before my work days begin. That would certainly help to free up my nights and allow for a bit more relaxation in the PM.
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..“Little Smokies” Vegetarian Meatballs

12. Barbara says

Can totally relate, was in gym before 5 to make sure to get spot in 5:30 am spin class, then i work for the nys senate that went into session until 11:30 pm tonight, a over 16 hour workday, that I was either hungry or thought I was coming down with the flu all day.

Wow, great job getting yourself active so early in the morning! I’m kind of a morning person but I don’t think I’ve ever had the “courage” to do any working out so early. Yikes, it’s scary thinking about it! hhah! And I don’t know if you’ve mentioned this before, but it seems like you’re having a very good pregnancy in terms of no-morning-sickness. Is that right? I think that is SUCHHHHH a blessing :D
    Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Orange Pancakes with Zesty Coconut Cream+Cuppies Review

I’m totally still guessing BOY! Only because so many of the foods you are eating are foods I could NOT for the life of me get down…including peanut butter. That’s when I knew I had a crazy kid, not letting me eat peanut butter…is she insane?! ;) Haha! Can’t wait to hear about your dinner recipe!

Hahaha…this is too funny! I feel the same way. yes, I am pregnant but even before, early A.M. workouts have that effect. way to fit it all in and be working full time! You need lots of fuel to nourish your busy schedule, YOU and Bay tooth!

P.S. making your lean beef crock pot stew tonight and can’t wait for dinner time : )
    Jenn recently posted..It’s been way too long…

16. Cori says

Iced Oatmeal Raisin is my favorite Luna Bar! That combo of cantaloupe and vanilla yogurt looks delicious btw! Great idea :-)

17. Lynn says

I need to tart incorporating early morning workouts into my week. When I get home from work I want to spend time with my husband and two year old, not think about working out. What time do you get to sleep now to wake up so early?

• Courtney says

Usually around 10pm, but I could afford to get into bed a little earlier than that. Darn Bachelor keeping me up late ;)

18. kbarr428 says

Hi Courtney,

Question for you… how accuratly do you take the caloric count from a Treadmill? Im sure it not that big of a deal now when you are expecting, but for those of us dieting/exercising/exchanging calories- how accurate do you think the machines are?

Thanks!

19. Janet says

Made the oatmeal for breakfast this morning. Delicious!! Thanks for sharing. Don’t worry about your hunger – you’re making a baby! And you seem to be eating mostly healthy stuff. :-)

Trackbacks