WIAW: Improvising

by Courtney on January 16, 2013

Ok, so you’ll have to bear with me a bit today.

I realized I never really bothered to take any photos yesterday, so I’m improvising a bit with quite a few of today’s photos. I still think you’ll get the idea though!

Breakfast – 8:30am

Although I did, in fact, have the always-delicious peanut butter and banana combo, mine was actually on regular whole wheat bread, not an English muffin.

I actually brought the two slices of bread, the whole jar of peanut butter, and a banana into work with me and just made myself a couple slices of pb & banana toast bread. I missed having it toasted…I need to give myself 10 extra minutes in the morning.

Mid-Morning Snack – 10:30am

I first started off with a Chobani, but again, this is an old photo and the flavor I had yesterday was pineapple. Loooooove me some pineapple.

I then ate the other clementine that was left at my desk from yesterday.

Both were good, but neither of them were fulfilling whatever craving I was having at that moment. Really, the only thing I wanted was a doughnut. Like, in a bad way. Thankfully, the craving passed…otherwise, a lunchtime trip to Dunkin’ Donuts may have been on the agenda. Winking smile

Lunch – 12:30pm

This photo is actually one from yesterday…who knew?

Last night while I was prepping dinner, I had the cutting board out so I figured I’d just go ahead and chop up all the veggies that I needed for a salad. This baby was loaded too…

• spring mix
  • cucumbers
  • grape tomatoes
  • carrots
  • red peppers
  • pickles
  • feta cheese
  • grilled chicken
  • leftover roasted kohlrabi
  • Greek vinaigrette dressing

It was SO good.

And even though the doughnut craving from earlier had somewhat passed, my sweet tooth had not. Thankfully, I had remembered to pack up a couple of Banana Oatmeal Chocolate Chip cookies, so I had them as my dessert.

Mid-Afternoon Snack – 3:00pm

Alright, this photo is a bit of a stretch,  but it gives you an idea.

Since I already had my jar of peanut butter with me in the office, I decided to have some of that on a few Wasa crackers that I have stored in my desk. Typically, I would have gone for this cashew butter (which is also stored in my desk for emergencies) but I just stuck with the peanut butter since it was there.

After Work Snack – 5:30pm

I was pretty hungry by the time I got home but I couldn’t quite commit to anything for dinner yet, and since I was going to wait for Jay anyways, I wound up having a few bites of leftover goulash.

Dinner – 6:45pm

Since we, once again, seem to have quite a bit of leftovers that have piled up, we decided to declare last night a “make a dent in the leftovers” kinda night. Hey, works for me…I’m totally fine with a microwavable dinner. Winking smile

I heated up a few chicken tenders, a sweet potato, some leftover roasted cauliflower, and some random edamame that I found in the freezer. The edamame wasn’t the greatest, but it was still alright – especially when topped with a little extra sea salt.

The rest of dinner was quite delicious, and I actually had a super strong craving for ranch dressing, so just about everything on that plate took a dip into it.

ranch dressing

I feel like I really don’t get too many strong “I gotta have it” cravings with Baby Tooth, but last night was definitely one of the few.

Speaking of Baby Tooth…I swear, my belly grew overnight. Jay and I were both standing in the kitchen talking and getting dinner ready, and he was like, “woah, where did that come from?” I told him I was thinking the same thing and we both had a good laugh about it. He/she must be doin’ some growing up in there…

…orrrrr my large appetite from yesterday and today is catching up with me. Winking smile

After Dinner Dessert – 8:45pm

The perfect way to end the evening…

A small dish of Stewart’s ice cream while watching New Girl. Perfection at its finest.

*****

Today is a super busy day for me; I have half of a regular work day, then a follow up with the asthma specialist (a different doc), and then I’m out of the office for the second half of the day for a big meeting and dinner party for work. I’m not expecting to get home until much later this evening, so let’s hope this extra energy stays with me for the day!

Happy Wednesday, friends! Smile

1 My Neon Running Shoes January 16, 2013 at 8:02 am

Yay for a belly bump! Show us a pic! I love edamame, it’s so good! happy Wednesday!
My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Did YOU sneak into my house last night? And mindful running.

2 Madison January 16, 2013 at 8:04 am

Good luck at your doctor’s appointment–this one will go much better than the last! :) Have a great day!
Madison recently posted..Tone-It-Up Tuesday: Shoulder Style

3 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 16, 2013 at 8:08 am

Edamame is my favorite! I love a little sea salt sprinkled on top. Yum. :) Good luck at the doctors! I hope this one is a lot better than the last.
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..A Pinterest Discovery!!…

4 Presley @ Run Pretty January 16, 2013 at 8:08 am

I dipped EVERYTHING in ranch or thousand island when I was pregnant with my little boy. I wanted savory 24/7… and if I had sweets, it was lemon everything. Cravings are so bizarre! Definitely give in to them once in a while. The weight WILL come back off, I swear. :)
Presley @ Run Pretty recently posted..Work Out to Work It

5 Melanie January 16, 2013 at 8:08 am

It’s definitely the baby growing, not the extra snacks! :wink:
Today’s appointment will go so much better than your last not-so-fun visit.
Love your Baby Tooth page btw!

Have a fantastic day!
Melanie recently posted..Morning Yoga and Food Art

6 Khushboo January 16, 2013 at 8:18 am

A growing stomach means a healthy baby :-)

7 Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition January 16, 2013 at 8:23 am

Oh my goodness that cashew butter sounds great! Happy WIAW!
Sunnie@ModernGirlNutrition recently posted..WIAW- Siggi’s!

8 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire January 16, 2013 at 8:42 am

Here’s to hoping this appointment goes MUCH better than last week’s! Although it really couldn’t get any worse, haha. Happy Wednesday!
Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire recently posted..New Obsession

9 Karen January 16, 2013 at 8:48 am

Love the fact that you are getting a belly bump!! Your dinner looked very good, esp. the chicken tenders.
Karen recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday – Taco Night

10 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 16, 2013 at 8:56 am

I waited till 19 weeks to tell anyone and I swear the day after I told people, baby decided to really show he was in there! It’s crazy how one day it just says “hello world!!! I’m here!!!” :) Awesome, so happy for the two of you! :)
Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles recently posted..Making milk is a superpower! ||{healthy lactation cookies}||

11 Courtney January 16, 2013 at 9:05 am

Wow, you waited until 19 weeks?!? Haha, I don’t think there’s any way I could wait that long!!! Props to you! I was bursting to tell people by about week 6 ;)

12 Julie H. of Spinach and Sprinkles January 16, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I don’t know what my deal was—— just extremely nervous, I guess. ……My 3rd grade students were the first people I told! (other than our parents!!!) My kiddos reactions were AMAZING! I didn’t want to tell everyone so they did the job for me- they told EVERYONE! It was so sweet! :)

13 Kim@hungryhealthygirl January 16, 2013 at 9:03 am

Looks like even though you had to improvise it was a pretty good day to eat. I know how you feel with doughnut cravings. I’m not even pregnant and sometimes doughnut cravings hit me hard! Happy WIAW!
Kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..two hour delay & wiaw

14 Claire @Flake and Cake January 16, 2013 at 9:11 am

Love the improvisation Courtney ;). I can’t take PB to work – I’ll literally eat my way through an entire tub so have to give myself rations. Your dinner looks delicious!
Claire @Flake and Cake recently posted..WIAW: Butter Me Up!

15 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 16, 2013 at 9:19 am

As someone who consistently forgets to take food pictures, I can empathize! I’d really like to try that cashew butter!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Going Lorelai Gilmore

16 Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie January 16, 2013 at 9:25 am

That salad looks so good! I think I need to keep an emergency PB jar at work too!
Laurie @ Love, Laugh, Laurie recently posted..Save The Dates!

17 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian January 16, 2013 at 9:29 am

I think the biggest thing I miss about upstate NY is Stewart’s ice cream. Star Gazer?! The best ice cream flavor ever!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..WIAW #40: Me Time {What I Ate Wednesday}

18 Linz @ Itz Linz January 16, 2013 at 9:32 am

pineapple is jonny’s favorite chobani flavor! good luck with your busy day!!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Almond Seed Cranberry Balls

19 Sara @ fitcupcaker January 16, 2013 at 9:58 am

I have some pineapple chobani in the fridge that I need to eat :) Thanks for the reminder! I love how salty edamame are!
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Cinnamon Almond Butter Protein Balls {Giveaway Winner}

20 Running In Heels January 16, 2013 at 10:00 am

I am always so jealous of your eats! You’re a meal-makin’ genius girl!
Running In Heels recently posted..In Wine Heaven + Lily and the Vet

21 Courtney January 16, 2013 at 10:03 am

Hahaha, really? Well, thank you! :)

22 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! January 16, 2013 at 10:08 am

Yum, yum, and YUM!!! all of that looks so good!
Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! recently posted..Get Your Stanky Legg Ready…..& Mark Wahlberg

23 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 16, 2013 at 10:18 am

I have those days where I don’t end up picking up my camera, too. Definitely makes blogging a bit more awkward, but good job on the improve ;) I hope your doctor’s appointment goes well today! And that’s the cutest thing about your belly. Baby Tooth must be thriving :D
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … breakfast all day .

24 Caitlin January 16, 2013 at 11:04 am

How do you cook your sweet potatoes? They always look so yummy and I don’t think I’ve come across a recipe on your site. LOVE LOVE LOVE your blog! You are a true inspiration :)

25 Courtney January 16, 2013 at 11:12 am

Thank you, Caitlin!
For this particular batch, I literally just poked a few holes in them and cooked them in the microwave for about 8-10 minutes. Sometimes though, I’ll nuke ‘em first, for about 5-7 minutes, then coat them with a little EVOO or butter, salt, and pepper, and let them cook in the toaster oven for about 10 minutes to get the skins crispy :)

26 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 16, 2013 at 11:18 am

Best of luck with your new asthma doctor, anything must be better than that other guy!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW #17: Late Night Snack Attack

27 Annette@FitnessPerks January 16, 2013 at 11:22 am

Yes, good luck on the appt–with the new doc! Hope it goes great :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..pvBody Outfit Review & Link for 20% Off

28 Lindsay January 16, 2013 at 11:29 am

That nut butter looked bring dang incredible as did your chicken and sweet potatoes! I could have sweet potatoes every night…if I remembered to keep them stocked in my kitchen ;)
Lindsay recently posted..my nightmares made me do it.

29 Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers January 16, 2013 at 11:38 am

Ahhh, your belly bump!! Too Cute!!!!!!!!
Jennifer @ Peanut Butter and Peppers recently posted..Chocolate Mocha Mini Cakes

30 Debbie (Accidently Delish) January 16, 2013 at 11:41 am

Really SILLY question. What kind of ranch do you use? I use to LOVE ranch, but lately can’t find one that I really enjoy anymore. I want ranch back in my life!!
Debbie (Accidently Delish) recently posted..By: Jessie

31 Courtney January 16, 2013 at 11:56 am

Haha, I think right now it’s just a store brand of light ranch. But Hidden Valley light has always been a favorite of mine :)

32 Jessica @ Will Workout 4 Food January 16, 2013 at 12:02 pm

I had my lunch all planned out today (leftover quinoa stir fry with veggies) and then I saw your goulash… Might have to save those leftovers for another day now! Thanks a lot ;)
Jessica @ Will Workout 4 Food recently posted..Quinoa for the Win

33 Amanda @ Sistas of Strength January 16, 2013 at 12:23 pm

HA – you are definitely at the phase where you will feel like you have bigger and smaller belly days. I was the same way!!!
Amanda @ Sistas of Strength recently posted..#Learn

34 Katie @ running4cupcakes January 16, 2013 at 12:31 pm

The pineapple chobani flavor is the best one! I also love when I am thinking ahead enough while prepping veggies for dinner to put them together for lunch the next day.. .I really need to remember to do that more often. :)
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..Weekend Update: 1/13/13

35 Kerry @ Totes My Oats January 16, 2013 at 12:44 pm

That salad looks so so good! So exciting that you see a Baby Tooth bump! :)
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..WIAW: Bread Lovin’

36 Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness January 16, 2013 at 12:51 pm

Sending positive doctor vibes your way! Their pineapple yogurt is one of my favorites, I love eating it with granola and dried cranberries.
Nicole @ Fruit ‘N’ Fitness recently posted..My First What I Ate Wednesday

37 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 16, 2013 at 1:05 pm

I wish my leftovers looked like your leftovers! Our leftover situation normally consists of a random pizza slice, half a serving of mash potatoes, and some cold soup. Ick.
Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well recently posted..That Oil Went Where…?

38 Cassi January 16, 2013 at 1:13 pm

i love your big appetite! it’s so cute. i remember my sister-n-law going through the same thing. :) my nephew turned 1 in November. (pictures from this past weekend of him: http://cassijordan.wordpress.com/2013/01/15/he-gets-his-own-post/)
i know i know, im THAT aunt… always sending everyone pictures.
you and jay are going to make a beautiful baby!! ;)
on another note:
your grilled chicken always looks so good! do you always grill it outside or do you ever cook them inside? cooking meats/poultry is NOT my forte. and we don’t have a grill since we live apartment so i need to stick with the kitchen. any tips on a good and juicy grilled chicken without a grill!? :/
Cassi recently posted..I had a dream…awkward turtle

39 Ellie@Fit for the Soul January 16, 2013 at 2:09 pm

That’s so cool that your belly grew overnight! Sometimes it feels like that to me but I realize later on that it’s just FOOD that’s still ummmm sitting in there, lol. And you had so many good eats yesterday! It’s nice to see you being to flexible, yet healthy at the same time. And it seems like you’re emotionally handling everything very well as it can become challenging sometimes during pregnancy. :D
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Orange Pancakes with Zesty Coconut Cream+Cuppies Review

40 Lauren January 16, 2013 at 3:21 pm

Eee! Baby bump! I’m so happy for you! I loved New Girl last night (as always!) It never fails to disappoint!
Lauren recently posted..How do you like me now?!

41 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 16, 2013 at 8:03 pm

I had that same breakfast – SO good, never gets old!
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Chocolate Covered Strawberry Protein Smoothie

42 Angela January 16, 2013 at 8:20 pm

Have you looked into research about eating nut butter while pregnant? I have never been pregnant so I may be completely crazy haha but while my cousin was pregnant the doctor told her to not eat nut butters because some studies showed it increased the baby’s chance of allergies. I’ve also heard this is a hoax and there is not sufficient research. Just wondering if you thought about this when becoming pregnant and how you decided what was best for you.
Angela recently posted..Random Thoughts

43 Courtney January 16, 2013 at 10:28 pm

I mentioned it to my doctor but she said that since I’ve never had an allergy myself that it’s not a problem to continue eating as usual. Thank goodness for that, haha!

44 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 16, 2013 at 8:58 pm

I must agree that bread is about a thousand times better toasted. This is especially true when you are topping it with a nut butter like peanut butter or almond butter. I love when it gets all warm and melted! :)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Sweet and Savory Wafflewich

45 Karey @ Nutty About Health January 16, 2013 at 9:58 pm

Mmm, lots of deliciousness!! I LOVE PB & Banana… best combo EVER! Looking at your eat is making me hungry… ;)
Karey @ Nutty About Health recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

46 Bek @ Crave January 16, 2013 at 10:46 pm

Good job on the eats! I love Edamame!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Habit or Obsession?

47 Audrey Adams January 16, 2013 at 10:57 pm

Yum to that icecream. Would like some, but eating clean right now!
Congrats on the baby bump!
And hope your energy kept up!
Audrey Adams recently posted..WIAW

48 Lot-O-Choc January 17, 2013 at 10:21 am

that cashewnilla butter looks delicious – i wish we had more inventive flavours like that in the Uk..i really need to get round to making some of my own.
Lot-O-Choc recently posted..Chco Speculoos Chocbar

49 Emily @ Hungry Delights January 19, 2013 at 9:27 pm

Everything looks super yummy – happy wiaw!
Emily @ Hungry Delights recently posted..WIAW – Surviving the flu