My Method For Eating Banana Bread

by Courtney on January 22, 2013

Hey strangers! Long time, no chat huh?

Well yesterday just ended up being one of those days that totally got away from me. My work day was busy and then right after work, I headed on over to mom and dad’s house to meet up with Jay and my brother for a home-cooked meal by mi madre.

Check that out…a full turkey dinner on a random Monday night! I guess it helps when mom has the day off from work. ;)

I filled up with turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, peas, and beets and was actually probably the first one at the table to finish. Apparently, I was hungrier than I realized. The five of us then just spent some time hanging out at the table and catching up from the past couple of weeks, which was really nice. I know I’ve said it before, but I’ll say it again…I am so, so lucky to live close to family.

A couple of hours later, we headed home and before I knew it, it was already 8:00pm. Talk about the day flying by! I worked on putting together some meals for today, ironed my clothes, and watched what was left of The Bachelor (I did have it DVR’d, but didn’t feel like starting from the beginning). All I’ll say is, ohhhhh Kacie B. You should know better by now than to mention others girls when you’re with Sean.

*****

This morning, my alarm went off nice and early at 5am for a workout. I’m not gonna lie…it was pretty brutal getting out of bed this morning…but knowing that I won’t have time after work helped motivate me to stick with the plan.

Today’s workout was one that I’ve actually been enjoying since last week, and I plan on sharing it with you guys later this afternoon.

Don’t be fooled by just the treadmill though…it’s a strength and cardio combo, and it is a good one!

Breakfast was easy peasy this morning and I’m bringing it to work with me, since I didn’t want to attempt to scarf it down before leaving the house. Last night, I put together a batch of apple cinnamon raisin overnight oats

apple cinnamon raisin overnight oats

which, as always, are just oh-so-photogenic, aren’t they?

apple cinnamon raisin overnight oats

I added a big scoop of chunky peanut butter for some protein, and I’m also planning on crumbling part of a piece of cinnamon chip banana bread on top.

cinnamon chip banana bread

You guys like how I take my random little nibbles from the sides? I tend to do this with just about every loaf of banana/pumpkin/whatever bread that I make…when I slice off a piece to eat, I usually wind up slicing a small piece off the opposite end to eat right away.

cinnamon chip banana bread

For someone who’s counting calories? Well, I probably wouldn’t suggest my method for eating banana bread, since it all adds up quickly. But hey, guess what? I’m not counting. ;)

*****

A Couple Odds & Ends…

• Thank you so much for all of your tips on yesterday’s Baby Tooth post. I’m always open to hearing new tips and ideas, so they were all very much welcomed.
  • Does anyone happen to know what this Thursday is? (Hint: Jay is probably rolling his eyes if he’s reading this right now. And actually, some of you may too, once you realize what it is. Hint Hint: I’m obnoxious about this every year.) ;)
  • Did you know today is National Blond Brownie Day? Juuuuust in case you feel like celebrating…

Butterscotch Blondies with Chocolate Glaze

Courtney’s “Love” Blondies

Now who else is craving blondies along with me? ;)

1 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction January 22, 2013 at 8:53 am

Ahhhh those blondies look UNREAL! Now I am hungry! lol

2 Claire @ Live and Love to Eat January 22, 2013 at 8:53 am

The “Love” blondes are too adorable. I just can’t give up that much granola for a recipe. :)
Claire @ Live and Love to Eat recently posted..Catching Up

3 Melanie January 22, 2013 at 8:54 am

Come on Kacie B.—I had high hopes for her because I liked her in the other season so much! Now I’m on the Leslie team. I like both of them but mostly the blonde Leslie team. :smile:
I can’t tell you how jealous I am of your turkey dinner, and on a Monday night…what a perfect way to spend a Monday evening.
Have a great day sweetheart!
Melanie recently posted..Catching Up on Weekend Eats

4 Cassie @ RedLetterDaye January 22, 2013 at 8:58 am

Ooooh! We did polish off the last of the cake batter blondies last night, but I do still have almost a full bag of white chocolate left… ;)
Cassie @ RedLetterDaye recently posted..Musicboxes and MLK

5 Karen January 22, 2013 at 9:01 am

Those blondies are looking so good right now. I have been wanting to make them for so long, maybe this weekend!! Oh, poor Kacie B. I was really pulling for her to go through pretty far but should’ve known by now. I hope you enjoy your birthday week!! I told my husband I wanted to start it this year but he just laughed at me…boo!
Karen recently posted..A Day In The Life…12 Months

6 Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) January 22, 2013 at 9:03 am

Me me me! I could go for a blondie, or two. :)

I’m glad you got to spend time with the fam. I wish I lived closer to mine. Well, I love my city, so I actually wished they lived closer to me!
Tiff (@LoveSweatBeers) recently posted..My Work Day Off From Work

7 Elaine January 22, 2013 at 9:04 am

I can’t believe Kacie did that! As soon as she did, I knew he was sending her home. I really hoped she would have made it farther, but oh well. And happy national blond brownie day. :) I love any excuse to celebrate with sweets!
Elaine recently posted..Skinny Banana Oatmeal Cookies

8 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 22, 2013 at 9:15 am

BLONDIES. Haha, love them! I’m adoring your overnight oats, photogenic as always! ;) I think the taste always makes up for the prettiness!
Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well recently posted..Fruit for Dinner is Acceptable Sometimes

9 Sarah @PickyRunner January 22, 2013 at 9:20 am

I just washed my breakfast down with my mom’s blondies that she sent me back to school with. It was good, not sorry at all ;)
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..This is goodbye

10 alyssa @ life a la wife January 22, 2013 at 9:24 am

The love blondies are my favorite!!
alyssa @ life a la wife recently posted..Wedding Recap: The Reception

11 Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life January 22, 2013 at 9:26 am

I was upset with Kacie last night too! When she first showed up I was really excited, but I definitely cooled down pretty quickly. I still think she is a cool girl, but I don’t see the chemistry between her and Shawn that I see with other girls. I am definitely team Des and team Lesley! :)

I absolutely love blondies! These aren’t healthy (or gourmet) but I used to love the skillet blondie with brown butter sauce amd ice cream from Applebee’s! Ha ha seriously, it was amazing!
Jana @ Newly Wife Healthy Life recently posted..Welcome Back!

12 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 22, 2013 at 9:26 am

I’m the same exact way with taking random nibbles off the things I bake. A nibble here, a bite there… It might add up, but it sure is satisfying :D And that’s really awesome that you get to spend so much time with your family. I’m extremely grateful that I live so close to mine as well, although I’d definitely appreciate an increase in turkey dinners ;)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... you could be skinnier if… .

13 Candice January 22, 2013 at 9:28 am

Did you not love leslys dress last night!! I want it..
Blondies look amazing! and I totally pick at banana bread!
Candice recently posted..My favorite way to cook fish and I won something!

14 Natalie @ Free Range Human January 22, 2013 at 9:30 am

That first recipe for blondies looks amazing!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..A Marvelous Recap

15 Beth @ Lessons Life Teaches Me January 22, 2013 at 9:31 am

Those blondies look so good right now, even at 830 in the morning! =) Birthdays are the only thing that make January an ok month.

16 Khushboo January 22, 2013 at 9:34 am

Love blondies…even more so than brownies :-)! Sending an email your way- need some of your ‘expert’ advice!
Khushboo recently posted..Mumbai Marathon Mode

17 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 22, 2013 at 9:37 am

Oh yes, I’m the same exact way with loaves of bread… And then I wonder how in the world it disappeared so quickly!? Haha! Yay for birthday week coming up! :)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..Week 29: Expecting More

18 Allison January 22, 2013 at 9:37 am

Grrrrr so mad at Kacie after last night! And I really liked her up until this point… :(
Allison recently posted..Something Out of the Ordinary

19 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples January 22, 2013 at 9:41 am

those love blondies are too cute! …and random thanksgiving-style dinners are like breakfast-for-dinner nights – i swear the food tastes even better because you’re not supposed to be eating it lol
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Alcohol and Memory: Why You Remember The Wrong Things

20 Angela @ Health's Angel January 22, 2013 at 9:44 am

Ummm yes, now I officially want some blondies. Love those things. I eat my quick breads in a fairly similar fashion- a tiny piece cut off here and there, especially when right out of the oven. :)
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..[Current] Diet Staples

21 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes January 22, 2013 at 9:55 am

It’s probably a sin to not eat blondies on national blonde brownie day. And this is one sin I’m not willing to commit ;-)
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..A new look

22 Claire @ Health Nut Claire January 22, 2013 at 10:10 am

Toooootally whipping up your Love Blondies today! I have all the ingredients except instead of dried cranberries I have dried cherries. Should work, right?
Claire @ Health Nut Claire recently posted..Crock Pot Recipe + A Week in Fitness

23 Claire @ Health Nut Claire January 22, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Made the Love Blondies but used chocolate Love Grown, dried cherries, and ww pastry flour instead. SO GOOD!

24 Hope @ With A Side Of Hope January 22, 2013 at 10:10 am

Mmm..those blondies look so good! Now I want one :)
Hope @ With A Side Of Hope recently posted..Light & Fluffy!…

25 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health January 22, 2013 at 10:23 am

That is too funny how you eat your banana bread!

I like Sean and Lesley together, they are so cute. They’re all nervous. Brings back memories…sigh.

Awesome job getting up to workout before work Courtney!

26 Kerry @ Totes My Oats January 22, 2013 at 10:23 am

I could go for some blondies now, and that banana bread!
Kerry @ Totes My Oats recently posted..Oatmeal Raisin and Walnut Cookies

27 Lauren January 22, 2013 at 10:31 am

I do the exact same thing when I have freshly baked breads in my house. There are always little nubs missing from the ends. Best part for sure!
Lauren recently posted..How I Will Survive The Chicago Winter

28 Lindsay January 22, 2013 at 10:36 am

National Brownie Day! I am so glad you notified me. Better make a stop on my way home tonight :D
Lindsay recently posted..i’m lookin’ at you, monday.

29 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 22, 2013 at 10:51 am

I’m craving blondies and banana bread thanks to this post! I gotta get baking in the kitchen, it’d be perfect for these snowy days we’ve been having!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Ski Weekend in Maine

30 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen January 22, 2013 at 11:03 am

I love the idea of celebrating a full week of Birthday!! How fun!! :)
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Tofu Cauliflower Crock Pot Garam Masala

31 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian January 22, 2013 at 11:05 am

Haha I love your banana bread technique! I’m all for it.
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..My Rhabdo Experience

32 Ashlee January 22, 2013 at 11:10 am

Now I know what dessert to make the hub’s for our Valentine’s Dinner!! Love Blondies it is :-)
Ashlee recently posted..Lightened Up Crockpot Creamy Potato Soup

33 Jenna @ Crazy Healthy Fit January 22, 2013 at 11:20 am

your birthday week!! ;-)
Jenna @ Crazy Healthy Fit recently posted..Bod Pod Testing – My Experience

34 Kerry January 22, 2013 at 11:24 am

ahh those blondies look amazing!!
Kerry recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday!

35 Annette@FitnessPerks January 22, 2013 at 12:16 pm

Love the heart shaped ones. CUTE!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Sparkly + Awesome + Things to Avoid

36 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake January 22, 2013 at 12:23 pm

I was JUST thinking the same thing this morning as I was eating my overnight oats. How can something so tasty look so ugly?! lol

37 Mary January 22, 2013 at 1:14 pm

Courtney, I just want you to know, birthday week is nothing. I suggest birthday month!

38 Courtney January 22, 2013 at 2:00 pm

LOL – I like the way you think, Mary! :)

39 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 22, 2013 at 1:23 pm

You would have thought that Kacie B. would have learned from previous seasons of the show that her approach never ends well. I really like her on her past season, but she kind of rubbed me the wrong way this season.

I love me some blondies! I am also really looking forward to National Peanut Butter day this Thursday!! It sounds like you should bake something with peanut butter to kick off your birthday week right! ;)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Spicy Black Bean Soup

40 Ellie@Fit for the Soul January 22, 2013 at 1:37 pm

Ummm thanks Courtney, now I REALLY want a big chunky blondie! haha…And wow, I am the same way with breads! I always get the crustier crumbier parts and destroy any bread I’m eating :D
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Review of Ballet Body: Upper Body Ultra Sleek DVD

41 lindsay @ fuel my family January 22, 2013 at 1:56 pm

I eat the entire top off the banana bread, especailly love that big crack down the center. My poor husband probably thinks banana bread comes out of the oven looking that way since i dont know if he’s ever actually gotten a bite of the top. Pros of being the cook!

42 Michelle@Peachy Palate January 22, 2013 at 2:07 pm

So funny the way you eat banana bread or pumpkin! We all have our quirks :) I made raw blondies yesterday!
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Raving about it

43 kim@hungryhealthygirl January 22, 2013 at 2:59 pm

A blondie sounds wonderful right about now! I’m the same way with bread…I just can’t keep my hands off of the loaf! ;)
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Blueberry Banana Stuffed French Toast {with Ezekiel 4:9® Flax Sprouted Whole Grain Bread}

44 Emily @ Hungry Delights January 22, 2013 at 5:00 pm

Yumm blondies sound so good right now!
Emily @ Hungry Delights recently posted..WIAW – Surviving the flu

45 Chelcie of Chelcie's Food Files January 22, 2013 at 7:59 pm

mmm I miss making overnight oats..they don’t always look the most appealing but they always taste amazing! just pinned your strength work out i can’t wait to try it!
Chelcie of Chelcie’s Food Files recently posted..Wellington, New Zealand Part 1

46 Angela January 22, 2013 at 8:16 pm

I know that it’s your birthday!!! (Because it’s right after mine. :)
Angela recently posted..Merci Chocolates

47 colleen @ thegiftofmondays January 22, 2013 at 8:54 pm

what motivates you most to work out? now that it’s freezing in the morning i have zero motivation. :(
colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..the Catholic freak…the Jesus freak

48 Bek @ Crave January 23, 2013 at 12:15 am

Haha! Woo, don’t count calories- that’s the way to live ;) Yum, turkey dinner’s are awesome. We try to have them every Monday as time for the family to get together and chat.
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Body Step 90