Me and My Brain

by Courtney on January 24, 2013

I don’t know what’s going on, but me and my brain just do not seem to be on the same page today. I seriously feel like I’ve been all over the place…forgetting things, asking questions I really know the answer to, just in a daze most of the day.

Perhaps my brain is trying to tell me it’s already ready for the weekend? Haha…well that can’t be it, because all of me is already ready for the weekend, too.

Anywho…despite the fact that me and my brain do not appear to be working in sync today, it’s still been a pretty good day. The work day went by super quickly, I braved the cold and got some errands done on my lunch hour, and even had some delicious food to boot.

Today’s lunch seriously came together in NO TIME, thanks to hubby letting me take the rest of last night’s leftover tilapia tacos.

tilapia tacos (1)

I simple added the rest of the tilapia and roasted corn relish to a bed of mixed greens, which made for a delicious, simple salad (no dressing required!). The tilapia had even more flavor after sitting overnight, and was awesome cold.

tilapia tacos (2)

After I finished that, I still needed a little something extra, which made me super thankful for my decision to pack up a mini whole wheat sweet potato roll with some peanut butter. Well, I packed up the roll, but the peanut butter was already here in the desk.

mini whole wheat sweet potato roll (1)

Hey, it IS National Peanut Butter Day and all…might as well celebrate. ;)

mini whole wheat sweet potato roll (2)

Looks like I’ll also have to get some new PB to stash here, since that was the last of that Planters PB that I bought a while back (it lasted a while…aka, it wasn’t my favorite).

I’m not quite sure what’s gonna be happening in the Horan household for dinner tonight. Seeing as how I’ve cooked two nights in a row (gasp!), I think it’s about time to either make a dent in some leftovers or have the always-favorite breakfast for dinner (aka, “brinner”). This, of course, will hopefully all happen after I muster up that motivation to get a workout in…but we shall see. :)

What’s for dinner at YOUR place tonight?

1 Eliza January 24, 2013 at 4:18 pm

Welcome to baby brain! I still think I have it sometimes and my son is almost 3!

2 Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes January 24, 2013 at 4:18 pm

I actually have tilapia defrosting right now–it’s going to be an almond encrusted tilapia night over here! :)
Carrie @ Fitness and Frozen Grapes recently posted..Peanut Butter Banana Bread

3 Lisa January 24, 2013 at 4:20 pm

We all have those little brain fog days…mine seem to either occur on Tuesday’s or right before the weekend! And I’m not even pregnant, that probably won’t go over well when I am…if ever. I keep on hearing about this National Peanut Butter Day. Who invents these and how can I get this job.

4 Michelle@Peachy Palate January 24, 2013 at 4:29 pm

Although it’s not PB day here, I shall partake by having a dollop tonight on top of brownie :)
Michelle@Peachy Palate recently posted..Another form of orange

5 Amanda January 24, 2013 at 4:29 pm

We have dinner in the crockpot tonight! Julie’s chickpea and chicken garam masala – I just need to avoid it for about an hour because I also have to motivate myself to work out :)

6 Beks January 24, 2013 at 4:35 pm

I know how you feel on the brain front. I’ve been foggy all day, too. Although, yours might be pregnancy brain. Mine is “I’d-rather-be-at-home-writing” brain.

I have no idea what plans we have for dinner, but fish tacos sound amazing!

7 BakingSuit January 24, 2013 at 4:38 pm

Welcome to what my friends refer to as baby brain and they both swear their IQs dropped between 10-20 pts. Lots of factors play into it, but they’re not sure just what causes it (or if it’s even real, my friends swear it is.) http://www.webmd.com/baby/features/memory_lapse_it_may_be_pregnancy_brain Interestingly, while they agree it’s a thing, they don’t agree that it was worse for one gender or another.

Dinner tonight at my place is a fend for yourself kind of night because our schedules aren’t necessarily going to mesh. I’m hoping there’s left over soup or waffles, but my BIL is at our place so all bets are off.
BakingSuit recently posted..Thursday Three – Booty Shakin’ Songs

8 Emily @ Hungry Delights January 24, 2013 at 5:11 pm

I am in a daze a majority of the time and I don’t even have pregnancy brain to associate it to!
Emily @ Hungry Delights recently posted..WIAW – Chocolate Covered Coffee Beans

9 Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills January 24, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I had a delicious wrap for dinner along with brussel sprouts, cantalope, and hard boiled eggs without the yolk. The wrap had turkey, green and red peppers, mushrooms, spinach, and avocado!
Danielle @ Truffles n’ Treadmills recently posted..G.B.L.

10 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey January 24, 2013 at 5:32 pm

That would be pregnancy brain! ;)
chelsey @ clean eating chelsey recently posted..asian flare and a sweet ending

11 Amanda @ .running with spoons. January 24, 2013 at 5:36 pm

I fall victim to those foggy brain days as well – one time I even almost put my wallet into the fridge instead of the milk. Oops. Hopefully it clears up for you soon :) I was actually thinking about breakfast for dinner tonight too. I’ve had more than enough savory nights in a row and my sweet tooth could use a little loving.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... thinking out loud #16 .

12 Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite January 24, 2013 at 5:43 pm

Um your leftovers look awesome! And happy national pb day!!
Alisha @ Alisha’s Appetite recently posted..WIAW: Beta Carotene Edition

13 My Neon Running Shoes January 24, 2013 at 5:47 pm

Sounds like pregnancy brain to me. It gets worse as you get further (at least for me it did!) So no worries you are right on track ;-)
My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Close to Heaven

14 Kristen @ notsodomesticated January 24, 2013 at 5:53 pm

I blame pregnancy brain at least once a day these days. ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..Red Velvet Blondies (with my favorite cream cheese frosting!)

15 Kelly @ Femme Fitale January 24, 2013 at 10:06 pm

Totally. Ride that wave for as long as possible! haha
Actually, it has progressively worsened for me over these 9 months. I thought this “Baby Brain” talk was just nonsense, until I experienced it myself!!! At least it serves to provide some comic relief throughout the process ;)

16 Sarah @PickyRunner January 24, 2013 at 5:58 pm

I’d say breakfast for dinner is always a winner… haha rhyming, get it ;)
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..DC Style

17 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries January 24, 2013 at 5:59 pm

Hmm experiencing some baby brain quite possibly? ;) I haven’t had it too bad, but I definitely do have my days where I feel extra spacey! Or it could just be the fact that it’s the end of the week, and the weekend needs to be here!
I’m thinking leftovers for tonight. I had a big lunch so I’m not feeling too excited about busting out a bunch more food to cook.
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..01/24/13: Thursday Thoughts

18 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well January 24, 2013 at 6:15 pm

I have positively no idea. We’ve really been in to soup over at my household lately, but the 80 degrees outside (yes, it hit 81 today) might stop the streak for today!
Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well recently posted..New Page Added!

19 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health January 24, 2013 at 6:41 pm

Mmm.. those whole wheat sweet potato rolls sound good! What brand are they?

I am having a No Bull Burger (second night in a row), green beans, and sweet pataters!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Nike Training Club + Roasted Brussel Sprouts with Smoked Apple Sausage

20 Courtney January 24, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Martins

21 Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill January 24, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I just had my wisdom teeth out so it’s ice cream for dinner for me! ;)
Colleen @ Jimmy Choos on the Treadmill recently posted..Icing My Face with Frozen Mango Chunks

22 Courtney January 24, 2013 at 8:14 pm

Aww hope you’re feeling ok! Enjoy that ice cream :)

23 Lindsey January 24, 2013 at 7:20 pm

Tonight I am making your Double Duty Quesadilla Casserole – can’t wait! I hope it comes out as good as yours looks!

24 Courtney January 24, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Oooo enjoy!! I actually still have our second one in the freezer, haha!

25 Lindsey January 25, 2013 at 12:30 pm

It was so good! I made it for my husband and my parents and everybody loved it!

26 Joanna @ Running Places January 24, 2013 at 7:27 pm

I made whole wheat penne and chicken sausage with a butternut squash mushroom sauce. Broccoli on the side. Super proud bc I was at work at 7a today! Still worked out and cooked a healthy dinner when I got off work :)
Joanna @ Running Places recently posted..WIAW – Lunch talk

27 Courtney January 24, 2013 at 8:13 pm

Way to go!! :)

28 Lauren January 24, 2013 at 7:27 pm

Like I just told my friend, ride that prego brain excuse as long as you can! ;)
Lauren recently posted..How To Embrace The Positive In Change

29 Courtney January 24, 2013 at 8:12 pm
30 Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves January 24, 2013 at 8:01 pm

PB DAY!!!! Ugh now I have to go have some lol
Katie @ Skinny Minnie Moves recently posted..ABSolutely Confident

31 Celeste @ HealthfulMindBodyandSoul.com January 24, 2013 at 8:02 pm

I think I am going to make baked tacos for dinner. I was good today and got in a workout, running just over 4 miles after work today.
Celeste @ HealthfulMindBodyandSoul.com recently posted..Feeling So Much Better

32 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples January 24, 2013 at 8:15 pm

do u watch modern family? the first thing i thought of when i read your post was the episode when gloria can’t remember anything bc she’s pregnant lol :)
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Fruit Spinach Smoothie (And Some Great Music!)

33 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles January 24, 2013 at 8:27 pm

Prego brain is absolutely a valid excuse for the occasional bout of brain fog!

Tonight was taco night over here – ground turkey with all the usual taco suspects. Delicious.
Sam @ Better With Sprinkles recently posted..New Header + Travel Bucket List.

34 Kristen January 24, 2013 at 8:41 pm

Tonight we’re having skinny tuna noodle casserole. First time with a new recipe so I’m pretty excited!

35 colleen @ thegiftofmondays January 24, 2013 at 8:55 pm

baby brain was the one time when i could have “blonde moments” and have a really good reason for them!!
colleen @ thegiftofmondays recently posted..saving a friend

36 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More January 24, 2013 at 9:02 pm

I was stoked to come home from work and see that my dad was thawing hamburger meat and there was a loaf of italian bread on the table. I knew that could only mean one thing – SPAGHETTI! I made a giant salad and my dad made a separate sauce w/ a few vegetarian meatballs for me. :)
Katie @ Talk Less, Say More recently posted..Confessions

37 Danica @ It's Progression January 24, 2013 at 9:24 pm

We had sweet potato black bean chili for dinner tonight…slow cooker for the win!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..sick.

38 Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy January 24, 2013 at 9:25 pm

Ah! I always have brain fogs! My best friend is pregnant and she says “pregnancy brain” makes her fogs worse! For this reason alone, I feel like pregnancy would be a dangerous option for me!
Madison @ Pilates Makes You Happy recently posted..On Fear.

39 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl January 24, 2013 at 9:40 pm

It is a good thing that you got some peanut butter in today. It would be so wrong not too!

A whole wheat sweet potato roll? That is totally new to me. Is there a specific brand that makes them, or did you get them from a bakery? Either way, they sound fabulous!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Peanut Butter Coconut Chickpeas + Cauliflower Rice

40 Courtney January 24, 2013 at 9:46 pm

They’re Martin’s brand. Love them!

41 Annette@FitnessPerks January 24, 2013 at 10:24 pm

I cooked twice this week too-woooo!

Have a nice night not cooking dinner :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Eats on Days I Teach Fitness Classes

42 Kelsey@ kelseyruns January 24, 2013 at 10:44 pm

Love tilapia! I’m definitely going to have to try that Tilapia and roasted corn salsa salad combo, not sure how my coworkers will feel about the smell of fish in the lunch room though ;)
Kelsey@ kelseyruns recently posted..Cookies N’ Cream Cupcakes

43 Khushboo January 24, 2013 at 11:08 pm

It was a brinner night for me yesterday & pancakes was on my mind…definitely a good call :)!
Khushboo recently posted..Meatballs: 1 recipe, 3 meals

44 Shannon (Healthiful Balance) January 25, 2013 at 4:26 am

We all have those days where our brain is all over the place, so you’re not alone! :)
Shannon (Healthiful Balance) recently posted..Shopping & Starbucks {WIAW}

45 Jessie January 25, 2013 at 6:27 am

I’ve never tried the Planters Cinnamon Raisin PB, I’ve tried the banana nut.. and I have to say, I wasn’t a big fan of that one as well :-X
Jessie recently posted..Thankful Thursday : Good and Bad

46 Kristee B January 25, 2013 at 8:19 am

Beware of those Planters nut butters. They contain transfats! So much for nutrition. I received a sample jar through a product testing program, read the label, and threw it away!

47 Meghan @ After the Ivy League January 25, 2013 at 11:13 am

Did you see the episode of Modern Family when they talk about pregnancy brain? You should if you haven’t that’s probably what’s going on! Must mean you have a smart little girl or boy growing in there :)
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..My First Tempo Run and A Survey

48 crystal d. January 25, 2013 at 3:52 pm

You are starting to get pregnancy brain! Mine started almost right away. I felt like I was losing my mind. I am due in 7 weeks and I feel like I have no short term memory at all. I will ask a question and either totally forget the answer and ask the question again in a few minutes or ask the question again forgetting I just asked the question like 5 minutes ago. I forget to do the most simple things, I put stuff back in very odd places and I am just in general a scatter brain. So I hate to say it but it will get worse before it gets better! Ha!

49 Bek @ Crave January 25, 2013 at 8:29 pm

Dinner last night was a huge taco salad mmmm!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Australia Day Eats

50 Lori January 26, 2013 at 11:51 am

It’s called pregnancy brain. But unfortunately it doesn’t go away even after the baby comes. Mine are 5 & 7 years old and I still have it, some days worse that others.