Why I Cried At The Super Bowl

I. Ate. So. Much. Food. Yesterday.

But of course, what’s a Super Bowl party without a ton of delicious food, right?

Late yesterday afternoon, Jay and I went over to our cousins’ Jenny & Steve’s house for a fun little Super Bowl gathering. There was plenty of food all day long, including veggies and dip, two kinds of taco dips, and lots of chips.

A little while later there were risotto balls, bagel bites, hot dogs and kielbasa with sauerkraut, one of our contributions for the day- our favorite crockpot meatballs (which Jay took care of all on his own), and chili.

And we also can’t forget about the desserts…we had cookies, brownies, chocolate peanut butter rice crispy treats made into mini footballs (how cute, right?!), and cookie dough dip with toffee bits (<– pretty sure both recipes are from Pinterest, not sure which ones).

My contribution for the day was these Chex Scotcharoos, which were also a Pinterest find.

Oddly enough, I actually didn’t have one (minus a few little crumbs while cutting them) so I can’t really tell you how they were. There are a few leftovers though, so I’ll keep you updated.

I started out by nibbling on some taco dip and veggies, but once everything was ready, I attempted to combat the munchies by making myself an actual, sit-down plate.

Two mini potato rolls (ate one), some kielbasa, meatballs, taco dip with celery and chips, and a small bowl of chili, which was absolutely incredible.

I even got to take some of this home as leftovers, which I’m super excited about.

So even though I made myself that plate, I do believe it helped…but it definitely did not stop the munchies. Then again, it also doesn’t really help when you eat at six and then are still around the food until after 11pm.

My nemesis as the evening continued was most definitely Sarah’s cookie dough dip. I found myself getting up continuously, grabbing a couple of bites here or there, which I can only imagine what it added up to. Jay and I left shortly after the game ended (not getting to bed until a little after midnight…ooof) and we both agreed that we were feeling rather stuffed and a little icky.

But over consumption of food and all, last night was definitely a BLAST. We got to spend the evening with so many of our friends/family (Sarah, Jeff, Mal, Brian, Andrea, Brook, Christina, Matt, Jenny, Steve, and the kiddos), and I even came *this close* to winning a fun pool that we all bet money on (darn you, Mal, for beating me!).

As for the commercials, did you guys watch and/or enjoy any? There was actually quite an amusing moment at one point in the evening for all of us…did you happen to see the new Budweiser commercial with the Clydesdales? Yeah, well, if you haven’t seen it, you absolutely have to, so I’ve embedded it here…BUT, I’m warning you…it made me cry like a baby.

Yes, I wound up crying (and was not even able to stop easily after the commercial was over), which gave all of us a pretty good laugh. I seriously couldn’t make it stop. I mean, I’ve always been able to cry fairly easily, but I’m blaming this one on the pregnancy hormones once again.

Please tell me I’m not the only one who cried at this…(Chelsey, I know you’re with me!).

Speaking of pregnancy hormones, the Baby Tooth page was updated this morning!

And just in case you missed it, here’s what was happening over here for the rest of the weekend.

Here’s to hoping today goes by quickly, because I am exhausted and am already looking forward to getting back home and getting to bed early. If my energy allows, I’m going to attempt a workout, but we’ll see!

Question for the Morning:

Did you watch the Super Bowl? Did you have a favorite commercial?

Comments

1. Amanda says

Your post title made me laugh out loud!! Yes I cried during that too!! It was a beautiful commercial :) Those chex scotcharoos looks amazzinnggg!

I need to try cookie dough dip. Your foods all look delicious. I feel like the superbowl is the prime opportunity to indulge in all of those foods that you wouldn’t eat on a regular basis so I’m glad you enjoyed them. The aftermath of the food is never a good feeling, but it passes relatively quickly and you’ll remember all of the good times you had with friends while watching (and crying) over the hilarious commercials and Beyonce’s incredible performance/destiny’s child reunion.
    Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..Marvelously Busy

:lol: I actually ended up mentioning that commercial in my post today too – it definitely tugged at my heartstrings. As for the actual Superbowl itself, I didn’t really pay much attention to it aside from the last couple of minutes. I’m not even big on football, but the fact that it was so close definitely sucked me in a bit!
    Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... ignorance is bliss .

I would of had some troubles so stopping myself from eating cookie dough dip as well. Glad you enjoyed the game! My hubby and I passed, not our thing. We went to a restaurant and were the only ones there!! It was crazy. We were saying jeez I guess the superbowl is like a national holiday.
    krystal@coffeecardiogoddess recently posted..MIMM: Lieber Award

I got a little misty-eyed with that commercial too…while everyone else around me talked about how cheesy it was. :) My favorite commercial was the one with the little boy rounding up his friends for a football game. Kind of goofy but cute.
    Amy recently posted..#MidwestProblems

I loved watching Beyonce the most! Halo was the BEST, oh my gosh. I ended up having a pretty low-key super bowl, just cause my mom’s been feeling pretty peuny, so we didn’t want to overdo it. I did enjoy some soup, fruit, and a superbowl brownie, though! Delish!

That commercial made me lose it! I was a horse owner for years and had to sell my horse when I was in college – so I know the heartbreak of letting go of an animal like that. Ugh – got me so good!!
    Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..Quiet

8. Alycia says

Oh my, I’m so glad to hear I’m not the only crazy person in the world. I definitely cried at that one! My hubby couldn’t understand how that could make me cry, but it totally got to me. If it comes on again, I’ll definitely be turning the channel!

9. Krystina says

Missed that commercial last night, but just watched it at work…and definitely shed a few tears in my cubicle. ;)

I SO cried too! I didn’t think the commercials were all that stellar this year and we kept asking where the horses were, then they went and pulled that! Well worth the wait ;)

Also, the Farmer commercial for the truck?! OMG, sob fest!

Those football rice crispy treats are too cute.

And nope, you weren’t the only one that shed some tears. Having been raised in the sport of dogs, I know the bonds that are formed between people and animals, and it hit pretty close to home.
    Heather recently posted..Scale Tales

12. Mary says

I’m not pregnant, and that commercial made me CRY! Not just lump in the throat, not just teary eyes, tears streaming down my face cry. And I am not sure why… I guess the guy and his horse reminded me of me and my dog…

I watched the superbowl till half time to see Beyonce perform..I don’t remember my favorite commercial but Beyonce’s performance was hands down my favorite part!! she is so amazing! all of the food looks so delicious..I had my fair share of chips and guac and turkey chili last night!
    chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Recent Eats + Meal Prep

14. Melissa says

I’m curious. Bloggers often say “I found this on Pintrest” and credit the website housing other bloggers recipes and ideas when citing them. Why not directly link to the bloggers page or website when citing a recipe?

It sounds to me like you ate some really great food yesterday. And hey, it is the Super Bowl so calories don’t even count, right?? ;)

All of those desserts look absolutely amazing. I definitely would not be able to say no to those scotcharoos and the cookie dough dip. My problem is that once I start I cannot stop! :/
    Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Mexican Grilled Cheese Sandwich

OMG, that commercial made ALL THE GIRLS cry (or at least almost cry). We all went super silent and were trying not to blink, hahaha. It’s so funny how the “AWWWWW” was in unison, too ;)

Okay, I seriously think I have to wait to watch this commercial then! I wasn’t able to watch the game because I had to work, so I didn’t see it yet. I’m too emotional today to even think about starting to cry right now, though!

I also ate SO much food yesterday. I just kept getting plate after plate, and there was still more food! It was good, but wow, it feels good to be back on track today.
    Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Why I Run

18. April Miller-Rose says

My mom showed me that commercial yesterday and I also tried uncontrollably..I felt silly for crying so much, but it was so heart warming! Those moments are what I live for!

That cookie dough dip looks unbelievable! I’m definitely going to look for the recipe for that soon.

I cried during the Budweiser commercial, too! I tried to not make a scene at the party we were at, but then I caught my roommate crying and it just made it worse! Such a great commercial. I wish they had followed this commercial with the Taco Bell commercial to Fun. to balance out me hysterically laughing and crying all in the course of one Super Bowl!

I missed the Super Bowl because I’m in England for 2 weeks for work. The food at your party looked awesome though and I can totally commiserate with you about being tired. We’ve been having 10-12 hour work meetings for the past 8 days and I am ready to come home! Luckily since our meetings are at our hotel, I’ve been able to get plenty of workouts in during the am :)

21. Krystan says

I bawled like a baby over that commercial! I saw it a few days before the superbowl and cried, so when it came on during the game I was like, oh great. lol. I know my hubby thinks im crazy weird, but Im chalking it up to pregnancy hormones as well!

Ah, girl, that Budweiser commercial got me, too! When the horse came up to him at the end…ugh. Break my heart. I’m not even a horse girl NOR am I pregnant, so I have no excuse haha. Taco Bell’s commercial was my favorite of the evening.

I also heard on the radio this morning that the Super Bowl is the second most indulgent day of the year after Thanksgiving, and I totally believe it. In fact, I was telling my friends last night that I felt like it was Thanksgiving because I was SO full. I’m still paying for all the pizza I ate last night, and man, I cannot wait to get home and workout this afternoon, not so much from a calorie burning perspective because whatever, it was one day of indulgence and I don’t really care about that, but because workouts always help my tummy get back to normal after those EAT ALL THE THINGS!!! nights like the Super Bowl haha.
    Bethany @ Accidental Intentions recently posted..Best Body Bootcamp Week 4: Halfway There

I saw the Budweiser commercial being previewed before the Super Bowl last week and as soon as I heard Landslide I knew I was going to lose it!

On the other end of the spectrum, the Taco Bell one was pretty funny!
    Chelsie recently posted..Weekend Recap

24. Andrea says

I was he exact same way Sunday and yesterday….just stuffed and feeling disgusting and full.oh well….it was fun!

Good site! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written. I’m wondering how I could be notified whenever a new post has been made.

Trackbacks