Forgetting What Regular Food Looks Like

Aaaaaaand we’re back to the grind again. My goodness do I have a hard time readjusting after being away. Not only is the schedule change tough, but the 50+ degree change in weather is also a tough pill to swallow. But hey, that’s what happens, so enough complaining…moving forward!

As I mentioned last night, I didn’t really do a whole lot of documentation of anything yesterday. Jay and I spent most of the day reorganizing our lives and trying to get things back to normal. Luckily, we did manage to make ourselves some real dinner though, which oddly enough, made both of us laugh.

After spending a week eating all-you-can-eat buffets at breakfast and lunch and 4-5 course meals at dinner, we sort of forgot what a regular plate of food looked like. ;)

But as “skimpy” (relatively speaking) and plain as it looked, it all actually tasted really good. I breaded and baked some chicken breasts in the oven and served them along with some mashed sweet potatoes and corn.

For the chicken, I basically threw some items together without really following a recipe, but it turned out awesome…

Easy Breaded Parmesan Chicken Breasts

Ingredients:

• 2 chicken breasts, cut in half (our preference)
  • 1 egg white
  • ~1/4 cup skim milk
  • ~1/4 – 1/3 cup breadcrumbs (I mixed panko and Italian style)
  • ~1/6 cup(?) Parmesan cheese
  • sprinkle garlic powder

Directions:

1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
  2. Place egg white and milk in one bowl, and breadcrumbs, Parmesan cheese, and garlic powder in a separate bowl.
  3. Dip chicken halves into egg wash first, then coat with the breadcrumb mixture (if you have extra, feel free to double coat them for more yumminess!). Place the well-coated chicken in a single layer on a cooling rack placed on top of baking sheet (like I do for my chicken tenders).
  4. Bake for 25-28 minute until golden brown and crispy. ENJOY!

*****

After dinner, Jay and I caught up a bit on our DVR (although I have NOT watched the last three episodes of The Bachelor yet and am waiting to get together with a few of the girls since we all missed it while we were away…so no spoilers!) and I also worked on getting together today’s meals.

Breakfast was some OOIAJ, thanks to Jay finishing off some PB yesterday, and lunch was a big ol’ salad, since I’m pretty sure my body would appreciate some extra veggies right now. ;)

Lots of veggies + a leftover piece of chicken + a wedge of The Laughing Cow cheese.

Definitely psyched to have had this at lunch today…but I’d be lying if I didn’t say I wasn’t just as excited for the dessert I have waiting for me…

As if I didn’t eat enough of the treats while I was away last week, right? But what can I say…I’m hooked on the sweets right now. And besides, who am I to turn down a beautiful birthday cupcake like that from a co-worker? I think not. :)

Question for the Afternoon:

What’s the one thing you have the hardest time adjusting to again after a vacation?

Comments

The hardest thing for me to adjust to is getting back into a schedule. While I’m on vacation, I’m have no routine of working out, preparing meals, or going to bed at a decent hour. It’s hard balancing everything right when you get back. Usually after I get back, I try to give myself an extra day off of work so I can organize for the week ahead. Btw, that cupcake looks delicious!

I think just getting back to the grind and routine is always a challenge for me. It’s hard to think that one day I was relaxing without a care in the world, and then all of a sudden the next day is back to real life. I find that by the end of a week vacation, I’m usually ready to be back home though. I love my bed, own food, and having somewhat of a schedule. ;)

Glad you had a great trip! The toughest part for me is answering emails/texts/calls. I love taking some time to “go off the grid”, but coming back and getting back into everything is hard.

Cupcakes are acceptable at any and all times of day! I always hate going back to regular food after indulging for a prolonged period of time. That chicken recipe sounds pretty delicious though! I’ve been on the hunt for a relatively healthy baked one and this one might do the trick!

The Laughing Cow Cheese is da boommmb!! Ahem, anyway haha…to answer your question. The hardest thing for me when I come back from a trip (any trip, big or small), is adjusting to the fact that this is my house right now. I tend to adapt really easily to other places, even third world countries, but coming back home just feels “off”. It’s so hard to explain!

Oh my CUPCAKE! I had the same for lunch dessert yesterday and it was soo delicious. I swear for me I both crave and dread getting back to my routine after vacation – I can’t wait to get back into it, but I dread being so scheduled with work, etc. But ahhh such is life!

Having to adjust to having a schedule again is definitely the hardest part about coming back from vacation. Being away is wonderful because time doesn’t seem to matter as much and you don’t have to live your life by the clock. That being said, there are definitely perks to coming home as well. It’s always nice to get back into your own bed and have your own kitchen… aaaaand start planning for the next vacation ;)

Definitely the weather. Usually when I go on vacation, it is somewhere tropical to escape the miserable cold, or somewhere cooler to escape the crazy summer humidity. Either way, returning back home always requires adjusting the clothes that I’ve been used to wearing and getting reacquainted with less than desirable weather.

I totally know what you’re saying.
    The toughest thing to get to normal with is time change! I swear any change in time makes me bonkers. It’s so bad. I’ve actually gotten really sick just from adjusting to the time zone different. Not sure why that is? Also I get really anxious when flying, so recovering from a panic attack can be a whole other story. Ha, I sound fun.

Getting back to ‘regular’ food after a vacation is definitely a bit of an adjustment! When I went to Mexico last Spring, we stayed at an amazing resort with some high end food – I had oxtail, rabbit, foie gras…and because it was Mexico, guacamole at basically every meal :-p Going home to have to cook for myself again (and definitely not at that fancy level) was weird for a few days!

I feel like I have a hard time getting back into the groove after just a weekend away, but a whole week? Yea, it definitely takes a day or two to get everything back in order! Grocery shopping, cooking, unpacking, cleaning. Getting back into my usual routine at the gym is probably what’s hardest!

Welcome back to reality, it’s always tough after vacation! I love coming home and getting reacquainted with my OWN bed! It usually takes me a few days to get back into the swing of things at work though :( I’m sure that cupcake helped your day!

13. Heather @fitncookies says

Getting back into a routine is the hardest!! I also would attest to getting used to portion sizes and lack of food always on hand! Haha sometimes I find, though, that my body craves healthy food after a vacation so much! It feels good to eat healthy again

I would definitely say not being able to do whatever I want when I want! On vacation, I usually get up early and try to get some sort of workout in (running, walking, hiking, or a fun activity that is local), hit up the pool, check out different activities that are happening around the resort, make lunch, start enjoying some cocktails, and then make dinner (that’s our standard annual family trip to Mexico). I usually pack a lot into a day but stuff that is way more fun than work!

I think the hardest part is that after a vacation I always seem so unimpressed (best word I could think of to describe it) with my normal daily routine/life, whether it be food, shopping, weather etc. But oh well it always gets better!

when i come back from vacation (let’s be honest, when i go back to work after a WEEKEND), i have a hard time not constantly EATING. the sheer volume of calories consumed always goes up when i’m not tied down by structure, so my stomach is the one who has a hard time getting back on a schedule.

17. Fizz @fizzsbizz says

Since my vacations are usually always somewhere hot and tropical, I think the hardest thing to get used to is waking up and putting on normal clothes instead of a bikini!
    It makes me sad for weeks!!

18. Naomi says

I think it’s hardest for me to get my motivation back and be productive again after a vacation. I think I always have relaxation nostalgia haha

I think it’s always hard getting back into the work routine after vacation. I took two weeks off around Christmas (even though I checked my email everyday) and it was hard getting back into the routine of making time to do work at home.