Craving Cornbread

Okay. Last night’s dinner was soooooooo good.

Plus, I always love an excuse to break out my favorite soup and sandwich dishes (which can be found HERE!).

I was looking through my recipe binder on Monday and rediscovered the recipe I had printed out for Skinnytaste’s Pasta Fagioli. I printed that thing out forever ago, yet I still hadn’t tried it so I decided to put it on the menu for the week. (I say that lightly, as we still really don’t plan “menus.”)

I followed the recipe exactly, which also calls for pureeing the beans that go into the soup. This, my friends, is really the only way I was able to convince Jay to eat it, since he’s really not a huge fan of them. Once the soup was cooked, I topped each of our bowls with some fresh Parmesan cheese, which is exactly how my favorite takeout spot does it.

The soup was AMAZING. I love it so much that I have it with me again for lunch today…along with a leftover piece of my favorite cornbread recipe which I also cooked up last night. As if you couldn’t already tell, I got a little impatient on waiting for it to cool, hence the extremely crumbly (but oh-so-delicious) mess on my plate. ;)

Now I know that cornbread and pasta fagioli may be somewhat of an odd combo, but a) I didn’t have any shredded cheese to make my Cheesy Italian Quick Bread, and b) I had a STRONG craving for cornbread on Monday and had been thinking about it ever since. In my book, the two went together perrrrfectly.

*****

This morning, I was up and at ‘em nice and early in an attempt to get back into somewhat of a workout routine. I wound up completing 40 minutes of walking intervals with lots of inclines, varying speeds between 3.5 – 5.0 mph (yes, I can walk at 5.0…I’m an animal). ;)

I actually had someone comment on my Instagram photo, saying how surprised she was about the number of calories that I burned for that workout. But, as you may remember, it’s never good to pay attention to the calorie counts on treadmills, as they are notorious for being wayyyyy too generous.

*****

So I’m loving the fact that today is already Wednesday! Here’s to hoping that the rest of the week continues to go by just as quickly.

Question for the Morning:

What are some of your favorite recipes that you’ve found from blogs? Feel free to link up! I’m always looking for new ones to try. ;)

Comments

I have SUCH a weakness for cornbread. I LOVE IT! I make a couple “healthy” versions at home, but there’s nothing better than getting it from a restaurant where it’s been baked in a skillet and served with lots of butter. :)
    Hmmm… favorite blog recipes? I think the one that I’ve made the most over and over again is from Pickles & Honey: Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie. It’s always a crowd pleaser too (and would go good with a side of cornbread!)

2. Danielle says

How funny! I just received those soup and sandwich dishes alst night in the mail! My mother ordered them for me for my bday! I think our families share the same love for QVC :) This soup seems like the perfect opportunity to break them out!

My favorite recipes come from your blog! LOL I have tried so many of your holiday cookies, and loved them all. I am a huge fan of your quick bread and have made it numerous times! It never looks as nice as yours, but it still tastes good! I always try to steer people away from calorie counts on treadmills and any machine for that matter! After wearing a heart rate monitor, they are definitely way too generous! However, walking at a 5.0 is so tough! I have tried it, and usually resort to jogging my way through! Good job :)

Ahh I just recently discovered that I like cornbread and it is so good! Your recipes always look absolutely amazing. Most of the ones I use come from pinterest, which is obviously coming from random blogs :)

I am in love with Skinnytaste! I’ve only found her recently, but I’ve already made several things from her site and they are all delicious! I just made her Crock Pot Taco Chili last night. It’s the third or fourth time I’ve made it, and it’s become a favorite in our house!

Mmm cornbread! Glad you got your craving satisfied! I find all sorts of random recipes on blogs… If I’m looking for a dessert/cookie/cupcake recipe, I find myself HERE more often than not. ;) If I’m looking for a dinner recipe, I usually turn to Kath Eats, Daily Garnish, or Clean Eating Chelsey along with a few others too.

That soup looks SO delicious, and the addition of cornbread is an absolute must! I would totally be all over that dinner! ;)

I never take to heart the “calorie count” on the treadmill. In fact, I usually cut it in half because I assume it is waaaayyy too high!

your soup plate is adorable! the polka dots make it. and the soup looks amazing…minus the beans. thats a nightmare in my belly. ha
    im coming to your place for dinner ;)

and your baby belly is freakin cute!!!! you look incredible.

I was also going to comment on the how many calories it said you burned! I read just yesterday that that number is usually around 20% higher than the actual amount burned. Wow!
    Annnnd I dont think that is an odd combo! I think it sounds delicious :-)

Wow! I just realized that I haven’t had cornbread in so long!! But i defiantly remember the taste, and man did it taste good!! Haha I love looking at the calorie count on the treadmill, just out of curiosity, 4 miles and i burned 600 calories?? Yeah right lol.

11. Courtney says

Yummy! When I was pregnant w/my son I craved cornbread all the time. The 1st time I made it, I ate the whole pan practically myself. In one sitting lol. I’m really beginning to wonder if food cravings during preg. have anything to do w/gender. With my son I craved carbs-cereals, pastas, breads. With my current pregnancy it’s chocolate & anything sweet/sour. Thank goodness jelly beans are out in full force! I’ve had a wicked sweet tooth this time around. I find out the gender March 7th so we’ll see if a sweet tooth means a girl!

I love SkinnyTaste too! My favorite is her taco lettuce wraps, so good! It’s crazy how much the calories count is off on treadmills. Sometimes I use different treadmills at my gym and one of them says I burned a whole 100 calories more doing the exact same workout.

I am most certainly an omnivore but I always turn to Happy Herbivore’s soy-free vegan mac & cheese when I’m in the mood for some guiltless comfort food. I must warn that my husband is on the fence about it but I can’t get enough. http://happyherbivore.com/2009/06/soy-free-mac-n-cheese/

I’ve also made EatLiveRun’s flourless chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream frosting and it tasted like an oreo on steroids (which is a very good thing). http://www.eatliverun.com/mini-flourless-chocolate-cakes-with-buttercream-frosting/

I’ve never heard of SkinnyTaste before and can’t wait to check out her recipes!

14. erin says

You must have some long legs girl-I’m @ a slow jog @ 5! So funny you talked about that soup-I made some a while back and froze a batch. I just came up from the freezer and took out the soup before I checked your blog. I love this soup-I have made it several times. So good-sometimes I add some hot sauce before I eat it to spice it up.

15. Julia says

I love your cheesy Italian quick bread! I made it the other day and my husband couldn’t stop eating it. So we gave the rest to my in-laws and now they want the recipe. That stuff is seriously awesome! The cornbread looks good too. I may have to try it next.