Craving Cornbread

by Courtney on February 27, 2013

Okay. Last night’s dinner was soooooooo good.

Plus, I always love an excuse to break out my favorite soup and sandwich dishes (which can be found HERE!).

I was looking through my recipe binder on Monday and rediscovered the recipe I had printed out for Skinnytaste’s Pasta Fagioli. I printed that thing out forever ago, yet I still hadn’t tried it so I decided to put it on the menu for the week. (I say that lightly, as we still really don’t plan “menus.”)

I followed the recipe exactly, which also calls for pureeing the beans that go into the soup. This, my friends, is really the only way I was able to convince Jay to eat it, since he’s really not a huge fan of them. Once the soup was cooked, I topped each of our bowls with some fresh Parmesan cheese, which is exactly how my favorite takeout spot does it.

The soup was AMAZING. I love it so much that I have it with me again for lunch today…along with a leftover piece of my favorite cornbread recipe which I also cooked up last night. As if you couldn’t already tell, I got a little impatient on waiting for it to cool, hence the extremely crumbly (but oh-so-delicious) mess on my plate. ;)

Now I know that cornbread and pasta fagioli may be somewhat of an odd combo, but a) I didn’t have any shredded cheese to make my Cheesy Italian Quick Bread, and b) I had a STRONG craving for cornbread on Monday and had been thinking about it ever since. In my book, the two went together perrrrfectly.

*****

This morning, I was up and at ‘em nice and early in an attempt to get back into somewhat of a workout routine. I wound up completing 40 minutes of walking intervals with lots of inclines, varying speeds between 3.5 – 5.0 mph (yes, I can walk at 5.0…I’m an animal). ;)

I actually had someone comment on my Instagram photo, saying how surprised she was about the number of calories that I burned for that workout. But, as you may remember, it’s never good to pay attention to the calorie counts on treadmills, as they are notorious for being wayyyyy too generous.

*****

So I’m loving the fact that today is already Wednesday! Here’s to hoping that the rest of the week continues to go by just as quickly.

Question for the Morning:

What are some of your favorite recipes that you’ve found from blogs? Feel free to link up! I’m always looking for new ones to try. ;)

1 Lauren @ Oatmeal after Spinning February 27, 2013 at 9:03 am

I have SUCH a weakness for cornbread. I LOVE IT! I make a couple “healthy” versions at home, but there’s nothing better than getting it from a restaurant where it’s been baked in a skillet and served with lots of butter. :)
Hmmm… favorite blog recipes? I think the one that I’ve made the most over and over again is from Pickles & Honey: Sweet Potato Shepherd’s Pie. It’s always a crowd pleaser too (and would go good with a side of cornbread!)

2 Danielle February 27, 2013 at 9:04 am

How funny! I just received those soup and sandwich dishes alst night in the mail! My mother ordered them for me for my bday! I think our families share the same love for QVC :) This soup seems like the perfect opportunity to break them out!

3 Andrea @ Andrea Out Loud! February 27, 2013 at 9:04 am

I have actually found some of my favorite COOKIE recipes here on your blog!! :)

4 Lindsey February 27, 2013 at 9:06 am

I love all the salads from Iowa Girls Eats, her superfood salad with shrimp, chicken fajita salad, chopped autumn salad are all easy & amazing!

5 chelcie @ chelcie's food files February 27, 2013 at 9:07 am

mmm that soup looks delicious! I have so many recipes from blogs that i love but I make these spinach and feta turkey burgers all the time! http://www.eatliverun.com/spinach-feta-turkey-burgers/

6 Catherine Culligan February 27, 2013 at 9:13 am

Those burgers are my fave and soooooo easy to make :)

7 Molly Petsch February 27, 2013 at 10:29 am

We’re having them again tonight on top of Greek salads! So yummy!

8 Melanie @ beautifully nutty February 27, 2013 at 9:10 am

Nummy!!
I fell in love with your veggie stew recipe!

9 Heather @fitncookies February 27, 2013 at 9:11 am

My favorite recipes come from your blog! LOL I have tried so many of your holiday cookies, and loved them all. I am a huge fan of your quick bread and have made it numerous times! It never looks as nice as yours, but it still tastes good! I always try to steer people away from calorie counts on treadmills and any machine for that matter! After wearing a heart rate monitor, they are definitely way too generous! However, walking at a 5.0 is so tough! I have tried it, and usually resort to jogging my way through! Good job :)

10 Sarah @PickyRunner February 27, 2013 at 9:16 am

Ahh I just recently discovered that I like cornbread and it is so good! Your recipes always look absolutely amazing. Most of the ones I use come from pinterest, which is obviously coming from random blogs :)

11 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles February 27, 2013 at 9:17 am

Definitely thinking that I need some cornbread in my life. Looks delicious!

12 NYC Fit GIrl February 27, 2013 at 9:21 am

That soup looks so good! I love soup and cornbread yum!

13 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well February 27, 2013 at 9:21 am

One of my best recipes I found was one for Pumpkin Spice Muffins. It originally came from Kitchen Stewardship, but I loved it so much that I have it on my blog as well (with credit where credit is due, of course!)

It’s amazing, and you won’t be sorry!

14 Natalie @ Free Range Human February 27, 2013 at 9:23 am

I am in love with Skinnytaste! I’ve only found her recently, but I’ve already made several things from her site and they are all delicious! I just made her Crock Pot Taco Chili last night. It’s the third or fourth time I’ve made it, and it’s become a favorite in our house!

15 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries February 27, 2013 at 9:23 am

Mmm cornbread! Glad you got your craving satisfied! I find all sorts of random recipes on blogs… If I’m looking for a dessert/cookie/cupcake recipe, I find myself HERE more often than not. ;) If I’m looking for a dinner recipe, I usually turn to Kath Eats, Daily Garnish, or Clean Eating Chelsey along with a few others too.

16 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl February 27, 2013 at 9:26 am

That soup looks SO delicious, and the addition of cornbread is an absolute must! I would totally be all over that dinner! ;)

I never take to heart the “calorie count” on the treadmill. In fact, I usually cut it in half because I assume it is waaaayyy too high!

17 cassi February 27, 2013 at 9:27 am

your soup plate is adorable! the polka dots make it. and the soup looks amazing…minus the beans. thats a nightmare in my belly. ha
im coming to your place for dinner ;)

and your baby belly is freakin cute!!!! you look incredible.

18 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire February 27, 2013 at 9:28 am

One of my FAVORITE recipes is Jenna’s stuffed chicken- it’s so easy and I actually use goat cheese instead of feta. I highly recommend it; I’ve made it several times and it’s always a hit!

19 Amanda @ .running with spoons. February 27, 2013 at 9:29 am

Mmm comfort food at it’s finest. This would probably be a bad time to admit that I’ve never had cornbread before :shock: But the deliciousness that is cheese on soup is something that I can definitely vouch for!

20 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige February 27, 2013 at 9:35 am

Oh my gosh, now you’ve got me craving cornbread for BREAKFAST! haha I think I’ll have to walk down the street to my favorite BBQ place soon – they have the best corn bread, and it’s gluten free :)

21 Kaitlin @4loveofcarrots February 27, 2013 at 9:46 am

I made chili last night for the soul purpose of having corn bread with it! I could have just had cornbread as my meal!

22 Meghan @ After the Ivy League February 27, 2013 at 10:07 am

Last night I tried a recipe from Iowa Girl Eats, her Chicken and Barley Veggie Stew. It was a Crockpot meal and came out delicious! My first time eating kale too.

23 Ashlee February 27, 2013 at 10:13 am

I was also going to comment on the how many calories it said you burned! I read just yesterday that that number is usually around 20% higher than the actual amount burned. Wow!
Annnnd I dont think that is an odd combo! I think it sounds delicious :-)

24 Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection February 27, 2013 at 10:40 am

I love Skinnytaste! She never fails me. I haven’t tried that soup recipe yet, but I think I might have to now. Pairing it with cornbread sounds delish!!

25 Patty February 27, 2013 at 10:43 am

I don’t know what I love more the soup dish set, the soup or the cornebread. Thanks for sharing! :)

26 Katie @ running4cupcakes February 27, 2013 at 10:44 am

We totally had the same meal last night – chili and cornbread. Although mine was a cream cheese chicken chili that was super delicious!

27 Patty February 27, 2013 at 10:53 am

Ive recently tried these two recipes from skinny taste and loved both of them:

The Santa Fe chicken I’ve been eating for lunch this week tossed on to salad instead of the rice. Love it.

28 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns February 27, 2013 at 11:00 am

Wow! I just realized that I haven’t had cornbread in so long!! But i defiantly remember the taste, and man did it taste good!! Haha I love looking at the calorie count on the treadmill, just out of curiosity, 4 miles and i burned 600 calories?? Yeah right lol.

29 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog February 27, 2013 at 11:09 am

I love Gina’s recipes! We cook them all the time.

30 Jaren@Kiwi Fit Blog February 27, 2013 at 11:15 am
31 Courtney February 27, 2013 at 11:15 am

Yummy! When I was pregnant w/my son I craved cornbread all the time. The 1st time I made it, I ate the whole pan practically myself. In one sitting lol. I’m really beginning to wonder if food cravings during preg. have anything to do w/gender. With my son I craved carbs-cereals, pastas, breads. With my current pregnancy it’s chocolate & anything sweet/sour. Thank goodness jelly beans are out in full force! I’ve had a wicked sweet tooth this time around. I find out the gender March 7th so we’ll see if a sweet tooth means a girl!

32 Renee @ Fit For Motherhood February 27, 2013 at 11:16 am

Oh my goodness, that chicken looks delicious. I think that is what I am going to make for dinner tonight. Thanks!

33 Sarah @ making thyme for health February 27, 2013 at 11:28 am

I love Jenna’s boyfriend approved spicy black bean burgers! (Eatliverun)

34 Sara @ fitcupcaker February 27, 2013 at 11:30 am

I am making that pasta fagioli next week! I cant wait. Looks delicious!

35 Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness February 27, 2013 at 11:43 am

I love cornbread! I have found so many great recipes on blogs. Two of my favorites are Julies chicken and sweet potatoes and Janetha’s sweet potato shepherd’s pie

36 Ashley @ Life and Fitness February 27, 2013 at 11:47 am

I love SkinnyTaste too! My favorite is her taco lettuce wraps, so good! It’s crazy how much the calories count is off on treadmills. Sometimes I use different treadmills at my gym and one of them says I burned a whole 100 calories more doing the exact same workout.

37 Valerie @ FreshMutz February 27, 2013 at 11:59 am

I am most certainly an omnivore but I always turn to Happy Herbivore’s soy-free vegan mac & cheese when I’m in the mood for some guiltless comfort food. I must warn that my husband is on the fence about it but I can’t get enough. http://happyherbivore.com/2009/06/soy-free-mac-n-cheese/

I’ve also made EatLiveRun’s flourless chocolate cake with vanilla buttercream frosting and it tasted like an oreo on steroids (which is a very good thing). http://www.eatliverun.com/mini-flourless-chocolate-cakes-with-buttercream-frosting/

I’ve never heard of SkinnyTaste before and can’t wait to check out her recipes!

38 erin February 27, 2013 at 12:16 pm

You must have some long legs girl-I’m @ a slow jog @ 5! So funny you talked about that soup-I made some a while back and froze a batch. I just came up from the freezer and took out the soup before I checked your blog. I love this soup-I have made it several times. So good-sometimes I add some hot sauce before I eat it to spice it up.

39 Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me February 27, 2013 at 12:34 pm

Yum! I love cornbread and I haven’t had it in forever! I’ll have to try your recipe soon! I love Skinny Taste recipes. I’m also a fan of Dashing Dish and Hungry Girl. Sunday night I made stuffed peppers and garlic cauliflower mash that was delicious! The recipes are here :)

40 Annette@FitnessPerks February 27, 2013 at 1:11 pm

I haven’t had cornbread in fooooorrreeever! This makes me want some! :)

41 Kerry @ Totes My Oats February 27, 2013 at 1:42 pm

I love Pasta Fajioli! I bet the cornbread complemented the dish well!

42 Erin @ Axell's Kitchen February 27, 2013 at 2:58 pm

I recently made Triple Layer Cookies and Cream Crunch Bars from How Sweet it is and they are as good as they sound!

43 Bethany @ Accidental Intentions February 27, 2013 at 3:10 pm

Just this past weekend I made homemade bread in the crock pot from this: http://www.annikadotbenitz.com/2012/09/housewifery.html recipe and LOVED it. Plus it was so easy!

44 Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily February 27, 2013 at 4:23 pm

Soup and cornbread…hells yes!
I didn’t realize how generous treadmill calorie counters could be until I got a heart rate monitor. Sometimes there is 100′s in count differences.

45 lindsay @ fuel my family February 27, 2013 at 8:51 pm

I love cornbread. I can’t eat chili without it! I need to try more skinytaste recipes because everyone seems to love them!

46 Hillary | Nutrition Nut on the Run February 27, 2013 at 10:35 pm

at the moment, i’m eating the nutritionella’s butternut squash black bean coconut rice bowl – it’s delicious!!

47 Julia February 28, 2013 at 4:24 pm

I love your cheesy Italian quick bread! I made it the other day and my husband couldn’t stop eating it. So we gave the rest to my in-laws and now they want the recipe. That stuff is seriously awesome! The cornbread looks good too. I may have to try it next.