Sushi with Joe and Kate

by Courtney on March 2, 2013

Last night was juuuuuust what the doctor ordered. A delicious dinner out, spent with fantabulous friends…

IMG_1474.JPG (2)

These friends, to be exact!

IMG_1476.JPG (2)

We had been hoping to get together with Joe and Kate before we left for our trip to Mexico but it just never happened, so we made sure to get together with them last night. We just love these two to pieces. Smile

IMG_1477.JPG (2)

Our double date duo hit up Shanghai Grill, a new-to-me Chinese/Japanese/Thai/sushi restaurant. Let me tell YOU…I’m so bummed I never got to this place sooner. It was SO good!

The four of us decided to start with a bunch of appetizers, which included crab rangoons (umm, oh my god they are amazing?!), pork dumplings, and my favorite…edamame.

IMG_1475.JPG (2)

I was totally going back and forth on whether or not I wanted a main entrée or just sushi. While we were in Mexico, I actually tried pad thai for the first time in my life (is that crazy?!) and loooooved it so I almost got that.

But ultimately, sushi won me over. As always.

IMG_1478.JPG (2)

A sweet potato tempura and a California roll for the preggo lady, and man-oh-man did they hit the spot. So much so that I didn’t even miss the fact that my choices of sushi these days are incredibly limited.

While we were at dinner, I had to be sure to make the group aware that we were, in fact, just a few doors down from a TCBY…

IMG_1480.JPG (2)

And, of course, we visited there for dessert. Almost for forgot to take a photo, since the place was bombarded with middle-schoolers who appeared to have just gotten out of a concert of some sort, so as soon as we got our goods, we actually just ate them in the car. Hey, they tasted just as good in there as they would have inside. I’m no stranger to eating fro yo in my car. Winking smile

*****

After letting myself sleep in a bit without an alarm this morning (which, surprisingly enough, got me up a little before 8am) I decided to make some breakfast for me and the hubs, who was working remotely from home. On the menu?

Waffles!

IMG_1481.JPG (2)

I just used some of this waffle mix to make some super quick, super delish waffles, which got topped with some syrup and banana slices.

IMG_1482.JPG (2)

Most of our morning/afternoon was spent both lounging and cleaning, and now we’re heading out for the rest of the day to run some errands, check out some stuff for Baby Tooth, and meet up with the Mexico crew tonight. Should be a fun one!

Happy Saturday, everyone! Smile

1 Shel@PeachyPalate March 2, 2013 at 2:23 pm

Love pad Thai…actually I just love Thai food :) Not a big Sushi fan..I need to get trying more of the vegan friendly options as I think I’m missing out!

2 Miranda March 2, 2013 at 2:26 pm

How fun! I love meeting up with friends, and I’m so jealous you got to go to Mexico. Your fro yo looks delicious, by the way. I’m embarrassed to admit I’ve never had fro yo..

3 Lisa March 2, 2013 at 2:46 pm

Looks like such a fun time! Especially stopping for fro-yo after! Always a must;)
Mmm…your waffle looks awesome today! That’s something I haven’t eaten in years!

4 Ashley @ Life and Fitness March 2, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Looks like a great start to the weekend! I’ve never tried sweet potato sushi rolls.

5 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 2, 2013 at 3:12 pm

Crab rangoons ARE amazing! My sister first introduced me to them and they’re awesome!

6 Angela March 2, 2013 at 3:30 pm

I am a loyal pad thai lover. I recently had yellow curry for the first time and fell in love. It was SO good!

7 Erin @ Axell's Kitchen March 2, 2013 at 4:47 pm

Yum that sushi looks good! And I have not ever tried pad thai as well, I really want to though! Sounds like you’re having a good weekend (:

8 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 2, 2013 at 4:48 pm

Sweet potato tempura sounds AMAZING!! And don’t even get me started on the fro yo. That always looks good! :)

Have a great Saturday!!! :)

9 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries March 2, 2013 at 5:04 pm

The sushi looks delicious!!! I looove tempura everything! Our breakfasts looked crazy similar this morning… Great minds think alike! ;)

10 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 2, 2013 at 6:26 pm

I am so sad I didn’t get sushi last night. That just means I have to get it at some point next week!

11 Kelly Ann March 2, 2013 at 7:11 pm

Your 9-month limit of sushi flavors is my limit forver! Just can’t bring myself to eat raw fish…California rolls hit the spot, though!

12 Kelly Ann March 2, 2013 at 7:15 pm

13 Jen@HealthyFoodandFamily March 2, 2013 at 7:42 pm

Pad Thai is my guilty, delicious pleasure. I LOVE it and would it every day if I could!

14 Katie @ SkinnyMinnieMoves March 2, 2013 at 8:01 pm

I am also guilty of fro yo in the car! lol

15 Nicole @ FruitNFitness March 2, 2013 at 8:20 pm

I love Pad Thai, it’s almost always what I’ll order if its on a menu. I am going to have to go get Thai food soon.

16 Katie @ Talk Less, Say More March 2, 2013 at 8:31 pm

I NEED to get some sushi soon, everytime I see someone post a picture of it my mouth starts watering. It’s been WAY too long!

17 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy March 2, 2013 at 10:35 pm

Mmm, I love sushi! You know who I learned has amazing sushi? Kroger! I’m not sure if you have one, but my Kroger has a sushi bar, and I tried it for the first time last week. The chef was really helpful when I was making my choices, and it was nice that I could take it home and eat it on a weeknight. It was so good!

18 Miranda @ Biting Life March 3, 2013 at 12:35 am

My boyfriend loves those sweet potato rolls, but I actually don’t think I’ve ever tried one. Gonna try to remember to steal one of his next time!

19 Cori @ olivetorun March 3, 2013 at 7:08 am

Sushi AND froyo?
We should be bffs. :)

20 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 3, 2013 at 7:39 am

That would literally be my favorite evening. ;) Sushi + frozen yogurt + friends = win.

21 Andrea @Pencils and Pancakes March 3, 2013 at 1:09 pm

Sushi always wins….

22 Runner Girl Eats March 3, 2013 at 7:47 pm

Nothing beats not waking up to an alarm. Glad you are able to get your sushi fix while preggo. I think not having sushi for 9months would be true torture for me!

23 Babs March 3, 2013 at 8:04 pm

Waffles with banana is such a good combination.

24 Bek @ Crave March 3, 2013 at 10:43 pm

Dinner looks so good- omg I had vegetarian pad thai the other day and it was awesome! Mmmm Sushi! We don’t have sweet potato sushi here- missing out :(

25 Jan @ J Cooks Healthy March 4, 2013 at 4:55 am

I’ve now got some serious food envy going on after seeing all your photos! I love love love Japanese food it is by far my all time favourite.