What Happened?

by Courtney on March 8, 2013

Well weathermen…what happened to 2-4 inches?!?

This morning, I was greeted with much more snow than we were originally anticipating, and while it is pretty…I’m ready for it to just go awayyyyyyy. It’s certainly not something I’m looking forward to driving in either, so let’s hope that the main roads aren’t as horrible looking as our little back road.

Ahhhh, but hey…it’s Friday! So at least that’s something to look forward to, right? ;)

*****

As I mentioned yesterday, last night Jay and I headed over to Joe & Kate’s house for dinner and boy-oh-boy was it delicious.

Kate prepared an amazing spread of fresh salad, potato salad, and bbq pulled chicken from the crockpot. I don’t know what it is, but it seems like bbq pulled chicken seems to happen at our dinner gatherings ALL the time. Not that I’m complaining…I mean, I LOVE the stuff. :)

Unfortunately, I was in charge of the dessert, which turned out to be a major fail. Well okay, not major…but it certainly wasn’t great. For whatever reason, the red velvet cake batter brownies that I cooked on Wednesday night did not turn out as well as my cake batter blondies usually do, and they were actually a little dry. Then, to top it off, the container of frosting (yeah, I totally cheaped out) was expired (goes to show you how often I use it!) and smelled all funny.

Luckily, Kate improvised and made us a white chocolate drizzle which helped…but it was still not my best showing.

Even their cutie cat, Iris, was skeptical of the goods.

Knowing that the brownies didn’t turn out all that well before leaving the house (hey, I had to taste test!) I also quickly whipped up some homemade caramel apple tartlets before leaving the house…

Okay, I’m totally kidding. They actually came right from my freezer, thanks to that Omaha Steaks order from back in December. They just needed to cook quick for 20 minutes in the oven and they were good to go…and they were actually REALLY good. Definitely a delicious backup. :)

*****

In other random news, just had to share my latest obsession and quite possibly what we’ll call a pregnancy craving…

Fruit snacks. Yes, I am totally loving on these things right now. It came out of nowhere, and now I want them like, everyday. So random?!

I also want to say thanks for the feedback yesterday on the whole haircut thing. I know that I’m not going to do anything drastic, but I may just wind up getting a quick trim and possibly adding in some more layers and/or an angle to the front again. Either way, I’m still keeping it ponytail accessible!

So what’s good for the weekend, friends? Tonight Jay and I may head out to do a little nursery shopping. Tomorrow we’re having a couple of friends over, and Sunday, as of right now, is looking like a chill day. It’s also most likely the day I’ll spill the beans to you all. ;)

Happy Fridayyyy!

1 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well March 8, 2013 at 8:51 am

Way to go for being prepared! My desserts are still a work in progress, so I don’t even want to think about what I would have whipped up. Haha, fruit snacks are AMAZING. Perfect pregnancy craving! Enjoy ‘em!

2 kelsey March 8, 2013 at 8:55 am

I feel like the gummy hearts may have sparked this fruit snack craving. If so oops!

3 Linz @ Itz Linz March 8, 2013 at 8:56 am

woa you guys got dumped on with snow! boo! we’re supposed to finally have some warmer weather! and your brownies still look pretty – as always!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..St. Louis Spinning

4 Karen March 8, 2013 at 8:58 am

I am dying over here waiting to find out about baby tooth, this has been the longest week of my life Courtney :)
Happy Friday!!

5 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige March 8, 2013 at 8:59 am

Drive safely this morning, Courtney! That’s one of the most anxiety-ridden things for me – driving after a snow storm. Had to do it twice a couple weeks ago!
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..My Day, Front Plank Oblique Crunches, & Taco Spaghetti

6 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries March 8, 2013 at 9:01 am

I’ve been all about the fruit snacks lately too! They’re never something I buy, but one of the kids brought them for snacks at church this week and I’ve been thinking about them ever since. Haha!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..What A Week

7 Kim March 8, 2013 at 9:01 am

Our weather was the opposite this weekend.. They were calling for 6-10 inches that ended up being less than 2 followed by rain all day.. Im nervous about the dessert! I was planning on making that for a dinner Tuesday night, and I know for a fact that the icing I planned on using is expired. Ill have some funfetti dip as backup so its all good!

8 Claire @ Flake and Cake March 8, 2013 at 9:02 am

Love the look of those caramel apple tartlets Courtney, yum! Sure they loved your desserts :)
Claire @ Flake and Cake recently posted..New Tries and Buys

9 alyssa @ life a la wife March 8, 2013 at 9:31 am

I am so ready for this snow to be gone too!

I made the blondies once too and they were a major fail :/

10 Katy March 8, 2013 at 9:33 am

Same here! We were supposed to get 3-6 inches of snow and this morning I was woken up by a call from my school saying we were closed. When I looked out the window there were about 10 inches staring back at me. And it’s still snowing!!!
Katy recently posted..The Many Men of My Life

11 Sarah @PickyRunner March 8, 2013 at 9:36 am

even if the red velvet cake bars didn’t come out that great, they still look delicious and I bet I’d eat them anyways. I never eat fruit snacks… I think it’s because my mom never let me have them growing up so they’ve never been something I craved. It’s too bad, too because I do love my candy. And snow. Booooo.
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..People say the darndest things

12 Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness March 8, 2013 at 9:39 am

That snow looks horrible, I am so read for all the snow to go away! That dinner looks fabulous, sorry the red velvet brownies didnt turn out as well as you had hoped.
Nicole @ Fruit ‘N’ Fitness recently posted..Trying Kombucha and Yoga

13 Natalie @ Free Range Human March 8, 2013 at 9:42 am

Drive safely this morning! Can’t wait for Sunday ;)
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Be Awesome Instead

14 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health March 8, 2013 at 9:42 am

Happy Friday! Have fun nursery shopping for IT. ;)
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Friday Funnies from Pinterest

15 Jenny @ The Wellness Journey March 8, 2013 at 9:44 am

Our weekend will consist of sanding and staining window trim in the house we’re building. #tedious!

We were “supposed” to get snow here in Central PA and it never arrived. Needless to say I was a tad relieved, but bummed as well because I snow day with my daughter sounded perfect!

Have a great weekend!
Jenny @ The Wellness Journey recently posted..Fitness Friday {Shoulder & Ab Workout}

16 Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 8, 2013 at 9:45 am

Love those fruit snacks! Those are my go-to snack option for long car trips when you stop at a gas station for a little something. Delicious!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Thursday Thoughts

17 Jessie March 8, 2013 at 9:47 am

Have you tried the Welch’s Fruit N’ Yogurt fruit snacks? They’re AMAZING.

18 Taren @ Life of Taren March 8, 2013 at 10:01 am

My absolute favourite is the yogurt covered fruit snacks! So addicting!

19 NYC Fit Girl March 8, 2013 at 10:05 am

I lobe fruit snacks! The mail room guy at my job always buys them for me.. yum!

20 Ashlee@HisnHers March 8, 2013 at 10:07 am

Yay for SUNDAY!
I had a major fail in the kitchen this week too, but my husband and I got a pretty good laugh out of it ;-)
Ashlee@HisnHers recently posted..Wine Bribe

21 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 8, 2013 at 10:20 am

I can’t wait for Sunday! I am soooo happy spring is around the corner because I am not loving the cold this year. Stay warm and enjoy the weekend!!

22 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit March 8, 2013 at 10:26 am

Oh wow with the snow! Our weather folks are always off base too! The apple tarts look so tasty! Happy Friday!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..Five for Friday 3.8.13

23 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes March 8, 2013 at 10:32 am

Yay!!! Can’t wait until Sunday!!!
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..A PRO Compression sock WINNER and 10 random facts from childhood

24 Heather March 8, 2013 at 10:34 am

Reading posts like this make me glad I live in the south. No snow for us! I despise the cold!

25 michelle kim March 8, 2013 at 10:57 am

Looks like a lovely weekend for you! (Awww, nursery shopping :D!).
My weekend? The only thing that’s different is that I’ll be doing a half marathon course preview with my running group (I’ll be a pacer for that half in about a month).

26 Cindy @ Paper Peonies March 8, 2013 at 11:02 am

Yay for Sunday!
Here in the city we had the opposite! They anticipated up to 4 inches and we barely had an inch when I woke up this morning. Fine by me!
Cindy @ Paper Peonies recently posted..Friday Finds 03.08.13

27 Erin @ Axell's Kitchen March 8, 2013 at 11:43 am

Yay nursery shopping is the best! Can’t wait to find out the gender and soo excited I get to do something hopefully great for it!! (:

28 Jenn@ Be Me March 8, 2013 at 11:44 am

yay! can’t wait for Sunday. They anticipated a snow storm Wednesday in DC so the city declared a “snow day”. NO work! It was nice, even though we didn’t get much snow. Hope you have a great Friday!
Jenn@ Be Me recently posted..Stop the War on Your Body!

29 Danica @ It's Progression March 8, 2013 at 11:56 am

I honestly believed you for a second that you “just whipped up” those tartlets haha
We’re going out for dinner tonight with a few friends, which I’m definitely looking forward to. Hope you have a great weekend!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..3.8 Friday Randomness

30 Courtney March 8, 2013 at 12:29 pm

I don’t know why but I am DYING to know what you are having! I am about 3 weeks behind you in my pregnancy as you are, my name is also Courtney and our husbands look alike so if I were to guess we are probably having the same sex babies! So I can’t wait to find out! :)

31 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire March 8, 2013 at 12:39 pm

At least you guys GOT snow! My family lives in Maryland and everything was basically shut down because they expected so much snow…and they barely got anything! Happy Friday! Can’t WAIT to find out if Baby Tooth is a boy or a girl!

32 Ashley @ Life and Fitness March 8, 2013 at 12:49 pm

I never liked fruit snacks when I was younger. I always thought they tasted like plastic. However I was a huge fan of the fruit roll up! Those things were good.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..11 Random Questions

33 Karen March 8, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Can’t wait to see the reveal. Hope you have a wonderful weekend.
Karen recently posted..Friday Favorites

34 Katie@LifesNextBigStep March 8, 2013 at 1:26 pm

Target makes their Market Pantry fruit snacks and they are the JAM! 60 calories in the wee packs – I keep them stashed in my snack drawer at work and are a great afternoon booster snack!! And I’m also antsy for the reveal!!

35 lindsay @ fuel my family March 8, 2013 at 1:29 pm

I chopped my hair off completely while pregnant with my older daughter…regretted it. Then I did it again shortly after I had my second daughter…regretted it! Hopefully I’ve learned and won’t do anything drastic again. Each time i wanted to cut like 6 inches off but i figured ‘only 4 more and i can donate it’ so I just gave in and did it.

36 Annette@FitnessPerks March 8, 2013 at 2:07 pm

I got my hair cut & highlighted yesterday & it felt SOOO good.

Mmmmm that bbq chicken looks fab!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..I May or May Not Have…..

37 Shel@PeachyPalate March 8, 2013 at 2:15 pm

It’s such a new mum thing to do to get a new hair cut! I think a shoulder length look would totally suit you!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Pure Simplicity

38 Katie @ running4cupcakes March 8, 2013 at 2:16 pm

I totally ate a lot of fruit snacks while I was pregnant too!
Katie @ running4cupcakes recently posted..My 1st Stitch Fix

39 Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives March 8, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Hi, I’m a new reader to your blog, and just love your posts and the “baby tooth” updates! So exciting! Happy nursery shopping this weekend! My husband and I are actually going to a baby shower on Sunday, and have date night tonight – looking forward to both!!
Koryn @ High Heels & Healthy Alternatives recently posted..Fitness Friday & Heels Over Wedges

40 Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me March 8, 2013 at 3:16 pm

One of biggest pet peeves is when my deserts don’t turn out right! I bride myself on being a great baker, and I hate it when it doesn’t live up to my expectations! have a great weekend :) can’t wait to hear about baby tooth!
Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me recently posted..It’s Friday, Friday

41 sara @ fitcupcaker March 8, 2013 at 3:21 pm

both desserts look great I think :) I love lazy Sundays, but I have too much to do this weekend so I doubt that will happen!
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Protein PB2 Sauce, Taco Casserole, and “Chores”

42 Kim March 8, 2013 at 3:31 pm

Those Welch’s fruit snacks are so tasty. I purchased a massive bag at halloween to hand out to trick-or-treaters, trust me no trick-or treaters received any.

43 Donna March 8, 2013 at 3:47 pm

Ahhhh yes, tell me about it. We got about 18 – 20 inches!!!!

44 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 8, 2013 at 4:30 pm

I was totally going to be like “What?! You ‘whipped up’ apple tartlets?!” lol
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Disney Princess Half Marathon Recap – Part 2

45 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 8, 2013 at 5:41 pm

I am pretty certain that weather people are experts at getting things wrong! But hey, I couldn’t do the job either so I guess that I should not judge! ;)

LOVE Welch’s fruit snacks. Those are the only way to go!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..White Bean and Mushroom Chili

46 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! March 8, 2013 at 6:44 pm

My husband loves those same exact fruit snacks. Did you know you can buy them in packets of only the berry flavor? Those are the best! This weekend I am planning on taking some cycling classes and tackling a Pinterest project!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Green Eats – Chocolate Vs. Fruity

47 Ellie@Fit for the Soul March 8, 2013 at 7:24 pm

hahah you totally got me on the apple tartlet thing! And my goodness~I can’t believe how snowy it is there, it looks like Narnia.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Completely Baked

48 bek @ Crave March 8, 2013 at 7:52 pm

Damn! That’s not like you to not have a perfect dessert! Thank goodness for back ups ;) It probably wouldn’t stop me eating the brownies though ha.

Ps. The automatic fill still isn’t working :S Might just be me though- but it works on other blogs :)

49 Courtney March 8, 2013 at 10:14 pm

Hmm I don’t know. It seems to be working for others, from what I can tell? Maybe if you try clearing your browser history?

50 Billie Jean March 8, 2013 at 9:44 pm

Hey! I’m in Air Force technical school for weather forecast training! It’s not the easiest thing the the world, and blows my mind at how people came up with how to forecast! It’s nothing what I thought it would be like AT ALL. But unlike a civillian job, we have to be 100% right or lives could be lost. Just thought I would share:) And now I’m craving fruit snacks :P

51 Angela March 9, 2013 at 1:37 am

I can’t wait to find out!!
Angela recently posted..Freezable Mini Quiches [a recipe]

52 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 9, 2013 at 7:27 am

I hate when my desserts are a fail. Such a bummer. But hey, they still looked pretty!! ;)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..35 Weeks: My Georgia Baby Shower!

53 isabel marant outlet March 11, 2013 at 9:25 pm

The headsets don’t fold flat not to mention Philips doesn’t offer a travel pouch from the package, so their own long-term durability may be a concern if you need to regularly stuff them in a travel handbag.

54 Donny March 12, 2013 at 11:52 am

Well at least the weatherman got the snow part right. I swear they probably darts or a ouiji board to get their forecasts. The brownies look great to me, even if the cat was suspicious of them :)