WIAW: Just Like a Cheeseburger

by Courtney on March 13, 2013

Wednesday already?!? Alriiiiiiiiight! Time for another week of WIAW…but really for me, it’s always WIATuesday.

While I didn’t do super awesome in the green department, I’m pretty sure I still did better than last week, so I’ll take it. Besides…everything that went into my belly yesterday was deeeeeeelish…green or not. Winking smile

I should also make note that all of my meals/snacks up until dinner were actually prepared during commercial breaks while watching The Bachelor on Monday night. Knowing that it was going to be a late night, I figured I should get a head start on my meals for the next day. Turns out, my plan worked perfectly.

Breakfast

A simple batch of overnight OIAJ with lots of blueberries and topped with a little granola.

Mid-Morning Snack

A slice of pumpkin banana bread, which I’ve decided actually didn’t turn out as good as usual. For whatever reason, the texture just seems to be off this time. I’m assuming it has something to do with my swaps in flour.

Lunch

Apparently while I was making my meals on Monday night I was craving breakfast food, eh? Winking smile Lunch was an amazing omelet made with two eggs and filled with lots of fresh spinach, some diced chicken, diced tomatoes, and provolone cheese. It was incredible.

Mid-Afternoon Snack

A couple of hours later I snacked on a strawberry sunrise Chobani flip. It was good, but wasn’t my favorite. I definitely liked the key lime flavor better.

Drive-Home Snack

I hit a little bit of traffic on my way home and started getting hungry, so I ate the veggies and hummus I had brought with me while I was stuck and waiting. I’ll tell ya…I was super thankful to have those in my bag!

By the time I got home, Jay was already hard at work on making last night’s dinner. He’s such a keeper. Once I got changed, I headed out to the kitchen to join him and as the two of us were cooking and chatting, we happened to notice a lovely little sight outside our window…

Robins!! It’s so strange because when my grandparents lived here, my grandma always used to tell my mom how she’d see robins all the time, yet we never saw them at our house. Apparently, the robins are still hanging out in this old yard, which is a-okay by me.

I’ll take extra signs of spring ANY day!

Dinner

So last week, I came across a recipe from Skinnytaste for a Cheeseburger Casserole. Since red meat is totally my thing these days (along with cheeseburgers), I decided to add it to the dinner rotation this week.

Okay, seriously? When she says it tastes like a cheeseburger…it really DOES taste like a cheeseburger. No joke! We followed the recipe exactly, only using veggie pasta in place of regular (it’s the only kind of rotini we had on hand).

Both Jay and I loooooooved this dish, not only because it was super easy to make but also because it tastes amazing. And we have lots of leftovers. Score!

I served up my portion with some sugar snap peas and called it a meal. And a good one, at that!

I mean, really…it has pickles on top. How could it not be good? Smile

Dessert

Soooo, I totally forgot that I had ordered a couple of boxes of Girl Scout cookies from a woman at work a few weeks ago. Welllll, they arrived yesterday…

Two of my favorites – samoas and trefoils. Mmm mmm mmmmmm. Needless to say, they were broken into after dinner last night. Ohhh yes…it’s a good thing Girl Scout season only comes around once a year. I cannot be trusted around those darn samoas!

Questions for the Morning:

• Have you had any Girl Scout cookies yet this year? What are your favorites?
  • What are some of your favorite signs of spring?

1 Sherri March 13, 2013 at 8:03 am

Urrrrggh somebody needs to come to my house and take the samoas from me!!!

2 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 13, 2013 at 8:06 am

Nice job with the meal prep while watching the Bachelor. Now THAT is a good use of time. I should totally follow suit!

That omelet looks really delicious even though it is reheated. How do eggs taste reheated?

Lastly, thanks so much for sharing the link to the Cheeseburger Casserole. That is definitely getting bookmarked and I am going to attempt a vegetarian version. I am excited. You are right….anything including pickles sounds pretty darn amazing :).
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..“Meatloaf” Veggie Burgers

3 kim@hungryhealthygirl March 13, 2013 at 8:09 am

I have got to get my hands on Chobani’s flip yogurt! I haven’t seen it in my area yet. Your dinner looks fabulous…I’ll have to look that recipe up. Love Girl Scout cookies, but I avoid them like the plague. If they’re in the house….they are gone! ;)
kim@hungryhealthygirl recently posted..Spring Break Edition of What I Ate Wednesday

4 Shari March 13, 2013 at 8:11 am

Favorite Girl Scout cookies = Thin Mints and Tag-a-longs.
Favorite sign of spring = flowers and trees blooming (hopefully soon!) :)
Shari recently posted..Plus and Minus.

5 Linz @ Itz Linz March 13, 2013 at 8:15 am

cheeseburger casserole?! sounds oddly delicious! :) my students sell girl scout cookies so i have ordered a few boxes. favorite sign of spring? WARM WEATHER!!!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Soggy Salad Eater

6 Claire @ Flake and Cake March 13, 2013 at 8:18 am

I think you were super restrained with the cookies Courtney, I wolud have struggled to stop myself from eating the whole pack. Nothing wrong with breakfast items at lunch at all, its my favourite meal of the day so why not have it twice?!

7 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 13, 2013 at 8:26 am

I can devour a box of tagalongs in one sitting. So good. I get really excited when I start to see the cheery blossoms bloom (they started a few weeks ago here!) This weekend we will be in the mid 70s so I think spring has sprung in North Florida :)

8 Lauren March 13, 2013 at 8:27 am

Oh yes, I will most definitely be making that casserole. But as much as love me a good pickle, I may have to leave them out of the recipe. A little weirded out by them in a cooked dish…
Alsooooo, I think it’s so funny you’re craving cheeseburgers during your pregnancy. My first trimester all I wanted to eat was red meat, and everyone was fully convinced I was having a boy (I had a girl). Supposedly there’s some correlation between red meat and boys. I don’t know what it is, but I just think your body craves the iron from red meat during pregnancy.
Lauren recently posted..Mom Brain

9 Ashley @ Life and Fitness March 13, 2013 at 8:27 am

My favorite girl scout cookies are the Thin Mints. I used to looooove those. I haven’t had them in a long time-since I went gluten free. Girl scouts need to create a gf cookie!
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..WIAW- True Life: I’m A Messy Eater

10 Karen @ Runner Girl Eats March 13, 2013 at 8:28 am

11 Sarah March 13, 2013 at 8:35 am

That’s so funny, we made that exact cheeseburger casserole on Monday night- SO good.
I was like OH MY WORD, this tastes like a cheeseburger, and the pickles really sealed the deal, yo. I’m so making that again.

12 Sarah @PickyRunner March 13, 2013 at 8:38 am

I don’t like girl scout cookies. I know, the horror. I’ll eat the trefoils if I have to but I usually let people who actually want them have them :) I know, so generous. Your dinner looks so, so good! I need to be more creative in the kitchen.
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..The many layers of the “picky runner”

13 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty March 13, 2013 at 8:40 am

First of all, that dinner looks SPECTACULAR! Num!
I have had one Thin Mint and one Samoa (which is my fav) so far. We have a box of samoas and a box of tagalongs in the freezer.
I get so excited when I see robins hopping around because that is a VERY good sign that spring is around the corner! I a so ready for it.
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Activities and Adventures in Turks and Caicos

14 Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers March 13, 2013 at 8:44 am

Nope, no Girl Scout cookies yet for me. I am in a hurry to try that cheeseburger casserole though. I’m off to check it out!
Tiff @ Love Sweat & Beers recently posted..WIAandAandAW

15 Erin @Axell's Kitchen March 13, 2013 at 8:56 am

Love samoas and trefoils as well!
And I craved ground beef while pregnant too, I hardly even ate it before! I actually talked to one of my nurses about it and she said that a lot of the times its your body’s way of telling you it wants iron. Sure enough my iron levels were low my whole pregnancy! OR maybe you just want ground beef haha!

16 Colleen March 13, 2013 at 8:58 am

this post made me laugh because you sound just like me! since being pregnant i always have to have snacks on me and i’m constantly pulling random foods out of my purse at random times (ie, when sitting in traffic) i’m also obsessed with red meat these days!

17 Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection March 13, 2013 at 9:00 am

That cheeseburger casserole looks amazing! Need to try that. And not only have I tried Girl Scout cookies, but I’m already three boxes down. Eek! My favorites are definitely Thin Mint!
Elaine @ Cooking to Perfection recently posted..Skinny Chocolate Biscoff Muffins

18 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles March 13, 2013 at 9:01 am

I’ll have to remember that casserole…it sounds like something the boyfriend would absolutely love!

19 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life March 13, 2013 at 9:06 am

We actually didn’t order any Girl Scout cookies this year, but I may have to get a box or two from the little girls that sell in front of the grocery! :)

I have to try that cheeseburger pasta recipe! It looks incredible and I know my husband would absolutely love it!

20 chelcie @ chelcie's food files March 13, 2013 at 9:13 am

mmm that casserole sounds awesome..i’m a sucker for any good baked dish!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Greek Chicken and Rice Bake

21 Natalie @ Free Range Human March 13, 2013 at 9:15 am

I tried that particular Skinnytaste recipe last week! It was delicious. It’s definitely going into the main rotation!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Currently

22 Abby March 13, 2013 at 9:20 am

So jealous that you have grass! MN is still rocking AT LEAST two feet of snow. :( All of your eats look awesome, as usual!
Abby recently posted..Let’s Talk Food (And Maybe A Giveaway?)

23 Shel@PeachyPalate March 13, 2013 at 9:26 am

The bright mornings and usually the weather but we’ve had snow this week out of no where!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Not a whole lot of green

24 Brooke @ Running In Heels March 13, 2013 at 9:29 am

Yum!! Cheeseburger casserole looks amazing!
Brooke @ Running In Heels recently posted..Studying with the Biggest Loser

25 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries March 13, 2013 at 9:37 am

I wouldn’t say you did half bad at all in the veggie department yesterday! Everything looks delicious! Oh Girl Scout cookies… Those things get me every time. I just bought a box of Samoas the other day as I was leaving the grocery store. I’m sure that’ll happen a few more times in the near future. Samoas and Tagalongs are my favorites, but I don’t think there’s one I don’t like!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..WIAW #76: A Whole Lotta Yum!

26 Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 13, 2013 at 9:37 am

I’m definitely checking out that cheeseburger casserole recipe, sounds really good and unique! And yes, samoas are amazing. Have a couple in my freezer right now that a friend brought over, I wish she brought the whole box!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..WIAW and Super Exciting News!

27 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 13, 2013 at 9:44 am

I seriously cannot WAIT for spring. I’ve already been noticing the days getting slightly longer and warmer, and the other day I even heard the birds chirping and I was seriously over the moon. As soon as I see the first buds popping out on the trees and get a little bit of rain, I’m going to break out the ridiculously happy dance :mrgreen:
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... guest post – overcoming exercise addiction .

28 Nicole @ FruitNFitness March 13, 2013 at 9:51 am

I love when I start to hear the birds chirping in the mornings :) I always keep granola bars and trail mix in my purse/car for when snack cravings hit.

29 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health March 13, 2013 at 9:57 am

This is my first spring in Northern California and they have the most beautiful flowering trees here right now. It is such a pretty sign that spring is here!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Black Bean, Lentil & Sweet Potato Veggie Burgers

30 alyssa @ life a la wife March 13, 2013 at 10:37 am

I’ve never had either of those cookies – Is that weird!? I’m a thin mint and tagalong girl :)
alyssa @ life a la wife recently posted..WIAW – Vegetable Fried Quinoa

31 Emily @ The Good Era March 13, 2013 at 10:45 am

I successfully avoided girl scout cookies this year! I have no self control, so I just didn’t even buy them this year.

I LOVE when Robins start coming back, or when I can hear them chirping before I even get out of bed. This weekends weather was such a tease, I am so ready for spring!
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Thoughts and Questions

32 Karen March 13, 2013 at 10:49 am

I love girl scout cookies and my box of Samoas arrived about two weeks and I have had to control myself…ha-ha. I can’t wait for spring and being able to go on walks outside. I love hearing the birds in the morning & having some breakfast on our patio.
Karen recently posted..What I Ate Wednesday

33 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well March 13, 2013 at 10:56 am

OOooo those Samoas….just can’t get enough of ‘em! As for your cheeseburger cassarole, I feel like that would go over quite well in our house, so I may be doing some printing in a little while. Have a great Wednesday!

34 Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction March 13, 2013 at 11:00 am

I saw this last Thursday on the Skinny Taste website and made it that night. It was delicious! I cannot believe you made it too – I saw the picture and thought – wow that looks like what I made last week. lol – I cut it in half and made it in a 9×9 pan. The pickles were a great addition and I served with lettuce because we had some that needed to be eaten.

I love the Somoas – I have always loved them – I am getting my boxes tonight. I order those, thin mints, and the peanut butter ones for the hubby.
Ashlee @ A Step in the Right Direction recently posted..I think we may have a problem…

35 Angela @ Beauty in Strength March 13, 2013 at 11:17 am

We just had over 30 robins and a couple of rabbits on our school lawn yesterday! I couldn’t help but smile! :)
Angela @ Beauty in Strength recently posted..Big Difference

36 Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me March 13, 2013 at 11:21 am

I LOVE Samoas, thin mints and tagalongs :)
Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me recently posted..Two Times Tuesday

37 Stephanie @ Food Fit 4 Real March 13, 2013 at 11:23 am

A few weeks ago I was walking in the grocery store with my kids and some girl scouts were selling cookies in front of the store. I let each kid pick a box of cookies, which made me a really cool mom since I never let them buy cookies from the store (we usually make our own cookies at home). My favorite is still thin mints.
Definitely ready for spring this year, we love playing outside and riding bikes when the weather gets warm!
Stephanie @ Food Fit 4 Real recently posted..Ellie Activewear

38 Alysia @ Slim Sanity March 13, 2013 at 11:54 am

I could totally get down with that casserole!

I have had thin mints and tag-a-longs… my favorites! I stole a few from some friends. I usually don’t buy them since they are easily gone in one sitting. Eek!
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..WIAW #42: grilled veggie stuffed porkchops

39 Annette@FitnessPerks March 13, 2013 at 12:04 pm

Smart girl to do all that meal prep!!

I love girl scout cookies–THIN mints are the bomb diggity. Speaking of, I need to buy some….. :)
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Reduction in ‘Magazine Reading’

40 Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction March 13, 2013 at 12:09 pm

I love thin mintsssssssss! So much so that I can’t buy them because I will literally eat the whole box!

Birds chirping are my sign that Spring has sprung! Chirp Chirp! :)
Stellina @ My Yogurt Addiction recently posted..New Hair with a Flair

41 michelle kim March 13, 2013 at 12:23 pm

Wow! That cheeseburger casserole looks awesome!
And my favorite sign of Spring are all the cherry blossoms blooming. It’s so beautiful to drive or walk down the street and see them!
My least favorite (which comes tied with all the blooming things) is allergies. Blech.

42 Alisha @ Alisha's Appetite March 13, 2013 at 12:31 pm

my hubby picked up a couple of girl scout cookie boxes the other day and wants to wait to open them until after lent! I might have to try and sneak one out anyway ;)

43 Andrea March 13, 2013 at 1:20 pm

That recipe looks delicious! I love me some Dulce de Leche Girl Scout cookies — can’t go wrong with caramel & milk! And my favorite (early) sign of spring is when spring onions start to sprout up — that means that consistently warm weather is just around the corner!
Andrea recently posted..16 Weeks

44 Jen March 13, 2013 at 1:34 pm

I made that for dinner last night too! It was SO good! I cooked up a couple of slices of bacon for it & then sauteed some mushrooms with the onions in the bacon grease. I also added a fresh jalapeno to it-SO DELICIOUS!!!

45 Allison March 13, 2013 at 2:00 pm

I am dying to try the key lime Chobani flip! Frozen thin mints are definitely my favorite. No signs of spring because it’s snowing like crazy here in Michigan :(
Allison recently posted..Liebster Award + Buff-Up Your Man

46 Lauren March 13, 2013 at 2:26 pm

Elmo was watching Doves outside this morning and I got so excited, too! Also, I think you can “smell” spring. The air just has a different way about it… Or maybe that’s in my head ;-)
Lauren recently posted..Uhm… YES.

47 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire March 13, 2013 at 2:42 pm

Giiiiiiiiiirl, the best part of being a Girl Scout growing up was the cookies! I’m a Thin Mint, Samoas & Tagalong lover- I can’t pick my favorite because they’re all so good!

48 cassi March 13, 2013 at 2:46 pm

I used to love the samosas but def no way I could eat them now without feeling the negative side affects afterwards. :/ I found a few healthier gluten free remake recipes I want to try eventually.
This past weekend was a sign of spring coming to me! In Northern VA we had the most gorgeous weather!!!!!! Spent it outside and walked around D.C. :) Oh and this time change thing I love. Still sunny getting out of work. woohoo!
cassi recently posted..BodyKey Shamrock Shake – Vegan, Gluten Free, Refined Sugar Free

49 cassi March 13, 2013 at 2:47 pm

and my bad. I meant samoas* :P

50 Cassie @RedLetterDaye March 13, 2013 at 3:13 pm

I’m all about multi-tasking while watching TV, too. Perfect balance of productivity and chill time. :)
Cassie @RedLetterDaye recently posted..A weight off my shoulders

51 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! March 13, 2013 at 4:09 pm

I haven’t purchased any Girl Scout Cookies yet this year, but I’m sure it’s only a matter of time. Although I can’t eat them, my husband is obsessed with thin mints. He can eat an entire box in one sitting. My favorite part of Spring is the leaves coming back to all the trees and the grass turning green again. I just love how green everything gets in Austin. It makes my heart happy!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Coconut Cilantro Butternut Squash and Quinoa Salad

52 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen March 13, 2013 at 4:37 pm

No girl scout cookies for me here!! I love the Samoas and the peanut butter chocolate chip ones :) YUM! Favorite signs of spring: warm weather and sun!!
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..Partner or Solo Chest and Triceps

53 Katie @ Baking and Swimming March 13, 2013 at 6:12 pm

I love freezing thin mints. I think that is the best way to eat them! I also live the Savannah Smiles!

54 Kelly Ann March 13, 2013 at 6:43 pm

My downfall is Thin Mints. Especially when they’re frozen, I just can’t get enough!

55 Miranda @ Miranda Runs March 13, 2013 at 7:51 pm

Okay. I’m in love with everything you ate. Can I just have all that food transported over my mi casa? ;)
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..WIAW 3/13- Wisdom Teeth Edition

56 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 13, 2013 at 7:54 pm

I’ve been wondering about the Strawberry Sunrise Cho… that’s the only one I haven’t been able to find in stores. I’m absolutely obsessed with the Key Lime Crumble!

57 Allison @ Life's a Bowl March 13, 2013 at 9:14 pm

I’ve had the strangest and strongest craving for red meat the past few days – burgers last night and leftovers tonight definitely hit the spot ;) I have a feeling hamburger casserole would be satisfying too!
Allison @ Life’s a Bowl recently posted..Littlest Things, Biggest Deals

58 Cait March 13, 2013 at 9:16 pm

the lemom cookies are amazing. I totally had a gs cookie binge last night! ahh

59 Lyric March 14, 2013 at 12:15 am

I’d say you did pretty well in the greens department! I need to hire someone to take the trefoils away from me, they are so addicting.
Lyric recently posted..WIAW

60 Bek @ Crave March 14, 2013 at 1:07 am

Um yum! Looks so good. I really enjoy these posts!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Weight Room Gossip

61 Shelly March 14, 2013 at 10:55 pm

I’m so glad you made that recipe! I have been eyeing it wanting to make it, but my husband hasn’t been sure about the idea. I’m going to tell him you gave it a thumbs up. I think I’ll make it tomorrow!

62 Trisha March 16, 2013 at 2:36 pm

Holy crap that casserole looks goooood!
Trisha recently posted..WIAW: Vacation Edition

63 Jessamy @ In the Words of an Asian March 18, 2013 at 12:35 pm

Oh I love GS cookies. My favorite is samoas! However, the tagalongs are a close second! :)
Jessamy @ In the Words of an Asian recently posted..Happy Sunday!

64 Caitlin May 15, 2013 at 1:40 am

The key lime flips are my favorite!! I just had one this morning :)