Nothing To Show For It

by Courtney on March 18, 2013

You know those days where you feel like you’ve spent all of your time working on something, yet barely have anything to show for it? Yes, yesterday felt like one of those days…I’ll explain in a minute. But first, I have to share yesterday’s amazing breakfast sandwich.

On Saturday when I went to the Farmers Market, I picked up a loaf of sourdough bread (one of Jay’s favorites). So after a quick grocery shop early yesterday morning (done and out of the way!), Jay and I tag-teamed some breakfast sandwiches using the fresh bread.

My sandwich was made up of a fried egg, provolone cheese, and turkey bacon, and then we pressed the sandwiches on our panini press. Seriously, sooooo good.

Shortly after breakfast, I got in a workout…a yoga + pilates workout to be exact. I finally got a chance to try out the prenatal yoga DVD that I bought back in January, and I liked it. The session was about 30 minutes long, and it did a great job of proving just how badly I need to do more yoga. Holy crap, were my muscles tiiiiiiiight.

I followed it up with three of the 10-minute sessions of my pilates DVD (standing, core, and flexibility). I honestly can’t even tell you the last time I worked out for an hour, but it felt good to do it while I had the time and didn’t feel rushed.

Cody was there to watch me the whole time. Winking smile

Once the workout was complete, it was time to tackle my big project for the day…cleaning out our spare room to prepare to make it the nursery.

Believe it or not, these photos actually show progress. I know…it’s sad. The majority of my time was spent going through the closet and dresser, cleaning out old clothes to either throw away, donate, or attempt to sell back.

Luckily, I’ve got all of that part just about squared away, so now it’s just a matter of clearing out the rest of what’s in there to make room for all of Baby Tooth’s stuff. On Saturday we ordered the rest of our nursery set, so with that coming in soon – along with a good amount of clothes for our little man already – we’ve really got to get things rolling!

After spending the majority of my day working on all of that mess, we eventually called it quits and made some dinner.

The pan on the right was some diced up sweet potatoes and chicken sausage, and the left was this bag of fire roasted veggies from Trader Joe’s, which was actually quite delicious. The bag, however, said it was six servings…apparently Jay and I are pigs, because we’re getting three out of it?

I decided to just throw everything all together to make for an easy, one-dish meal, and thankfully it all went together fantastically.

The sauce on the veggies had somewhat of a sweet taste to them, which I loved paired with the sweet potatoes. This was definitely a great meal, and one that I’ll be enjoying for leftovers sometime this week at lunch.

With yesterday being St. Patrick’s Day and all, you’d definitely never realize it in this house, haha. I don’t think we had one hint of Irish-ness happening, but hey, no biggie. I guess I’ll just have to celebrate it twice as much next year when my little leprechaun is here. Winking smile

So this week is already looking pretty busy on our end…three evenings so far that are already booked after work, which means I’m really going to have to be good about getting to bed at a decent time at night so I’m not as exhausted feeling as last week. Tonight is our first busy evening…heading to mom and dad’s house for dinner and haircuts for us!

How was everyone’s weekend? Do anything fun? Any fun and/or exciting St. Patty’s Day stories??

1 chelcie @ chelcie's food files March 18, 2013 at 9:06 am

that breakfast sandwich sounds amazing! I don’t think there is anything better than freshly baked bread!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..10 Things You May not Know

2 Allison March 18, 2013 at 9:09 am

I cannot wait to see what the nursery looks like once it’s finished! :)
Allison recently posted..Get It Done.

3 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well March 18, 2013 at 9:15 am

Oooo I hate when that happens. Just be proud you’re getting the boring “clean out” part done now, so you can enjoy the fun decorating later!

4 Lisa March 18, 2013 at 9:26 am

At least you’re getting the cleaning over with now. I definitely think that’s the worst part, but imagine it once it’s all nice and done! It will be fantastic.
Oh, your Dinner looks so good for the night!
Ha, my house also had not a bit of Irish to it, I don’t think I did anything green wise yesterday. I did have a green smoothie, but that’s about it. Oh well.
Lisa recently posted..Lately…

5 Amanda @ .running with spoons. March 18, 2013 at 9:28 am

Those pictures of your spare room are making me dread my own spring cleaning that I have to do soon, but it always feels nice to get a little bit more organized, and I’m betting that your little guy’s nursery is going to look amazing once you get started on it.

I didn’t actually have the most exciting weekend either. The weather here has been absolute garbage, so I spent most of the weekend in the kitchen doing a bit of recipe testing.
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... hawaii highlights – manoa falls .

6 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty March 18, 2013 at 9:29 am

I can so relate on that feeling where you ave been so productive all day and then feel like you have nothing to show for it. But you know you did it! So remember that!
Take care and have a fabulous Monday!!
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Frozen Yogurt Cake & Almond Cookies

7 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health March 18, 2013 at 9:48 am

That looks like a big project to tackle but luckily you still have some time. I didn’t celebrate St. Patrick’s Day at all either. Maybe next year!
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Wine in Walnut Creek + Trouble in Paradise

8 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries March 18, 2013 at 9:51 am

Our spare room looked pretty similar before we cleaned it out for the nursery. ;) It’s amazing how much STUFF can get packed into one room! Glad you were able to get a nice workout in!
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..A “Low Key” Weekend That Wasn’t

9 Emily @ The Good Era March 18, 2013 at 9:54 am

I fiiiiiiinally cleaned out my closet yesterday and it SO needed to happen. I had close exploding out and was able to fill two trash bags to donate. Now that I’m in the spring cleaning mood, we’re tackling the rest of the house this week/weekend!

It also felt great to get something done after a day of drinking Saturday ;)

Can’t wait to see your nursery unfold!
Emily @ The Good Era recently posted..Irish Filled Weekend

10 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl March 18, 2013 at 10:21 am

I LOVE paninis, but never think to make them for breakfast. Awesome idea! :)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..BBQ “Sausage” and Apple Quesadillas

11 Linz @ Itz Linz March 18, 2013 at 10:21 am

hey cleaning and organizing takes a long time girl – good start!! the best part of my weekend was either hiking or getting in some good pool time!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Hiking at Squaw Peak

12 Ashley @ Life and Fitness March 18, 2013 at 10:23 am

I’m the say way with yoga. I’ll be really into it for a couple months, then never do it again for six months. Whenever I get back into it, I’m so sore the next day. It really shows how unflexible I am unless I keep up with it.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..Stumpy McTavern

13 Kerry @ Totes My Oats March 18, 2013 at 10:23 am

That breakfast sandwich looks amazing! I love one dish meals for dinner. So easy and delicious!

14 Erin @ The Grass Skirt March 18, 2013 at 10:36 am

I remember what a pain it was to clear the bedroom for the nursery. You’ll get there though. Some progress is better than none!
Erin @ The Grass Skirt recently posted..Weekend recap (in mostly pictures)

15 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes March 18, 2013 at 10:48 am

That vegetable mix looks great! I’ll have to pick some up! We had a pretty low key St. Patrick’s day compared to some in the past. It was wonderful to be with family though :-)
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Festively green

16 Meghan @ After the Ivy League March 18, 2013 at 10:55 am

Productive days are always the best feeling. I had the exact opposite Sunday..recovering from all the celebrating on Saturday for St. Patty’s. Many many stories, don’t think any of them will make their way into the blog world though! haha
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Blogger Fail

17 Colleen @ Wide Eyes Quick Feet March 18, 2013 at 10:57 am

A few weeks ago, I took a “before” picture of my bedroom with the intention of having it finally clean and cutely decorated that evening….I’m pretty sure If I took an “after” picture today it would look worse than when I started :P

18 Erin @Axell's Kitchen March 18, 2013 at 11:03 am

I am a grandma and did nothing too exciting..crazy how much having a baby changes things!

19 Chelsea @ CrazyBullies March 18, 2013 at 11:13 am

My Fiance and I went to a concert friday! It as my first concert, I was excited!
Chelsea @ CrazyBullies recently posted..Sunny Side and Concert

20 Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake March 18, 2013 at 11:37 am

It’s Spring Break for me over here and so we got some spring cleaning done this weekend, church, tacos for dinner, this morning i got the worst run in ever but hey, its cool, and TOMORROW I’m going on an 8 mile Hike to the Walls of Jericho in North Alabama. Pretty excited!
Audrey @ In Shape Cupcake recently posted..WHAT A SURPRISE! I Was Nominated!

21 Amanda, RD- The Nutritionist Reviews March 18, 2013 at 11:42 am

I love sourdough bread too! Such a treat from my usual whole grain breads.
Amanda, RD- The Nutritionist Reviews recently posted..Simply7 Chips Review and Giveaway + 3 Year Blogiversary

22 Marielle March 18, 2013 at 11:57 am

Lol Cody is too cute. I can’t see how you decorate the nursery when it’s all done! :)

23 Angie March 18, 2013 at 12:00 pm

I have a question about your dinner, when you make sweet potatoes mixed in with the sausage do you just dice them and cook them in the pan raw or are they pre- cooked to soften first? Thanks!

24 Courtney March 18, 2013 at 2:41 pm

Last night I started cooking the sweet potatoes first, which were raw. I sautéed them in a little evoo, salt, and pepper. They took a little longer that way but I had the time (I’ve done both). I cooked the chicken sausage in the micro to defrost then chopped them up and added to the sweet potatoes when they were just about cooked through. All together, everything took maybe 20 minutes?

25 Claire @ Health Nut Claire March 18, 2013 at 12:12 pm

That picture of Cody makes my heart melt! But I know exactly how those kind of days feel. It must be so exciting to start organizing and decorating your nursery though!
Claire @ Health Nut Claire recently posted..Scenes from the Weekend: Home Edition

26 Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me March 18, 2013 at 2:03 pm

I had such a fun weekend! Parades and parties galore! It sounds like yours was nice and relaxing though!
Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me recently posted..St. Patrick’s Weekend Recap

27 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 18, 2013 at 2:25 pm

Ugh, I am so not looking forward to doing the same thing. My goal for spring break is to do the closets – that guest room closet is kind of our catch all, and everything needs to find a new home to make room for babies!

28 Courtney March 18, 2013 at 2:39 pm

YAY babies!!!! :)

29 Shel@PeachyPalate March 18, 2013 at 3:13 pm

Working all over the weekend including today…serving green smoothies and soups to the masses! Great fun! At least you’ve made a start on the clearing…starting is the hardest part!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Lip licking, chin dripping good

30 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 18, 2013 at 3:33 pm

That breakfast sandwich DOES look pretty good!

31 Melissa March 18, 2013 at 3:36 pm

My weekend was pretty low-key except for some Irish food yesterday! And progress is progress on the room, even if you can’t see it now!
Melissa recently posted..Train!

32 Ellie@Fit for the Soul March 18, 2013 at 4:44 pm

I’m really starting to think that I kind of need a panini press! They always make sandwiches look even better than they already are~And I totally believe you when you say that the spare room is showing progress, because we haven’t even started with ours since that is the place where all my husband’s stuff is! It’s his office and place where he does most of his work, unless he goes out to a cafe or something. So much to do, so little time~But I guess enjoying it and just relaxing through the process is the best way since stressing doesn’t make it any better, right? :D
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..First Time Foods

33 Jessica @ Prayers and Apples March 18, 2013 at 5:33 pm

Hopefully all that spare room cleaning will go fast for you – I hate doing stuff like that :/ ..such a cute pic of cody! lol :)
Jessica @ Prayers and Apples recently posted..Eat Healthy on the Go: A Mother’s Survival Guide

34 Miranda @ Miranda Runs March 18, 2013 at 8:08 pm

I hate when I feel that feeling.. I work so hard but no one can tell! I feel like cleaning is very much that way. There’s just SO MUCH and it’s hard to make a dent!
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..MIMM #3

35 Karen March 18, 2013 at 11:05 pm

Ugh this reminds me how badly I need to clean out my closets :/ good job on the long workout!

36 Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! March 19, 2013 at 12:23 am

Your breakfast sandwich looks absolutely delicious! My weekend was fabulous. Two of my best girlfriends came in to celebrate St. Patty’s Day and catch up!
Lauren @ Fun, Fit and Fabulous! recently posted..Lately, I’m loving….

37 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections March 19, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Mmm, that dinner looks great. I love just throwing stuff together and having a “one bowl” kind of meal.

I can’t imagine trying to clear out a whole room and make it baby-ready! I can see how that seems like you didn’t get much done. It will all come together though. Can’t wait to see it!

38 Bek @ Crave March 19, 2013 at 7:15 pm

I think serving sizes are ridiculous- but if anything it’s good you’re eating plenty of vegies ;)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Emotional Eating Series: Post 2