Baby Tooth: 23 Weeks

by Courtney on March 26, 2013

Oh my goodness…Jay had me laughing SO hard while we were trying to take this week’s Baby Tooth photos.

23 weeks

He was quite the character and kept doing things that would have me laughing mid-photo…there were definitely quite a few outtakes this week. Winking smile

IMG_0012-001

Now tell me you’ve seen a bump update pic like THAT before. Winking smile

And I promise I really don’t always wear all black…my favorite cozies just so happen to be that color!

But ANYWAYS! Let’s get to the good stuff…Baby Tooth is just over 23 weeks today and is about the size of a large mango.

Here’s what Baby Tooth has been up to this week:

• More than 11 inches long and weighs over a pound.
  • Blood vessels in his lungs are developing to prepare for breathing.
  • The sounds that your baby’s increasingly keen ears pick up are preparing him for entry into the outside world. Loud noises that become familiar now — such as a dog barking or the roar of the vacuum cleaner — probably won’t faze him when he hears them outside the womb.
  • His face is fully formed – he just needs some more fat to fill it out!

As for the rest of this week’s updates…

I actually found this survey on Ashley’s blog at 23 weeks (since I stalk all of her older updates every week) and thought it’d be fun to do it myself. You guys know I’m a sucker for surveys as it is, so here we go!

About Me

Name? Courtney

Age? 29

Height? 5’7”

Hair color? brown

Eye color? dark brown (seriously, my pupils are not easy to spot!)

About the Father

Name? Jay

Age? 29

Height? 6’0”

Hair color? dirty blonde/light brown

Eye color? hazel

About My Pregnancy

Is this your first pregnancy? Yes

When did you find out you were pregnant? November 11th – the same morning that Jay had to leave me for a week for work.

Was it planned? Yup!

What was your first reaction? I jumped around the bathroom, literally. I had a good feeling, but seeing the results on the test just made it a bit more real.

Who was with you when you found out? Just me (thank goodness nobody else had to witness my crazy dancing “skills” at 6:45 in the morning). But as soon as I stopped the jumping around…

Who was the first person you told? Jay, of course! He was still lying in bed half awake, so I crawled in next to him. Pretty sure he knew as soon as he saw my face.

How did your parents react? Both of my parents did a little “YAY!” scream, and my mom followed it with an “I knew it!” We had stopped into their house unannounced on a Sunday evening, which we never, ever do. My in-laws both cried and they definitely were not expecting it. Both reactions were incredible.

How far along are you? 23 weeks

What was your first symptom? A little crampy, sore boobs, and feeling super tired.

What is your due date? July 19th, 2013

Do you know the sex of the baby? It’s a boy!

Have you picked out names? I think so…but we’re still afraid to 100% commit to it! We had a list of about five to start, and then had a couple filter in and out. Now we’re basically down to two, but we’ve had our number one stay the same the whole time. Jay says he wants to wait until he seems him, but I don’t know…one of these days we’ll figure it out!

How much weight have you gained? I think about 15 pounds, but I haven’t touched a scale at home.

Do you have stretch marks? Nope (fingers crossed!)

Have you felt the baby move? Yes, every single day. It never ever gets old.

Have you heard the heartbeat? Yes, a couple different times! I look forward to it every appointment, and always wish that the doctor would let it go longer. It’s just so amazing.

About Baby Tooth

Will you keep the baby? No doubt about it!

Home or hospital birth? Hospital

Natural or medicated birth? I’ll most likely get an epidural, but we’ll see how it goes.

Who will be in the delivery room with you? I haven’t quite decided on this one yet. Definitely Jay, but I may need my mom in there for a little while…she is just incredible at making me feel better, no matter what. Something tells me I may need some of that. Winking smile

Will you breastfeed? I’m really, really hoping to. I know that it doesn’t always work for everyone, so I don’t want to be too disappointed if it turns out that it’s not for me. But I’m definitely planning on giving it my best shot.

Do you think you’ll need a c-section? I hope not, but I don’t think many people know until it happens so we’ll see.

Will you cry when you hold the baby for the first time? Oh gosh, no doubt. I get teary eyed NOW, just thinking about that moment. It literally gives me chills.

What’s the first thing you might say to him? Haha, I have no idea. Probably something along the lines of “Oh my god, it’s YOU!” or “You’re finally HERE!”

Would you let someone videotape the birth? Yikes. I highly doubt it. I don’t think I’d ever be able to bring myself to watch it.

Are you excited or scared about the birth? Absolutely psyched. Granted, I do get nervous from time to time, since the whole thing is just so unpredictable. But I’m really looking forward to experiencing every single part of it – the good and the bad (although hopefully more of the good!).

*****

So that’s it for this week…I know I’ll say it many more times from here on out, but I still can’t get over just how FAST time is flying by. It’s crazy!! Smile

1 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl March 26, 2013 at 7:10 am

You look great! No better feeling then your baby moving around and kicking! ;)
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Food Finds from my First Visit to Whole Foods Market

2 Sherri March 26, 2013 at 7:19 am

You have the world’s cutest baby bump Courtney! I am so excited for you and can’t wait to find out what you name the little man.

I also think it’s awesome that you’re looking forward to the birth. Our baby girl is due in September and while I am so looking forward to holding her I am completely terrified to give birth. I’m hoping I calm down by then! EEK!

3 Heather @fitncookies March 26, 2013 at 7:39 am

I love the crazy bump picture! Too funny! When you know the name you want, it’ll just click and nothing will change it! Praying for an easy delivery! I know my mom has a way to put me at ease and make everything better so I’m sure shed be in the room with me!! Haha nothing wrong with that!

4 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes March 26, 2013 at 7:53 am

You look so happy!!! I loved this survey and can’t wait to see baby tooth :-)
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..Inpatient Treatment: Getting Over the Stigma of Hospitalization

5 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy March 26, 2013 at 8:07 am

You look great! It’ll be here before we know it!!

6 Emily @ Perfection Isn't Happy March 26, 2013 at 8:08 am

(the due date, I mean — I wouldn’t refer to your little boy as an “it” :))

7 Katy @ HaveYouHurd March 26, 2013 at 8:09 am

I’m also pretty sure I’m having my Mom in the delivery room with me and my husband. I think it will be good support for Jon and my Mom has been through everything else in the world with me, it would be weird not having her here for this! I’m def going to sit down and set some ground rules though before we go in there haha. Mom is also allowed to step out and any time if she feels uncomfortable or overwhelmed. I’m nervous and excited for birth!
Katy @ HaveYouHurd recently posted..Week 26 Update

8 chelsey @ clean eating chelsey March 26, 2013 at 8:40 am

Loved that survey!! And the photos – haha! You’re a goof.

I’m a little nervous for birth – mainly because I know I’ll probably be getting a c-section. Hopefully the excitement of seeing my babies will help me get through it!!

9 Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom March 26, 2013 at 8:41 am

Looking fab! Alsoooooo, get that epidural girl! And ask for it EARLY. I made the mistake of waiting it out a bit and ended up getting it just before I started pushing. Brutal.
Lauren @ Confessions of a First Time Mom recently posted..Mom Brain Strikes Again

10 Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian March 26, 2013 at 9:06 am

Go girl! You’re looking so radiant and happy. Can’t wait to meet little tooth!
Sarah @ Blonde Bostonian recently posted..A Call to My Fellow 20-Somethings

11 Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries March 26, 2013 at 9:11 am

Too stinkin’ cute – YOU that is! :) Time is just flying by! I go back and forth about feeling incredibly scared and super excited about the labor and delivery part. I’m sure everything will go great, but I can be a big worry wart at times. ;)
Ashley @ My Food N Fitness Diaries recently posted..The Power of Positive Thinking

12 Lauren March 26, 2013 at 9:45 am

Two things: 1) The epidural is amazing!! I was afraid to get it because I had heard it can really slow down labor. It did the opposite for me. I went from 2cm dilated to 10 in two hours (and this was my first baby). It allowed my body to relax and do what it had to do. 2) My husband and I agreed to have my mom in the room with us during labor and I’m so glad she was there. She helped SO much and it was such a special experience to have her in there with us.
You are looking so wonderful and happy Courtney!

13 Danica @ It's Progression March 26, 2013 at 9:52 am

I like this survey! And you look just as beautiful as ever!
Danica @ It’s Progression recently posted..Rihanna Concert

14 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health March 26, 2013 at 10:03 am

You and Jay are going to have a beautiful baby! I know we all are excited to see him. Your making me get baby fever now! ;)
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Travel Tuesdays: Weekend in Wimberley Day Two

15 Erin @Axell's Kitchen March 26, 2013 at 10:08 am

Ahh you look soo cute! I had never planned on having anyone other than my hubby in the room with me and then when it was time to g to the hospital I knew at that moment I didn’t want her to leave my side for one second..and she didn’t! I could have never done it without her!

16 Natalie @ will jog for food March 26, 2013 at 11:31 am

Love the survey! I might have to steal it too, hehe.

I definitely share the same view about videotaping the birth. Nobody wants to see all that ;)
Natalie @ will jog for food recently posted..Week 38 – Lots of Walking

17 Kathryn March 26, 2013 at 11:32 am

My mom has been at the birth of both of my children, and if I have any more, I want her to be there for them, too! My husband was great, but there’s just something about having your mom there that makes everything a bit better.

I had an epidural with my first but not with my second. With my first, I developed what they call a hot spot, a spot the size of a dinner plate, on my hip, where I could feel every contraction. Having them in just that one spot made them unbearable, so when it came time for the second, I just decided to skip it. However, that’s what I decided for me personally, do what works for you!

18 Laura March 26, 2013 at 11:42 am

My mom is the same way. She always makes me feel better, even if she just touches my head or my face. I don’t know what I would do!

You are GLOWING and look so beautiful!!!!

19 Chelsea @ Cardio and Cocktails March 26, 2013 at 12:05 pm

That bump is just too cute! I can still hide mine pretty well but after the wedding next week, Shane said he wants to see a big belly lol. I love the survey, I may just have to borrow that sometime soon ;). I also don’t know how I missed that adorable Baby Tooth header but it is precious!
Chelsea @ Cardio and Cocktails recently posted..Sunshine Makes Everything Better

20 Jennifer@knackfornutrition March 26, 2013 at 12:09 pm

So sweet! You have the cutest little bump!
Jennifer@knackfornutrition recently posted..A Passover Lunch

21 Ashley@BeautifulBliss March 26, 2013 at 12:17 pm

Congrats!! You look amazing and that little bump is just too cute! Loved the survey you added, it was fun getting to know your journey so far!!
Ashley@BeautifulBliss recently posted..Mushroom “Pizza” & Double Work Outs

22 Danielle @ Truffles n' Treadmills March 26, 2013 at 12:33 pm

This was a fun survey to read! It has been fun seeing your bump grow! Do you know how you are going to handle work, a baby, and blogging?
Danielle @ Truffles n’ Treadmills recently posted..Procrastination at it’s Finest

23 Courtney March 26, 2013 at 1:33 pm

Haha, nope! I’m not setting any expectations right now…we’ll see how it goes when the time gets here!

24 lindsay @ fuel my family March 26, 2013 at 2:20 pm

you look adorable! I loved being pregnant both times, I think I am the most confident about my body pregnant for some strange reason! its nice to be able to jsut let loose and not worry about holding in ab muslces in a bikini or anything(because you cant :)) Makes me want to be pregnant again (for the baby too of course :))!

25 Kristen @ notsodomesticated March 26, 2013 at 3:41 pm

Ahh so cute!! :) You are looking great, girl! I can’t believe how quickly time is going … for both of us!! :)
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..38 Weeks Pregnant: My Push Gift

26 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake March 26, 2013 at 5:10 pm

I’m glad you decided to keep the baby. ;-) LOL What a silly question!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Weekend Recap: 3/22-3/24

27 Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well March 26, 2013 at 7:53 pm

Awww you’re going to be such a great mama :) I’m excited to keep following your journey, keep us updated!
Avery @ Southern Belle Living Well recently posted..Why I Choose To Blog At 15

28 Regan March 27, 2013 at 12:15 am

As the brand new Momma of a 6 week old..my advice tonyounin hospital…let every single nurse assist you with breastfeeding….get a grip on it when they can helpmyounhands on…. Do a breastfeeding class…and take Jay…u need his support too!

29 Bek @ Crave March 27, 2013 at 1:49 am

Love the survey! Wowza your belly sure is growing :)
Bek @ Crave recently posted..The Only Easter Guide You’ll Ever Need

30 Andrea March 27, 2013 at 2:03 pm

My labor was decently fast (hospital at 2 delivered at 8) I was 7cm when I arrived and asked for an epidural right away but it still took 2 hrs before I got it. That was something’s didn’t expect.

Holding that baby the first time. Chills, nothing like it.

I was really worried about breast feeding but we are now 7.5 months in and it’s still fantastic!