Weekend Wrap Up

by Courtney on April 1, 2013

Well heyyy there. Happy Monday and Happy April to you all! How was everyone’s weekend? Per usual, it totally flew by for us, but we definitely had a lot keeping us busy and also got a lot accomplished.

Friday night, both of us were pretty wiped from the week (nothing out of the ordinary, especially for meeee) so we decided to stay in for the evening. I had plans to make up a double batch of buffalo chicken mac & cheese for my friend, Joelle, who just had an adorable little baby boy last week, so I worked on that while Jay made us dinner.

You may remember my quick mention on Friday of the stuffed shells that were on my radar, and Jay did an amazing job of doing the whole recipe on his own. He’s so good.

Saturday was a busy day. I headed out fairly early to take care of a few errands…one of which included a pit stop to find some new maternity jeans. Although I am still able to wear my regular jeans, they’re slowly becoming less and less comfortable, and I figured it was time to just bite the bullet and do it.

I was this close to buying this purple pair of maternity skinnies…

But I decided against it and just wound up buying a pair of regular skinnies, along with a few other tops and bottoms. When everything first rung up at the register, my total clocked in at a whopping $223(!!). But thanks to a return, a coupon, and a couple of mall gift cards, I only wound up spending $80 – which included 3 bottoms and three tops. Not too shabby, right?

Saturday afternoon, Jay and I headed out for a few hours to visit our friends Jo & Kyle and their new baby boy (again, so adorable, and makes me SOOO anxious for our little guy to get here!). On our way back home, we stopped off in Saratoga for dinner at a local restaurant we’ve been hearing great things about for a while, Mexican Connection.

We were given chips and salsa to start, but we already knew we needed to add some guacamole to that mix as soon as we saw it on the menu.

Ohhhhhh my gawwwwwd. I love all guac. Really, I do. But this stuff was unbelievably delicious. Seriously, probably some of the best I’ve ever had. We will be back…and we will be back when I can also add a margarita to my order. Winking smile

For dinner, both of us decided to try what was deemed their “best selling item,” the chimichanga + a soft taco. Neither of us had ever tried a chimichanga so we really didn’t know what to expect.

Well, for one, it’s enormous. Had we known it was so big, we would have just gotten the chimichanga and not the combo with the soft taco (although the taco was amazing). But I will say that chimichangas are pretty tasty. The filling was delicious, and I wound up eating around a lot of the fried shell just because I was getting full so quick. I probably made it through almost half before having to call it quits…but man, it was delicious.

The rest of Saturday included a trip to Home Depot for new windows and a new screen door, and then we spent some time painting the nursery. I am so so so thrilled with how it’s turning out already! We still have some trim work to do and whatnot, but it’s definitely starting to come together. Smile

Sunday (Happy Easter!) was a bit more low key for us. Jay and I both woke up feeling a little less than stellar thanks to our tummies being a bit off. I wound up staying at home for the morning while Jay went out for brunch, but I did end up making it out for a few hours in the afternoon to head to my parents’ house.

When I got there, I quickly discovered that the “Easter Bunny” had dropped off an extra special gift…our glider and ottoman!!

My parents offered to buy us our glider, but they told me that they had to order it and it would be about 8-10 weeks before it came in. They’re so sneaky. Winking smile

I relaxed in that glider for the majority of my time at mom & dad’s while visiting, and also had a little bit of dinner while I was there too. No photos, but we didn’t do the typical Easter fare – instead, there was steak and chicken on the grill. Hey, what can I say…we’re not all that traditional. And I like it.

Of course, the Easter Bunny also left some candy baskets for us…

And I’ve certainly managed to enjoy a few pieces from it already, now that I’m starting to feel back to normal. Despite feeling a bit under the weather on Sunday, it was still a nice day and a great weekend at that.

What was the highlight of your weekend? Did many of you enjoy “X, Y, or Z” after having given it up for lent?

*****

Before signing off for this morning, and on a slightly different note, I want to take a quick second to ask for your thoughts and prayers for my friend, Ashley. Ashley gave birth to adorable Baby Hunter on Friday morning, but after his first 24 hours, he began struggling with breathing and they discovered that he’s suffering from pulmonary hypertension. I cannot even begin to fathom what they’re dealing with, so if you can, please keep them in your thoughts.

1 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 1, 2013 at 8:09 am

It sounds like you had a fabulous Easter weekend!! Candy, Mexican food, the perfect baby Easter present, fabulous deals while shopping, and family and friend time? That definitely equals perfection! :)

Oh, and those stuffed shells sound amazing. This past weekend I made a vegan lasagna with tofu “ricotta cheese,” and I am thinking that it would be delicious in stuffed shell form, too!

Prayers for Ashley and baby Hunter!
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..What Vegans Eat: Day 7

2 Parita April 1, 2013 at 8:10 am

What a deal you got! Glad y’all had a good weekend! And your friend and her baby are in my thoughts and prayers…

3 Linz @ Itz Linz April 1, 2013 at 8:12 am

awww so sneaky and so special of your parents to play easter bunny and bring over your glider!!! ashley and fam are def in my prayers – so scary!
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Bestowed Giveaway

4 Sarah April 1, 2013 at 8:21 am

Please tell your friend that we are praying for her… she just needs to have hope and believe in the power of prayer- nothing is impossible with God! He loves her and her child, miracles will happen :)

5 chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 1, 2013 at 8:25 am

that glider is so beautiful and looks so comfy! I love those purple pants! maybe you’ll go back soon and decide to purchase them :) There is also nothing better than chips and guac..but adding the margarita to the combo makes it even better..soon enough!!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..Scenes From Easter Sunday

6 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 1, 2013 at 8:29 am

How neat that the Easter bunny left you such a special gift! Glad you’re feeling better and hope you have a great week!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..Marvelous Easter Weekend!

7 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 1, 2013 at 8:30 am

$80 for 3 tops and 3 bottoms? Definitely an awesome deal! Although I have to admit that I’m kind of a fan of the purple skinnies ;) And that’s so sweet of your parents to surprise you with the glider for Easter. I definitely could have used a little time in one of those after nursing my Easter dinner/candy food baby this weekend!

8 Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness April 1, 2013 at 8:30 am

It sounds like you had a great Easter weekend! I have been thinking about Ashley, I’m so sorry to hear that baby Hunter is having problems. Will keep them in my thoughts and prayers.
Nicole @ Fruit ‘N’ Fitness recently posted..March Foodie PenPals Reveal

9 Sarah @PickyRunner April 1, 2013 at 8:32 am

I’m sorry you were feeling off on Easter. That’s no fun at all :( I hope you are feeling back to normal today. The stuffed shells from Friday look delicious and I love getting easter baskets. Never too old. Never :)
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..Stay out of my way

10 Erin @Axell's Kitchen April 1, 2013 at 8:35 am

The highlight of my weekend was definitely all the Easter festivities with Levi- It is SOOO much fun having a kid on holidays! And I dressed him like a bunny and it was the cutest thing ever!! ANd I think you should get the purple skinnies..just sayin (;
Erin @Axell’s Kitchen recently posted..Weekend Wrap Up: Easter

11 Shel@PeachyPalate April 1, 2013 at 8:41 am

You should so go back and get the purple skinnies as well! They’re gorgeous! Just read Ash’s post..can’t believe it the poor thing, thoughts love and prayers with the three of them! xx
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..10 minutes a week

12 Jen @nutcaseinpoint April 1, 2013 at 8:42 am

It was finally nice enough here to take the pup for some hikes!! Oh, and we looked at show homes and new cars (bad idea to get my hopes up!)

13 Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes April 1, 2013 at 8:59 am

Looks like the Easter bunny was good to you :-) Definitely praying for Ashley and her family. Thanks for letting us know!
Elizabeth @ My Neon Running Shoes recently posted..I AM the next Easter bunny.

14 Suzanne @ Mixing It Up April 1, 2013 at 8:59 am

I love that your parents still put an Easter basket together for you! I plan to do that with my kids too. :-)

Ashley and Hunter are definitely in my prayers. As a mom to two, I can only imagine how hard it is to deal with a health issue like this.
Suzanne @ Mixing It Up recently posted..Weekend Recap: Easter Celebrations

15 Jessica April 1, 2013 at 9:03 am

Where did you go shopping for maternity pants? I’m in need of some colored maternity jeans :)

16 Courtney April 1, 2013 at 9:27 am

Destination Maternity :)

17 Ashley @ Life and Fitness April 1, 2013 at 9:10 am

Can’t wait to see what the nursery looks like! An ottoman is def. a nice Easter surprise! :)
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..I’m Quitting Blogging

18 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 1, 2013 at 9:15 am

Gotta love getting good deals! Although I’m kind of really loving the purple skinnies :-p
Whenever I’m out for Mexican, I absolutely have to order guac to go with the chips and salsa, Easily my favourite part about Mexican food!

The glider is so pretty! So nice/sneaky of your parents :-p

19 Sara @ fitcupcaker April 1, 2013 at 9:18 am

I had WAY TOO MUCH SUGAR and candy yesterday. I just couldnt stop myself, it was bad. So Now I am trying to limit the candy even though there is a ton of it in my house. My step son got 3 baskets! Praying for Ashley and the baby :)
Sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..Weekend Recap: “Grace”

20 Natalie @ Free Range Human April 1, 2013 at 9:25 am

Oh no, I hadn’t heard about Ashley yet. Definitely praying for them.

Looks like the Easter Bunny was very good to you this year! I enjoyed a Reeses Egg myself yesterday :)
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..Nothing Daunted

21 Jana @ Happy Wife Healthy Life April 1, 2013 at 9:29 am

That was so sweet of your parents to not only get you the glider, but to also make it a fun surprise! I hope you are feeling 100% again!

I just read Ash’s post this morning and am definitely praying for her little family , and especially baby Hunter.

22 Tara | Treble in the Kitchen April 1, 2013 at 9:41 am

If you ask me…I think the purple pants were very cute, but I’m sure the jeans are great too!!
__________________________________
Hunter and Ashely are in my thoughts and prayers!! I can’t even imagine how scary that must be.
Tara | Treble in the Kitchen recently posted..A Very Special Easter

23 Lindsay April 1, 2013 at 9:49 am

Sounds like a fantastic weekend! The pregnancy excitement is all over the blogs lately. So great :) I really feel for Ashley and hope everything turns out ok. She’s in my thoughts as well.

24 Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health April 1, 2013 at 9:55 am

That is awesome the Jay helps you in the kitchen. I love my man but there’s no way he could pull that recipe off. You are looking super cute with your belly!

Ashley and her baby will be in my thoughts for sure. I can’t imagine how scared she must feel but I also think that medicine is so advanced these days that Hunter will be okay.
Sarah @ Making Thyme for Health recently posted..Saturday in San Francisco + The Japanese Tea Gardens

25 Andrea @pencils and pancakes April 1, 2013 at 9:55 am

You have been loving the Mexican lately!! Haha love it

26 Lauren April 1, 2013 at 10:13 am

I definitely believe in having un-traditional eats on holidays. You can never go wrong with grilling! I can’t believe you got three tops and three bottoms for $80! That’s what you call a deal! (I definitely would have bought the purple pants ;-) )
Lauren recently posted..Just Stopping In…

27 Avery @ SBLW April 1, 2013 at 10:19 am

What a nice Easter :) I’m stunned to say that I actually haven’t had any candy yet! (Unless Peeps count. I like to think of them as more of a necessity than a candy…) We need to fix that!

28 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 1, 2013 at 10:41 am

Omg, that guac DOES look fantastic! Yum!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..Vlog: Kona Kase

29 Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 1, 2013 at 10:51 am

Mexican food looks delicious! I got a bit of candy from the Easter bunny too this year. And I read about poor Ashley and baby Hunter too this morning, I’m praying and hoping for the best for them!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..Short and (definitely) Sweet

30 Heather @fitncookies April 1, 2013 at 10:53 am

Sneaky sneaky Easter bunny! :) Awesome gift right there, and that basket of candy is unreal! So amazing. Your weekend looked so fun, and that Mexican place looks delicious! My weekend was great because we put an offer in on a house and got to spend lots of time with the family!
Heather @fitncookies recently posted..Easter Recap and MIMM

31 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns April 1, 2013 at 11:06 am

Those shells look so good!!! I will defiantly be keeping your friend in my thoughts and prayers.
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..Rewind and Update

32 Nicole April 1, 2013 at 11:25 am

Thinking warm thoughts for Ashley and her family…..thank you for posting that (I follow her blog, too).

33 Runner Girl Eats April 1, 2013 at 11:50 am

We had steak yesterday too! I am not a fan of traditional Easter food at all so I was very happy about this. I hope everything is ok with your friend’s baby. I will keep him in my prayers.
Runner Girl Eats recently posted..Hard boiled eggs for days

34 Claire @ Keeping Up With Claire April 1, 2013 at 1:56 pm

There’s nothing like some good guac! I can eat my body weight in that stuff! And I gave up sugar/chocolate/froyo :( for Lent, so you better believe yesterday was a little sugar-fest! It was glorious.

35 Fizz @fizzsbizz April 1, 2013 at 4:24 pm

Happy easter!

Now go back and get those purple jeans immediately. So cute :)
Fizz @fizzsbizz recently posted..A craving for salad!! Who am I??

36 Amanda April 1, 2013 at 5:52 pm

nothing like a good mexican food night! i love chimichangas!! mmm now im craving some guac and tacos :)
Amanda recently posted..What To Do With Leftover Easter Candy

37 Leigha April 1, 2013 at 6:27 pm

Stuffed shells are happening soon! I just tried guacamole this weekend- OMG! so good. I’ve never had a chimichanga. What nice parents :) Many prayers for Ashley and Hunter. <3
Leigha recently posted..Foodie Pen Pals Reveal Day!

38 Miranda @ Miranda Runs April 1, 2013 at 8:33 pm

Wait, wait. I thought the Easter Bunny brought candy! Not so sure how Peter Cottontail hopped down the bunny trail with that ;) Haha! Just kidding. What a great present! I was so, so sad for Ashley when I read her post. Definitely praying!
Miranda @ Miranda Runs recently posted..MIMM #4: 4/1

39 Bek @ Crave April 2, 2013 at 3:31 am

The highlight was all the relaxing and no responsibility- I really want that back now. Looks like you had a great weekend!
Bek @ Crave recently posted..Natural Cheesecake

40 lauren April 2, 2013 at 5:27 pm

We aren’t very traditional either, I made stuffed shells and meatballs and it was such a good Easter dinner!
I’m pretty jealous that you’re still in your jeans. I’m 25 weeks now, but mine have been too small to pull up all the way since…sometime in February?! I have one pair of maternity jeans and 3 pairs of maternity dressy pants that I cycle through…I realllly hope they make it ’til my due date!