WIAW: Quite a Treat

by Courtney on April 3, 2013

Aaaaaaand we’re back, for another edition of What I Ate Wednesday Tuesday!

Not a ton of green happening this week, but hey, I did alright. Plenty of nutritious eats paired with yummy treats. Let’s check out the goods…

Breakfast

Love Grown Foods Hot Oats (peach almond vanilla flavor, yum!) + coffee

After I snapped that photo, I added a big spoonful of peanut butter to the oats…made them 10x better than they already are.

Mid-Morning Snack

An apple + a small handful of unpictured almonds

Simple, yet satisfying.

Lunch

If I wasn’t so lazy, I swear I’d probably make chicken and/or tuna salad for lunch every day. Every time I make it, I’m totally in love with the stuff.

I made this chicken salad slightly different, using what I had available: a can of chicken, finely chopped onion, celery, carrots, and cucumbers, dried cranberries, green grapes, dijon mustard, ~1 tbsp light mayo, salt & pepper.

Then I scooped them it all up with a generous serving of wheat thins.

Mid-Afternoon Snack

Another favorite of mine…cottage cheese with chunk pineapple and fresh strawberries.

Usually, I enjoy my Greek yogurt as a snack, but every once in a while I like switching it up with some cottage cheese.

I also required a little extra sweetness after the cottage cheese…

I got this dark chocolate coconut cream egg from the “work Easter bunny” last week and it’d been sitting on my desk ever since. I decided to go for it (I’m hit or miss with coconut) and it totally hit the spot.

Dinner

We were treated to a delicious dinner, courtesy of our pals Josh & Erika (aka, our favorite OBX travel partners) last night! On the menu were some side salads,

which got topped with this, umm, incredibly delicious salad dressing…

And THE most amazing pulled chicken. Ever.

With lots of scoops tortilla chips to scoop up the good stuff, of course.

Dessert

Shortly after dinner, we also had dessert, which was quite a treat. Have you guys ever seeeeeen this Blue Bunny Red Velvet Cake ice cream?!?

To be honest, I wasn’t even sure I’d like it since red velvet is typically chocolate based and I’m not a fan of chocolate ice cream. But this stuff? Oh no…THIS stuff was fantastic.

I thoroughly enjoyed every last bite of my portion.

So there we have it! Another successful WIAW Tuesday with lots of yumminess. Just how I like it. Winking smile

1 Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl April 3, 2013 at 8:03 am

That salad dressing sounds amazing! I really enjoy buffalo flavors, so I will have to try that. And that ice cream?? Yes, please! They also have a carrot cake flavor which is amaaaazing if you like carrot cake.

Happy Wednesday! :)
Hannah @ CleanEatingVeggieGirl recently posted..Vegan Tempeh and Black Bean Tacos

2 Claire @ Flake and Cake April 3, 2013 at 8:03 am

That coconut creme egg looks delicious Courtney! I’m also very interested to hear about the red velvet ice cream – have never come across that before! Pulled chicken sounds very tasty. Happy WIAW!
Claire @ Flake and Cake recently posted..WIAW: Easter Goodies

3 Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections April 3, 2013 at 8:06 am

That chicken salad sounds amazing! I’ve only ever put cranberries and celery in mine. I love that you add so much to it. I’d want that every day too!
Melissa @ Freeing Imperfections recently posted..Organization Challenge Goals

4 Ashley @ Life and Fitness April 3, 2013 at 8:08 am

I’m not a fan of coconut either. My favorite Easter candy is the caramel eggs, now those are GOOD.
Ashley @ Life and Fitness recently posted..WIAW-My New “Dessert”

5 Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me April 3, 2013 at 8:23 am

I LOVE Red Velvet!!! That looks delicious!!
Maureen @ Breaking Free & Finding Me recently posted..Musical Wednesday

6 Lauri April 3, 2013 at 8:23 am

That ice cream was on 50% clearance sale at my grocery store last week and I was SO close to buying it! Now i just might have to :)

I’ve been loving coconut coffee lately! Green Mountain Island Coconut in my Keurig. Yum!!

7 Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty April 3, 2013 at 8:27 am

I have been very intrigued by that red velvet ice cream! It looks delicious!
I have one of those same coconut eggs in my Easter basket—I’m anxious to try it!
Melanie @ Beautifully Nutty recently posted..Mom’s Ham and White Bean Soup

8 Taylor April 3, 2013 at 8:45 am

The chicken salad sounds amazing!

9 Shel@PeachyPalate April 3, 2013 at 8:48 am

That ice cream sounds incredible!
Shel@PeachyPalate recently posted..Peas on toast

10 chelcie @ chelcie's food files April 3, 2013 at 8:49 am

that ice cream sounds AMAZING. I always forget how much I love tuna salad until I make it..its perfect to eat alongside some crackers!
chelcie @ chelcie’s food files recently posted..WIAW-Easy Meals

11 Sarah @PickyRunner April 3, 2013 at 9:03 am

RED VELVET ICE CREAM?! From the cake master himself? Oh man I know what I’m looking for at the store tonight…. I need it. Right now.
Sarah @PickyRunner recently posted..Backwards Progress

12 Andrea @ Andrea out loud! April 3, 2013 at 9:06 am

I tried that red velvet ice cream a few months ago!!… I have to say… I actually didnt love it. I know, I am a weeeeirdo. I think I’m just pretty boring when it comes to ice cream ;)
Andrea @ Andrea out loud! recently posted..The Post Where I Get Serious…. And Tell You How Much I Weigh

13 Erin @Axell's Kitchen April 3, 2013 at 9:10 am

That pulled chicken looks sooo good!! And that coconut egg..YUM
Erin @Axell’s Kitchen recently posted..Kahlua Cheesecake Swirl Brownies

14 Sam @ Better With Sprinkles April 3, 2013 at 9:13 am

Anything red velvet makes me happy – although I’m not a chocolate ice cream fan either, so I’m glad it’s still tasty.

15 Tiff April 3, 2013 at 9:13 am

Mmmmm, that ice cream looks awesome! I’ve been on an ice cream kick lately. Just.Can’t.Get.Enough.
Tiff recently posted..WIAW: National Walking Day

16 Natalie @ Free Range Human April 3, 2013 at 9:15 am

I’ve seen the Red Velvet ice cream a few times, and I’m very intrigued! Every time I see someone blog about the Love Grown Hot Oats, I get extremely jealous. I want to try them!
Natalie @ Free Range Human recently posted..No Foolin’

17 Paige @ Your Trainer Paige April 3, 2013 at 9:22 am

I LOVE Red Velvet cake ice cream. Ben and Jerry’s has one that’s to die for!
Paige @ Your Trainer Paige recently posted..Eating to Gain Weight in a Healthy Way (WIAW)

18 Avery @ SBLW April 3, 2013 at 9:32 am

RED VELVET ICE CREAM?! Um, care to share? ;)

19 Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner April 3, 2013 at 9:36 am

Holy yum! Your eats look so good! I need to find that salad dressing! I am obsessed with tuna salads! I make mine with celery, cucumber, peppers, raisins, the laughing cow Swiss &… the kicker…Cinnamon! I have to try your chicken salad now :) happy WIAW!
Morganne @ Nut Butter Runner recently posted..Recipe Week Edition: WIAW

20 Amanda @ .running with spoons. April 3, 2013 at 9:42 am

There’s a super work-intensive veggie egg salad that my family always makes around the holidays that makes me really wish I was willing to put the time and effort into making it more often because it’s seriously delicious. But I guess having it only come out a few times a year just makes those occasions more special. And I’m definitely with you about not being a fan of chocolate ice cream – usually I find it seriously lacking in the chocolate flavor department. Vanilla all the way :)
Amanda @ .running with spoons. recently posted... WIAW … post-holiday recovery .

21 Jennifer@knackfornutrition April 3, 2013 at 9:44 am

Yum! Your chicken salad looks great!

22 Suzanne @ Mixing It Up April 3, 2013 at 10:07 am

Never mind the ice cream, Buffalo Ranch dressing….I have GOT to try that!!!
Suzanne @ Mixing It Up recently posted..What’s Cooking: Philly Cheese Turkey Sloppy Joes

23 Lindsay April 3, 2013 at 10:10 am

I keep seeing cottage cheese pop up on the blogs, so I really need to try it!

24 Nicole @ Fruit 'N' Fitness April 3, 2013 at 10:15 am

That pulled chicken looks amazing! I agree with you, nut butter always makes oatmeal even more fantastic!
Nicole @ Fruit ‘N’ Fitness recently posted..WIAW – Half Marathon Edition

25 Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl April 3, 2013 at 10:22 am

Love cottage cheese with fruit! Can’t wait until peaches are in season because they go so perfectly with cottage cheese!
Kim @ Hungry Healthy Girl recently posted..It’s What I Ate Wednesday!!

26 Angela @ Health's Angel April 3, 2013 at 10:23 am

I’d be alllll over that coconut cream filled egg. I am a coconut fah-reak.
Angela @ Health’s Angel recently posted..Rapunzel Wannabe

27 Becky April 3, 2013 at 10:42 am

That chicken looks amazing! Do you know how they made it?
Becky recently posted..The Best Proposal Ever!!

28 michelle kim April 3, 2013 at 10:46 am

YUM! The pulled chicken and the tuna salad look so good. What a great day of delicious eats!

29 Khushboo April 3, 2013 at 10:47 am

Just tell me that the ice cream involved cream cheese in some sort…if so I’m SOLD! Actually who am I kidding, the picture alone has me wanting some NOW!

30 Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns April 3, 2013 at 11:01 am

I swear, you always post the best food ever! It all looks so good! But now I know that I really need to make me some chicken salad. I’ve been craving it for a while, and this just confirmed that it is a must :)
Chelsea @ LittleOneRuns recently posted..Why’s it Have to be so Hard Sometimes?

31 Lisa April 3, 2013 at 11:08 am

So feel you about chocolate ice cream, I’m not sure what it is, but I’m a vanilla girl for sure!
Your eats are looking delicious yesterday!
Yum.
And a coconut cream egg, I loooove coconut anything so that would totally be my thing. I want to find those now. :)

32 Jana @Happy Wife Healthy Life April 3, 2013 at 11:10 am

Oh wow! Red velvet ice cream? That sounds right up my alley! I love red velvet cake (it was even a tier of my wedding cake!) so you can bet I will be looking for this flavor in the store! :)

33 Katie @ KatieEnPursuit April 3, 2013 at 11:17 am

OMG that ice-cream! I have seen it advertised before & need to buy it, looks amazing!!!
Katie @ KatieEnPursuit recently posted..One Word Wednesday…

34 Meghan @ After the Ivy League April 3, 2013 at 11:18 am

Never seen the salad dressing or the ice cream before, now I’m on the lookout for both!
Meghan @ After the Ivy League recently posted..GF Hummingbird Cupcakes and a Non-Recipe

35 sara @ fitcupcaker April 3, 2013 at 11:47 am

I like your combo of fruit with cottage cheese, yum! And that ice cream is probably amazing!!
sara @ fitcupcaker recently posted..WIAW- Pancakes & Low Carb Enchiladas

36 Annette@FitnessPerks April 3, 2013 at 11:49 am

Coconut & choc is the best!!

Chicken ‘stuff’ with tortilla chips is always a winner to me. Looks fab!
Annette@FitnessPerks recently posted..Katy’s Kettle Corn Popchips Giveaway

37 Debbie @ Healthy Running Mom April 3, 2013 at 12:13 pm

Come on- Red Velvet ice cream.
Must be delicious!
I’ve never seen it. I’ll have to look.

38 Lauren April 3, 2013 at 1:30 pm

Every one of Duff’s ice cream creations makes my mouth water. I’m not a red velvet fan (I know) but all of the other ones look delicious! I always see them in Walmart but never buy them. I wish they made buffalo blue cheese dressing! In my opinion, tuna salad + red onions + relish = keys to the best salads.
Lauren recently posted..Tuesday Tangents

39 Hayley April 3, 2013 at 1:33 pm

I love anything Red Velvet!! That ice cream looks so good ! I will have to try some ASAP!
Hayley recently posted..My amazing Easter Sunday run

40 Alysia @ Slim Sanity April 3, 2013 at 1:44 pm

Pulled chicken sounds so good right now!

so does that ice cream… :)
Alysia @ Slim Sanity recently posted..Mexican Meatloaf

41 Ellie@Fit for the Soul April 3, 2013 at 2:34 pm

I’m just like you!!! I LOOOOVE tuna and chicken salads but the tiny cans are expensive so I end up not buying ‘em! haha.
Ellie@Fit for the Soul recently posted..Review of Ballet Body: Lower Body Extreme Elongation DVD

42 Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny April 3, 2013 at 2:40 pm

I’m the same with coconut..hit or miss. I like the flavor in certian dishes but raw coconut just doens’t do it for me!
Victoria @ Reluctantly Skinny recently posted..WIAW: you’re doing it all wrong!

43 Linz @ Itz Linz April 3, 2013 at 2:50 pm

i love ice cream. the end. :)
Linz @ Itz Linz recently posted..Healthy Goals

44 Cathy April 3, 2013 at 3:02 pm

Your chicken salad sounds delish! I have to get that dressing my hubby and bestie would love it. :)

45 Eating 4 Balance April 3, 2013 at 3:44 pm

Well I see quite a bit of green going on this post! :) Green apples TOTALLY count!

And I’ve never had red velvet cake, but the sinless cake batter ice cream from Cold Stones used to be my favorite flavor!

46 Kristen @ notsodomesticated April 3, 2013 at 4:04 pm

I’ve had that ice cream! I really like it, but I actually prefer the Ben & Jerry’s version of the red velvet cake ice cream. ;) Let’s be honest … I just love ice cream in general!
Kristen @ notsodomesticated recently posted..39 Weeks: Our Big Decision.

47 Arimey April 3, 2013 at 6:20 pm

I love, love, LOVE the Ben & Jerry’s Red Velvet Cake ice cream, so I’m definitely on a mission to find this one and give it a try! YUM! :)

48 Erica @ For the Sake of Cake April 3, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Oooh, I have to hunt down that ice cream!
Erica @ For the Sake of Cake recently posted..WIAW: Easter Successes

49 Jenny @ The Wellness Journey April 4, 2013 at 10:18 am

I LOVE that Red Velvet ice cream!! Ice cream does a number on my stomach so I don’t eat it very often, but I’ll deal with the discomfort for that flavor! lol

50 Jenny @ The Wellness Journey April 4, 2013 at 10:20 am

And I WISH I could say I don’t love chocolate ice cream! HA!
Jenny @ The Wellness Journey recently posted..I’m Not a Foodie, But I Play One on This Blog {Fitblogger Feature!!}

51 Sarah April 4, 2013 at 12:26 pm

I found this recipe on pinterest and I know that you’ve written on here that you have a good liking for Mexican food right now; so I wanted to share.
It’s really easy to make, the trickiest part was actually cutting a piece to eat haha. It got kind of messy but definitely delicious!

52 Mommypage April 4, 2013 at 6:35 pm

Everything sounds so delicious and healthy. Where did you find the Hot Oats? It looks like the perfect breakfast to eat on-the-go. Also, is that your favorite flavor or do they have others?
Mommypage recently posted..Fun Activities Just for Kids, with Kim from 733 Blog!

53 Leigha April 4, 2013 at 7:10 pm

I loove making chicken salad, so good! That ice cream sounds fantastic!
Leigha recently posted..Foodie Pen Pals Reveal Day!

54 Kierston @candyfit April 5, 2013 at 9:51 pm

Ice cream looks amazing as do your Oats! Yummm!
Kierston @candyfit recently posted..#RECIPEFRIDAY: Clean and Savoury Ultra Low Carb Chicken Pizza!